[REMOVE ADS]

What's the Full List of Former Motowners who left at the 1971-73 transition?

Yes, around 1972, goes the Four Tops, who'll be back bigger for a time at Dunhill. The Spinners, who'll definitely score exponentially times larger at Atlantic. The following year, Gladys Knight & the Pips, migrated to where they believed "The Grass is Greener", which was fruitful, at Buddah.

Who else, in then coming news to travels to Los Angeles, said "no" and chose to remain behind in Detroit? Martha Reeves, also quietly splitted the Vandellas, and the company. The Marvelettes, only an illusion, by "The Return of the Marvelettes", Wanda Young the only clear member left, went and assumably passed all but unnoticed.

Say, who else? Bobby Taylor? Fantastic Four? Which Funk Brothers stuck around a little longer, and for which notable numbers? And, knowing that Norman Whitfield's productions of the Temptations lasted through 1973, did every one of Norman Whitfield's associations were only based on Detroit?

Bobby Taylor cut his own version of the Tops' "I Can't Quit Your Love" for Philadelphia International, and it turned up on the UK "Phillybusters" LP.

The Fantastic Four went to Westbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Yes, around 1972, goes the Four Tops, who'll be back bigger for a time at Dunhill. The Spinners, who'll definitely score exponentially times larger at Atlantic. The following year, Gladys Knight & the Pips, migrated to where they believed "The Grass is Greener", which was fruitful, at Buddah.

Who else, in then coming news to travels to Los Angeles, said "no" and chose to remain behind in Detroit? Martha Reeves, also quietly splitted the Vandellas, and the company. The Marvelettes, only an illusion, by "The Return of the Marvelettes", Wanda Young the only clear member left, went and assumably passed all but unnoticed.

Say, who else? Bobby Taylor? Fantastic Four? Which Funk Brothers stuck around a little longer, and for which notable numbers? And, knowing that Norman Whitfield's productions of the Temptations lasted through 1973, did every one of Norman Whitfield's associations were only based on Detroit?
    I believe all the Funk Brothers stayed in Detroit, apart from Jamerson, who moved to the West Coast.
    Long-serving Hank Cosby also left around this point, while William Weathersoon had defected to join HDH at Invictus/Hot Wax.

I think Eddie "Bongo" Brown went to LA too.

CHUCK JACKSON must have left in 1971/2 ... he was certainly at ABC/Dunhill by 1973. And one of the earliest Motowners, JIMMY RUFFIN, in 1972/3.

The FOUR TOPS, of course, briefly went back to Motown in the early 1980s.

Roger

Go take a look at the artists that recorded for Ian Levine's Motor City/Nightmare Records labels and you will have a clearer picture of the large amount of artists that were left in Detroit by Motown when they moved out West.
    Last edited by marv2; 10-23-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    And one of the earliest Motowners, JIMMY RUFFIN, in 1972/3.
    Roger
    Jimmy hung that long? Sorry, don't mean to say it that way, but once read, that after his well of hits ran dry by his one sole single of 1969, he's taken Edwin Starr's advice of migrating to Britain, where he's either practically God or next to God there.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 10-23-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Here is a good article address this subject:

http://soulbot.com/motorcity-records-2.htm

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  21.1 KB
    Marv Johnson left in 1973. He didn't move to L.A.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-23-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Marv Johnson left in 1973. He didn't move to L.A.
    Right. He was one of the over 100 former Motown Artists that remained in Detroit and surrounding areas.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here is a good article address this subject:

http://soulbot.com/motorcity-records-2.htm
    My apologies Marv, but I'm not asking who's been gone as of 1971 - 1973 - just asking who's left, right at the 1971-1973 transition.

The Marvelettes, for the most part, broke up by 1969-ish.

The Contours, 1968-ish.

The Monitors, 1968-ish.

Brenda Holloway and Kim Weston's departure, 1968 or so.

And, I'd assume, The Velvelettes and Elgins too, mid-60s, as I don't recall much after "Needle In A Haystack" and "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'" nor after "Darling Baby" and "Heaven Must Have Sent You".

Just asking, for those who stayed with Detroit Motown that long enough, by 1971-73, that when given the news of complete uproot to Los Angeles , whether they felt underappreciated [[Spinners, Gladys Knight & the Pips) or just wanted to stay in Detroit, said "No", or the company laid them off, due to updating styles [[Funk Bros) or sales.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 10-23-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    My apologies Marv, but I'm not asking who's been gone as of 1971 - 1973 - just asking who's left, right at the 1971-1973 transition.

The Marvelettes, for the most part, broke up by 1969-ish.

The Contours, 1968-ish.

The Monitors, 1968-ish.

Brenda Holloway and Kim Weston's departure, 1968 or so.

And, I'd assume, The Velvelettes and Elgins too, mid-60s, as I don't recall much after "Needle In A Haystack" and "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'" nor after "Darling Baby" and "Heaven Must Have Sent You".

Just asking, for those who stayed with Detroit Motown that long enough, by 1971-73, that when given the news of complete uproot to Los Angeles , whether they felt underappreciated [[Spinners, Gladys Knight & the Pips) or just wanted to stay in Detroit, said "No", or the company laid them off, due to updating styles [[Funk Bros) or sales.
    Then I guess it's finished and you got them all that left during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Then I guess it's finished and you got them all that left during that period.
    Ohh wait....Johnny Bristol too....otherwise, there'd be no "Hang On In There Baby"!

Views: 342
    Harvey Fuqua probably left in '71 or '72. I remember him working with The Originals and still with The VIP Spinners after The Monitors broke up. He started with RCA in 1972 or 1973.

it might be easier to list those who left for LA and go from there:

The Supremes [[ minus Flo)
    The Temptations [[minue Paul, Eddie, and David)
    Jackson 5
    Rare Earth
    The originals
    stevie wonder
    Marvin gaye
    smokey and claudette robinson [[and Marv Tarplin)
    chris clark

those are the one that come to mind. im sure theres more

Weren't some acts "left" behind? The Andantes come to mind, but I could be incorrect in remembering.

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    Weren't some acts "left" behind? The Andantes come to mind, but I could be incorrect in remembering.
Views: 285
    Yes,-many artists and groups were not "invited" to come to L.A. in 1972. Those still under contract were not re-signed, and their contracts lapsed later in 1972, or in 1973 or in 1974. They sat in Detroit doing nothing. Or, perhaps a few made a couple never-used recordings in Detroit.

Did Junior Walker come to L.A, at all?

I also remember that James Jamerson WASN'T the only Funk Brother to move to L.A. Weren't there one or two more?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 285
    Yes,-many artists and groups were not "invited" to come to L.A. in 1972.
    If I recall, all were invited to move to L.A.. It's just that it wasn't a formal invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    If I recall, all were invited to move to L.A.. It's just that it wasn't a formal invitation.
Views: 247
    Marv Johnson wasn't, and he was angry about that. He wasn't even told [[directly) that they were moving. It was then that he found out that his last contract ran out at the beginning of 1970, and was never renewed. Yet he had continued recording for them all the way into 1973, and he continued to write songs for Jobete Music, and, I assume, that he was still doing menial day work for Motown, as well, and being paid for that. But he had no releases in USA, and was sent on no USA tours. He DID tour in The UK during 1970-73, I believe. I would bet that several others were not invited [[e.g. were told there would be no work for them from the company in L.A.)