[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye 2nd Vinyl Box set

The latest second volume of the Complete Marvin Gaye vinyl box set popped through my door today with I'm sure like the first set a CD version to follow later
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Was Marvin Gaye's Greatest Hits, the one that first Can I Get A Witness, ever included in any of those volumes?

Usually, I would not ask for compilations be included in album packages, but Can I Get A Witness' original album form was there, the way Beauty is Only Skin Deep was in the Temptations' Greatest Hits, My Baby Loves Me was in Martha & the Vandellas' Greatest Hits, and The Happening was in the Supremes' Greatest Hits. Does not really feel "Complete Marvin Gaye" really without some source of that awesome number.

You must have a very wide letter box Paul.

How true to the original albums are these vinyl releases?

Are the CDs as good as the Japanese mini albums?

Just ordered, and awaiting, the CD set for volume 1. I wasn't going to get this because I have the mini-LPs which I love, but I saw the set for £18.70 new and I just couldn't resist ordering. There can be no logic to this whatsoever but I gave up trying to understand myself a long time ago.

Neither volume 1 nor volume 2 includes the Greatest Hits set but there is a very nice Japanese mini LP which included Marvin's Greatest Hits 1 & 2 you could look for.

Shame it's the same old artists though [[the Marvins, Dianas, Stevies etc). What about releasing some of the real rare albums on mini-LP. I mean we get umpteen releases of the same Marvin Gaye albums but have to settle [[or not in my case) for digital releases for completion of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles or Four Tops albums for example. Of course, that's what the market wants.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    You must have a very wide letter box Paul.

How true to the original albums are these vinyl releases?

Are the CDs as good as the Japanese mini albums?

Just ordered, and awaiting, the CD set for volume 1. I wasn't going to get this because I have the mini-LPs which I love, but I saw the set for £18.70 new and I just couldn't resist ordering. There can be no logic to this whatsoever but I gave up trying to understand myself a long time ago.

Neither volume 1 nor volume 2 includes the Greatest Hits set but there is a very nice Japanese mini LP which included Marvin's Greatest Hits 1 & 2 you could look for.

Shame it's the same old artists though [[the Marvins, Dianas, Stevies etc). What about releasing some of the real rare albums on mini-LP. I mean we get umpteen releases of the same Marvin Gaye albums but have to settle [[or not in my case) for digital releases for completion of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles or Four Tops albums for example. Of course, that's what the market wants.
    Japan Marvin's Greatest Hits 1-2 - Thanks, but Amazon-ed it - wayyyy more [[out of print price) than I would be willing to pay, for a non-at-least-six-disc set. I'll just still settle for my "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You" Japan reissue, that included it, along with a couple other originally unreleased on album B-sides.

As for the other thing, like I said a few other times before in the past, I am simply fortunate, in this reissue age, when companies, like Universal Japan, Hip-O Select, Big Break Records, Ace Records, Funkytown Grooves, Tamla-Motown, others, brings out a vast diversity of Classic Motown reissues, much, much more, than just batch of years back, back when there was still many physical stores that sold CDs, all that was seen was either 60s Temptations, 70s Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross' "Diana", Rick James' "Street Songs", and the Lionel Richie albums. Motown, despite foundational heritage from the sixties golden age period, chosen to Deluxe Edition-ize only their acclaimed albums of the seventies and eighties. Think about it this way; with the huge volume that is already available now, it's still very well possibly only a matter of time, perhaps even sometime next year.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 11-04-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Does this package include any newly, previously unreleased material?

Nope. These are just straight reissues.

Ivor

I'm glad they're re-issuing his first decade of music. Usually they skip over the '60s era pretty much unless you mention the Tammi years or "Grapevine".