[REMOVE ADS]

Ray Oddis' "Happy Ghoul Tide" first on Duchess Records in 1962?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  21.1 KB
    I have read on Motown Junkies website, that Ray Oddis' "Happy Ghoul Tide" was first released on Duchess Records in 1962. It seems that Duchess Records was distributed by Instant Records, of New Orleans, which, in turn, was distributed by The Atlantic/ATCO Group.

Does anyone here have it? The fact that Brice "Jack" Armstrong sang it, rather than radio announcer, Ray Oddis [[Otis), corroborates Bert Haney's story [[comments on Motown Junkies) on the Motown Mel-O-dy 107 and VIP 25012 novelty record entries. The Seg-way Music shared publishing with Instant Records' Tune-Kel Music, leads me to believe that he was located in New York, where Seg-way Recods was, and where Haney worked. Perhaps Success Records was a subsidiary of Seg-way?

Here is a label scan:
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-06-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Views: 236
    22 views and no comments! No Motown NOVELTY fans, eh? Good thing I didn't make a post about "Captain Zap!"

I dont have it Robb. Sorry I can't help.

My only interest in this record is WHY!

The write-up on "Happy Ghoul Tide" in TCMS4 [[Disc 21, track 10) mentions that it was recorded in 1962 and that it was a Bruce Armstrong/Bert Haney collaboration, but makes no mention of any earlier release than its 1964 appearance on VIP. Indeed the notes speculate that it might have done better if released in 1962, due to having a similar theme to "Monster Mash", which suggests to me that the folks at Motown were unaware of any previous release.

Of course, possibly they are different recordings, is there anyone out there willing to put "taste" on hold and investigate further.

Roger

The website 45cat has a scan of the finished, released edition on Duchess.

Hopefully, this is the link:

http://www.45cat.com/record/dm62104

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Of course, possibly they are different recordings, is there anyone out there willing to put "taste" on hold and investigate further.
    Roger
    The words......lIne my hands with silver...come to mind. lol

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    The write-up on "Happy Ghoul Tide" in TCMS4 [[Disc 21, track 10) mentions that it was recorded in 1962 and that it was a Bruce Armstrong/Bert Haney collaboration, but makes no mention of any earlier release than its 1964 appearance on VIP. Indeed the notes speculate that it might have done better if released in 1962, due to having a similar theme to "Monster Mash", which suggests to me that the folks at Motown were unaware of any previous release.

Roger
Views: 225
    That website says it was released in December 1962 [[which makes sense, as "The Fright Before Christmas" was on the flip. It was sung by Brice Armstrong, but written by Bert Haney.