[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    If anybody tuned in to Soulful Shack, I hope you enjoyed the 3 great unissued tracks ...repeated tonight 20.00, Monday & Tuesday both 17.00.
    Next weeks show has another 3...Linda Griner, Martha & Vandellas and Yvonne Fair

The Ace website now has a few pictures from the L & A booklet in the sidebar. [[The fourth
    may be of interest to John Perrone) .

Three days to go and I've just put in an order for a copy via the Ace website.

Could be the release of the year and with any luck I should get it this weekend ....

Roger

Yay!!!! My copy has just arrived from Ace.

My copy arrived from Ace today. I haven't played it yet but when looking through the booklet my eyes nearly popped out of my head at the sight of Liz Lands in her swimsuit! There's no way she could go swimming with that hairdo!

My copy arrived in the USA today from ACE in London. It was mailed on 01/21/15 and it took 7 days to go from there to the east coast of the USA. Great service if I must say so.

Played it twice and think that it’s the best Motown girls collection – ever! Not a bad track to be heard. It again begs the question why Motown recorded so much material when they knew that it would be impossible to release at least half of it!

The booklet is a mine of information and great photos. The one of Liz Lands in swimsuit avec bee-hive is a sight to behold!

Nearly all the girls are there, BLINKY excepted. Wonderful to hear a new Lewis Sister track, just wish that we could have many more. Gladys & Martha never disappoint. Would still be nice to have a Gladys ‘Lost & Found’ so that all the found tracks could be in one place! Was surprised and delighted to have a Yvonne Fair track on here as she’s much rawer sound wise than the compilers normal taste!

Favourite tracks? Well I have quite a few. ‘I Can’t Make It Without You’ – Debbie Dean which has ‘hit’ written all over it. Lewis Sisters – ‘Many Good Times’, LaBrenda Ben – ‘Just Go On Sleeping’, Lollipops – ‘Go For Yourself’ and Chris Clark’s totally over the top ‘Forgotten’. I have two extra special favs; ‘Now That Love Is Gone’ – Hattie Littles & ‘Close My Crying Eyes’ – Yvonne Fair.

Can't wait for volume 3

I'll be keen to see what fans think of Wanda's contribution.

Marvelettes fans where are you?

Well of course the Marvelettes are 'my girls'. I like the song but have to say that it got swamped by so many better ones. Naturally it's wonderful to have a new Wanda
    Last edited by copley; 10-29-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Well of course the Marvelettes are 'my girls'. I like the song but have to say that it got swapped by so many better ones. Naturally it's wonderful to have a new Wanda
    Do you mean "swapped" in favor of better Marvelettes' tracks that you know are in the vaults? Just curious.

Oops, my bad. Meant swamped as in got lost or hidden by so many excellent tracks.

Well, I'm not very good at writing reviews but what else can I say? Ace really have done it again.... The usual very high quality product, both booklet and CD, which is now on its third play. Too soon for me to say which tracks I do or don't like, but the Lewis Sisters is an initial stand-out.
    I ordered directly from Ace through their Reissues Direct facility, which is hosted on Amazon, on the day of release. Three days later it arrived through my letterbox, which included a Sunday. Outstanding !
    I know I always seem to say this, but those unsure - buy it ! On initial hearing[[s), you won't be disappointed.
    Thank you Ace. You really do deserve the maximum possible support...

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Well, I'm not very good at writing reviews but what else can I say? Ace really have done it again.... The usual very high quality product, both booklet and CD, which is now on its third play. Too soon for me to say which tracks I do or don't like, but the Lewis Sisters is an initial stand-out.
    I ordered directly from Ace through their Reissues Direct facility, which is hosted on Amazon, on the day of release. Three days later it arrived through my letterbox, which included a Sunday. Outstanding !
    I know I always seem to say this, but those unsure - buy it ! On initial hearing[[s), you won't be disappointed.
    Thank you Ace. You really do deserve the maximum possible support...
    It's great to hear the voices we know and love on 'fresh' material... but those voices are much better than most of the material. You can hear why they were consigned to the vaults.
    However, I'm enjoying both Barbara McNair tracks [[that distinctive voice really gets me), Brenda's 'Reassure me...' opener and the Connie Haines track [[so typical of a Smokey composition and production from that era).
    Full marks to Ace for a classy piece of packaging and a great booklet, it's just a shame I'm let down by most of the material.
    The Miracles version of My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) with Barbara Randolph's vocal on gives us another chance to hear the craziest drum fills ever to emanate from the Snakepit.

I have tried several online sites to order this CD and all have no stock -- backorder only!

It looks like Ace distribution fell between the cracks with their business plan in getting this CD well stocked. I doubt sincerely that it has actually been "sold out" at eight different sites. Too bad.

