[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Motown Motortown Reviiew in Paris Reiissue packages - Pledge Musix

Interesting this morning to receive an email from Pledge Music, I receive them as I have supported many artists in releasing their own music without a major record company. But today's was about many different packages now available to support with the Motown - Motortown Review in Paris re-issue, with several products both vinyl and CD as well as other items.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/...mpaign=person7

Bit disappointed that the Velvelettes EP wasn't included.............

But then they were not on the tour....sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    But then they were not on the tour....sadly.
    Did they ever tour outside America ? I don't think so but I may be wrong...

An interesting concept. A release happens only if it receives enough pledges. Well, I've ordered my copy of the Motown Review in Paris. I hope it hits its target.

I would have loved the French EP set too - if it had been issued in CD form.

An interesting concept. A release happens only if it receives enough pledges. Well, I've ordered my copy of the Motown Review in Paris. I hope it hits its target.

Only 21 pledges as of 5 minutes ago for these. They are listing them all of their website - photo's and all if you ordered via the link on Facebook!!!!
    Last edited by booty; 11-05-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Update

What is the target number for just the 2 disc CD? How is this being publicized?

They are asking for credit card payment now. I don't understand this. Not a complaint, just not clear.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-05-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Only 21 pledges as of 5 minutes ago for these. They are listing them all of their website - photo's and all if you ordered via the link on Facebook!!!!
    What is their Facebook site?

LTF . It is not their Facebook site. It seems that if you go to their ordering page via a link in Facebook and pledge a purchase your FB name and FB photo come up on their pledges page.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Did they ever tour outside America ? I don't think so but I may be wrong...
    Not at the time.....but they do now....Spain, UK....in the future who knows !!

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post

Are you ordering from your hospital bed?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    What is the target number for just the 2 disc CD? How is this being publicized?

They are asking for credit card payment now. I don't understand this. Not a complaint, just not clear.
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one who doesn't understand what's going on. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    LTF . It is not their Facebook site. It seems that if you go to their ordering page via a link in Facebook and pledge a purchase your FB name and FB photo come up on their pledges page.
    Actually, booty, I just found it. They do have a Facebook site. Just type in "Pledge Music' on the Facebook search tool.

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/motort...ction-reissued

Apparently Universal is promoting this....I guess the fans have to put their money where their mouth is on this one....might be a way to get other projects back into physical form, although Universal has no problem issuing all the Marvin Gaye Lp's on vinyl and CD's....

I went ahead and ordered the CD version...

The test pressings have already sold out!

Looks great and I will plunge but once again something we've largely had already on CD [[in that lovely Motortown Revue set). Still I suppose there's probably enough of a difference and the prices seem fairly reasonable.

Sorry about the typo errors in the title thread, you can't amend in edit! lol

No problems, at least here in the UK.

Unsure where you are based but, in old British English, 'Aye Aye' is said in agreement, as in 'Yes, even so'.

'For aye' means 'forever'.

So, entirely appropriate for the subject of this thread.....

Are you ordering from your hospital bed?
    Yes John I am. The wonders of a smart phone.

I don't see a release date for the $26.00 two CD set. I'd like to support this venture but it's not clear.

I don't see a release date for the $26.00 two CD set. I'd like to support this venture but it's not clear.
    "And, happily, ever recorded: capturing the sets performed on 13 April 1965,Recorded Live: Motortown Revue In Pariswas released in November ’65 – and is now reissued on both 2CD and 3LP formats by Universal via PledgeMusic on 12 February 2016, complete with previously unreleased recordings."

That is a problem with Pledge Music, its for the enthusiast, as it is used by most artists to finance recordings and pressing, they usually sign copies and photo's, would not have thought Universal needed finance first? February seems a long time.

So, are they dependent on pledges [["pre-orders") to make this happen?

So, are they dependent on pledges [["pre-orders") to make this happen?
    I'm glad you are asking the questions I'm thinking.

Surprised they took the money immediately, other pledge support I have made have only taken it when they have raised funds needed. so it is in their bank for nearly three months? haha

Typically, online pledge drives show a bar graph indicating how much pledge money they have received so far and how much more they need.

Update:

13 NOVEMBER, 2015

All twelve previously unreleased tracks confirmed & can now be revealed.

Hi everyone we now have the final track list for both the 2 CD Super Deluxe Edition and the 3LP Vinyl Super Deluxe Edition of the “Motortown Revue in Paris” and the good news is that it is even more complete and includes even more unreleased material than we first thought possible.

Both the CD and the Vinyl will now include the entire show with these twelve previously unreleased live tracks.

Martha And The Vandellas
    Heat Wave
    Wild One

Stevie Wonder
    Jazz-Blues Instrumental
    Make Someone Happy

Earl Van Dyke
    All About My Girl
    Too Many Fish In The Sea [[alternate performance)

The Supremes
    Come See About Me
    People

The Miracles
    I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying
    Wives And Lovers
    Come on Do The Jerk
    Mickey’s Monkey [[unedited version)

All the tracks are being remastered to the highest possible quality from the original tapes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Update:

13 NOVEMBER, 2015

Hi everyone we now have the final track list for both the 2 CD Super Deluxe Edition and the 3LP Vinyl Super Deluxe Edition of the “Motortown Revue in Paris” and the good news is that it is even more complete and includes even more unreleased material than we first thought possible.

