[REMOVE ADS]

Why is Darlene Love in the R & R Hall of Fame?

I know this will be a controversial post, but I'm trying to figure out why she's in the Hall of Fame? I looked on Wikipedia: not one top 40 solo hit. The other hits are with groups. Shouldn't the groups be inducted and not her?

And if we're going to include solo artists from groups, how about Marilyn McCoo? She sang on 23 [[!) top 40 hits for The Fifth Dimension and had some other hits [[including a No. 1) with her husband, Billy Davis, Jr. Maybe The Fifth Dimension is in the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure.

Then they talk about musical influence. Darlene Love wasn't that influential, IMO, in the world of music. That psycho Spector was behind a lot of that, wasn't he?

Hey, she's a fine artist, but I'm not getting the Hall of Fame induction. I can think of some pretty big time names that aren't inducted.

Well, I suppose Darlene has a slight following. She continues to appear on
    Letterman each year, and Spector's always in the news. I LOVE the 5th Dimension!!
    But, you really don't hear too much about them anymore. I do agree with you, many
    more people are overlooked, but I'm proud of Darlene.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    I know this will be a controversial post, but I'm trying to figure out why she's in the Hall of Fame? I looked on Wikipedia: not one top 40 solo hit. The other hits are with groups. Shouldn't the groups be inducted and not her?

And if we're going to include solo artists from groups, how about Marilyn McCoo? She sang on 23 [[!) top 40 hits for The Fifth Dimension and had some other hits [[including a No. 1) with her husband, Billy Davis, Jr. Maybe The Fifth Dimension is in the Hall of Fame, I'm not sure.

Then they talk about musical influence. Darlene Love wasn't that influential, IMO, in the world of music. That psycho Spector was behind a lot of that, wasn't he?

Hey, she's a fine artist, but I'm not getting the Hall of Fame induction. I can think of some pretty big time names that aren't inducted.
    TSUll, you should buy the Darlene Love Anthology released by Ace/Kent and listen to the music and read the liner notes. Then get some of her recordings with Phil Spector.
    Darlene Love had top ten hits, but under other names. The fact that she sang on so many different hits shows just how important she was. She was very influentual to a lot of artists from Luther Vandross to Bruce Springsteen to Mariah Carey.
    Those of us old enough to remember Shindig, recall how important it was to see Darlene Love on TV each week with the Blossoms.
    She is one of the most respected singers in Rock and R&B. She's sung with everyone from Sinatra to Aretha to Elvis to Cher and Dionne Warwick.

The fact that she may not have had a lot of hits under her own name is no reason she shouldn't be in the Rock Hall Of Fame. I had to look up Tom Waits to understand why he was inducted. I don't know his music, but he's obviously influentual to some one.
    Darlene Love deserves to be in the Hall Of Fame.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 12-21-2010 at 09:43 AM.

[[Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry was her first single under the name Darlene Love on Philles label. I thought it
    went to #39 pop. Her second Philles single, Wait 'Til My Bobby Gets Home, went to #24.

Darlene, however, is a singer that has backed up so many artists from Frank Sinatra to U2. Her voice has been
    featured on sooooo many recordings. I think the industry feels they owe her the acknowledgement.

smark21 Guest
    Personally I think chart performance ought to be no more than a minor consideration in choosing who should be inducted into the R and R Hall of Fame. Just because an artist scores a lot of hits doesn't mean they were any good, it just means they were popular at the time. Of course there are some crap acts that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, and chart performance probably plays some role in determining who will be inducted as the Hall is really nothing more than a tacky tourist trap.

Well yes, chart performance shouldn't matter--but the place would fold
    if no one knew anyone in there. Overall, they've done a good job, and
    Darlene deserves her place.

If chart positions meant anything Percy Sledge and Tom Wait wouldnt be in. Percy Sledge is a one hit wonder [[well he did have a few minor hits) that deserves his place in the hall. There is no one hit wonder song that has stood the test of time like When a Man Loves A Woman.

