[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Factual Errors in "The Temptations" Movie

Whoever put this together had the right intent, but they missed quite a few factual errors in the Temptations Movie. How many more can you add?

Paul Williams didn't commit suicide outside the studio while they were recording "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" as suggested in the film.

very good find

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Paul Williams didn't commit suicide outside the studio while they were recording "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" as suggested in the film.
    Exactly! Good one! They had him shooting himself in the temple using the wrong hand......

Here's one. The movie shows 2 Primes and 3 Primettes performing onstage together. That never happened. First of all there were 3 members of the Primes and 4 members of the Primettes. They never performed together onstage.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...ok,when otis and blue meet berry in the mensroom,blue says-the things you are doing with motown..there was no motown then,it was hitsville..when otis asked blue about the ruffin brothers,otis already knew both of them.

Say, how was the representation of later Temptations on the "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", and Reunion Tour scenes? Was the actors who supposedly played Daimon Harris and Glenn Leonard, just fill-in posers, or "Temptations" in their own rights with acknowledgement on their parts in the legacy? Was their "character's" names on the end credits?

The Temptations, with careers that doubled most of their contemporaries, they were still recording artists when the movie was made and still for several years more, coulda been stretched to three parts, than two. Extend David Ruffin scenes to add in "Since I Lost My Baby", Dennis Edwards for "Runaway Child, Running Wild", "Let Your Hair Down", and "Power" on their Motown return, 1980, Ali-Ollie Woodson for "Treat Her Like A Lady", maybe even 1991's "Hoops of Fire".

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...ok,when otis and blue meet berry in the mensroom,blue says-the things you are doing with motown..there was no motown then,it was hitsville..when otis asked blue about the ruffin brothers,otis already knew both of them.
    Boom! Bang! Pow! LOL! You know your stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Say, how was the representation of later Temptations on the "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", and Reunion Tour scenes? Was the actors who supposedly played Daimon Harris and Glenn Leonard, just fill-in posers, or "Temptations" in their own rights with acknowledgement on their parts in the legacy? Was their "character's" names on the end credits?

The Temptations, with careers that doubled most of their contemporaries, they were still recording artists when the movie was made and still for several years more, coulda been stretched to three parts, than two. Extend David Ruffin scenes to add in "Since I Lost My Baby", Dennis Edwards for "Runaway Child, Running Wild", "Let Your Hair Down", and "Power" on their Motown return, 1980, Ali-Ollie Woodson for "Treat Her Like A Lady", maybe even 1991's "Hoops of Fire".
    First let me say, the music was second to the drama. It was like background noise. No the characters Richard Street and Damon Harris were not treated as full fledged Tempts in the film. I don't recall if they even had any speaking parts. The central focus of the film were the original members. They do not mention Ricky Owens, Ron Tyson or Ali Woodson at all by name.

Here's another huge factual error. They filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and not Detroit! The style of houses are totally different in each city./ Pittsburgh is hilly, while Detroit is mostly flat. Pittsburgh does not look at all like the Detroit of the 50s and 60s.

I was there the night Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin reunited for the first time. The night they got the idea of putting together an act and taking it on the road. That was on December 31, 1984 at the Premier Center in Sterling Heights, Michigan when Eddie opened for Mary Wilson and her Supremes New Year's Eve gala concert. The film says that there were two Tempts groups on the road at the same time back in 1982. Not true! Also they show Eddie and David meeting at some dive lounge and getting together. Not true!

Looking back at the movie, it shows how much DISRESPECT Richard Street got throughout it. Another member is singing "Come On", they have "Dennis" doing his part in "Papa", etc.

I know it was focused on the classic five plus one but you'd think they show Richard more respect than they did in the film...

Also, what got me is how they did David. David was sent to a hospital after he OD'd, not dragged out of a car in what looked like a G-DAMN BLOODY STRUGGLE!!!

Oh and of course Melvin in a wheelchair dying in the kitchen of his mama's home in Detroit. We know he died in a hospital bed in Los Angeles from seizures.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Looking back at the movie, it shows how much DISRESPECT Richard Street got throughout it. Another member is singing "Come On", they have "Dennis" doing his part in "Papa", etc.

I know it was focused on the classic five plus one but you'd think they show Richard more respect than they did in the film...

