[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes & Four Tops In Concert

I've been ever-so slowly going through my cassette collection to transfer these rarities onto CD for posterity. Back in the 70s and 80s, we fans would attend concerts with these small cassette recorders you can hide in your coat. Over the years I've amassed dozens of these.

I found one today that is a complete show of Jean, Mary and Cindy at the Carter Barron, I'm guessing around mid 1971. They introduced Nathan Jones at this show.

For an encore, they brought out the 4 Tops. I'm assuming the Tops were on the bill with them. I don't know who opened. But they closed the show with both groups singing River Deep-Mt High and to my delight did a full rendition of Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand). Live! Unfortunately the tape runs out before the song is finished but I have most of it.

I was reminded of Cindy's comedic talent. When Mary playfully told her to "go to your room" and began the dialogue, Cindy butts in with "uh uh honey, you ain't gettin' rid of me too." [[This was of course scripted).

yes it was scripted because I remember seeing part of this as their act as well. It was very funny at the time.

I once heard a snippet of the JMC Supremes and the Temptations with Damon & Richard performing "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me". One of the few time [[if not the ONLY time) they sang it together on stage. The quality wasn't very good, so it may have been bootleg. But i hope there's a better copy out there.

That would have been one of Lynda's first dates, they performed it on the Democratic National Telethon in 1972. The two group's opened with TCB, then went into IGMYLM. They came back later and did Rhythm of Life. Jean was none too happy about these songs either

I recall the Supremes joining the Four Tops on stage in London in 1971. I wasn't there but i know some members of this forum were. It was around the time the two groups performed "you gotta have love in your heart" on Top Of The Pops. I think they only did a couple of numbers together, and i am sure that will be confirmed by someone else here.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I've been ever-so slowly going through my cassette collection to transfer these rarities onto CD for posterity. Back in the 70s and 80s, we fans would attend concerts with these small cassette recorders you can hide in your coat. Over the years I've amassed dozens of these.

I found one today that is a complete show of Jean, Mary and Cindy at the Carter Barron, I'm guessing around mid 1971. They introduced Nathan Jones at this show.

For an encore, they brought out the 4 Tops. I'm assuming the Tops were on the bill with them. I don't know who opened. But they closed the show with both groups singing River Deep-Mt High and to my delight did a full rendition of Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand). Live! Unfortunately the tape runs out before the song is finished but I have most of it.

I was reminded of Cindy's comedic talent. When Mary playfully told her to "go to your room" and began the dialogue, Cindy butts in with "uh uh honey, you ain't gettin' rid of me too." [[This was of course scripted).
    I went to that concert at the Carter Baron in DC. Not the first show I ever went to but it was my first concert, if memory serves. It was only The Supremes & The Four Tops. The Four Tops opened the show, then the Supremes, then both together. Actually, as I think about it, they may have done a number together first and then the Four Tops. I was young, very excited and don't remember much about the show itself, just that my row was dancing in our seats all night long. It was fantastic and I was on a high for a month afterwards. I later saw The Suprems with the Temptations at Shady Grove Music Fair, indeed with Linda. I was chosen as the "You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You" man. Still swoon over being sung to by Jean Terrell!

That is one of the things that must of got on Jean's nerves singing all those showtunes from the cabaret days of Diana and the Supremes when the tracks she recorded as the lead of the New Supremes were being over looked I think of ' I wish I were your mirror ' would of been a great opening song for them

That would have been one of Lynda's first dates, they performed it on the Democratic National Telethon in 1972. The two group's opened with TCB, then went into IGMYLM. They came back later and did Rhythm of Life. Jean was none too happy about these songs either
    If I recall correctly portion of the The Supremes and Temptations concert along with interview aired on abc in Los Angeles. The show was also repeated I remember catching it both times it aired.

