[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    P/M Gary

I think you and I must have had a mirror situation going on!

I was just as fascinated by the recordings of American acts which were being released here in the UK on labels like Oriole, London, Stateside, Pye InternationaI - eagerly anticipated after reading the names on the US charts, published in music papers over here. I was often pre-sold on them simply by reading the group or artist names. Names like Miracles, Temptations, Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas all seemed so glamorous LOL

To my ears, the cover versions or new recordings made in similar style here in the UK were always second-best, and the artists didn't possess the same degree of stage presence and glamour. Just as one example, Kiki Dee is a fine singer, but her version of 'How Glad I Am' just didn't compare to that of Nancy Wilson. White voice, trying to sound black....so it's interesting that you didn't feel the same.

Some of the cover versions made here were good, but never better. To me, the originals, from the US were always and still the greatest. Ours didn't have that Hitsville sound, which always did it for me [[and still does), and sounded more like Motown recordings where the band track was recorded on the West Coast, which generally didn't do it for me [[and still don't).

Don't get me started on our own girl groups....:[[

Billy Ocean opened for the MS&S Supremes on their final performance at the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane, London, 1977. He blasted 'Love Really Hurts Without You' to the rafters, and was cheered likewise. A very engaging personality. Billy is still working, and was interviewed recently on TV. He now sports a white beard and 'dreads'. With his amused, twinkling eyes, he has the air of a mystic about him!

You mention Madeline Bell, and say 'one of your UK artists'. You did know that Madeline is American by birth? Came over in the early 60s. From Newark, New Jersey. That made her authentic! Madeline is still working, and also on TV recently being interviewed. Lives in Spain, and lost her husband a few years ago.
    Many years later this Maggie Bell fan had NO idea that she was born about 5 miles east of me in Newark!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    BTW, the only item of interest that stood out as being different was that Polly's follow-up single to "Smoke" -- "You're My #1 One" -- is an extended mix, noticeable right from the song's intro which I love. If you love Polly Browne, I can whole-heartedly recommend it.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

The Amazon commenter claimed that the Special Delivery CD uses the UK mix of "Up In a Puff of Smoke." Was that the mix you knew back in the day?

I'm surprised Carpenters didn't jump on "I Need Another Song." As a song, it seems right up their alley.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Many years later this Maggie Bell fan had NO idea that she was born about 5 miles east of me in Newark!

Did you mean to write Maddie?

Not good. Just ... not good.