[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diana Ross Lost Album from The Wiz to be released Nov 27

Lengthy review and article.

But I think it's digital only and Tarraborelli says motown fans need to get used to it!

What a nice surprise, I will buy it in any format. I had thought that it really didn't exist and according to Randy there is a lot more in the can [[vault) that we just don't know about. I had thought I heard once that we had gotten just about everything from the vaults. I still believe that "Farewell" exist.

'The Wiz' was awful and so was the music. I'm pleased for those who will be pleased but I'll pass on it!

Once again I must thank and send out praises to Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Harry Weinger. They are the ones who keep the legends of Motown alive.

The music was excellent; I believe it was nominated for 4 academy awards and some of those were music related.

The Wiz is very popular.

I'll be passing on this as its not anything I'm interested in.

i find Randys comments about downloads v cd's irritating to say the least.
    the fans are letting Motown know what they want AND in what format.

cds dying?? There are plenty of stores rammed with cd's and plenty of smaller labels doing excellent reissues on artists past and current.

Pledge music is also a great idea.

Digital Motown? I'll pass thanks. I'll choose how and what product I spend my hard earned money on

It's interesting that Randy is oblivious to the upturn in vinyl sales that is taking place well after the 'death of vinyl' was proclaimed by the cd era.

“Those of us of a certain age are going to just have to surrender to the fact that CDs are on the way out, and there’s nothing we can do about that,” Taraborrelli continued, “the same way we had to surrender to the fact that we weren’t going to be able to get our vinyl"

But he does offer encouragement .....

'If the fans continue to demand the material, and be vocal about it, then it will surface.”

So as long as those who desire cd's are vocal about it.....

Amazing how he tries to threaten by saying:

"If we draw a line in the sand and say we’re not buying digital releases, we’re not going to get ANY releases.”

No, Mr. Taraborelli, if enough people say that 'if you offer only download versions, you will be getting none of my money but if you offer physical product [[cd's) as well as downloads you will be getting both their money and mine' will over time have an impact.

Amen mwmr.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Amen mwmr.
    Double it! It was pretty bad the first time, hehehehehehehehe!

Why can't they do a "deluxe" package on one of the Four Tops classic albums? That's what I want.

Tarraborelli is so so wrong with his statement about cds.

If fans don't buy digital releases, record companies aren't going to throw their rattle out of the pram and just stop releasing stuff completely.

They will look at how else they can extract our money. And if enough of us withhold our money in protest, they will eventually take note. If they are smart.

It happened with vinyl, which is very much alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Tarraborelli says motown fans need to get used to it!
    I would get used to it if they wouldn't take so long between releases. It seems like they think they can't release anything unless it's already being promoted by someone else, like Funny Girl coming out only cuz of the Barbra Streisand anniversary release, and now The Wiz album coming out only cuz of the NBC live special. They wanna say we should get used to it, but they don't even seem confident enough to release the stuff we really would be more interested in, such as the long delayed Supremes A'Go-Go expanded edition. Is there something else with the title A'Go-Go in it coming out soon, maybe then they'll release the Supremes so they can piggy-back off the free promotion. jk!
    Last edited by Buttered Popcorn and so forth; 11-15-2015 at 05:42 PM.

I am really confused with the uproar that the music is not being offered on cds. Maybe someone can enlighten me. My questions are legitimate and not meant to demeaning.
    1. If someone wants a cd, why can't he/she take the digital download and convert it to a cd? Or is it a "CD" only if the company produces the CD?
    2. If the company sent out a cd, how did the music get transferred to the cd....could it possibly be from a digital file?
    3. Is the fascination/obsession with a cd just because one wants something to store in a back closet somewhere, never to be played?

