[REMOVE ADS]

Brook Benton - Rainy Night In Georgia - Live 1971

If you are of a "certain age" when you see and hear this, just thank God that some of the greatest music of all time was created in our lifetime!

Another nice one marv,from one of the best to ever do it,the man himself.

Wonderful performance!! And I love that song so much.... for some reason, I can't bring myself to listen to it in the daytime. Kinda strange, I know. That clip is from the Barbara McNair show, BTW.

Very nice performance. I liked the song, but I loved his work from a decade earlier. In the late fifties, he had about fifteen hits on the charts, the first being IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME. I bought them all on 45 rpm. I haven't listened to Brook in a long time, but this thread inspired me to make a Playlist with his hits, including his two duets with Dinah Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Wonderful performance!! And I love that song so much.... for some reason, I can't bring myself to listen to it in the daytime. Kinda strange, I know. That clip is from the Barbara McNair show, BTW.
    Not strange at all. I cannot listen to Luther Vandross's "Dance With My Father" period!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Very nice performance. I liked the song, but I loved his work from a decade earlier. In the late fifties, he had about fifteen hits on the charts, the first being IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME. I bought them all on 45 rpm. I haven't listened to Brook in a long time, but this thread inspired me to make a Playlist with his hits, including his two duets with Dinah Washington.

That was one of the great songs and performances. Did you get to check out Ed Townsend on the Ed Sullivan Show in the thread containing "For Your Love"? Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was one of the great songs and performances. Did you get to check out Ed Townsend on the Ed Sullivan Show in the thread containing "For Your Love"? Classic!
    Yes I did and I enjoyed it. I may have seen it when it was first broadcast but I didn't even know he was on Sullivan till I saw your post

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Yes I did and I enjoyed it. I may have seen it when it was first broadcast but I didn't even know he was on Sullivan till I saw your post
    What made these guys and most of the singers of their generation special is not only did they have raw, true talent ,but they sang for the love it! They wanted people to enjoy what they brought to the table. It was not all about money then as it appears to be today!

Let's not forget that mr.benton could write too...looking back[nat king cole].

Brook Benton's 'Rainy Night In Georgia' is one of those hauntingly produced, 'intimate, direct to your soul' recordings.

The killer line is "I hold your picture to my chest, and I feel fine', with the choking break in his voice on the words 'and I feel fine'.

It takes a great performer to convey deep feelings in just those few words......

GREAT

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    brook benton's 'rainy night in georgia' is one of those hauntingly produced, 'intimate, direct to your soul' recordings.

The killer line is "i hold your picture to my chest, and i feel fine', with the choking break in his voice on the words 'and i feel fine'.

It takes a great performer to convey deep feelings in just those few words......
    yeah west that choking feeling,kinda like lunch at greasy grady's.