[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Nov 17, 9P-12M ET: An Invictus Hot Wax Festival!!

Howdy Folks! Join me for the start of a number of shows spotlighting the magnificence that was and is Invictus and Hot Wax records! When HDH left Motown...I think they took some of their more amazing tracks with them.
    Tonight, I'll focus on stereo mixes...and next week..the Invictus 45s. Join me tonight for THIS and a whole lot of THAT...on "Nightflight...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and webcasting live worldwide at www.womr.org Thanks! See you on the radio! John

Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  35.3 KB
    Name:  1973-reaching-out-freda-payne-invictus-al-32493-1.jpg
Views: 2999
Size:  97.6 KB
    Name:  cce7d4e41efe5c24a93df0703fd4bc4c.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  126932-050-10A9BE91smallest.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  M_HollandDozierHolland630_0203155.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  21.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Name:  126932-050-10A9BE91smallest.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  M_HollandDozierHolland630_0203155.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  21.5 KB
    ill b here to hear laura lee honey cone chairmen of the board freda payne and whstever other gems u always surprise us with

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    ill b here to hear laura lee honey cone chairmen of the board freda payne and whstever other gems u always surprise us with

Franjoy....so nice to see you....thanks tons!!!

...by the way.....in the STUDIO!!! Howdy!!!

Good morning, and may your wax always be hot!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Good morning, and may your wax always be hot!
    Hey there, Martin....great to have you!!!!

Howdy John! Will lock on in a few minutes. Looking forward to your show.

Best,
    Mike Wheeler

Good Evening John & Justine!

Great show far... Honey Cone & Flaming Ember were the perfect kickoff. Cant wait to hear what else is in store and hope you get a lot of pledges tonight!

It's amazing how many of the Invictus/ Hot Wax records are about infidelity. Do you have the long version of 100 Proof's "Somebody's Been Sleeping..." with you?

How about some Glass House.... Horse & Rider....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    How about some Glass House.... Horse & Rider....
    Yes, Glass House please!!

Thanks so much John! You're the best in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by texassoul View Post
    Yes, Glass House please!!
    You got it!!

Love, love, love this Tom Moulton mix!!! Give me just a little more time.........

Sorry, I knew you did the vocal mix [[one of your very best by the way!). Thought Tom did the instrumental mix.

Thanks for 100 Proof. When I bought their album, that version of "Somebody's Been Sleeping" blew me away.

If we're talking about Glass House, don't forget HDH releasing "Touch Me Jesus" with Darlene Love on lead under that name.

"Don't Let It Rain On Me" would be lovely as well. Just sayin'. ;o))

Hi Johnny,

Hope that we are going to hear Crumbs Off The Table by Glass House and Wants Ads by Honey Cone.

Also are going to be having Andy & George on the show this month or next month for Diana Ross Sings Songs From The Wiz ?

greg jones
    los ángeles, ca

Thanks again John! Top tune!!

Thanks again John! Top tune!!
    do u have crumbs by laua lee or one monkey no show by honeycone

I think the Darlene Love track was intended as a demo, HDH released it as by the Glass House and Darlene Love ended up suing Invictus. Well, they were The Creative Corporation!

I think the Darlene Love track was intended as a demo, HDH released it as by the Glass House and Darlene Love ended up suing Invictus. Well, they were The Creative Corporation!
    Thanks for the story, Martin....GOOD story!!

Dang buffering problem!! ;o[[[[[[

Thanx Johnny,
    I did get to hear both, even though the connection was going in and out and rebuffing.

What i didn't hear was your introduction. Were you able to answer the question on Andy & George ? or is that something that you can't say yet ?

greg jones

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Thanx Johnny,
    I did get to hear both, even though the connection was going in and out and rebuffing.

What i didn't hear was your introduction. Were you able to answer the question on Andy & George ? or is that something that you can't say yet ?

greg jones
    Greg....I have tried numerous times to contact him...but he's not told me if he would be on the show....I'd love to...but it's in his court....

Lovin' this show, John. Thank you!

Lovin' this show, John. Thank you!
    Thank you, Mike...I appreciate that!!!