Both the CD and the Vinyl will now include the entire show with these twelve previously unreleased live tracks.

Martha And The Vandellas
    Heat Wave
    Wild One

Stevie Wonder
    Jazz-Blues Instrumental
    Make Someone Happy

Earl Van Dyke
    All About My Girl

The Supremes
    Come See About Me
    People

The Miracles
    I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying
    Wives And Lovers
    Come on Do The Jerk

All the tracks are being remastered to the highest possible quality from the original tapes.
    Many of us do not understand the marketing for this product.

1. If we pay for the two CD set now are we in fact "pledging" so that you know how many copies to make and if it is affordable for you to continue?

2. Or if we pay now, is this a guarantee that we are actually buyingthis product? And when will we receive it?

3. Is this release "endorsed" by Motown/Universal like the ACE CDs are?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions in a specific manner.

Many of us do not understand the marketing for this product.

1. If we pay for the two CD set now are we in fact "pledging" so that you know how many copies to make and if it is affordable for you to continue?

2. Or if we pay now, is this a guarantee that we are actually buyingthis product? And when will we receive it?

3. Is this release "endorsed" by Motown/Universal like the ACE CDs are?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions in a specific manner.
    Longtimefan,

Johnny_raven posted the update which appears on the website, I don't think he's behind this release.
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/.../updates/62063

I'm new to PledgeMusic and not entirely sure, but as I understand it, this is a "pre-order" of a title that will be released in February 2016. I don't believe the release depends on the number of pledges, though it makes sense for them to use this number for guidance when deciding how many units to produce.

From the website: "Motown’s latest release, Motortown Revue in Paris Super Deluxe Edition is now available to pre-order via PledgeMusic. The Label have lovingly restored and remastered the audio and artwork of this much-vaunted live recording from the original Tamla Motown masters."

So this is a Motown [[Universal) release from the master tapes. Note also that "have lovingly restored and remastered" suggests that they've already done this remastering. Also, as you stated in an earlier post, there's no "target" amount for this release, as there is for many others on PledgeMusic, which again makes me believe that it doesn't depend on the amount pledged.

Finally, on another page they write: "If it’s a pre-order or the artist has funded their project you will be charged immediately or if your Artist hasn’t reached their target you’ll be charged when they do [[Paypal payments and gift pledges are always charged immediately but PledgeMusic will refund you if the Artist doesn’t reach their target)."
    http://www.pledgemusic.com/learn/fans

They are asking you to make a firm commitment to purchase it, which I can understand - they don't want people pulling out of their pre-orders [[as many do on Amazon), leaving them with a large number of unsold items.

I suppose this release could also be a test - if it sells well, we may see more expanded cd releases via pledgemusic. If not, well... back to the downloads!

Incidentally, I found that Universal Music Canada began a partnership with Pledgemusic two years ago.
    http://www.billboard.com/biz/article...niversal-music

From that article:
    "In addition, artists often use PledgeMusic to sell pre-orders for albums that will get a traditional release to retail. This option is well suited for record labels. Frontline releases on record labels don't need funding from fans. Catalog releases, especially expensive items like box sets, benefit by creating demand and reducing risk before the release. "You can assess demand really early," says Rogers."
    Last edited by calvin; 11-14-2015 at 08:52 PM.

I have purchased the two CD Super Deluxe Edition which I feel is a fair price to pledge. With all the pledge projects I have supported what I do credit them for is they keep you well updated with email's.

This is the one I received yesterday;

Martha And The Vandellas
    Heat Wave
    Wild One

Stevie Wonder
    Jazz-Blues Instrumental
    Make Someone Happy

Earl Van Dyke
    All About My Girl

The Supremes
    Come See About Me
    People

The Miracles
    I Gota Dance To Keep From Crying
    Wives And Lovers
    Come on Do The Jerk

This is wonderful news. I don't think there's another complete Motortown Revue show in the Vaults - certainly not one this early [[1965).

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 10.59.39 PM.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  14.7 KB
    I wanted to support this "pledge" effort and got to the VERY END of inputting multiple information for my order including all of my credit card information and personal identification data when a screen suddenly came up [[attached) indicating that I NOW had to agree to abide to PayPal regulations before I could continue -- even though I was using my credit card.

Sadly, they have lost my business. For my own reasons, I want no association with PayPal nor do I even know what Pledge Music wants me to "agree to." The fact that this requirement for my "agreement" did not appear until the end of the process is curious. In my opinion, this is a poor marketing strategy.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 11-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Sorry to hear that, longtimefan. The website shouldn't prompt you to create a paypal account if you're paying by credit card, so something went wrong. I wonder, did others who paid by credit card have a problem? [[I pre-ordered the 2-cd set but paid with paypal.) You could try contacting PledgeMusic but it sounds like you're already fed up.

