[REMOVE ADS]

thomas96 Guest

I Can't Write Left Handed

Gives me the chills.

Most men loved this song, while most women hated the song. I was never able to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    Most men loved this song, while most women hated the song. I was never able to understand.
    Why in the world would a woman hate the song? What women have you talked to?

thomas96 Guest
    Agree soulster, that makes no sense to me. Where did you get that idea and why the hell wouldn't a woman like this song while a man would?

Bill Withers and Frankie Beverly are two of my favorite soul singers. They are so unique in their delivery that I can't imagine their songs being hits with someone else singing them [[although Withers has had songs covered, mostly they were remade in other musical genres). In my opinion, they were so perfect for singing soul that crossing over wasn't going to happen for either. But I'm really really happy for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Bill Withers and Frankie Beverly are two of my favorite soul singers. They are so unique in their delivery that I can't imagine their songs being hits with someone else singing them [[although Withers has had songs covered, mostly they were remade in other musical genres). In my opinion, they were so perfect for singing soul that crossing over wasn't going to happen for either. But I'm really really happy for that.
    Huh? Bill Withers crossed over! Look at the chart stats.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Huh? Bill Withers crossed over! Look at the chart stats.
    I guess what I meant to suggest is that they didn't make what I consider to be Pop music. But you're right.

I guess what I meant to suggest is that they didn't make what I consider to be Pop music. But you're right.
    Bill Withers never claimed to be R&B or soul music. He just made music.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Bill Withers never claimed to be R&B or soul music. He just made music.
    Okay. Where did his songs chart the highest?

Okay. Where did his songs chart the highest?
    Billboard Hot 100 [[Pop chart),according to Joel Whitburn:

Ain't No Sunshine #3 1971
    Lean On Me #1 1972
    Use Me #2 1972
    Just the Two Of Us [[Grover Washington Jr. with Bill Withers) #2 1981

I am surprised that "Lovely Day" only made it to #30 in 1977.

Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly never got any higher than #87, so, Bill Withers definitely did better on the pop charts than Maze. If I check the album charts, Maze may do a bit better.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-21-2015 at 11:25 PM.

I'd be surprised if they did. Maze were never as popular as I imagined they should be. Everybody that I knew that heard them loved them, but surprisingly few people heard them [[where I lived). They used to headline an annual two-day music festival that used to be scheduled in Cincinnati. They always brought it to a high point as the closing act.

Thanks for the info on Bill Withers. I didn't know that he charted so well on the Pop charts.

I remember meeting Bill Withers in the 1980's. He was a quiet, unassuming guy who didn't seem to be too fussed with chart positions. He was in it for the music unlike todays so called stars. As regards Frankie Beverly he quite rightly thought that Maze deserved mainstream success which of course they did. I adore their late 70's and early 80's albums which contain music to treasure forever.

I'd be surprised if they did. Maze were never as popular as I imagined they should be. Everybody that I knew that heard them loved them, but surprisingly few people heard them [[where I lived). They used to headline an annual two-day music festival that used to be scheduled in Cincinnati. They always brought it to a high point as the closing act.

Thanks for the info on Bill Withers. I didn't know that he charted so well on the Pop charts.
    My opinion of why Maze never enjoyed pop success is because their sound is too R&B, jazz, or smooth for pop radio. But, Spinners are too, and pop radio liked them.

The fact is that Withers is very popular with rockers. His sound is very earthy, sparse, and his lyrics are very direct. I can't explain it. But, The O'Jays are also very popular with the rock crowd.

It could simply be the time period in which Maze rose to prominence in the R&B world. They came along when pop radio started to divorce itself from R&B in 1977. Maybe they were deemed "too black". Maybe Larkin Arnold forbade them to be marketed to pop radio, as he did with Capitol's other soul artists in the late 70s.

OMG - yes! The Kool Jazz Festival that was held EVERY year down in Cincy was indeed legendary......

Thought I was the only one who remembered that....and Frankie used to "tear it up" at the end....

I never went to the Kool Jazz Festival because Iwas too young back then. They used to have the Isley Brothers, Heatwave, Lakeside, Rufus, and many more. I believe it ran for st least a decade. I used to wonder why Maze was the headliner for several years until I bought their live album. I became an instant fan.

My nephew and his new wife told me that saw them at a music festival in Cincinnati a few months ago. His wife was not familiar with Maze and she was shocked when the entire crowd rose and sang their songs, word for word. I don't think I ever heard of a greater site of respect.

I never went to the Kool Jazz Festival because Iwas too young back then. They used to have the Isley Brothers, Heatwave, Lakeside, Rufus, and many more. I believe it ran for st least a decade. I used to wonder why Maze was the headliner for several years until I bought their live album. I became an instant f

My nephew and his new wife told me that saw them at a music festival in Cincinnati a few months ago. His wife was not familiar with Maze and she was shocked when the entire crowd rose and sang their songs, word for word. I don't think I ever heard of a greater site of respect.
    Lovely post Jerry, and it's good to know this wonderful group continue to be appreciated.
    I hope they continue to do what they do for many more years, and I hope they return to the UK soon where they are always assured of a fine welcome.

We absolutely wore out his "Live At Carnegie Hall" LP on our way to cookouts & in general. I believe that I still have the 8-track somewhere around the house. I was only 13 when that LP came out, but I loved it & it remains not just one of my favorite live LPs, but pne of my favorite LPs, period.