[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Well said Westgradboulevard,You're welcome Ralph,again keep on doing what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I notice on some Facebook page that a member who is leaving the forum claims I must have mental issues. It makes me wonder how well he would do running this show. It is so easy to criticize.
    Well, it ain't me because I don't go on Facebook. It's probably one of these antagonizers we keep reporting to you about.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

We have a choice of selecting threads which interest us,
    That's what I do everyday and that's why I'm not that much interested in the Motown threads. Evan Ross...mmmm... what's next ? Miss D.'s cats and dogs ? LOL.

Sorry if this may sound offensive to some of you but I can't understand idolatry. I'm here for music, be it from Detroit or elsewhere .

Yeah I don't get idolatry either lol

There was a period I idolized folks haha

Just bad. I avoid those threads too, they add nothing to the thread either.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Well, it ain't me because I don't go on Facebook. It's probably one of these antagonizers we keep reporting to you about.
    Certainly unfortunate language. I didn't know this forum had a FB component.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah I don't get idolatry either lol

There was a period I idolized folks haha

Just bad. I avoid those threads too, they add nothing to the thread either.
    I hate it when the idol worshippers come into threads that are totally unrelated to DR, Mary Wilson, The Supremes, or anyone else related, and turn them into discussions about them. That's the main reason I get angry.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Certainly unfortunate language. I didn't know this forum had a FB component.
    It doesn't. But, according to another poster, or Ralph himself, Ralph is there. So are most of the industry cats. They don't have to deal with the garbage you see on message boards like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    That's what I do everyday and that's why I'm not that much interested in the Motown threads. Evan Ross...mmmm... what's next ? Miss D.'s cats and dogs ? LOL.

Sorry if this may sound offensive to some of you but I can't understand idolatry. I'm here for music, be it from Detroit or elsewhere .
    Yes indeed Phil. If i want idle gossip about personal issues there are plenty of sources to satisfy the most curious of souls. Here is should be all about the music.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Guys from the post Ralph has made, once again empowering ****** it is clear to me that Ralph shares Marvin's opinions of Diana Ross, which is sad to me, because like her or not she is the face of Motown.

This will no longer be a Motown appreciation forum. Now Marvin will run with this ball and make it purely a Diana Ross bashing site, or a bashing of anyone who doesn't feel the way he does about Mary.

Have fun Ralph and Marvin.
    This is beyond out of line. It is infuriating to see so many people whine and bad-mouth each other when they could instead just leave. If you really have that big of a problem with Ralph or any of the members, why are you here? I've had it out with a few members here, but that was that. We resolved whatever disagreement there was between us and moved on with our lives. I didn't go badmouthing them and tattle to Ralph. There are some members with whom I prefer not to discuss certain topics because our ideas and personalities don't mesh. Avoid the problem. Don't go chasing it.

Bayou,
    You don't have a clue who I favor. Read anticeleb's post. It makes so much sense. However, if you really care to know my favorite Motown female, it would be Gladys Knight. That girl knows how to sing. But I would never minimize Diana's contribution to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Guys from the post Ralph has made, once again empowering ****** it is clear to me that Ralph shares Marvin's opinions of Diana Ross, which is sad to me, because like her or not she is the face of Motown.

This will no longer be a Motown appreciation forum. Now Marvin will run with this ball and make it purely a Diana Ross bashing site, or a bashing of anyone who doesn't feel the way he does about Mary.

Have fun Ralph and Marvin.
    Ralph doesn't share opinions with anyone. He's just tired of all the Marv bashing on this forum. If you don't like the guy, just don't address him. Don't mention him. Ignore him. That's all ya gotta do! Move on with your life!

The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Commodores, The Four Tops, Rick James, Lionel Richie, The Jackson 5, and many others are also very prominent, if not dominant faces of Motown. This is not specifically a Diana Ross appreciation forum, it's a Detroit Soul Music appreciation forum. That means we can talk about Hot Wax/Invictus, Parliament/Funkadelic, Eddie Hazel, Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, Dennis Coffey, The Dramatics, Johnnie Taylor, and even that moron Ted Nugent if you must. And, Ralph has made it clear that we can even talk about music that is not specific to Detroit or Motown. It's about music, so we can talk about audio, songwriting, engineering, and other music-related stuff. And you can even talk about you sequined gowns. You can be 100% sure that i'll never, ever participate in those kinds of threads!

