[REMOVE ADS]

The Chantels - Original album vs. repressing

For a long time now I've sought a copy of the original pressing of the Chantels' debut album. I've been lucky enough to score a copy of the first repressing, but the original continues to elude me at every corner.

So the first pressing features a picture of all five members in pink dresses and white gloves set against a white background. The repressing is a blue painting with a jukebox and two white teenagers picking out songs. Both are worth a considerable amount of money, but the first issue is worth - not kidding - 17x more than the repressing.

Name:  tumblr_nfatmuyfOH1siyyfpo1_500.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  27.3 KB Name:  Chantels-2nd-cover.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  43.7 KB

From what I can gather, I can't seem to find a definite answer as to why the original pressing was so quickly withdrawn and given a repressing. I've heard two theories...

1) They thought it would sell better to not have a cover with black artists on it, or
    2) Apparently, their outfits resembled plantation dresses on some antebellum plantation.

As a lover of rock and roll history, I am wondering if anyone can shed some more light on the album's recall and the controversy surrounding the album.

Check your Soulful Detroit private email box for some information on this request. Thanks.

Here is the official answer to your question relative as to why the original pressing was so quickly withdrawn and given a repressing.

I posted this question to my dear friend and neighbor Lois Harris, who was one of the ORIGINAL members of the legendary Chantels. This is what she stated to be the answer.

"As far as I know, the juke box version of the album was created to foster sales in the south. The record company didn't think the album would sell in the south with a picture of five black girls on the cover. The ironic thing is that the back of that album has pictures of black male groups."

So there is the official answer from someone who was there in the beginning and is still singing today.

wow, for years I always thought those were 2 separate albums. I saw both of those covers in stores in the South when I was a kid. I didn't start buying records until 1961.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Here is the official answer to your question relative as to why the original pressing was so quickly withdrawn and given a repressing.

I posted this question to my dear friend and neighbor Lois Harris, who was one of the ORIGINAL members of the legendary Chantels. This is what she stated to be the answer.

"As far as I know, the juke box version of the album was created to foster sales in the south. The record company didn't think the album would sell in the south with a picture of five black girls on the cover. The ironic thing is that the back of that album has pictures of black male groups."

So there is the official answer from someone who was there in the beginning and is still singing today.
    Thank you, Woodward! Apologies for the late response. But this is great information to have, and straight from one of the Chantels herself!

Love this album. One of the best ever!