Percy Sledge had major R&B hits following When A Man Loves A Woman. However, I don't know if he is in the R&B Hall of
    Fame. But is he really more deserving to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame over Chubby Checker???

Because the R&RHoF is a PoS.

My hat is off to Ms. Love. I have fully enjoyed her performances forever, including her role in the dynamite play "Me & Mrs Jones" with Lou Rawls. My thanks to the SDF family for helping me to appreciate that she fully deserves this honor. Despite my love for her talent, I was a little bummed out at first over the fact that Tammi Terrell still hasn't been acknowledged despite the iconic impact of her hits and the sheer magnitude of her talent. I'm hoping that the comprehensive Solo Collection recently released on her with so much new material along with the magnificent older releases will make the difference. It's an award-worthy revelation. Again, bravo for Darlene Love.
    Last edited by positivesoul; 12-21-2010 at 10:42 AM.

[B]She is due the nomination ,based on her collective involement in the history of both so called "Black/Soul" music and the tracks that were just considered "Rock and Roll ,simply because they crossed over onto multi programming and consumption by other than .....Blacks. The problem is that there are strict lines or guides drawn when you call yourself TRRHOF. A lot of important people who were not in the front lines are worthy of mention. In this case ,that would open the doors for Joycelyn
    Brown and Gwen Guthrie ,just to name 2. The best is not always known , and or recognized for the important input they made. That needs to be a mission for the HOF.

In a career that started in the late fifties Darlene Love has sang with the who’s who of the music industry. She has been a part of Rock & Roll history in many ways. She even appeared on a weekly ABC-TV music show [[Shindig) when you did not see that many black women on television. She has appeared on Broadway, motion pictures and countless TV shows. Her contributions to the industry are well respected and does in the know are aware of what they are. The R&R Hall of Fame is not just based on hit records it's about what an artist has brought to the industry. To this day Darlene is still working and going strong. She is truly one of Rock & Roll’s pioneers and deserves to be inducted after all these years.

Here is a sample of some of the artists Darlene has recorded with just to name a few.

Elvis Presley
    The Beach Boys
    The Blossoms
    Aretha Franklin
    Frank Sinatra
    Sam Cook
    Doris Day
    Johnny Rivers
    Tina Turner
    Luther Vandross
    Dusty Springfield
    Dick Dale
    Shelly Fabares
    B. J. Thomas
    Herb Albert
    The Ronettes
    Gene Autry
    Betty Everett
    The Righteous Brothers
    Stanley Clarke
    Duane Eddy
    Nancy Sinatra
    Cher
    Bobby Darin
    Dionne Warwick
    James Darren
    Al Casey
    Hal Blaine
    Merry Clayton
    Bobby Day
    Al Kooper
    Kim Carnes
    Last edited by brother_love; 12-22-2010 at 03:47 PM.

I missed her last night on Letterman. I fell asleep. I'm just not a night owl anymore.

Randy, my local paper has her listed as appearing this evening.

Oh, gee, maybe it IS the 23rd! Thanks, reese!

It's on tonight...

This thread shows the basic conflict re: whom should be inducted into "A" RRHOF. Those that know of the history of artists ,that rate for not only for being most popular and having massive sales ,but those behind the scenes and part of multiple groups ,that have come and gone ,but represent and took part in the transitons of the entity known as Rock and Roll ,[[itself a combination of many styles) from one form to the next. And those that may not have had the chance to be made aware of the reasons or history of the person or groups that are inducted that they question. They are only informed of later output of a certain time frame relative to them. For example I have a friend that has only Ohio Players on Mercury. That's his time frame....until...I played the Westbound material for him. Class was in session.
    The history should be pushed more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIhAWJUwepA

Darlene doing Fine Fine Boy with Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen states in the clip if there is any justice Darlene will be a hall of famer.....hmmmmm. I am glad his influence has given Darlene a broader appeal though.