All you Ross freaks can talk about Diana Ross all you want. Just be respectful, don't introduce her into threads that have nothing to do with her, and leave Marv out of it! [[BTW, when I use the word "freaks", I do not mean that in a disparaging manner.)

And, for all of you guys that have been bashing Marv, there is one member that has not yet been mentioned that should be: Roberta 75!
    Last edited by soulster; 09-27-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Ralph doesn't share opinions with anyone. He's just tired of all the Marv bashing on this forum. If you don't like the guy, just don't address him. Don't mention him. Ignore him. That's all ya gotta do! Move on with your life!

The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Commodores, The Four Tops, Rick James, Lionel Richie, The Jackson 5, and many others are also very prominent, if not dominant faces of Motown. This is not specifically a Diana Ross appreciation forum, it's a Detroit Soul Music appreciation forum. That means we can talk about Hot Wax/Invictus, Parliament/Funkadelic, Eddie Hazel, Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, Dennis Coffey, The Dramatics, Johnnie Taylor, and even that moron Ted Nugent if you must. And, Ralph has made it clear that we can even talk about music that is not specific to Detroit or Motown. It's about music, so we can talk about audio, songwriting, engineering, and other music-related stuff. And you can even talk about you sequined gowns. You can be 100% sure that i'll never, ever participate in those kinds of threads!

All you Ross freaks can talk about Diana Ross all you want. Just be respectful, don't introduce her into threads that have nothing to do with her, and leave Marv out of it! [[BTW, when I use the word "freaks", I do not mean that in a disparaging manner.)

And, for all of you guys that have been bashing Marv, there is one member that has not yet been mentioned that should be: Roberta 75!
    If you want to address me Soulster then man up stop being so passive aggressive. You can address me directly in this here forum or you can send me a private message and I will be happy to adress your issues with me. You can also contact me via private message at Facebook.

Or or you could take your own advice youve been real quick to tell everyone else to follow. "If you don't like the girl, just don't address her. Don't mention her. Ignore her. That's all ya gotta do! Move on with your life!"
    Last edited by Roberta75; 09-27-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    If you want to address me Soulster then man up stop being so passive aggressive. You can address me directly in this here forum or you can send me a private message and I will be happy to adress your issues with me. You can also contact me via private message at Facebook.
    I'll do it right here: You and I don't have any issues. We seem to agree on a lot of things, especially politics. But, honestly, from what I see, you are one of the chief Marv bashers here. If you end it, you could be a leader for others in stopping it too.

Marv isn't going anywhere any more than you or me, so, it does no good to keep bashing him. I'm no fan of Marv, but i'm not an enemy, either. I just get tired of seeing this Marv bashing at every turn. Again, it isn't really just you, but several of the Ross fans here. So what if he doesn't care for Diana Ross? A lot of people don't. A lot of people have said nasty things about her on other places on the internet. I'm sure Diana Ross isn't upset about it, so why should any of you be upset?

I get my little digs in too once in a while. I freely admit it. But, it's only because I feel like this forum is overrun with unchecked Ross idol worship. It's because of all the constant bickering I see. It's because the bickering has chased the industry people, and a lot of longtime members away from this forum. I was here back in 2002, even though my screen name and account changed several years ago. I remember how it once was before the Ross/Supremes fanatics came in here.

If I had to choose my favorite female Motown singers, it would be both Brenda Holloway and Teena Marie. And, yes, I do have quite a bit of Supremes/Ross music in my collection.

I am not the enemy. No one is.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-27-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: newly discovered typos

I'll do it right here: You and I don't have any issues. We seem to agree on a lot of things, especially politics. But, honestly, from what I see, you are one of the chief Marv bashers here. If you end it, you could be a leader for others in stopping it too.

Marv isn't going anywhere any more than you or me, so, it does no good to keep bashing him. I'm no fan of Marv, but i'm not an enemy, either. I just get tired of seeing this Marv bashing at every turn. Again, it isn't really just you, but several of the Ross fans here. So what if he doesn't care for Diana Ross? A lot of people don't. A lot of people have said nasty things about on other places on the internet. I'm sure Diana Ross isn't upset about it, so why should any of you be upset?
    If Marv stopped ruining every darned Diane Ross thread with negative comments day after day after day youd never See me adress him. Its real tired and we all get it that he doesnt like Diane. So stop entering her threads with horrible comments. I dont care for Gladys Knight but you wont find me in Gladys Knight threads trashing her. Why? Because she doesnt mean anything to me so Im not going to spend my energy on the woman. I wish Miss Knight well but Id never spend a nickel on her concerts or albums.

