[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can Adele Save the Music Industry or Just Slow Its Demise?

I saw her on the Music Awards at Cannes on TV last night. She won an award and sung a song called Hello in English.

I'm not up to speed on this lady yet...but she seems to be well loved by the French.

Save the music industry from what? There are so many talented performers right now.

There is a lot of activity in France at the moment and these new kids on the block are even appealing to an old timer like me.

Seems a strange kind of thread. And I'm not sure why all the references to France as Adele is a very well established English singer. True she exudes quality and is not un-soulful but it seems a bit much to burden her with saving the music industry. Adele has longevity by comparison with others these days, but even she won't stay around forever. Music still thrives, it's just evolving. Yet there seems to be a lot of vinyl getting released once again. What goes around comes around in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Seems a strange kind of thread. And I'm not sure why all the references to France as Adele is a very well established English singer. True she exudes quality and is not un-soulful but it seems a bit much to burden her with saving the music industry. Adele has longevity by comparison with others these days, but even she won't stay around forever. Music still thrives, it's just evolving. Yet there seems to be a lot of vinyl getting released once again. What goes around comes around in a different way.
    The reason there are references to France is because I am in France at the moment and Adele is appearing here.

Quote Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
    Save the music industry from what? There are so many talented performers right now.
    Exactly...Geeze, I never heard so much hype and bullshit theory in my life. So now people
    think music just evaporated in the time this one chick's been out of the studio? Somebody
    should hurry up and tell all of the other singers they can quit now...

Michael Jackson met with this level of hype and expectation when he released Bad after the mega selling Thriller. Adele's following up the biggest selling album of the decade so of course the press is interested as shes been the only artist to buck the downward spiral in music sales. It probably won't match 21's numbers thanks to streaming becoming the norm but it will still be huge....

Just goes to show, when true talent comes along, the buying public grabs onto it and hold on for dear life.

Thank god Adele has got nothing to do with Motown! BTW IMHO there are far better singers out there who just haven't had the hype that she has. She's not a bad singer, just nothing special. Only my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Thank god Adele has got nothing to do with Motown! BTW IMHO there are far better singers out there who just haven't had the hype that she has. She's not a bad singer, just nothing special. Only my opinion of course.
    Who might these people be?

+That was a ridiculous question. The CBC should be ashamed. There are whole demographics that have never even heard of her before but regularly listens to and buys music. She's not saving anything.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-08-2015 at 03:26 PM.

This girl has nothing to do with Motown. Who started this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Ledisi Anibade Young aka "Ledisi" for one. Janelle Monáe if they ever get her the right material.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Janelle Monae for one if she gets the right material. Ledisi Anibade Young aka Ledisi can sing with the best of the classic singers. Jobeterob you'll know this one............Jully Black! But none of this Motown related.

Adele is one of those rare artists in today's very fragmented music industry that just appeals all across the board. Other artists who SHOULD appeal to everyone either, as Marv said, don't have the right material or are not promoted right. Adele has all of that. Not too many artists these days don't. The industry doesn't understand that teens don't buy records, adults do [[and still have).

Don't understand why this is in the Motown section myself.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Janelle Monae for one if she gets the right material. Ledisi Anibade Young aka Ledisi can sing with the best of the classic singers. Jobeterob you'll know this one............Jully Black! But none of this Motown related.
    Truth spoken here. I know there are a lot of people pushing Adele as a savior of some type
    and that's their right if they wish. I won't her of them but I do take issue with so many ignoring other great voices and artists in the biz on both sides of the pond. Hell, any of the ponds. I still like Jazmine Sullivan, really have fallen in love with relatively new singer Somi
    and Alice Smith is one of the most versatile artists I've heard this side of jazz in a long damn
    time. If the folks at Motown knew what they were doing they would have signed her...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Truth spoken here. I know there are a lot of people pushing Adele as a savior of some type
    and that's their right if they wish. I won't her of them but I do take issue with so many ignoring other great voices and artists in the biz on both sides of the pond. Hell, any of the ponds. I still like Jazmine Sullivan, really have fallen in love with relatively new singer Somi
    and Alice Smith is one of the most versatile artists I've heard this side of jazz in a long damn
    time. If the folks at Motown knew what they were doing they would have signed her...
    Splanky this is called HYPE! Her PR people are probably behind it to get her more attention. If Adele is agreeing to this approach, lord help her! She'll be at the bottom of the list in America before you know it. She has nothing whatsoever to do with Motown, so why Jobeterob put it here is suspect.

