[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross Unearths Solo Version of ‘Ease on Down the Road’ [[Exclusive)

You can listen to the song at this link
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/...oad-exclusive/

Shortly after Diana Ross finished shooting her role as Dorothy in the 1978 film adaptation of “The Wiz,” she rushed to record versions of songs from the movie for “Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz,” an album featuring the Motown star voicing all the roles. Due early in 1979, the collection ended up shelved instead, until now.

With “Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz” finally seeing release this week, Speakeasy today premieres Ross’s solo version of “Ease on Down the Road.” The song appears four times in the movie, most notably as a duet between Dorothy and the Scarecrow, played by Michael Jackson.

Ross’ solo take doesn’t stray far from the movie version. It’s a disco-funk workout so vivid you can almost see the platform shoes stepping to the beat on a light-up dance floor. Ross handles Jackson’s part with ease, and while she didn’t quite summon his vocal power, she sings with precision and finesse without sacrificing feeling.

Released as a single in 1978, their duet reached No. 41 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and No. 17 on the Hot Soul Singles chart, while also receiving a Grammy nomination. The rest of “The Wiz” didn’t fare so well. The movie was savaged by critics and did poorly at the box office, which may have prompted Motown to pull “Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz.”

NBC is reviving “The Wiz” with a live primetime special airing Dec. 3 that will star Mary J. Blige, Queen Latifah, Ne-Yo, Common and Uzo Aduba from “Orange Is the New Black.”

“Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz” is due Nov. 27 on Motown/Universal Music Enterprises..

Thanks, Milven! Listening now. She's cutting up!!! I am so primed for this release. Great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thanks, Milven! Listening now. She's cutting up!!! I am so primed for this release. Great fun!
    It definitely sounds FUN. First listen is a bit strange, as we are so used to the Diana Michael version. And there also seems a discrepancy [[not a bad one) between the slick, almost over-production of the music versus the under-produced vocals -- you just see Ross in the studio playing with the different voices of the different characters.

Great to get the chance to hear this, Milven. Thanks so much for posting.

to me its ok at best i miss michael's vocals along with dianas'

Love this version. Sounds like Diana is having so much fun!

Finally proof that it exist.......................THANK YOU
    ...................Diana sounds raw on her vocals and that is when she is at her best.

I had high hopes for the previously unreleased Diana Ross Sings Songs From the Wiz." What I heard far, far exceeds my expectations and I am simply thrilled. The fire and energy Diana injects into "Ease On Down the Road" is stunning. Thank you Milvan for the heads up on this track, and of course KUDOS to the Motown/Universal team for their dedication in seeing this project finally see the light of day!

I absolutely love this solo version. It's so much fun. I think I may prefer it to the soundtrack versions.

It's going to be interesting how this all plays out. There is so much advertising for The Wiz. The movie is also now Diana's most popular movie. Ease on Down the Road is a small part of her regular set list.

It's never been high up my list of her favorite songs and I look forward much more to hearing some of the rest of these songs because the music from the Wiz was very strong.

It sounds like this was mixed recently, not like this is an original 70's mix. Maybe the album was never fully mixed and mastered until now. Not too sure I like this version compared with the slick Quincy Jones produced soundtrack version. It's missing horns and strings which seems a bit unusual for a song recorded in 1978.