Ralph Sid the following in August of 2014 in this here forum

"Since I can't and won't ban any threads relating to all of the fine and talented women who are, or once were, part of the Supremes, I can play a little hard ball with anyone who creates a problem. Even the slightest. I will immediately delete the thread and PERMANENTLY ban the instigatorSo from this point on, any Supreme, Mary, Diana threads are to be interesting, informative and RESPECTFULL"

i dont see this happening and the main culprit who all but ruins every Diane Ross thread is given a free pass over and over and over again. Oh well its not my forum but it sure seems odd IMO that the rules above get bent to protect some members.

i than you for your comment to me.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

If Marv stopped ruining every darned Diane Ross thread with negative comments day after day after day youd never See me adress him. Its real tired and we all get it that he doesnt like Diane. So stop entering her threads with horrible comments. I dont care for Gladys Knight but you wont find me in Gladys Knight threads trashing her. Why? Because she doesnt mean anything to me so Im not going to spend my energy on the woman. I wish Miss Knight well but Id never spend a nickel on her concerts or albums.

Ralph Sid the following in August of 2014 in this here forum

"Since I can't and won't ban any threads relating to all of the fine and talented women who are, or once were, part of the Supremes, I can play a little hard ball with anyone who creates a problem. Even the slightest. I will immediately delete the thread and PERMANENTLY ban the instigatorSo from this point on, any Supreme, Mary, Diana threads are to be interesting, informative and RESPECTFULL"

i dont see this happening and the main culprit who all but ruins every Diane Ross thread is given a free pass over and over and over again. Oh well its not my forum but it sure seems odd IMO that the rules above get bent to protect some members.

i than you for your comment to me.

Roberta
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but if I do dare to look at those threads, I do not see Marv starting the shit. If he is, he should stop it too.

Ralph isn't banning either one of you. He's not playing favorites. He's not going to ban him on your say-so, and he's not going to ban you on his say-so. But, I see a lot of Marv bashing from the Ross fans here. Apparently, so does Ralph. If I am wrong, show me some examples.

Whenever people bash Diana Ross around here, she's not really the target. It's the Ross fans that the aim is for. That should tell you something!

I will gladly end my dig at you guys if you just use a bit of constraint with the Ross/Supremes discussions. Marv and I should not bash you guys, and you should not bash Marv or me.

The bottom line for me is that the industry people are no longer here because of all the interpersonal crap constantly going on. That's unfortunate. I like to see a nice, diverse mix of discussions about all kinds of things, especially the technical side of things!

I just don't like seeing endless Ross/Supremes threads when I log in here, or bait and switch thread titles, and I think some of the Ross fans do that to annoy everyone else. That is the kind of thing I wish Ralph would crack down on, but, as is pointed out, it's his forum.

I propose that from this point forward, we all start from scratch. Pretend this is a brand new forum and that none of us know about the other.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-27-2015 at 04:00 PM.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if I do dare to look at those threads, I do not see Marv starting the shit. If he is, he should stop it too.

Ralph isn't banning either one of you. He's not playing favorites. He's not going to ban him on your say-so, and he's not going to ban you on his say-so. But, I see a lot of Marv bashing from the Ross fans here. Apparently, so does Ralph. If I am wrong, show me some examples.

Whenever people bash Diana Ross around here, she's not really the target. It's the Ross fans that the aim is for. That should tell you something!

I will gladly end my dig at you guys if you just use a bit of constraint with the Ross/Supremes discussions. Marv and I should not bash you guys, and you should not bash Marv or me.

The bottom line for me is that the industry people are no longer here because of all the interpersonal crap constantly going on. That's unfortunate. I like to see a nice, diverse mix of discussions about all kinds of things, especially the technical side of things!

I just don't like seeing endless Ross/Supremes threads when I log in here, or bait and switch thread titles, and I think some of the Ross fans do that to annoy everyone else. That is the kind of thing I wish Ralph would crack down on, but, as is pointed out, it's his forum.