Now here's my opinion, instead of lamenting that we're not getting a cd, let's be thankful and happy that someone is "resurrecting" music from the 1970s in a fresh [[and probably better sounding) format.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    I would get used to it if they wouldn't take so long between releases. It seems like they think they can't release anything unless it's already being promoted by someone else, like Funny Girl coming out only cuz of the Barbra Streisand anniversary release, and now The Wiz album coming out only cuz of the NBC live special. They wanna say we should get used to it, but they don't even seem confident enough to release the stuff we really would be more interested in, such as the long delayed Supremes A'Go-Go expanded edition. Is there something else with the title A'Go-Go in it coming out soon, maybe then they'll release the Supremes so they can piggy-back off the free promotion. jk!
    Totally agree! A good moment for A Go Go would be 2016 -- the 50th anniversary of the first album by a female group to become #1... That should be enough!

This is so exciting. Thank you, Thank you Andy, George and Harry. This is wonderful news. I have always wanted to hear these recordings. Never thought I would get the chance. This is the best news. I know it will be outstanding!

I'll buy it because it's better than not having it. If it was a CD it would probably be more expensive, because fewer people are buying these products, and the company needs to make money on these. And then there would be the same complainers. These are niche items...it's not a greatest hits package. I understand why Harry and Andy and George rarely post here anymore.

What a strange way to learn about this release, i.e., from an obscure urban music site. So much for the Motown business model as is often mentioned on this forum! This release in in twelve days is not even mentioned on the DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES EXPANDED EDITIONS FaceBook page. Does the concept of "marketing" and "promotion" exist in the Motown/Universal business plan? Oops, maybe there is no business plan.

I also find Randy's remarks about how fans should not complaining rather hurtful. He is entitled to his opinion, as are we.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-15-2015 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I'll buy it because it's better than not having it. If it was a CD it would probably be more expensive, because fewer people are buying these products, and the company needs to make money on these. And then there would be the same complainers. These are niche items...it's not a greatest hits package. I understand why Harry and Andy and George rarely post here anymore.
    Actually, this is a FORUM where information and facts should actually be exchanged in order to stimulate diverse and authentic discussion. Perhaps, if we as CUSTOMERS regularly received more facts and information from those involved in the production of the items that we purchase, there would be fewer "complaints." Information and communication are key to understanding differing views and thus would minimize concerns and consternation.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-15-2015 at 07:18 PM.

great news, I look forward to reviewing this in Good Times Magazine and spreading the word on line..I mentioned here when everyone was moaning about the expanded "Copa", I'm not buying this, I'm not buying that, they better release 'whatever' instead on vinyl on cd, on everything./ well they got your message, you're not buying, so they're not releasing, just as i predicted.. Beatles fans buy everything to show their support for the act, Supremes fans, not so much..looking forward to "The Wz" songs..and Randy's comments are TOTALLY right on!.. everyone should also support the Mary Wilson release, which I'll also be writing about soon..
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 11-15-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Fascinating, Jim. I am interested in the data that you have reviewed. Are you saying that Motown has data from some folks on the SDF who choose not to purchase downloads and because of that they have dramatically cut back on their releases? I did not realize that SDF was so powerful. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Why can't they do a "deluxe" package on one of the Four Tops classic albums? That's what I want.
    We're on the same wave length here. I so wish!

Oh well,i have nothing to say really,i agree with Buttered Popcorn and so forth,for the most part.was this the surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I am really confused with the uproar that the music is not being offered on cds. Maybe someone can enlighten me. My questions are legitimate and not meant to demeaning.
    1. If someone wants a cd, why can't he/she take the digital download and convert it to a cd? Or is it a "CD" only if the company produces the CD?
    2. If the company sent out a cd, how did the music get transferred to the cd....could it possibly be from a digital file?
    3. Is the fascination/obsession with a cd just because one wants something to store in a back closet somewhere, never to be played?

Now here's my opinion, instead of lamenting that we're not getting a cd, let's be thankful and happy that someone is "resurrecting" music from the 1970s in a fresh [[and probably better sounding) format.
    We are generally of a certain demographic here and we just prefer the old ways.

We will get used to hitting 'print' and 'burn' because we have to.

I am excited about this release!!! Randy's attitude is a turn-off and very ironic, going to roll my eyes and walk away from commenting further.....

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    We're on the same wave length here. I so wish!

I mean at least one! The "Reach Out" album with the alternate takes, unreleased recordings, the booklet, the works! The Four Tops were popular around the World.