Also, what got me is how they did David. David was sent to a hospital after he OD'd, not dragged out of a car in what looked like a G-DAMN BLOODY STRUGGLE!!!

Oh and of course Melvin in a wheelchair dying in the kitchen of his mama's home in Detroit. We know he died in a hospital bed in Los Angeles from seizures.
    Ok now you have really hit upon some very sore spots for me. The scene that had Melvin dying in his mother's home was a complete lie. He died in a hospital. David was not thrown from a car [[Thank you Ms. DePasse!). She didn't like him to begin with. Also, because this is OTIS' story which came from his book "Temptations", Richard Street gets treated like he was some bit player. HA! He was in the mix before they even got to Hitsville. He was Diane Ross' boyfriend before Berry and all the rest of them. He sang on many of their hits. He should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! He was also the first member of the Temptations to actually come from Detroit. I grew up with some of his cousins, so I know!

Poor David. They made him look like a complete asshole! Where's the David that would hand money to poor kids on the street; buy them things. He was so very down to Earth, even when he was at the Top!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Yeah. Richard got treated like a dog in the film. Just totally UNFAIR to the man who gave TWENTY ONE YEARS to that group, including the early Distants recordings, and that's the thanks he get?! And yeah I forget Suzanne de Passe produced that. She's also the reason the Jacksons' biopic was so jarring to watch... totally forgetting the Jackson 5 were already seasoned professional musicians before signing with Motown for example. Never ever trust Suzanne with a Motown biopic!

And yeah they treated the legendary David Ruffin DIRTY.

Yeah. Richard got treated like a dog in the film. Just totally UNFAIR to the man who gave TWENTY ONE YEARS to that group, including the early Distants recordings, and that's the thanks he get?! And yeah I forget Suzanne de Passe produced that. She's also the reason the Jacksons' biopic was so jarring to watch... totally forgetting the Jackson 5 were already seasoned professional musicians before signing with Motown for example. Never ever trust Suzanne with a Motown biopic!

This why a bio-pic has not been produced on their biggest group, the Supremes. Too many liberties would to be taken to have a certain diva come out smelling like a rose.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This why a bio-pic has not been produced on their biggest group, the Supremes. Too many liberties would to be taken to have a certain diva come out smelling like a rose.
    True. The same can be said about Berry Gordy as far as Marvin & Stevie are concerned...

The Jackson's movie did have quite a few factual errors, but they didn't come by the dozens like the Tempts though. I'm glad the Marvin Gaye project with Jesse L. Martin fell through. If they can't tell the whole story with the music, they shouldn't tell it at all. If only the producers of the Aaliyah movie had done the same.

Yeah I know lol but they still made several factual errors. It sure had unintentional comical errors [[remember the scene where MJ's hair caught on fire and he collapsed DOWN the stairs?! WTF was up with that scene!?) and of course Marlon didn't join the group on the spot with Jackie, Tito and Jermaine. I think Michael joined before Marlon joined, I think lol

But yeah the MG project wouldn't have worked anyway. I actually hope no movie comes out on Marvin or anyone related to him like Tammi. They'll never tell the whole truth anyway. It'll be best for documentaries and such.

True. The same can be said about Berry Gordy as far as Marvin & Stevie are concerned...
    True ,but Berry never pretended to be something other than what he was! If you know his history before and after he became wildly successful, you know he is that same guy. I want to go see him this weekend in Cleveland. He is hard to describe to make people understand that have not met or talk with him before. When I talk to him, it is like talking to one of my uncles or guys my dad knew. His story is currently performed on stage. I doubt we'll see a movie. As you know, he controlled what was presented in "Motown the Musical".

Marvin and Stevie's stories would make good movies. Their families would make very compelling subjects. There should be a statue erected of Stevie's mom somewhere for the all things she had to endure in her life, giving Stevie a start in life....whew!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    The Jackson's movie did have quite a few factual errors, but they didn't come by the dozens like the Tempts though. I'm glad the Marvin Gaye project with Jesse L. Martin fell through. If they can't tell the whole story with the music, they shouldn't tell it at all. If only the producers of the Aaliyah movie had done the same.
    Jboy88, that is how I feel. People wanted to believe that Dreamgirls was the true story of the Supremes, when it [[in parts) mostly reflect "events" from Florence Ballard's life. The other characters did not even come close to their real life Motown counterparts in reality.