I propose that from this point forward, we all start from scratch. Pretend this is a brand new forum and that none of us know about the other.
    The "I propose..." part is wise; I only offer that since I have built my "Ignore" list the forum has again [[for me) been a pleasant place to visit.

The remaining threads that have not been deleted speaks for themself when it comes to seeing who starts the sh*t as you said but the good Lord gave me eyes and opened them for me to see all. Im not the smartest person on this here forum but I can plainly see a person with an unhealthy obsession with Diane Ross and the nasty comments they make. There can be a thousand Diane Ross or Supremes threads its our choice if we decide to click on them. I avoid about 50% of them. Dr Martha Reeves is my favorite performer ever but Diane Ross is one he Heck of a great perfumer and singer. I am fully prepared To move forward and start fresh.

I end with these here words that I try to live by. "One great power of sin is that it blinds men so that they do not recognize its true character. In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don’t.The eyes are useless when the mind is blind"

fondly,

Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta75; 09-27-2015 at 04:15 PM.

I have been watching. He has been very disruptive. And he gets away with it every time.
    And then acts innocent, as if he did nothing but "express an opinion". He hijacked the Ike Turner thread, the Susaye Greene thread and so many more its pathetic. And please note that I'm decidedly not a huge Diana Ross fan.

What would happen if I posted nasty, vile comments repeatedly about Mary Wilson on threads that had nothing to do with her? I would bet that I would get banned. But I would never do such a thing since I respect ALL Motown artists. The fact that a site supposedly devoted to keeping the spirit of Motown alive degenerates into such nastiness about ANY of its artists is sad.

Enjoy your forum. Its become the Marv2 show and not worth bothering with anymore. I do have a choice and I choose not to hang around here anymore. I'll find someplace else to get my Motown fix.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    The "I propose..." part is wise; I only offer that since I have built my "Ignore" list the forum has again [[for me) been a pleasant place to visit.
    Very wise my dear RobertZ. Im placing someone on permanent ignore as well.

have a blessed and beautiful Sunday.

Roberta

So if the truth be known, I will be watching you Supremes/Ross zealots a little more closely simply because I really do feel you guys tend to roil the waters around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    So if the truth be known, I will be watching you Supremes/Ross zealots a little more closely simply because I really do feel you guys tend to roil the waters around here.
    Based on this utterly absurd comment, I'm out. I've pm'd several contacts here so I request a 24 hour period so they can get my contact info. Then please delete my user name and password. "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". Best to [[almost) all.

Sorry you feel that way Robert.

And even this thread is heading down the pan, with posters disagreeing over things, naming names and throwing in some inflammatory remarks.

In reality, this thread, which was intended to discuss why someone feels obliged to leave, has ended up demonstrating exactly why they feel obliged to leave and has also managed to drive another member away in the process.

SDF is the only forum that I'm a member of where posters behave like this.

This is worse than the Barnes Ewing feud in Dallas. Cliff Barnes and JR Ewing just couldn't let things rest. They had an excuse, however, inasmuch as they were fictional characters and the scriptwriters forced them down that road.

This, however, is real life, and I really don't understand how adults old enough to be Motown fans first time around can behave in this way.

To quote the title of an old Gene Pitney track - "Where Did The Magic Go?"

This happens from time to time, Soto. My wish is for all those that are not happy here, simply leave.

It's as simply as that Ralph,just leave

I agree, Ralph and Redhot.

The potential for magic is most definitely still here. There's such a lot of talent available, but magic is all in the making, and in being positive.

We all feel the benefit while new threads continue to be created and supported. These reduce the impact of the overtly negative and hostile comments from the few who passively read the work of others, but who do not, and will never create anything of their own.

As long as new threads continue to be created, in numbers far in excess of the few threads that need to be deleted, and which offer an opportunity for a good-natured contribution from any member, the magic is then swiftly created.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-28-2015 at 09:00 AM.

More aggravating and disruptive to me than the Diana [[Diane) Ross bashing culprit are those who respond to him. This reminds me of when I taught middle school. There would always be this one kid who would constantly make rude comments only to get a response or as we called it "get a rise out of somebody." He was an attention seeker. There are a couple of you who always respond to keep the s#it going. Is this something you and the trouble maker have planned?