Carmel
    PJ Harvey
    Neneh Cherry
    Marianne Faithfull
    Paloma Faith
    Alison Goldfrapp
    Nona Hendryx
    Sharon Jones
    Grace Jones
    Josephine
    Buffy Sainte-Marie
    Suzanne Vega
    Anna Calvi
    Elle King
    Kate Bush
    Birdy

To name just a few who don't have the power of hype behind them. As I said Adele is OK but she's not saving anything!

+That was a ridiculous question. The CBC should be ashamed. There are whole demographics that have never even heard of her before but regularly listens to and buys music. She's not saving anything.
    The industry is not dead. The traditional model we know is changing, though. It's not about putting a CD out and buying it at the local record store. It's about:

decreasing quantities of CDs being manufactured [[at least here in the U.S.)

fewer avenues for physical distribution

streaming services such as Tidal, Pandora, iTunes, and Spotify accounting for about half of music listening now

the sales of vinyl overtaking CD sales

Concerning Adele: The market for music is very fragmented. The days of genre and demographic-crossing mass superstars are long over. I may be in her alleged demographic, but I am not a fan. Her music does nothing for me. I don't like her voice. It grates on my nerves.

This girl has nothing to do with Motown. Who started this thread?
    I propose that the mods eliminate specific Motown and Soulful Detroit sections. I think the fortum, and the music scene has grown beyond those boundaries. I know, it's a topic for another thread, and there will be strong resistance, but it is worth seriously looking at.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-08-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Carmel
    PJ Harvey
    Neneh Cherry
    Marianne Faithfull
    Paloma Faith
    Alison Goldfrapp
    Nona Hendryx
    Sharon Jones
    Grace Jones
    Josephine
    Buffy Sainte-Marie
    Suzanne Vega
    Anna Calvi
    Elle King
    Kate Bush
    Birdy

To name just a few who don't have the power of hype behind them. As I said Adele is OK but she's not saving anything!

I could double that list, but thank you Copley for making the point I was hoping to make!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The industry is not dead. The traditional model we know is changing, though. It's not about putting a CD out and buying it at the local record store. It's about:

decreasing quantities of CDs being manufactured [[at least here in the U.S.)

fewer avenues for physical distribution

streaming services such as Tidal, Pandora, iTunes, and Spotify accounting for about half of music listening now

the sales of vinyl overtaking CD sales

Concerning Adele: The market for music is very fragmented. The days of genre and demographic-crossing mass superstars are long over. I may be in her alleged demographic, but I am not a fan. Her music does nothing for me. I don't like her voice. It grates on my nerves.

I propose that the mods eliminate specific Motown and Soulful Detroit sections. I think the fortum, and the music scene has grown beyond those boundaries. I know, it's a topic for another thread, and there will be strong resistance, but it is worth seriously looking at.
    More great points made! The point that should be abundantly clear to everyone is that the market for music and entertainment is very fragmented and has been that way since the expansion of cable tv and the internet! Gone are they days of radio stations that played a good cross section of artists and musical styles. Gone are the big television Variety Shows that were show on 2-3 large television networks where the majority of the population tuned into the same show or shows each week. There are no "mass market" stars today.

Motown gets the views so I put it here.

Streaming is taking over. I got a new vehicle that comes with Sirius. And I haven't put a CD in it since I got it a month ago. By the way, Sirius [[I think Soul Town) said Mary Wilson was from the Temptations the other day! Kind of complimentary.