I am very much looking forward to the film on Little Willie John someday. That should be a action packed, riveting drama to say the least.

One thing I should have asked Martha was whether or not she was at the Temptations audition and was it like it was depicted in the film. The film never mentions anything about Melvin Franklin and Richard Street being cousins. Nor did they show Rick James around the time of the reunion.

Hey marv,if you really want to knitpik[hehe]when they recorded[just my imagination]eddie was already sporting the gotee that he would wear til his death.

Oh and while we're at it[hehehe]where were melvin's sisters?

Yeah I'm mad they didn't at least give Eddie the goatee and mustache when they were recording Just My Imagination lmao they didn't show him with one until a mid-1970s flashback of him recording Boogie Down lol

Hey marv,if you really want to knitpik[hehe]when they recorded[just my imagination]eddie was already sporting the gotee that he would wear til his death.
    You know I like knitpicking LOL! That is true what you said about the goatee, but did you also notice that Eddie Kendricks in the movie was shorter than all the other guys? LOL!

Yeah I'm mad they didn't at least give Eddie the goatee and mustache when they were recording Just My Imagination lmao they didn't show him with one until a mid-1970s flashback of him recording Boogie Down lol
    Yeah see and some folks are always giving Suzanne DePasse such high praise [[mostly misguided Diana Ross fans do that). She always struck me as not having the proper respect for the Motown artists and legacy. She's worked for the company for years and she didn't realize any of this? She just doesn't care....

Quite a few people were left out of the story! No mention was made about Otis's other wives or his stepdaughter.

David was depicted as a life long bachelor, when he was really a genial, yet very flawed family man! I understand the use of his character as the comic relief, but they didn't have to go that far! The real David was a jerk with a heart of gold. In the film, he's just a jerk!

Quite a few people were left out of the story! No mention was made about Otis's other wives or his stepdaughter.

David was depicted as a life long bachelor, when he was really a genial, yet very flawed family man! I understand the use of his character as the comic relief, but they didn't have to go that far! The real David was a jerk with a heart of gold. In the film, he's just a jerk!

Exactly Jboy. He was also very loved and respected. I was at his funeral and man! You should have saw such outpouring from that large, tough Detroit crowd.

They never mentioned Eddie's or Paul's individual business ventures after Tempts. Kendrick's Record store and Paul's restaurant and beauty salon businesses.

Like i've always said,altough i like the tv film a theatrical version should've been done with spike lee directing.

The scene where blue gets shot, he's talking to a hip looking chick who has no idea that he's one of the temps,and maybe i'm wrong on this but wasn't blue driving a rolls that was stolen?

Like i've always said,altough i like the tv film a theatrical version should've been done with spike lee directing.
    Now that makes sense ,but like everything Motown, some and I said some of the people that have control are too damned short sighted. They don't realize that all of those artists are cultural icons to Americans at least and a big budget film would sell!
    Last edited by marv2; 11-05-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I meant to say they don't realize

The scene where blue gets shot, he's talking to a hip looking chick who has no idea that he's one of the temps,and maybe i'm wrong on this but wasn't blue driving a rolls that was stolen?
    I can't remember what kind of car he was driving ,but Jet Magazine did a detailed story on the shooting and follow ups. We look for them on Google.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-05-2015 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I can't remember

So many misses,like the fact that eddie called otis about them getting together,the fact that eddie didn't want blue in the group and wasn't quiet about it,the fact that nobody spoke to keep david in the group when it came time for the vote to fire him,the fact the[don't look back]was paul's last lead on a single[totally ignored in the film],the fact the al's hitting paul with the bottle wasn't what got him fired,the fact that eddie didn't like the musical change of direction norman laid out for them....and talk about bad scenes,when they had the party at otis house and no fans were outside.