Such a great playlist tonight, John. I am going to be playing a lot of these songs again this week....

There's so many great tracks on Freda Payne's first album. "Love On Borrowed Time" has always been a favourite of mine [[in the UK, it was unsuccessfully covered by Maxine Nightingale), and over the years "Unhooked Generation" has really grown on me.

By the way, Dionne Warwick was once quoted as saying that she thought her HDH album was over-produced.

I heard both UK and US versions in the 70s, so I don't usually notice the differences too much now. However, that version of "Unhooked Generation" sounds decidedly less fuzzy than I remember.

Great show. I'm looking forward to next week.

Great show tonite Johnny! Loved hearing the combo version you made of Freda's Band of Gold! Yes, i too would love to hear Glass House's version of Want Ads.

Not too surprised that you haven't heard from Andy. He's had one hell of a year with extreme highs and lows and lots and lots of commuting between coasts. Between the losses in his family, his illness and receiving the HAL Award, it's a year he won't soon forgot. Many times, i don't even get responses from him either. Though, when about Your show, you're more likely to get reply from him.

Hey for the show next week on HDH would you consider playing something from HDH's albums on Donny & Marie Osmond. Either from Winning Combination or Donald Clark Osmond?

Baby I'm Sold On You by D&M written by Harold Beatty and Brian Holland is so underrated. Also Brian Holland produced a remake of You've Got Me Dangling On A String on Donald Clark Osmond that is even better than Chairmen of the Board's version. I know there are outtakes from both of those albums as Andy has told me he's heard some of them. Not sure if HDH own the outtakes or Universal. Universal owns the albums as released in 1977 on Polydor/Kolob.

greg jones
    los ángeles, ca.
    Last edited by greg jones; 11-18-2015 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Such a great playlist tonight, John. I am going to be playing a lot of these songs again this week....
    Glen...thanks! More next week!!

I heard both UK and US versions in the 70s, so I don't usually notice the differences too much now. However, that version of "Unhooked Generation" sounds decidedly less fuzzy than I remember.

Great show. I'm looking forward to next week.
    Thanks, Martin!! It's been lots of fun...and the music is so pretty!! See you next week! Man...the difference between the UK and US versions is so remarkable. The UK version is truly raw..the US version quite pop-ish.

Great show tonite Johnny! Loved hearing the combo version you made of Freda's Band of Gold! Yes, i too would love to hear Glass House's version of Want Ads.

Not too surprised that you haven't heard from Andy. He's had one hell of a year with extreme highs and lows and lots and lots of commuting between coasts. Between the losses in his family, his illness and receiving the HAL Award, it's a year he won't soon forgot. Many times, i don't even get responses from him either. Though, when about Your show, you're more likely to get reply from him.

Hey for the show next week on HDH would you consider playing something from HDH's albums on Donny & Marie Osmond. Either from Winning Combination or Donald Clark Osmond?

Baby I'm Sold On You by D&M written by Harold Beatty and Brian Holland is so underrated. Also Brian Holland produced a remake of You've Got Me Dangling On A String on Donald Clark Osmond that is even better than Chairmen of the Board's version. I know there are outtakes from both of those albums as Andy has told me he's heard some of them. Not sure if HDH own the outtakes or Universal. Universal owns the albums as released in 1977 on Polydor/Kolob.

greg jones
    los ángeles, ca.
    Greg...thanks so much. Yeah...I would love to spotlight the new Ross material...

Well Johnny, Andy is saying this morning that there's a new Supremes release the following Friday, Dec 4! Me thinks that with the holidays, he's unable to appear on your show 2 weeks in a row. Oh, to have him a weekly guest and weekly release would be really fab!!

Well Johnny, Andy is saying this morning that there's a new Supremes release the following Friday, Dec 4! Me thinks that with the holidays, he's unable to appear on your show 2 weeks in a row. Oh, to have him a weekly guest and weekly release would be really fab!!
    Had a wonderful chat with our Andy....we talked about working out something....nothing definite at this point, but we'll let folks know when we decide something.