[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patti Labelle Sweet Potato pie

This is hilarious. Got to say, her pie looks underdone to me!

Wasn't it Brad that replied to this posting explaining that you are supposed to heat the pie before eating it. This guy just took it out of the box and took a piece - suddenly it was gone.

lol

This 'guy' is surely an XXXXL sized female, Patti LaBelle wannabe.....

She's kind of sweet in her way, but totally nuts....

Oh, what a sketch Jonathan Winters as Maude Frickert could have made out of this.....LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    This 'guy' is surely an XXXXL sized female, Patti LaBelle wannabe.....

She's kind of sweet in her way, but totally nuts....

Oh, what a sketch Jonathan Winters as Maude Frickert could have made out of this.....LOLOL

That is a woman. For the record, my Mom makes the best sweet potato pie! LOL!

We'll look forward to a recipe! Sweet potato pie is much more popular in the U.S., than here in the UK.

And......we must be getting old, and also the world is moving much faster.

I double checked, and we're wrong. That is not a female after all! It's a male, named James Wright Chanel...and, Patti LaBelle called him, after he posted the clip on You Tube........

Patti should end up with a truck load of money from this one. Reviews of her pie are popping up all over the internet and they are all positive. Go Patti1

As of last week she has sold over 2 million "Patti Pies" at $3.83 per pie......that's $7.6 million!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    As of last week she has sold over 2 million "Patti Pies" at $3.83 per pie......that's $7.6 million!!!!
    3.83$ for a premade pie? That's damn cheap! Or is that her profit?

You know, we grow a lot of sweet potatoes every year, but we never make pie out of them. They are so good, they don't need no help in the sweetness department by putting them in pie. We use Pumpkins for pie making.

I heard Walmart was out of Pattis pies.

We'll look forward to a recipe! Sweet potato pie is much more popular in the U.S., than here in the UK.

And......we must be getting old, and also the world is moving much faster.

I double checked, and we're wrong. That is not a female after all! It's a male, named James Wright Chanel...and, Patti LaBelle called him, after he posted the clip on You Tube........

He has breastesses...... .and his voice! That's what led me to believe he was a woman. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    3.83$ for a premade pie? That's damn cheap! Or is that her profit?
    That is the sell price Jill! The pies must not be that big. My Mom cooks 4-5 for Thankgiving and they bigger than the Patti Pie.

You know, we grow a lot of sweet potatoes every year, but we never make pie out of them. They are so good, they don't need no help in the sweetness department by putting them in pie. We use Pumpkins for pie making.
    Jill sweet potato pie is noticeably much sweeter than pumpkin pie, but the granddaddy of pies that are sweet are my favorite ...........pecan pies! Loaded with sugar and calories too.

Hey check this out :

Sweet Deal:His Viral Video is Making Millions for Patti Labelle’s Sweet Potato Pies

http://thereelnetwork.net/sweet-deal...t-potato-pies/

That's the link I saw, and then quickly discovered that who I had thought was 'she', was really a 'he'.

I'm now sat here wondering if this is all quite as it seems, or if it is really a very slick, carefully set-up marketing campaign.

Well, if that is so, then it certainly seems to have worked! LOL

That's the link I saw, and then quickly discovered that who I had thought was 'she', was really a 'he'.

I'm now sat here wondering if this is all quite as it seems, or if it is really a very slick, carefully set-up marketing campaign.

Well, if that is so, then it certainly seems to have worked! LOL
    I believe it was authentic. Unless someone can tell me how 8 million people were led to his Facebook page to see this video .

Heck i can go down to da hood and get one of greasy grady's[ almost i'm not sure and don't wanna know,maybe it is but maybe it ain't]homeade hand made pies for $1.00...of course you have to show your health card at the door.

Jill sweet potato pie is noticeably much sweeter than pumpkin pie, but the granddaddy of pies that are sweet are my favorite ...........pecan pies! Loaded with sugar and calories too.
    It all depends on your pumpkins. Those little sugar pumpkins are just as sweet as sweet potatoes, pumpkin from a can is basically made but big ole jack-o-lanterns.