I don't think the industry is dieing. But the money has been bled out of it by the Internet and the public. Now the artists have to tour for money.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Now the artists have to tour for money.
    When I click on the main page of Soulful Detroit recent comments from other sections
    show up in a sidebar. That's how I first saw this thread. I hadn't set out to read the Motown
    threads and I'm sure others found it the same way. If I wanted to start a conversation about
    Ben Carson's presidential chances I wouldn't put it here just because people who only read
    the Motown Forum and follow one singer or group wouldn't see it otherwise. But maybe
    that's just me...BTW, artists have had to rely on constant touring for money long before the
    internet...

Like it or not, Motown is part of the music industry and Motown product is subject to the same trends as the rest of the industry in the main - so I think this thread is actually OK for the Motown Forum given the way the thread has evolved. It is interesting and not yet another Ross/Supremes topic.

And it really appears the industry continues a steep decline that has been going on for 15 years or so. The demise of Hip - O surely is just part of this.

Like it or not, Motown is part of the music industry and Motown product is subject to the same trends as the rest of the industry in the main - so I think this thread is actually OK for the Motown Forum given the way the thread has evolved. It is interesting and not yet another Ross/Supremes topic.

You are reaching. This has nothing at all to do with Motown.

Money money money. Isn't a transistor radio similar to streaming. I may buy one. Do they still exist?

Adele is not a Motown artist so no it's not "okay".

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Adele is not a Motown artist so no it's not "okay".
    I don't really know why Adele is in any of these forums. She is a great talent for sure. I have seen her live twice and loved her, but does she really belong here?

That is the very reason I suggest that the specific two music forums be eliminated. Too many threads aren't seen because many members don't click on all three forums, or use the "New Posts" option.

Streaming is taking over. I got a new vehicle that comes with Sirius. And I haven't put a CD in it since I got it a month ago. By the way, Sirius [[I think Soul Town) said Mary Wilson was from the Temptations the other day! Kind of complimentary.
    Streaming has taken over because it's cheap, and the masses really don't want to buy physical product anymore. I personally don't like streaming for several reasons, but i'm also not your typical music consumer.

I was driving to another city last Saturday night and happened to land on Soul Town. The good news is that they are back to playing deeper cuts rather than just the tired old hits. But, damned if they can get their information correct!

I don't think the industry is dieing. But the money has been bled out of it by the Internet and the public. Now the artists have to tour for money.
    Artists always had to tour to make the money, but now it's an absolute necessity, and the ticket prices show it. Also, it's somewhat rare for a single artist to headline a show with an opener. They do these festivals with several big-name artists now.

The industry has always been a mess, you have labels who keep artists tied to these stupid contracts, the streaming issue is really because when artists and songwriters signed those contracts, the label already gets a chunk of that artist's money. When labels did contracts with streaming companies, they left the artist and songwriter out. Once Spotify and Pandora blew up, artists went on an anti-streaming rampage when really it's the labels they should be going after. As much as I read about contracts, I don't get how many still get tricked to sign these contracts, knowing as much as I know about how contracts stifled artists anyway. This is probably why the industry is struggling as it is. Streaming allows a lot of music to be heard in ways you probably couldn't with radio, which is why I don't mind it. Streaming is why I'm into a lot of newer artists, like Years & Years for example.

The industry has always been a mess, you have labels who keep artists tied to these stupid contracts, the streaming issue is really because when artists and songwriters signed those contracts, the label already gets a chunk of that artist's money. When labels did contracts with streaming companies, they left the artist and songwriter out. Once Spotify and Pandora blew up, artists went on an anti-streaming rampage when really it's the labels they should be going after. As much as I read about contracts, I don't get how many still get tricked to sign these contracts, knowing as much as I know about how contracts stifled artists anyway. This is probably why the industry is struggling as it is. Streaming allows a lot of music to be heard in ways you probably couldn't with radio, which is why I don't mind it. Streaming is why I'm into a lot of newer artists, like Years & Years for example.
    The industry has always been a controlled mess with the labels always having the upper-hand. Even Prince learned that if you want to go anywhere and make money, you have to deal with the [[major) labels. The labels handle the promotion, distribution, and manufacturing, and the artist pays for all of that. How the music gets to the end user is the other matter. The industry lost control when the original Napster, Kaazaa, Grokster, Bearshare, and all the rest, gained popularity, and now the industry is finally getting it back. It's just not the old business model they tried in vain to preserve for the last decade and a half.

