[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Though I was born and raised in Detroit my parents were both from Tennessee. Sweet potato pie has always been a part of out household growing up. Every time that I taste pumpkin pie it seems as if something is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    And yes he really does have some pipes on him. I saw an interview where he said he auditioned for the Voice some years ago but said those type of shows are bs

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The side of my family that I most closely identify with and know come firmly from the midwest, and they do not have any southern traditions - except for fried chicken, catfish fried in cornmeal, served with rice and hot sauce and collard greens, coconut cake, and maybe cornbread. We didn't eat much cornbread or any chit'lins, They STANK! The side of my family that did come from the deep south moved away and did not eat any southern foods. Then, half of us live out west, so we are far removed from any southern culture.
    Gotcha but yeah I get that some black families didn't stay in the South long enough to partake in some of the "sweeter" food...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Gotcha but yeah I get that some black families didn't stay in the South long enough to partake in some of the "sweeter" food...
    Some of our families weren't even there during the Reconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I had some on Thanksgiving day. It turned out that my mother had bought the pie weeks ago before the furor but had no idea that it was a Patti pie. In any event, it tasted just fine to me. I had three slices.
    Thanks Reese, I'll try again to find it since Thanksgiving has come and gone.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Heck i can go down to da hood and get one of greasy grady's[ almost i'm not sure and don't wanna know,maybe it is but maybe it ain't]homeade hand made pies for $1.00...of course you have to show your health card at the door.
    And ol Greasy accepts pennies!!

They are a guilty pleasure, folks. For sure. Miss Patti now has a Buttermilk Pie at Walmart.

Patti says she's diabetic. That she cooks, "but only tastes the food...you got to put health first." And she continuing the food line. " With Walmart.. Savory Frozen Soul Food, " announced at the 25th. Essence Festival. Yummm!!

Winner In Me needs a deluxe re-issue. Lovely album. Oh People had a great UK 12” remix that’s yet to appear on CD, likewise, as far as I know, the b-side, Love Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by alanconnor_1 View Post
    Winner In Me needs a deluxe re-issue. Lovely album. Oh People had a great UK 12” remix that’s yet to appear on CD, likewise, as far as I know, the b-side, Love Attack.
    I still have that on 12" vinyl. I recall there being a lovely ballad on that album called Kiss away the pain, but other than On my own and oh people i found it to be a disappointing album. I shall have to give it another listen. Maybe i missed something. It was her most successful album in the US and UK so it probably is surprising that it never got the expanded treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I still have that on 12" vinyl. I recall there being a lovely ballad on that album called Kiss away the pain, but other than On my own and oh people i found it to be a disappointing album. I shall have to give it another listen. Maybe i missed something. It was her most successful album in the US and UK so it probably is surprising that it never got the expanded treatment.
    I thought it was a good album but it was sort of trendy in that poppy 80s sort of way. I much prefer her Philadelphia International recordings as well as her later MCA albums.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I thought it was a good album but it was sort of trendy in that poppy 80s sort of way. I much prefer her Philadelphia International recordings as well as her later MCA albums.
    Me too. Her Philly albums were superb, and i really enjoyed the majority of her MCA albums with the exception of Winner in you and the one which contained her version of If you asked me to, the title of which currently eludes me. She did some really strong albums at MCA.

Me too. Her Philly albums were superb, and i really enjoyed the majority of her MCA albums with the exception of Winner in you and the one which contained her version of If you asked me to, the title of which currently eludes me. She did some really strong albums at MCA.
    That album was entitled Be Yourself. I concur about the quality of both; Patti was never an album artist, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeny63 View Post
    patti says she's diabetic. That she cooks, "but only tastes the food...you got to put health first." and she continuing the food line. " with walmart.. Savory frozen soul food, " announced at the 25th. Essence festival. Yummm!!
    i hope that walmart ain't in da hood,the last time i saw something in their-frozen foods thinggy,it had a sign that read-enter at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That album was entitled Be Yourself. I concur about the quality of both; Patti was never an album artist, at any rate.
    It was only when the Philly albums came out that i really listened to her albums. I think her 80's and 90's albums were very consistent with the exception of the previously mentioned two. Be Yourself was particularly bad, but i did like her version of If you asked me too which later proved its hit potential for Celine Dion.

I still love the Epic lp's, having great memories of Patti's live concerts at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Though I was born and raised in Detroit my parents were both from Tennessee. Sweet potato pie has always been a part of out household growing up. Every time that I taste pumpkin pie it seems as if something is missing.
    My mother makes the best Sweet Potato Pies on Earth!

It was only when the Philly albums came out that i really listened to her albums. I think her 80's and 90's albums were very consistent with the exception of the previously mentioned two. Be Yourself was particularly bad, but i did like her version of If you asked me too which later proved its hit potential for Celine Dion.
    Her best albums to me were "Patti LaBelle" [[the 1977 debut was flawless imho), "Tasty", "The Spirit's in It", "I'm in Love Again" [[her best album by far), "Winner in You", "Burnin'" and "Gems".

"Be Yourself" was very hit and miss. MCA didn't know whether to keep her in the pop field like they did with "Winner in You" or have her go new jack...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    my mother makes the best sweet potato pies on earth!
    marv,if patti hears that she won't let you shop at walmart anymore,hehehehehe!

marv,if patti hears that she won't let you shop at walmart anymore,hehehehehe!
    I don't care. I'll let mama tell her for me LOL! We'll show up at Beluah Baptist Church over there in Philly one Sunday morning and show out! LOL!

I don't think that patti wants to mess with-mama,hehehehehe!!

I don't think that patti wants to mess with-mama,hehehehehe!!
    Especially after she's bought Patti's records and concert tickets all these years! Can you imagine if Patti were to get huffy now? LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    especially after she's bought patti's records and concert tickets all these years! Can you imagine if patti were to get huffy now? Lol!!!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!