I thought the banner would be the cover.

Sounds like there will be a great learned essay contained therein.

Interesting that Randy mentions there is plenty left in the vault by Diana Ross & the Supremes. I recall when the previous Lost & Found set was released that there was a statement made that there was not much left in the vault, other than a bunch of alternates, live tracks and the Disney album?

Either they have planted Randy to leak information they want to get out or alternatively, Randy is offering his best opinion like so many of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    My questions are legitimate and not meant to demeaning.

1)Unless something has changed, at the heart of the issue is the fact that, in the U.S., the sites offering the 'Diana Ross Sings Songs From Wiz' downloads deliver compressed, low bitrate files [[less than company produced cd quality) rather than high resolution audio.
    Question 2 is demeaning once one considers question 1.
    Question 3 is demeaning because of the asinine assumption about those who collect cd's rather than download files and , in my estimation , on par with Mr. Taraborelli's smugness.

Your opinion is especially valid in areas other than the U.S. where one has greater opportunities for high quality downloads. It does appear that there are a few opportunitiesthat have sprung up in the U.S. but they often involve a greater financial investment for storage and playback.

Has anyone else had issues with the EUR website?

First, it wanted to track my physical location. No thanks.

Then I got a pop-up for a black lady hair product. Um, no.

Then I got a slew of other pop-ups. Gross.

I did happen to see this though, in the article:

The new release includes a beautiful booklet with never-before-published photos of Ross, and a new essay written by the reissue’s producers Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Harry Weinger.

Anyone else feel that "booklet" means "physical"?

There are a lot of booklets that are also digital that can be printed or stored on disc. I will give you more details once I download my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The new release includes a beautiful booklet with never-before-published photos of Ross, and a new essay written by the reissue’s producers Andrew Skurow, George Solomon, and Harry Weinger.

Anyone else feel that "booklet" means "physical"?
    If it's a download-only release, booklet will mean a digital booklet, like the pdf that came with the "Funny Girl" download.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    If it's a download-only release, booklet will mean a digital booklet, like the pdf that came with the "Funny Girl" download.
    Definitely digital only.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    1)Unless something has changed, at the heart of the issue is the fact that, in the U.S., the sites offering the 'Diana Ross Sings Songs From Wiz' downloads deliver compressed, low bitrate files [[less than company produced cd quality) rather than high resolution audio.
    You are right about this, iTunes should be avoided. I have tried to make forum members in Europe aware of the fact that Qobuz offers lossless [[ie cd quality) and high resolution downloads.

In the US, you might want to try Pono. Recently Universal made all the ABC Dunhill releases of the Four Tops available, and they were all offered on Pono as lossless downloads.

And that's another problem with downloads - the country restrictions. Not everything is available everywhere, and not in the same quality. Only customers in certain European countries can purchase from Qobuz, for example. One of those Tata Vega download releases was [[to my knowledge) never made available to download in the UK. Of course one can get around these restrictions, but that would be a big hassle and it's not clear if it's legal, so I won't do that.

With cd releases, you can just buy it and have it shipped to wherever you are.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-16-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Lengthy review and article.

But I think it's digital only and Tarraborelli says motown fans need to get used to it!
    NO. I. Won't. And. I . NEVER. Will.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 11-15-2015 at 11:31 PM.

Randy is so behind the times, it's funny...

Getting old and crotchety but he fits in with many motown fans and artists and he made a living off motown