On second thought, maybe this is a planned setup for this forum to have that 'one' member whose responsibility is to get things going downhill. You know, reality shows use this formula. And then there's that one victim who always overtly reacts to the trouble starter and they go back and forth. That victim knows who she/he is...the one who claims to be so innocent and claims to be a peacemaker.

When I do post on the forum, I find it necessary to state that my views are my opinions in attempts to avoid the impending drama. I say to myself, "How can I word this comment I want to post about Diana Ross and avoid having that s#it starter lash back at me." Most of the time, I don't get negative and personal attacks for which I am appreciative.

I enjoy this forum and have learned it's best for me to ignore certain members and their responders.

Dear Members of the SoulfulDetroit Motown forum,

There has been recent controversy with loud pronouncements of various members leaving and criticisms of Ralph’s moderation. So as the one who quietly behind the scenes has kept the site online for years, upgraded the software, dealt with the crashes, paid the bills and kept the doors open so that this great body of discussion can continue, I feel a need to speak.

1. I completely and unconditionally support and back Ralph in any decisions he makes. Period. I kindly ask that you do the same. We are honored to have this forum moderated by not only by a legend of the Detroit music scene but by a genuinely kind, fair and caring human being who always keeps his eye on the larger ball - a Detroit-centric music forum unequaled on the internet for its quality, depth and, yes, civility. This forum would not be the great body of knowledge it has become without him.

2. As many of you know I moderate the DetroitYES.com forum, now in its 16th year. Moderation is a very difficult and thankless task. I have been called every name in the book by the petulant who come to our free table, eat our food, drink our wine, then forget their manners, start fights, then whine when reprimanded. Until you stand in our shoes you cannot begin to understand how much we agonize over decisions to remove posts in violation of our clearly written rules and even more over a decision to remove a member. We hate it. It is a most unpleasant waste of our time certain to be followed by abusive responses. All we want and ask is for people to discuss the topics and be kind unto one another.

3. For those of you who choose to leave or are thinking of doing so please consider this. Take a random sample of all the discussion threads. You will find those with controversy very few, less than 2% when I do such such a poll. But, as the saying goes, “100,000 planes landing safely isn’t news.” Don’t let the few loud plane wreck threads distort your perspective of the overall value you have drawn from these years of discussion. If that still doesn’t satisfy you, well then, there is another saying, “Don’t let the door hitya where the good Lawd splitya.” Sorry to see you go. [And we know you will still be peeking in.]

I can see from discussion on this matter that the vast majority of you support Ralph and understand the difficulty he faces and are grateful for his patience. I ask that you continue your support. I ask that you don’t take troll bait. Yes, turn the other cheek, if need be. We’re only here for a short time. Let’s keep our eyes on the prize and out of the gutters of discord.
    Thank you.
    Lowell

I'll echo those three last, simple words of yours.

Thank you, Lowell.

Again: it is not a requirement to like Diana Ross to be a member here. This is not a Diana Ross website! If someone expresses a dislike of Diana Ross, just ignore it and move on. Deal with it!

I've tried to start threads about different things but gave up. Not only did they usually get little or no responses, but they were always pushed out by the same old threads. There are more singers in the world, man! Can we talk about them too? Poor Stevie Wonder might drop in here and wonder why everyone forgot about him.

I come here for discussion about new releases that may be of interest to me. I like discussing a wide assortment of topics. And, I realize that most people don't know and don't care about how their music sounds, is created, or mastered, but there are a few of others who are like me on the forum that do.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Theres also anotther real good and effective solution and that is following the exact set of Ralphs rules from August of 2014 that were posted in this here forum. See below.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...s-the-new-deal

Expressing a dislike of Diana Ross is not in and of itself disrespectful. People have a right to that opinion.

I'll say this last bit before I leave this alone but I always feel whenever a Supremes thread gets made, the usual suspects who wanna start turf wars don't help make this forum be pleasant at all. Makes me think I done wound up at ATRL or Lipstick Alley or even the Maryluvs board when it connected with Faith fans.