This might not be the only way to buy this cd. In my post above [[which I've added to since first posting), I mentioned the partnership between Universal Music Canada and PledgeMusic. It suggests to me that Universal is using PledgeMusic here for the pre-order process to get some firm sales and an estimate of the overall demand before producing the physical product [[as well as to advertise the release). They may well produce some extra units to sell through Amazon and other large online retailers. Also, some of the pledgers are buying multiple copies; I guess they're planning to sell these on, though the price will presumably be higher than this pre-order price.

I also expect that it will be available to purchase as a download later.
    Last edited by calvin; 11-15-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Thank you for posting about this. I had no idea. I will be ordering the 2 CD. I collect vinyl as well, but it is a bit much and 3 LP's is a lot to be flipping and changing. Also, I don't like that the second side of the second LP ends with The Supremes' first number and then continues onto the third disc. I know they probably had to do it that way because of timing.

Here's hoping we can expect to see more releases soon, if this does well.

Edit: I am pleased that the listed price including the shipping cost. Looking forward to February!
    Last edited by carlo; 11-15-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Today's update email!

Final "Motortown Revue In Paris" - 3 LP Vinyl Super deluxe edition Track list.

Here is the final track list for the Motortown Revue In Paris on a strictly limited edition 3 × 12″ vinyl set.
    This set has been remastered from the original studio tapes and includes 12 previously unreleased live tracks.

LP 1
    Side A
    Introduction by Harold Kay
    Earl Van Dyke Sextet:
    1. All For You
    2. See See Rider
    3. Too Many Fish In The Sea^
    Side B
    Martha & The Vandellas
    1. Heat Wave *
    2. Wild One *
    3. If I Had A Hammer^
    4. Nowhere To Run^
    5. Dancing In The Street^

LP 2
    Side C
    Stevie Wonder
    1. Jazz-Blues Instrumental *
    2. Make Someone Happy *
    3. Hi-Heel Sneakers^
    4. Funny How Time Slips Away
    5. Fingertips^

Side D
    Introduction by Harold Kay
    Earl Van Dyke Sextet
    1. All About My Girl*
    2. Too Many Fish In The Sea *
    3. Soul Stomp *
    The Supremes
    4. Come See About Me *

LP 3
    Side E
    The Supremes
    1. Baby Love^
    2. People *
    3. Somewhere^
    4. Stop In The Name Of Love
    5. You’re Nobody ’til Somebody Loves You
    6. Shake

Side F
    The Miracles
    1. I Gotta Dance To keep From Crying *
    2. That’s What Love Is Made Of
    3. Wives And Lovers *
    4. Oooo Baby Baby
    5. Come On Do The Jerk *
    6. Mickey’s Monkey [[unedited version) *

^From original LP, issued November 1965 [[U.S.), February 1966 [[U.K./Europe)
    PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

Just hope this project is supported well and it leads to other releases as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Just hope this project is supported well and it leads to other releases as well.
    Yes, and here's a chance for those who say they will support a physical product but not downloads - the first physical expanded release from Universal in quite some time. If it does well, there will be more. If not, back to downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    This is wonderful news. I don't think there's another complete Motortown Revue show in the Vaults - certainly not one this early [[1965).
    Since this show was recorded in 1965, this release could also serve to extend the copyright on the tracks that were not released as part of the original album. But it's coming out in February next year, isn't that a bit too late...? Or is it perhaps enough that it's announced as a firm release and people are already paying for it now?

FROM THE MOTOR CITY TO THE CITY OF LIGHT

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/.../updates/62244

Maybe these tracks will appear on a digital "Motown Unreleased 1965" at the end of this year?

RossHolloway Guest
    I just signed up!

I'm only buying the 2-cd set, but there are some nice pictures of the EPs here:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/.../updates/62963

Credit them as most Pledge Music items so they are keeping us well informed by email with developments, and I agree Calvin some great cover photo's.

From a Universal Music Group website - the first record [[on the Columbia label) of Motown music that listed session musicians:

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/motown...-little-secret

It also gives a pre-order link for the Motortown Revue in Paris Super Deluxe Edition, taking one to the PledgeMusic website.

So far, it looks like about 450 items have been pre-ordered, which includes both cd and vinyl.
    Last edited by calvin; 12-14-2015 at 10:27 AM.

I have that album. There's a few more albums like that which contain similar information.

I asked Mrs Edwards about the information on these albums. She told me that it was she who was sending it to Kurt Mohr in France. As soon as Mr Gordy found out, he insisted that she stop.

I have that album. There's a few more albums like that which contain similar information.

I asked Mrs Edwards about the information on these albums. She told me that it was she who was sending it to Kurt Mohr in France. As soon as Mr Gordy found out, he insisted that she stop.
    Right, here are the notes on the back of a Jr Walker LP :

And the beautiful cover :

Last edited by phil; 12-14-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks for posting that, Phil. Looks like it was some time before Berry found out and stopped it, that LP has a track from July 1966.

You're welcome Calvin, Kurt Mohr was the man behind this. I found an old thread when he passed : http://faac.us/adf/messages/150056/1...tml?1195862305

and another one on the French LP's : http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/1...tml?1179084309

Actually, it's worth taking the pledge to receive these fascinating updates.