I would LOVE to have or just hear that concert you have Rick

exactly rick!! can you post it online?

lol guys if I knew how to post it, I would. Remember, the sounds is raw and the show was apparently edited. I think Stoned Love and only Just Begun were cut out for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I went to that concert at the Carter Baron in DC. Not the first show I ever went to but it was my first concert, if memory serves. It was only The Supremes & The Four Tops. The Four Tops opened the show, then the Supremes, then both together. Actually, as I think about it, they may have done a number together first and then the Four Tops. I was young, very excited and don't remember much about the show itself, just that my row was dancing in our seats all night long. It was fantastic and I was on a high for a month afterwards. I later saw The Suprems with the Temptations at Shady Grove Music Fair, indeed with Linda. I was chosen as the "You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You" man. Still swoon over being sung to by Jean Terrell!
    Wow! What a great memory for you. I wish i could have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    That is one of the things that must of got on Jean's nerves singing all those showtunes from the cabaret days of Diana and the Supremes when the tracks she recorded as the lead of the New Supremes were being over looked I think of ' I wish I were your mirror ' would of been a great opening song for them
    Agreed. Jean must have hated living in Diana's shadow. The Supremes were never better than when Jean was a member. I love all the Supremes line ups but the JMC trio always has had a special place in this old heart of mine!

Indeed she did. She went along with the plan gamely fully realizing she was replacing a woma with a large body of work. But as she amassed hit records that were relegated to quick medleys while Diana Ross songs were given full stage treatments she got more and more upset. And that's when things went to hell with her and Motown

I loved Jean with The Supremes,but Jean was not a show business person,like Mary and Cindy were,so nothing matter,Jean wanted out of The Supremes,aways from Motown,a lot of fans want to believe,had The Supremes left Motown,Jean would have stayed with The Supremes,no way,Jean really wanted out of show business,sure they talked her into coming back a few times,and we as fans was happy,she came back,but her heart wasn't in it,so she left show business again,it's not for everybody,Jean Terrell with The Supremes Mary Wilson Cindy Birdsong and Lynda Laurence have a great body of work at Motown.i'm so happy to be a fan. p.s i was not ready for The Supremes Mary Sherrie and Susaye,they were PHENOMENAL.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 09-18-2015 at 12:02 AM.

lol guys if I knew how to post it, I would. Remember, the sounds is raw and the show was apparently edited. I think Stoned Love and only Just Begun were cut out for some reason
    Hey Rick
    Maybe you can send a copy to Midnght Johnny and he can post the concert. It's worth try

Indeed she did. She went along with the plan gamely fully realizing she was replacing a woma with a large body of work. But as she amassed hit records that were relegated to quick medleys while Diana Ross songs were given full stage treatments she got more and more upset. And that's when things went to hell with her and Motown
    I will say that I was surprised, in 1972, that they were still doing "You're Nobody".... Of course, I was happy because I was the guy but it should, really, have been out of their act by that point.

I'm sure there are copyright issues Midnight Johnny would not want to mess with, nor would I. But he can contact me on here. I love sharing my things with fans, but....

Rick - I think in an older thread you mentioned that by later in 72, once things had started to slip for the girls, they reverted back to their DRATS songbook. pulling things like Rhythm of Life, TCB, Somewhere, etc. seems like it was a bit of a kneejerk reaction. prior to mid 72, it seems as though the show was still rather unique to the JMC era. still perhaps a bit too much of a cabaret act but at least not just a rehashing of a DRATS show. but then things seemed to have changed. and not for the better in terms of repertoire

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Rick - I think in an older thread you mentioned that by later in 72, once things had started to slip for the girls, they reverted back to their DRATS songbook. pulling things like Rhythm of Life, TCB, Somewhere, etc. seems like it was a bit of a kneejerk reaction. prior to mid 72, it seems as though the show was still rather unique to the JMC era. still perhaps a bit too much of a cabaret act but at least not just a rehashing of a DRATS show. but then things seemed to have changed. and not for the better in terms of repertoire
    I know Jean could be difficult but she was put in a very bad position here. She was brought into the group to preserve and even prolong the legacy but the group were forced to abandon some of their newer material in favour of the old cabaret stuff. It's such a shame that it ended this way but at least we have great memories to look back upon.