That's why when shit got too hectic here, I was sitting here like "f the Supremes and their fans" because I never saw this attention given to the other groups. In fact, I made many posts saying "oh compared to the Marvelettes, Ronettes, Shangri-Las, Shirelles, Patti/Bluebelles, Vandellas, the Supremes can't fit their heels" or whatever it was I was saying...

But that was only a ruse since I love the Supremes too. But people keep going on and going on and going on and going on with nothing being accomplished. Ralph is doing all he can to maintain order but some here can't help themselves. I'm with soulster on this.

The way I see it, Stevie and Marvin "ain't sh*t" if they're not Supremes... never see their threads get 100 replies. The Temptations are different because people actually make efforts to reminisce and talk about the Tempts but SW and MG don't get the same treatment. What's up with that?

Lowell pretty much says that we may be imagining that the place is overrun with Supremes/Ross threads, but on most days I come here, that is what I see. I hit the "new Posts" tab. That's how I read the forum. I don't click on individual sub-forums. So, those Ross/Supremes threads are getting the most foot-traffic and activity. Everything else is shoved to the bottomless pit. Right now, those of the Ross religion are laying low until this blows over. Then in a week or so, it will be back to business.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was all contained in the bad threads, but sometimes it spills over into the others.

This forum caused me to quit playing anything by the Supremes for years. I got some of the RCA/Funkytown remasters, but I can't enjoy them because the first thing that comes to mind is all the Ross fanaticism here. It's enough to make a preacher curse!

All I am asking is that the Supremes/Ross/Wilson/Payne fans lighten up a bit. Take it down a notch or two. Discover some other musical artist to listen to and talk about. Listen to some funk! Rick James, Stevie Wonder, Commodores...something other than those women! Discover something out of your usual listening habits.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-28-2015 at 12:53 PM.

I've tried to start threads about different things but gave up. Not only did they usually get little or no responses, but they were always pushed out by the same old threads. There are more singers in the world, man! Can we talk about them too? Poor Stevie Wonder might drop in here and wonder why everyone forgot about him.
    Soulster, you nailed it. I'm very much in the same boat. After a lot enthusiasm for this site at the start I've since lost a great deal of interest such that I rarely post any longer. There simply isn't much value. When often the 5, 6 or 7 of the top 10 threads at the top of this forum are Ross and/or Supremes related there is a problem. Diana and the Supremes were very much of the Motown story. I get that. But I can't imagine it is to the degree of imbalance reflected here.

Quote Originally Posted by JL2648 View Post
    Diana and the Supremes were very much of the Motown story. I get that. But I can't imagine it is to the degree of imbalance reflected here.
    No, they didn't dominate the Motown story, and I grew up in the 60s and 70s.

This site could still be a lot of things, but those Ross/Supremes fans spoil it. Someone told me that they are all refugees from the old Yahoo Groups forum that got shut down because of all their fighting over Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, and they have made an effort to make this place the replacement forum. And, you can spot these people by their use of "Diane", "Miss Ross", and veiled attacks on Marv. The industry people who used to post here don't want that. They don't care about Evan and Ashlee.

No, they didn't dominate the Motown story, and I grew up in the 60s and 70s.

This site could still be a lot of things, but those Ross/Supremes fans spoil it. Someone told me that they are all refugees from the old Yahoo Groups forum that got shut down because of all their fighting over Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, and they have made an effort to make this place the replacement forum. And, you can spot these people by their use of "Diane", "Miss Ross", and veiled attacks on Marv. The industry people who used to post here don't want that. They don't care about Evan and Ashlee.
    You need to avoid all Ross/Supremes related threads if thats how you realluy feel and take the blinders off when it comes to marv.

You need to avoid all Ross/Supremes related threads if thats how you realluy feel and take the blinders off when it comes to marv.
    I wasn't going to say anything, but if that is the case, then maybe we should practice what we preach. If you didn't try to bait Marv maybe he wouldn't say a word. Let me point out the own your own Diana thread as an example isn't that right Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Dear Members of the SoulfulDetroit Motown forum,

There has been recent controversy with loud pronouncements of various members leaving and criticisms of Ralph’s moderation. So as the one who quietly behind the scenes has kept the site online for years, upgraded the software, dealt with the crashes, paid the bills and kept the doors open so that this great body of discussion can continue, I feel a need to speak.