I at least want to give Patti's pie a taste test but the Walmart near me is sold out and you have to randomly check to see if it's back in stock. My vote is for sweet potato pie over pumpkin. I've never tasted a pumpkin pie that had the flavor or anything else over a pie made from sweet potatoes.

That is the sell price Jill! The pies must not be that big. My Mom cooks 4-5 for Thankgiving and they bigger than the Patti Pie.
    I hate to say this.. BUT, for that price, there ain't no way these pies could be made with quality ingredients, you just wouldn't make a profit. Then again, I'm SPOILED, I grow my own sweet potatoes, and when I make a pie, I know nothing even from a fine bakery can compare.

I hate to say this.. BUT, for that price, there ain't no way these pies could be made with quality ingredients, you just wouldn't make a profit. Then again, I'm SPOILED, I grow my own sweet potatoes, and when I make a pie, I know nothing even from a fine bakery can compare.
    Jill my ex brother in law makes these deep dish sweet potato pies, he also makes some out of white potatoes. His first cousin is actor James Earl Jones and says that's how they made them in their family.

Jill my ex brother in law makes these deep dish sweet potato pies, he also makes some out of white potatoes. His first cousin is actor James Earl Jones and says that's how they made them in their family.
    I question the size of the pie for that amount. I heard someone say that it weighs one pound. Do you brown your crust?

What made you think that was a female, anyway? I saw a clip on CNN about it, and he was clearly a man.

Good thing I never liked sweet potato pie!

He has breastesses...... .and his voice! That's what led me to believe he was a woman. LOL!
    Maybe he's either in the middle of a sex change or he smokes too much weed.

I question the size of the pie for that amount. I heard someone say that it weighs one pound. Do you brown your crust?
    Yes.. I think her pies don't look done enough, IMO... I see artificial coloring, too.. no real sweet potato pie is quite THAT shade of orange. There is a HUGE difference among sweet potato varieties, ones that are commercially grown are bred for their ability to be shipped without damage, not for their flavor. I've never purchased a sweet potato in a store that I would even consider "edible". The variety I grow is called "Beauregard".

I suppose the next product from Patti's kitchens will be "Lady's Marmalade"...

Y'all haven't been around many flamboyant gay black men, have you? He was surely getting his LaBelle on though. Y'all don't know about Patti and the LGBT community support?

Anyway, $7.6 million!? From that video's word of mouth? Wow... in the words of Lil' Kim, "get money!" Haha

My mom made 5 Sweet Potato pies yesterday. There is only one and half left now LOL! Years ago when she would come to NY for Thanksgiving, she'd make them at my house and make extra for relatives of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Y'all haven't been around many flamboyant gay black men, have you? He was surely getting his LaBelle on though. Y'all don't know about Patti and the LGBT community support?

Anyway, $7.6 million!? From that video's word of mouth? Wow... in the words of Lil' Kim, "get money!" Haha
    Naw, here you go, which should be New York City's Anthem! LOL!

Y'all haven't been around many flamboyant gay black men, have you?
    I haven't been around many gays at all, but it was obvious he was a man. He looked like a man and had a man's voice.

My mom made 5 Sweet Potato pies yesterday. There is only one and half left now LOL! Years ago when she would come to NY for Thanksgiving, she'd make them at my house and make extra for relatives of friends.
    I went to a dinner at some in-laws yesterday. All they had was sweet potato pie and a homemade dutch apple cherry pie. I don't like either one, so I passed on dessert. I like pumpkin, apple, and pecan pies.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I went to a dinner at some in-laws yesterday. All they had was sweet potato pie and a homemade dutch apple cherry pie. I don't like either one, so I passed on dessert. I like pumpkin, apple, and pecan pies.
    My mom's Sweet Potato Pie and my Aunt Dorothy's Banana Pudding are the things I always looked forward to enjoying at the holidays.

I am surprised at how popular sweet potato pie is. Around here, most people aren't too crazy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Damn he could almost take Patti's job. He's good.

^^ I forget how the trend started but I think sweet potato pie had its origins in the post-Civil War South, I think? Not sure. It's been popular for centuries especially in black American communities.