So many misses,like the fact that eddie called otis about them getting together,the fact that eddie didn't want blue in the group and wasn't quiet about it,the fact that nobody spoke to keep david in the group when it came time for the vote to fire him,the fact the[don't look back]was paul's last lead on a single[totally ignored in the film],the fact the al's hitting paul with the bottle wasn't what got him fired,the fact that eddie didn't like the musical change of direction norman laid out for them....and talk about bad scenes,when they had the party at otis house and no fans were outside.
    Everything you said is right on point. Especially about no fans being outside of Otis' house. In Detroit they were mega-stars and always had kids, groupies following them around. The biggest part from Otis book that was not in the movie and was a complete lie according to Eddie Kendricks was when Otis claimed the the ghost of Paul Williams visited him one night. He said he told Eddie about it and Eddie that Paul came to him too! According to Eddie Kendricks that never happened! LOL!

supremester Guest
    All these factoids are impressive, however, don't get carried away - Paul & Eddie WERE the only Primes at some sock hops with The Primettes, for example.

These movies are not meant to be exact - they are BASED on books or historical figures that tell the general gist of the story - not what kind of sox David wore while recording My Girl. So Ollie is not in the movie - so what? No one cares. He belongs in the books - not a movie like this - it's an entertainment piece "about" the Tempts - not a reference guide. Even the books have inaccuracies like Otis' dream, Mary's books include total falsehoods and all books have a lot of spin. I think it was a pretty good film.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    All these factoids are impressive, however, don't get carried away - Paul & Eddie WERE the only Primes at some sock hops with The Primettes, for example.

These movies are not meant to be exact - they are BASED on books or historical figures that tell the general gist of the story - not what kind of sox David wore while recording My Girl. So Ollie is not in the movie - so what? No one cares. He belongs in the books - not a movie like this - it's an entertainment piece "about" the Tempts - not a reference guide. Even the books have inaccuracies like Otis' dream, Mary's books include total falsehoods and all books have a lot of spin. I think it was a pretty good film.

So what? They did a piss pour job with the facts. That is why you have kids that ask me shit like, "So who replace Effie in the Supremes"! This is our history whether you like it or not. It is important that Kel Osborne be represented in such a film if even only to his family and friends!

Suzanne DePasse sucks when it comes to making movies that are Motown related.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-05-2015 at 08:23 PM.

There you go again disparaging Mary Wilson's book again as it is coming up on its 30th Anniversary. Her book was epic! Everyone read it and no one has sued yet! Why? Because it was completely true, everything that she said. Now if you listened to Sandra Bernhard's interview with Mary this week on Sirius Radio, you would have her Mary's opinion on her book once again. She even stated that she hopes Diane can forgive her for telling ................THE TRUTH! Now since Mary claims for the umpteenth time it is all true and Diane has not disputed one word of it in nearly 30 years. Why should anybody on Earth listen to you call THEIR story false? You were nowhere around Detroit or anywhere they were living their lives during those days. You make yourself look ridiculous trying to dispute someone else' lives that you don't even TRULY know!

Otis wrote his book based on how he saw things. The difference I noticed in Otis' book vs say Mary Wilson's , Martha Reeves and even Raynoma Singleton's book is that he never said much about anything he himself he did wrong. He comes out looking like the Knight in shining armour. The salt of the Earth. The stable and mature one all the way back to his high school days. Yeah right! Others said things about themselves that were not very flattering in an effort to be truthful about their lives. Well I am reading Richard Streets autobiography, "Ball of Confusion, My Life As A Temptin' Temptation". In it, Otis Williams does not come off looking too swell.
    Last edited by marv2; 11-05-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Oh and another thing. "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" was the most successful music related autobiography of all time! It sold in the millions in hardback and paperback versions around the World. Today, it can be found in just about every school, college and public library.

Oh and another thing. "Dreamgirl, My Life As A Supreme" was the most successful music related autobiography of all time! It sold in the millions in hardback and paperback versions around the World. Today, it can be found in just about every school, college and public library.
    It was such a big hit because the name Diana Ross was mentioned all through the book! Mary's second book Supreme Faith sure wasn't a big seller. That's because it didn't focus on Diana.