http://http://finance.yahoo.com/vide...164000186.html

Although I did enjoy Diana's version of "Home" that was included on her boxed set, I will also pass on this release if it is solely a digital release. Was in the car last week and because it was a digital only release, I forgot that "Baby, It's Me" had been released since I have nothing physical or tangible as I do with "diana ross," the two-CD "diana," "Surrender," "Where Did Our Love Go?" etc. The kids today who are used to all things digital were not brought up with this music -- we were. I know Andy Skurow and George et. al. are not the ones making the decisions here and I appreciate that they are trying to get out some of this unreleased music. But I second the opinion that if we just say, "Sorry, not buying it," then they can figure out a way to do a limited run/edition of physical copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    NO. I. Won't. And. I . NEVER. Will.
    Im afraid I have the same negative attitude as you Ngroove. Cd's are not dying out. I was in my local HMV store on Saturday and I was most pleasantly surprised by the number of people purchasing cd's, and not just the over 40's. Maybe the youngsters were buying them as presents but the fact remains - the store was busy.
    I want my music in a physical product and I know I am not alone.
    Hopefully Ace records will come good. I know they are looking into locking into some kind of deal with Universal and they are also looking to expand more into releasing 70's music as well as 60's. We live in hope. In the meantime I shall be ignoring this release just as I did "baby it's me". I may be cutting off my nose etc but I have earned the right to have an opinion on this.

I beg to differ with those that say CD's are not dying out. In New York City, we don't even have a record store anymore. Sure, you can get CD's at Best Buy, where they stock mostly greatest hits and new releases that will sell through, and you can get CD's at Barnes & Noble if you want something from the Top Ten but they don't even have a department anymore. They have a rack. While I prefer CD's when I spend my money, the fact is vinyl is making a comeback but CD's are not. The stores that sell both seem to stock more vinyl than CD's. In this day and age, I would rather have the music than make a stand regarding it not being on CD and do without.

This "CD's are over" nonsense is just that - nonsense! For example - the biggest singer in France, Mylene Farmer, just released her new album. First week sales: physical formats sold close to 104.000 copies. Digital downloads: 6.000!

Albums still sell the most on physical formats [[mostly CD's), especially albums by artists that have been releasing music for a long time. A lot of people still prefer this format, for many reasons - sound quality, booklets etc, not to mention the fact that people have been collecting the releases for a very long time. I have no interest in "collecting" some digital files!

For a short moment I got very excited when I saw the unexpected announcement about this new release - but after the "Baby It's Me" fiasco I quickly started to suspect that history would repeat itself. Sadly, it looks like it will. I had been waiting for "Baby It's Me" for what seemed like an eternity. I had bought all the previous deluxe CD's and loved them. As for BIM, I didn't buy it. And I won't buy any future MP3 releases. I refuse to support this kind of "releases" that almost force fans into buying that format because the record company has decided that's the way it's gonna be. There are loads of deluxe re-issues coming out by several companies [[just look at the RCA albums by Diana Ross) so there is NO reason why her Motown output should be treated any differently.

Also: I am well under 40 years of age, so this is not just about "older people" refusing to "change with the times". Just like loads of people prefer to own their movies on Blu-Ray because of the quality and to add to their collection, there are still many people that want to own their music the same way, for the same reasons. And as for Randy's sad comments, the message has been clear to Universal: it's not a question of not wanting the material, fans do want it - ON CD! Hopefully that will happen one day.

“Some Motown fans are against the notion of digital releases,” Taraborrelli continued. “They demand CD releases, and they’ve made an issue of this by saying that they’re not buying any product that’s not released on CD. That’s not the position to take. By not supporting this album, or any of the other digital releases that have come out of Motown, the message that’s being sent is that nobody wants this stuff.”

I respectfully disagree with Randy. If the message that "they" are hearing is that nobody wants this stuff, then they need to take a second listen. This forum; this thread ALONE is message after message from fans wanting new product. What the fans want is PHYSICAL product. I know, I know: the CD is dead. I have heard it a thousand times. But I've also heard that video killed the radio star. It's absurd.

What I can't grasp is this: how much does it ACTUALLY cost to produce a CD? If Mary Wilson can get her boutique "Up Close" released, and Martha can get her "Home to You" on CD, how difficult, ESPECIALLY since all of the work; the mixing, the booklet, etc is DONE, what is the actual cost? $5.00? $10.00? So, you sell it for $39.99. Or $49.99. I would gladly pay $50.00 for a copy of "Funny Girl". To complete the collection I started.