1. I completely and unconditionally support and back Ralph in any decisions he makes. Period. I kindly ask that you do the same. We are honored to have this forum moderated by not only by a legend of the Detroit music scene but by a genuinely kind, fair and caring human being who always keeps his eye on the larger ball - a Detroit-centric music forum unequaled on the internet for its quality, depth and, yes, civility. This forum would not be the great body of knowledge it has become without him.

2. As many of you know I moderate the DetroitYES.com forum, now in its 16th year. Moderation is a very difficult and thankless task. I have been called every name in the book by the petulant who come to our free table, eat our food, drink our wine, then forget their manners, start fights, then whine when reprimanded. Until you stand in our shoes you cannot begin to understand how much we agonize over decisions to remove posts in violation of our clearly written rules and even more over a decision to remove a member. We hate it. It is a most unpleasant waste of our time certain to be followed by abusive responses. All we want and ask is for people to discuss the topics and be kind unto one another.

3. For those of you who choose to leave or are thinking of doing so please consider this. Take a random sample of all the discussion threads. You will find those with controversy very few, less than 2% when I do such such a poll. But, as the saying goes, “100,000 planes landing safely isn’t news.” Don’t let the few loud plane wreck threads distort your perspective of the overall value you have drawn from these years of discussion. If that still doesn’t satisfy you, well then, there is another saying, “Don’t let the door hitya where the good Lawd splitya.” Sorry to see you go. [And we know you will still be peeking in.]

I can see from discussion on this matter that the vast majority of you support Ralph and understand the difficulty he faces and are grateful for his patience. I ask that you continue your support. I ask that you don’t take troll bait. Yes, turn the other cheek, if need be. We’re only here for a short time. Let’s keep our eyes on the prize and out of the gutters of discord.
    Thank you.
    Lowell
    Dear Lowell.

The only person I unconditionally back and fully supportt is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Years ago I entered the way of the Lord by the narrow gate. Some beiieve that gate is wide and the way is easy but deceitful ways only leads to destruction, and those who turn their eyes to deceit and trickery are not fooling God but asking for his wrath on judgment day. The gate to Jesus is narrow and although entering the narrow gate is hard, it leads to everlasting life and eternal joy. Those who find it are few but those who find it are blessed. Ralph and Lowell, please open your eyes to the deception and lies of the one serpent in your midst whos tricks and games deceives you. If he is making large donations to the forum Id ask you to reject them and take these words from the scriptures to heart. Marv2 will ruin your forum if you dont open your eyes.

2 Corinthians 2:11
    Do not be outwitted by Satan for we are not ignorant of his designs.

Revelation 12:9
    And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

I send this in the name of Christ.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I wasn't going to say anything, but if that is the case, then maybe we should practice what we preach. If you didn't try to bait Marv maybe he wouldn't say a word. Let me point out the own your own Diana thread as an example isn't that right Roberta.
    I admit that error yes but if you believe hes innocent your are living on another planet dear.

The vitriol spills over into other threads. I don't wear blinders when it comes to Marv. I see where he can't resist getting into the act. I just don't care about any of it. I don't care who starts what. I don't care who said what about Diana Ross 100 years ago on some Youtube video. I don't care if not everyone loves the Supremes.

So, it would do everyone good if you all can just stop talking about Marv. Period. No hints, no innuendo. Nothing, Nada. Zip. Let it go! Ignore him like he never existed. And Marv: Don't respond to attacks. No comments about their sexual preferences, either.

Maybe a solution would be to cut post editing time down to a half an hour so offending peeps can't get a dig in, and then remove it before Ralph sees it. But, if it's already quoted, oh well...

We cannot stop anyone from reading or participating in any thread they like, or Ralph and Lowell won't.

I want Ross fans to quit introducing discussion about The Supremes or Diana Ross in threads that have nothing to do with them, and for Ross fans to not mislead or trick people into opening threads that are titled about one thing, but are really about Diana Ross or the Supremes. You can preview the first line of an opening post, but they can make it so that doing so still gives you no clue as to what it's really about until you click on it. That's bait and switch, and probably what Lowell sees when he takes an audit of the threads. When I see that, I know it's a Ross fan playing games.

We should be lucky that Ralph is such a forgiving teddy bear who looks for the redeeming qualities in people, because I know forums that don't give anyone a second chance to troll. One foul move and you are gone. And no having two accounts, either.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-28-2015 at 03:49 PM.