There you go again disparaging Mary Wilson's book again as it is coming up on its 30th Anniversary. Her book was epic! Everyone read it and no one has sued yet! Why? Because it was completely true, everything that she said. Now if you listened to Sandra Bernhard's interview with Mary this week on Sirius Radio, you would have her Mary's opinion on her book once again. She even stated that she hopes Diane can forgive her for telling ................THE TRUTH! Now since Mary claims for the umpteenth time it is all true and Diane has not disputed one word of it in nearly 30 years. Why should anybody on Earth listen to you call THEIR story false? You were nowhere around Detroit or anywhere they were living their lives during those days. You make yourself look ridiculous trying to dispute someone else' lives that you don't even TRULY know!

Otis wrote his book based on how he saw things. The difference I noticed in Otis' book vs say Mary Wilson's , Martha Reeves and even Raynoma Singleton's book is that he never said much about anything he himself he did wrong. He comes out looking like the Knight in shining armour. The salt of the Earth. The stable and mature one all the way back to his high school days. Yeah right! Others said things about themselves that were not very flattering in an effort to be truthful about their lives. Well I am reading Richard Streets autobiography, "Ball of Confusion, My Life As A Temptin' Temptation". In it, Otis Williams does not come off looking too swell.
    Just because nobody sues does not mean it was all true. Some people don't sue because it gets more publicity. Why isn't anybody suing Suzanne DePasse if there are so many lies in her movies on Motown artists! Does that mean everything in the movies are true because nobody has sued!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Just because nobody sues does not mean it was all true. Some people don't sue because it gets more publicity. Why isn't anybody suing Suzanne DePasse if there are so many lies in her movies on Motown artists! Does that mean everything in the movies are true because nobody has sued!
    It was all true! Mary Wilson really told it! Get over it. No one is suing Suzanne DePasse or has sued her to my knowledge [[and that is very important to keep in mind.....) because most of the principles in the story are now deceased! Do you understand that fact?

I want Mary to write a follow book and include all the things she left out of the first two books.

Hey Vgalindo , Someone did sue Suzanne DePasse re: The Temptations movie. I said earlier that it is usually big Diana Ross fans that heap praise on Ms. DePasse . You are a die hard fan of Diane's. Check it out:

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-6th-circuit/1408617.html
    Last edited by marv2; 11-05-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    It was such a big hit because the name Diana Ross was mentioned all through the book! Mary's second book Supreme Faith sure wasn't a big seller. That's because it didn't focus on Diana.
    Well there must have been a lot of people that wanted to have it verified just what kind of person Miss Ross really is and they got it! LOL!

Wasn't Otis' "Temptations" book a best-seller?

Yeah see and some folks are always giving Suzanne DePasse such high praise [[mostly misguided Diana Ross fans do that). She always struck me as not having the proper respect for the Motown artists and legacy. She's worked for the company for years and she didn't realize any of this? She just doesn't care....
    She really didn't. In fact, she was the one who, if she really had her way, Marvin [[who jumped on being part of Motown 25 as soon as he was given the offer), Mary Wells and Martha Reeves wouldn't have been on the show but Berry wanted everyone there, least the ones he wanted.

I can't imagine Suzanne doing a MG movie. She would've found a way to flub it up!

The real life David definitely was more complex than the cartoon character David in the film...

Everything you said is right on point. Especially about no fans being outside of Otis' house. In Detroit they were mega-stars and always had kids, groupies following them around. The biggest part from Otis book that was not in the movie and was a complete lie according to Eddie Kendricks was when Otis claimed the the ghost of Paul Williams visited him one night. He said he told Eddie about it and Eddie that Paul came to him too! According to Eddie Kendricks that never happened! LOL!
    Otis has quite a vivid imagination, doesn't he?! Paul's ghost? Really!? LOL

Wasn't Otis' "Temptations" book a best-seller?
    I don't think it was. I bought it the week it was released and after what happened with Mary's first book, I followed how the books I bought sold. I would remember if Otis' book was a best -seller.

Otis has quite a vivid imagination, doesn't he?! Paul's ghost? Really!? LOL
    Yes he does. There was a video on Youtube a few years back when Eddie Kendricks gave his opinion of the book and when pointed out the ghost story as an example of things that were not true in the book.....then he rolled his eyes. LOL!

Here's another huge factual error. They filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and not Detroit! The style of houses are totally different in each city./ Pittsburgh is hilly, while Detroit is mostly flat. Pittsburgh does not look at all like the Detroit of the 50s and 60s.
    See:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-ra...s/201412300033