And, now, because of Apple's iTunes, the demise of the record store, big-box retailers dropping the CD, and the constant missteps of the record industry over the last twelve or so years, the CD has fallen out of favor and is being replaced with downloads and vinyl. Even cassette tapes is gaining in popularity among young people.
    Last edited by soulster; 11-09-2015 at 04:59 PM.

I think the posts by Midnightman and Soulster are good summaries.

The real nub of the problem is that the money from CDs is gone, gone, gone. Many of the downloads are free. The streaming costs next to nothing. I have a lifetime subscription to
    Sirius which is now 8 years old. I pay nothing. I got it as a Christmas present in 2007 for a hundred dollars or so.

So the money is gone.

Since this thread is non Motown related and is off of the subject. I don't know much about Adele, but I am going to at least keep this in Detroit. You see, this is the singing, the talent I grew up with. Anything this Adele is doing is not soul. Give me Soul! Give me the Queen! Give me Aretha!

Last edited by marv2; 11-10-2015 at 06:27 AM.

Since this thread is non Motown related and is off of the subject. I don't much about Adele, but I am going to at least keep this in Detroit. You see, this is the singing, the talent I grew up with. Anything this Adele is doing is not soul. Give Soul! Give me the Queen! Give me Aretha!

Correct. Adele is a fine talent and shines like a beacon in these lean times but she sure as hell ain't soul. No way.

"Oh Me Oh My" it's a great song - I love Lulu's version too.

At least Aretha has had releases on Motown.

I'm seeing a thread about the state of the music industry and entirely relevant to Motown. Adele was just a vehicle for it. I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy her stuff though, even if it was on Motown.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 11-10-2015 at 08:31 AM.

I'm seeing a thread about the state of the music industry and entirely relevant to Motown. Adele was just a vehicle for it. I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy her stuff though, even if it was on Motown.
    Lulu did indeed record a fine version. I never took much notice of her due to the bubblegum pop she churned out but now I realise what a talented vocalist she is.

I don't see Adele as relevant to Motown or soul music as I recognise it. But the PR machine constantly cranks away at trying to brand a UK female singer as the next soul diva......

my post from February 2011......

Ah, I thought it was only me!

From my post 25th feb this year;

I have seen too many false dawns in the UK of the next great British soul singer, and they just don’t fill those shoes. Over recent years in the UK, we have had a tidal wave of hype launching the careers of so-called Soul Divas; Duffy, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Estelle, Joss Stone, and Leona Lewis. Singers they are. Soul Divas they ain’t! It’s the PR machine trying to market them into a retro fashion market.

Anyway, not to worry...she's moving away from the soul market and onto something new....just like Joss Stone did...

Adele To Explore Country Music On Third Album
    As her sophomore LP 21 reaches yet another milestone in America...
    15:30, Thursday, 4 August 2011
    Adele has revealed that she has "fallen in love" with country music, so much so, that she hopes the genre will influence her third album.

The Someone Like You singer, who is due to perform at the 2011 MTV VMAs later this month, claims to The Sun that she hopes to experiment with country and bluegrass sounds for the follow-up to her hit record, 21.

23-year old Adele explained: "I was exposed to a lot of country, rockabilly and bluegrass because I was touring for such a long time,"

"The melodies and to-the-point lyrics I have found in a lot of American styles of music is definitely something I'm going be pursuing heavily from now on."

The Rolling In The Deep hitmaker added: "I want to spend some time in Austin in Texas and Nashville, Tennessee, and learn about it."
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 11-10-2015 at 11:42 AM.

I am only familiar with her last album. It was very good. Adele is not a soul singer and does not sing soul music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Lulu did indeed record a fine version. I never took much notice of her due to the bubblegum pop she churned out but now I realise what a talented vocalist she is.
    Lulu was/is Soulful! We bought or rather my parents bought single and the soundtrack "To Sir With Love" back in the sixties.

