[REMOVE ADS]

Not Released But Sure Should Have Been: The Velvelettes/A LOVE SO DEEP INSIDE [1966]

Written by James Dean, William 'Mickey' Stevenson, & William Weatherspoon

http://youtu.be/ibol-p4zRC4

Another great recording that ended up trapped in the vaults. Completed in 1966; available in 2004 via THE VELVELETTES - THE MOTOWN ANTHOLOGY.

Many thanks to docludi for the beautiful, energetic, fun video on YouTube.

A great track and many have commented to the ladies that they would like to hear them sing this song. Another requested song is He's The One

But there is only so much time at a concert....and I've only just managed to hear them sing a live version of Your Heart Belongs To Me.

Tbfxt - Thanks for posting HE'S THE ONE. A great addition to the thread.

By any chance, do you know how The Velvelettes felt about A LOVE SO DEEP INSIDE getting locked up in the vaults? To my ear, the recording is simply first-rate: the tune, the production, and those voices--just stellar. Clearly says smash to me--and yet it never got the chance it deserved.

Ah well now, M2, you're asking just the right person there.

As soon as theboyfromxtown reads your message, he could well be in touch with Cal - and all the way from France.

That will give her an excellent excuse to respond to him in French.

[[I wonder what is the correct French for "I can't even remember recording 'A Love So Deep Inside!"..)

I've asked her already. She doesn't remember.

It's .....the producers would call her late at night and tell her that they've got some studio time so get over quick. The song would have to be learnt quickly and the vocal recorded.....Cal would often be back home [[she was staying with her aunt and uncle in Detroit at that time) before breakfast.

I was gutted when she said the same about Save My [[My Ship Of Love Is Sinking)...I love that song.

Glad you love the songs...I just wish they got a little more exposure.

Save Me [[My Ship Of Love Is Sinking).....I love that one, too.

It brings out the 'moaning' quality in Cal's voice, and has an 'uneven' drum rhythm, which draws me in. Very hypnotic. Less 'pop' than the standard Motown tracks, so I can hear why it probably wouldn't have been considered for a single release.

And there are two versions, aren't there....and one of them I prefer, but before I check, I can't remember which. It's the one where the background harmonies are to the fore. That sells it for me.......

Update : Done it. It's the alternate version, on the Anthology. It's the "Save Meeeee! Save Meeeee!!" harmonies which seal it for me. Not sure if The Andantes are on there, but it sounds like only them on version 1 [[with the organ sound more prominent).

Norma, Milly and Bertha were not there by the time of any of these recordings.

I remember at Hemsby, Milly saying to me........can you believe that someone suggested we sing Save Me [[My Ship Of Love Is Sinking...we'd never learn that one!

I was gutted!!

OK, then let's just say The Andantes sound great on that one....before their sound evolved into just 'oooooooo' on later 60s recordings.

Another example of The Velvelettes not being completely focused on their career - not then, and not now....although that is not a bad thing in itself, as other things are indeed more important, especially with the passing years....... even if it does mean being left with the thought "Your voice and records have been familiar to me for decades. Could you not show just a teensiest more interest than that...." LOLOL

Hahaha. I've just had a bizarre thought.

If some of us here on SDF were to get together in a room with The Velvelettes, and play the Anthology loud, if they're unsure how the tracks go, we would be able to give them a good show, just by lipsyncing back to them. Alternating leads as Cal, of course.....

The Velvelettes could be The Andantes for that particular performance......LOL

Anyway, I'm not in the least starstruck.

It's time for breakfast, so I must be away to create my 'Omelette Velvelette'......

Well how do you think they learnt Let Love Live.....I had to sing just the backgrounds.....that was fun.

Always good to be around creative, artistic people.

That's why I come here.

I think.......

But I'm not the creative person...I just copied what was on the cd...or tried to.

That's what some of those ladies at Motown might have said, when they heard The Andantes on their finished recordings.......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    . . . we would be able to give them a good show, just by lipsyncing back to them. . .
    WGB - I bet they could cope with the lipsynching. It's the steps and routine we'd also throw in that would probably do them in! [[thinking "Where on Earth did they get that from?!") Enjoyed the conversation between you and Tbfxt very much. [['Omelette Velvelette'--yes indeedy!)

Methuselah2

We talk so much I think we get forget that we are posting on the board and not private messaging.

Well, maybe. I'm just sitting here quietly, but imagining I'm relaying this through a megaphone.

Tell the WORLD, I say!