^^ I forget how the trend started but I think sweet potato pie had its origins in the post-Civil War South, I think? Not sure. It's been popular for centuries especially in black American communities.
    You pretty much have it. My grandmothers both baked them. It is a standard in the black community.

You pretty much have it. My grandmothers both baked them. It is a standard in the black community.
    I'm Black American, but I never heard of it being part of Black-Americana until a decade ago. Maybe it's a southern thing?

I'm Black American, but I never heard of it being part of Black-Americana until a decade ago. Maybe it's a southern thing?
    It is definitely from southern heritage. You'd be hard pressed to find African Americans with roots in the Southern U.S. than have not had sweet potato pie.

It is definitely from southern heritage. You'd be hard pressed to find African Americans with roots in the Southern U.S. than have not had sweet potato pie.
    You are aware that there are generations of Blacks who either do not have roots in the south, or have been out of the south for so long that the heritage has been rendered insignificant.

I know SO many people who think sweet potato pie is the be all and end all. Since I grow my own sweet potatoes, we don't put them in pie..we just eat them like baked potatoes. They are good enough to eat without any "help" from other ingredients. Pumpkin on the other hand, needs sugar and spices added.... therefore, makes it ideal to be made into pie. We make mince pie and pecan pie many times... always with whipped cream [[None of that fake cool whip shit)

You are aware that there are generations of Blacks who either do not have roots in the south, or have been out of the south for so long that the heritage has been rendered insignificant.
    Being a Southerner myself, I get that other black people who grew up in other regions of America might not have had the same experiences, but there were so many families who moved from the South that they brought that culture there [[Patti's family included, I heard that her family had moved to Philly from Georgia?).

Being a Southerner myself, I get that other black people who grew up in other regions of America might not have had the same experiences, but there were so many families who moved from the South that they brought that culture there [[Patti's family included, I heard that her family had moved to Philly from Georgia?).
    The side of my family that I most closely identify with and know come firmly from the midwest, and they do not have any southern traditions - except for fried chicken, catfish fried in cornmeal, served with rice and hot sauce and collard greens, coconut cake, and maybe cornbread. We didn't eat much cornbread or any chit'lins, They STANK! The side of my family that did come from the deep south moved away and did not eat any southern foods. Then, half of us live out west, so we are far removed from any southern culture.

I know SO many people who think sweet potato pie is the be all and end all. Since I grow my own sweet potatoes, we don't put them in pie..we just eat them like baked potatoes. They are good enough to eat without any "help" from other ingredients. Pumpkin on the other hand, needs sugar and spices added.... therefore, makes it ideal to be made into pie. We make mince pie and pecan pie many times... always with whipped cream [[None of that fake cool whip shit)
    How do you make your whipped cream Jill. Mine always turns out real real sweet. Would you mind sharing your whipped cream recipe please?

Thank you

Roberta

Yes, I am aware. I went to school out West in Colorado and met a number of black folk that did not have 2nd or 3rd generation roots in the American South. There are a huge number in New York that have no connection to the South but more so to the Caribbean and South America.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    How do you make your whipped cream Jill. Mine always turns out real real sweet. Would you mind sharing your whipped cream recipe please?

Thank you

Roberta
    You put it in a bowl and whip it. That's all. I don't like sugar or anything in mine, I want it plain. The pie has the sugar in it.

Talking

You put it in a bowl and whip it. That's all. I don't like sugar or anything in mine, I want it plain. The pie has the sugar in it.
    Thanks. Ive been using heavy whipping crea, and half a cup of sugar for years so Im going to leave out the sugar this Christmas and put the unsweetened cream on top of the pie.

Fondly,

Roberta

Half a cup! Even people who like it sweet don't use near that much. They just use a tablespoon.

Patti LaBelle is making a killing off of these pies right now!

For all the post here, has anyone tasted "the pie." I gave up early trying to find one myself. Also, the way a SPP looks can be deceiving as far as color is concerned and has nothing to do with taste as you can add this or that to vary or change the color.

I had some on Thanksgiving day. It turned out that my mother had bought the pie weeks ago before the furor but had no idea that it was a Patti pie. In any event, it tasted just fine to me. I had three slices.