[REMOVE ADS]

On Broadway: "An Evening With Diana Ross" , 1976

Also from The Diana Ross Project, a nice article about Ms. Ross' amazing run at the Palace Theatre in the summer of '76. I saw this show from a 5th row center orchestra seat and remember it to this day -
    https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...-june-14-1976/

Oh what memories!! I think she was at her absolute peak at this time. This is what you call a superstar!!

I have always been intrigued by the the quote "His image of her [[Gordy) was something she wanted no part of". What could it have been????
    This was a great show. I was a tad young when it opened in London in 76, but did go to see Diana perform at The London Palladium in May 1978. It was almost the exact same show and i was seated second row, centre aisle. At one point Diana winked at me after singing a song from LSTB. I was seventeen and felt i had gone to heaven. The critics of the time could not understand why she had not performed her latest single which was "Your Love Is So Good For Me".
    My only small critcism is that i felt the focus was more on being an all round entertainer than it was on vocals. Perhaps this was the career path that Diana and Berry clashed on.

You're right Bluebrock,this was Diana at her peak,Berry Gordy made sure of that,i saw the show in Chicago,it was a great production,they[[Motown) put a lot of money into this show,i must say, Diana Ross put on a great show,with The Jones Girls backing her up.the big orchestra,lots of dancers?No Diana could do no wrong.

Diana at her best !!!! I saw this show and I was speechless.
    By the way the Jones Girls were the funk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Was this the show in Detroit @ the Ford Auditorium where the stage looked like Hollywood Squares? I believe the stage was built upward to hold the band.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Was this the show in Detroit @ the Ford Auditorium where the stage looked like Hollywood Squares? I believe the stage was built upward to hold the band.
    Yes. And the Jones Girls sat on 18-foot ladders. I saw the show when I was ten years old, and thought it was the best thing I had ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes. And the Jones Girls sat on 18-foot ladders. I saw the show when I was ten years old, and thought it was the best thing I had ever seen.
    Thanks.....one last question. Was Love Hangover the big hit for this tour? I just can't remember.

Yes it was Detmotownguy.

Diana brought this tour to the UK Spring 1976.

I can't remember the concert it in detail but Do You Know Where You're Going To had amazingly been a complete flop in the UK when released in October 75 but on the back of these concerts here flew up the charts to the top 5 . Love Hangover charted only three weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks.....one last question. Was Love Hangover the big hit for this tour? I just can't remember.
    Yes. While she was singing it, a mime brought out a glass of water. When she took a sip, her voice continued to be heard, obviously from a tape. At that point, she ran off to make a costume change and the mimes replaced her with a life-sized cardboard cutout. After she changed, she came back, continued the song, and brought some audience members up to dance with her.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes. While she was singing it, a mime brought out a glass of water. When she took a sip, her voice continued to be heard, obviously from a tape. At that point, she ran off to make a costume change and the mimes replaced her with a life-sized cardboard cutout. After she changed, she came back, continued the song, and brought some audience members up to dance with her.
    I recall that moment! A the time lip-synching was not as prevalent as it would become later; the audience mostly laughed at this technological wonder, but there was a small gripe or two in the theatre community about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I recall that moment! A the time lip-synching was not as prevalent as it would become later; the audience mostly laughed at this technological wonder, but there was a small gripe or two in the theatre community about it.
    I remember someone writing in to Sepia magazine and asking whether or not she was lipsyncing the entire show. I read this before I saw the show so I had no idea what they were talking about.

I was so proud for millions of reasons. This show set a high bar for my experience of Diana with great production! At one point, my partner turns to me and says esctatically, "she's so beautiful!" If I recall correctly, it was right as she bends slightly towards the audience during "I Wouldn't Change a Thing"!!!.......and I most definitely wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    I was so proud for millions of reasons. This show set a high bar for my experience of Diana with great production! At one point, my partner turns to me and says esctatically, "she's so beautiful!" If I recall correctly, it was right as she bends slightly towards the audience during "I Wouldn't Change a Thing"!!!.......and I most definitely wouldn't.
    A wonderfully stated memory. "I Wouldn't..." was a heart-attack moment! Ms. Ross was simply the most beautiful woman on earth at that moment - hair pulled back, natural-look makeup, the white goddess gown - and that pitch-perfect clarion voice singing the perfect song for the moment. And when she lifted her arms and the Mahogany fashion reel played - Ohhh Myyy!