I admit that error yes but if you believe hes innocent your are living on another planet dear.
    Thanks for the voice of reason, Lowell. And continuing thanks to Ralph for his work as moderator.
    First off, I'm going nowhere. Second off, I've seen these troublesome threads, haven't joined in [[have I turned the other cheek?), and dismissed the spats within as childish and not worthy of bothering about.
    That's all you have to do... and enjoy the rest.

I didn't say he was innocent. But. I can ignore and move on. On a side note, I just posted a vandella thread and you being a huge Martha fan maybe you can post and give your opinion

The vitriol spills over into other threads. I don't wear blinders when it comes to Marv. I see where he can't resist getting into the act. I just don't care about any of it. I don't care who starts what. I don't care who said what about Diana Ross 100 years ago on some Youtube video. I don't care if not everyone loves the Supremes.

So, it would do everyone good if you all can just stop talking about Marv. Period. No hints, no innuendo. Nothing, Nada. Zip. Let it go! Ignore him like he never existed. And Marv: Don't respond to attacks. No comments about their sexual preferences, either.

We cannot stop anyone from reading or participating in any thread they like, or Ralph and Lowell won't.

I want Ross fans to quit introducing discussion about The Supremes or Diana Ross in threads that have nothing to do with them, and for Ross fans to not mislead or trick people into opening threads that are titled about one thing, but are really about Diana Ross or the Supremes. You can preview the first line of an opening post, but they can make it so that doing so still gives you no clue as to what it's really about until you click on it. That's bait and switch, and probably what Lowell sees when he takes an audit of the threads. When I see that, I know it's a Ross fan playing games.

We should be lucky that Ralph is such a forgiving teddy bear who looks for the redeeming qualities in people, because I know forums that don't give anyone a second chance to troll. One foul move and you are gone. And no having two accounts, either.
    You care enough to keep bringing up Ross and the Supremes. Stop bringring both up my dear. Now Im done with Marv ive said my peice to Lowell and Ralph and thats the last ive got to say about him. I get the feeling youd love to comoderate this here forum am I right? If I am you need to stoip the hinting and come out and ask to be a moderrator.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I didn't say he was innocent. But. I can ignore and move on. On a side note, I just posted a vandella thread and you being a huge Martha fan maybe you can post and give your opinion
    I just answered you in that thread.

Perhaps I have an ide to help. How about the Dr fans create their own board? I am one and have a forum. It is not very active but could change. I think it would benefit all.

Part of the problem as I see is it freedom of speech versus causing offence. Another part of the problem is that the good content goes the same way as the bad when a thread is deleted.

Perhaps there is a way, technology permitting.

Since deleting threads is a really drastic measure that can even serve to hide the problem; but since leaving those threads deemed as offensive untouched isn’t the solution either, why not have a forum dedicated to threads that would otherwise have been deleted?

It could be called anything you like but, in essence, when a thread gets to the point where under current conditions it’s time to delete it, perhaps it could be moved to this other forum instead, with a marker left in the original forum telling the reader where it went.

For audit and information purposes, one could even record the reason for moving the thread, e.g. a specific poster made a particular type of remark.

This would: -

• Prevent threads with some good content in them such as the Freda Payne thread from being completely removed
    • Highlight offensive posts, who wrote them, and why they were moved.
    • Avoid any allegations of censorship since the thread is still around.
    • Allow the original forums to fulfil their original purposes.
    • Create a set of standards which are clear to see and which, therefore, could help inform the conduct of all posters.

The only downside that I can see is the possibility of arguments over whether or not a thread should have been moved. But, then again, there’s always a downside whatever one does.

the positives here farrrrrrrrrr more
    than the negatives

I once stated that I thought James Brown did not have a good singing voice.
    Then I heard him do a ballad.

So, I came back on here,
    and I said I was wrong.

edafan

Quote Originally Posted by JL2648 View Post
    Diana and the Supremes were very much of the Motown story.
    The Temptations, Four Tops, Martha and the Vandellas, Mary Wells, Marvelettes, Smokey and the Miracles, Stevie, Marvin, the Jackson 5/MJ said "hello".

Soulster i'v enjoyed your post,a Ross fan playing games,you are on point,they play these games,because they know they are gonna get a reaction smh.