Is Adele's record company working on crossing over to black audiences? Is that what this is about. I did not read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    I don't see Adele as relevant to Motown or soul music as I recognise it. But the PR machine constantly cranks away at trying to brand a UK female singer as the next soul diva......

my post from February 2011......

Ah, I thought it was only me!

From my post 25th feb this year;

I have seen too many false dawns in the UK of the next great British soul singer, and they just don’t fill those shoes. Over recent years in the UK, we have had a tidal wave of hype launching the careers of so-called Soul Divas; Duffy, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Estelle, Joss Stone, and Leona Lewis. Singers they are. Soul Divas they ain’t! It’s the PR machine trying to market them into a retro fashion market.

Anyway, not to worry...she's moving away from the soul market and onto something new....just like Joss Stone did...

Adele To Explore Country Music On Third Album
    As her sophomore LP 21 reaches yet another milestone in America...
    15:30, Thursday, 4 August 2011
    Adele has revealed that she has "fallen in love" with country music, so much so, that she hopes the genre will influence her third album.

The Someone Like You singer, who is due to perform at the 2011 MTV VMAs later this month, claims to The Sun that she hopes to experiment with country and bluegrass sounds for the follow-up to her hit record, 21.

23-year old Adele explained: "I was exposed to a lot of country, rockabilly and bluegrass because I was touring for such a long time,"

"The melodies and to-the-point lyrics I have found in a lot of American styles of music is definitely something I'm going be pursuing heavily from now on."

The Rolling In The Deep hitmaker added: "I want to spend some time in Austin in Texas and Nashville, Tennessee, and learn about it."
    It sounds like she has aspirations to become a Country singer .

*BUZZER* Wrong! Aretha was never on Motown...

Motown isn't just about the music industry, it's about a sound and people who defined the sound. Adele =/= Motown. Cut it out. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The industry has always been a controlled mess with the labels always having the upper-hand. Even Prince learned that if you want to go anywhere and make money, you have to deal with the [[major) labels. The labels handle the promotion, distribution, and manufacturing, and the artist pays for all of that. How the music gets to the end user is the other matter. The industry lost control when the original Napster, Kaazaa, Grokster, Bearshare, and all the rest, gained popularity, and now the industry is finally getting it back. It's just not the old business model they tried in vain to preserve for the last decade and a half.

And, now, because of Apple's iTunes, the demise of the record store, big-box retailers dropping the CD, and the constant missteps of the record industry over the last twelve or so years, the CD has fallen out of favor and is being replaced with downloads and vinyl. Even cassette tapes is gaining in popularity among young people.
    Strange thing about it is people still buy CDs... the industry doesn't know its music fans, I tell you.

Strange thing about it is people still buy CDs... the industry doesn't know its music fans, I tell you.
    I didn't say people weren't buying CDs, but, at least for here in the U.S., they aren't buying them in large quantities anymore, not like even ten years ago. The reasons are because of what I mentioned above, and others.

I think the article lists the most recent decline in CD sales ~ you can't even buy them in stores like Costco anymore.

And it is only listing the most recent declines; it's been going on for 15 years.

Isn't this why Hip O Select isn't able to release hardly anything? And why Funny Girl was digital only? It certainly isn't because Andy and George want it that way.

It is because of the record industry malaise.

[QUOTE=midnightman;309895]*BUZZER* Wrong! Aretha was never on Motown...

I'm afraid Aretha has definitely been released on Motown - and to prove it...
    Attachment 10653

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-B...elease/6023549
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 11-10-2015 at 03:40 PM.

LMAO that doesn't count. Aretha wasn't signed as an artist. Only Motown "connection" is she lives in Detroit and she was close to some of the Motown luminaries like Mary, Florence, Diana, the Four Tops, Smokey, Stevie and the Temptations. Nice try though. Can we move on already? LOL she's also inadvertently connected because some of the songs she performed were Motown originals. But other than that...

It is because of the record industry malaise.
    No, it isn 't. It's because the market, and consumer demands have changed, and the industry is simply responding to that. If you have a problem with not being able to buy a CD, look no further than iTunes, Best Buy, and Walmart.