I certainly can appreciate all of the "red tape" involved in all of this; I just can't comprehend why this is so difficult. I know Andy and George work so hard on these beautiful, collectible masterpieces. I applaud them for all of their hard work. Thank Baby Jesus they are Diana Ross/Supremes fans. I think if not, we'd get nothing. Period. So whomever "they" are, listen to this: let the boys continue to do their amazing work and allow them to give the fans what we truly want.

Respectfully.

Recent Love of Motown CDs appreciation:

Recently have finished buying / collecting the Hip-O Select 50th Anniversary Singles Collections of Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, Diana Ross & the Supremes, the Temptations, and still waiting on the delivery of Four Tops, coming any day soon now. They are purely well-most presentable music / products that I am most PROUD to own, add to my music collection. Three CDs, etched with either the images of the singers through the transitions, or the Motown division they recorded on, inside gorgeous hardbound BOOKS that I can pull out anytime, no need to worry that battery's running out on those haha, and enrich myself on the singers / Motown history.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 11-16-2015 at 02:23 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    I think this is great news and can't wait for the release. While I prefer a cd, I will take the music via whatever means is available - including digital!

I forgot I had BIM as well.

I would prefer a physical cd.

But I've followed billboard too long to think vinyl is more than a niche market and that CDs haven't declined.

I got a new truck in September and have yet to shut off streamed radio and put in a cd.

Randy's comment aren't very popular here but I believe he's right.

Sorry, Motown Universal, but in a competitive marketplace, ignoring customers who want to buy your product is not a good move.

I'll say it again:

#NOCD=NOSALE

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    Sorry, Motown Universal, but in a competitive marketplace, ignoring customers who want to buy your product is not a good move.

I'll say it again:

#NOCD=NOSALE
    spot on

and burning downloads to cd is illegal even for personal use.

as some else posted both Mary & Martha have produced, and self financed cd's ... As do loads of other smaller labels... The plain truth is Universal can't be bothered

Good points, Mary Brewster.

I have always wondered if the sales are really there to make it viable for a big corporation like Universal to turn its head and say, "Hey! Let's release more Supremes projects!" There are certainly enough fans, but maybe not enough die hard fans who are willing to buy every single thing that comes out. Point in case, just look at how many people here are saying they will not purchase this album on iTunes. While I am sure they are big Ross fans, obviously they aren't the kind of fan who needs to own everything, otherwise they would stop at nothing to own this release. I remember when projects like "I Hear A Symphony [[Expanded Edition)" and "Diana Ross [[1976) [[Expanded Editon)" were released, there were various comments made by fans who said, "Well I really don't need to have an overpriced CD set with just more alternate versions and three new unreleased songs, or with another live concert that is similar to the others". You can even find the same comments in reviews that have been posted for these releases on Amazon. Only 2,000 copies of the Expanded Edition of "I Hear A Symphony" were printed, as far as I know, unless they printed an additional batch later on, this release is still available after three years. Fans want physical CD's but many aren't supporting the existing projects in the first place. It's no wonder that the "A Go-Go [[Expanded Edition)" is still nowhere to be found.

Yes, there are smaller speciality labels putting out product, but they are operating in a niche market. For Universal, this is very small fish in a huge ocean. They are struggling to keep their sales up as it is, as the music industry is not what it used to be. There's been a lot of changes. The last thing on their mind is that they need to green light the release of Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing Funny Girl on CD, which is unfortunate for us. They are focusing on trying to up their sales by millions, not just a few thousand. iTunes means a very quick and easy release, without having to coordinate any addition effort or make any additional investment of time or finances into printing, physical distribution, etc.

Even FunkyTownGrooves, who had been putting out a ton of reissues in the past few years, is stalling at the moment.

There's a physical release coming out in February of the Motown Revue in Paris, with 12 unreleased tracks, including two new ones from The Supremes. This is the chance for fans to support, but I've already read comments like, "I already have the original LP".

Hope I'm wrong.

Excellent Carlo. My fear as well. I said exactly that about the Mototown Revue - "don't we already have that?"

One line I have often heard is that for the most part, Motown didn't match the sales of groups like the Eagles, Beatles, and Led Zepellin and other rock bands.

This consistent struggle to reissue much and to do so in such small numbers raises all these questions you set out.