Can't possibly be sold out since there's no market for CDs apparently these days.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    It's great to hear the voices we know and love on 'fresh' material... but those voices are much better than most of the material. You can hear why they were consigned to the vaults.
    However, I'm enjoying both Barbara McNair tracks [[that distinctive voice really gets me), Brenda's 'Reassure me...' opener and the Connie Haines track [[so typical of a Smokey composition and production from that era).
    Full marks to Ace for a classy piece of packaging and a great booklet, it's just a shame I'm let down by most of the material.
    The Miracles version of My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) with Barbara Randolph's vocal on gives us another chance to hear the craziest drum fills ever to emanate from the Snakepit.
    I hear what you are saying soulwally. I like to play a cd at least 4 times before passing judgement. I am now on my 5th play and whilst I am enjoying it I am finding it difficult to find any real killer tracks. It's a great release of course but I can concede why some of these songs remained in the vault for as long as they did, but I will continue to welcome these releases. Ace do us a great service.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Can't possibly be sold out since there's no market for CDs apparently these days.
    I agree, mysterysinger. It's apparently a distribution and business plan issue. While I GREATLY value ACE, it's disappointing to fans to struggle to buy these items.

You can order this CD direct from Ace as they have it in stock and sell worldwide:-

http://acerecords.co.uk/love-affecti...e-motown-girls

Alternatively, these Amazon UK Marketplace sellers have it in stock and quite a few of these sellers are US based:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...n+motown+girls

Ivor

Great piece of helpful advice. Well done Ivor

Just wanted to say thanks again to 'Team Ace' for this superb release.

I've had the 2 Barbara McNair tracks on continual shuffle this morning. 'The good times are gone' is utterly beautiful. How did it fall through the cracks for 50 years.

The Marvelettes us also a standout. What a stomper! And the instantly recognisable writing of Smokey's Connie Haines track is a joy. It has the same ' swing' to it as the Elgins 'Doctor of love', has anyone else noticed?

I have to say that this has exceeded my expectations. IMHO it is a must have. Thanks guys.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Just happened to catch this comment, lol! Yes. I too remember thinking those drum fills were VERY odd- but I like your choice of words much more! It was almost as if this was a rough draft that made it to finished recording.

In my mind's eye, I always imagine it is Animal from the Muppet Show, playing those drums.....

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    In my mind's eye, I always imagine it is Animal from the Muppet Show, playing those drums.....
    Me too, WGB!!

A great source for Ace, BBR, and other related label releases is at www.ebrecords.com. The site was known as Ernie B's Reggae, but they've apparently branched out so much beyond selling mainly reggae music that they're now going by EB Records. Based in Northern California [[Sacramento), they ship [[fast!) domestically and around the world. I highly recommend them to my Motown and soul-loving brothers and sisters here on SDF.

RossHolloway Guest
    I know that I'm very late to the party in terms of reviewing this release. I was late ordering this cd and finally received it around the same time that U/M dropped the new Diana Ross digital release and then the Expanded Edition of the Supreme's Christmas release and then Unreleased Motown '65, and I'm sure I'll download Marvin Gaye's Unreleased '65 this weekend as well [[Not to mention the unannounced release of Erykah Badu's new mix tape that I downloaded as soon as I heard about.) All in all this past month or so has been a Motown collector's fan dream season!

Notes and Takeaways:

The one song that was a true revelation to me was the one by Yvonne Fair, "Close My Crying Eyes". WOW what a great track, more blusier than your standard late '60 Motown record, but it does stand out. I hope more tracks or even a collection of her work finds its way out of the vault.

After listening to this collection both Barbara Randolph and Barbarah McNair have grown on me. Neither is a classic Motown singer but the music on their tracks is pure Motown. It's nice to hear the two GK&TP's two cuts, I hope more continue to be included on these releases.

Was Brenda Holloway the only artist to cover the Berry Gordy written track Lonely Teardrops? Nonetheless its a great track by BH. If I were picking songs from the 64 Unreleased set, I would have picked Today I Sing the Blues by Brenda. That track has got to be one of her greatest Motown recordings and serves as a prime example of her vocal talents and why I'm so in love with her.

It made me smile to know that there are roughly 20 or so more unreleased recordings from Rita Wright before she transform into Syreeta. Would love to see ACE release a collection on her.

I also thought that the track by Oma Heard was a standout as well. I find it hard to believe that Patrice Holloway never recorded this song seeing as she's one of the co-writers, fingers crossed that it just hasn't been discovered yet. I was sad to also learn that Oma only recorded 7 solo sides while at Motown, and I think with the track on Unreleased '65 all but one song has been released. It's too bad that she wasn't at Motown longer to record more material.

This is a great collection, its too bad that no Blinky cuts were included but I guess you can't have everything. I can't wait to see what ACE releases in 2016.

Stumbled across this terrific song and discovered there are two different edits. On the Love & Affection release the time listed is at 3:50 but on this version on Youtube the time is 5:33. I'm not sure if someone did a remix and expanded it to 5:33. I went to compare the song on my ipod and strangely it now says "This song is not currently available in your country or region". [[US). This is weird because I actually purchased the cd and still have it in my collection so I'm not sure why I'm getting this message. But thought this song is worth a re-visit.

It's a fan extended version buy a guy I know who is partially sighted so it's 100% unofficial.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    It's a fan extended version buy a guy I know who is partially sighted so it's 100% unofficial.
    Please let your friend know that his remix version is EXCELLENT. Has he done any other remixes?

Thanks I will do. He has lots of Motown on his channel, check it out