[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

LOVE AND AFFECTION - More Motown Girls from Ace

Pleased to be able to bring you news of the next Ace/Motown CD, due for release at the end of October. Cover pic is still "in development", I'll post as soon as it's finalised. Meantime - here's the track list:

1. Reassure Me That You Love Me - Brenda Holloway
    2. Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I’m Going Through) - Gladys Knight The Pips
    3. My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) - Barbara Randolph
    4. This Is The Love [[I’ve Been Waiting For) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    5. I Can’t Make It Without You - Debbie Dean
    6. Midnight Johnny [[Early Version) - Liz Lands
    7. Many Good Times - The Lewis Sisters
    8. Just Go On Sleeping - LaBrenda Ben *
    9. Lonely Teardrops - Brenda Holloway *
    10. Now That Love Is Gone - Hattie Littles *
    11. Fugitive - LaBrenda Ben *
    12. Envious [[Fast Version) - Linda Griner
    13. Mr Pride And Mr Gloom - Connie Haines
    14. Momma Tried To Warn Me - Oma Heard
    15. Check Yourself - Chris Clark
    16. Come Back Half Way - Barbara McNair
    17. Mother Tell Me What To Do - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    18. Girls Need Love And Affection - The Marvelettes
    19. Give Back The Good Things - Rita Wright
    20. Go For Yourself - The Lollipops
    21. The Good Times Are Gone - Barbara McNair
    22. The Things Time Can’t Erase - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    23. Close My Crying Eyes - Yvonne Fair
    24. Forgotten - Chris Clark
    25. Lover Man [[Oh Where Can You Be) - Kim Weston *

All previously unreleased, except for the ones marked *, which appeared on the "Motown Unreleased" digital download series as MP3s.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 09-02-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Fantastic!!!!
    But I thought that it had been stated in the Hip-O-Select box sets, that there were no more Marvelettes tracks in the vaults. And the same with Barbara Randolph with her U.K. collection. I'm not complaining- just glad that the vaults are deeper & deeper than researchers thought they were!

Looks great Keith, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy

Roger

If memory serves me right, Martha Reeves has stated in some interviews that she really liked "Mother Tell Me What To Do" and had hoped that it would see release one day. I'm sure that you're making Martha a very happy and proud woman, Mr. Hughes!!

Since the cd title is derived from the Marvelettes song, can we expect that they will be featured on the cover?

Finally, the Gladys Knight & the Pips 'Lost & Found' title song "The Things Time Can't Erase". There is going to be one ecstatic boyfromxtown!!
    The only thing that might have made him happier would be the inclusion of an alternate version of a Velvelettes recording.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 09-02-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Mary Wilson list both "Mother Tell Me What To Do" and "Give Back The Good Things" in her itinerary in 'Dreamgirl'.
    As there is an actual Rita Wright recording of the latter, might there also be a Diana Ross & the Supremes/Andantes version in the vaults ?
    Will the "Love and Affection" annotations show if the Supremes were supposed to record the former? And was it before or after Martha did?

Wow! Great news, Keith! Any time the words "Motown" and "next CD release" are used in the same sentence, it's a real reason to rejoice! Thanks!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-02-2015 at 11:50 PM.

This is exciting news! I've been revisiting my "Cellarful of Motown" CDs this past week, wondering if there could be the possibility of a Volume 5 someday. Okay, so it's not a double, there are no Supremes cuts, but this will do fine! I can't wait! And if there's a Motown Girls CD, there's the hope of a Motown Guys CD somewhere in the pipeline!

I`m fizzing at the bung!

I'm definitely getting this set!

Yes, both "Mother Tell Me What To Do," an HDH song was cut for the Supremes, but reassigned to the Vandellas. "Give Back The Good Things" was another track cut for the Supremes. It's possible Rita's vocal was intended for Diana to learn.

Great news...theres nothing like having a new release from ACE/KENT in the pipeline..cant wait for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Wow! Great news, Keith! Any time the words "Motown" and "next CD release" are used in the same sentence, it's a real reason to rejoice! Thanks!
    Seconded! Can't wait for this release. Thanks team ACE.

Fabulous news. Thanks Keith and Co.

Oh I do love these Ace cd's. They make me proud to be British. I can count on perhaps 2 fingers the number of their releases that have disappointed me and I own well over 100.
    Thanks for posting dear friends.

Ms Cucumber,

re the Marvelettes and Barbara Randolph, you know the rule: never say never when it comes to what's left in the Motown Vaults!

and as for the cover, the title of Motown Girls 1 was a Marvelettes track, yet we showed a Velvelettes' pic ... I'm afraid the Marvs may have missed out on the Vol 2 cover shot too.

Mr Hughes

ps to everyone else, thanks for your kind comments. Keith.

RossHolloway Guest
    This is great news to wake up to.

Amazing to get so many previously unreleased tracks on one CD. Absolutely wonderful. How can I wait till release date? I know I won't be able to resist listening to the samples when they go up on the Ace site.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm definitely getting this set!

Yes, both "Mother Tell Me What To Do," an HDH song was cut for the Supremes, but reassigned to the Vandellas. "Give Back The Good Things" was another track cut for the Supremes. It's possible Rita's vocal was intended for Diana to learn.
    The 10th Edition of DFTMC gives the composer of "Mother Tell Me What To Do" as Ivy Jo Hunter.

This is great news! I always love getting new Motown product from Ace! THANK YOU, Keith! Keep us posted as a release date approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Mary Wilson list both "Mother Tell Me What To Do" and "Give Back The Good Things" in her itinerary in 'Dreamgirl'.
    As there is an actual Rita Wright recording of the latter, might there also be a Diana Ross & the Supremes/Andantes version in the vaults ?
    Will the "Love and Affection" annotations show if the Supremes were supposed to record the former? And was it before or after Martha did?
    Carole - I forgot to reply to this: yes, I hope I've covered all these points in the annos! Best, Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    .......and as for the cover, the title of Motown Girls 1 was a Marvelettes track, yet we showed a Velvelettes' pic ... I'm afraid the Marvs may have missed out on the Vol 2 cover shot too.
    Well that narrows the possibilities greatly. It's a good guess that the first cover was chosen because of a fellow Brit's [[who is of great assistance to such releases) devotion to that group .
    I can think of another and his devotion to yet another group.....
    Can't wait to see and hear this release [[although most of us know that we will have to)!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The 10th Edition of DFTMC gives the composer of "Mother Tell Me What To Do" as Ivy Jo Hunter.
    Where is it posted on DFTMC? I don't see it.

Fantastic news. Ace is absolutely the best at mastering. Their CDs are so fresh and immediate sounding. So glad there's a Marvelettes track on it, too.

Now, if only they could find a Marvelettes live concert in the vaults, I'd be fizzing at the bung, too!

I can't wait - love that two Gladys tracks are included here.

RossHolloway Guest
    Pleased to be able to bring you news of the next Ace/Motown CD, due for release at the end of October. Cover pic is still "in development", I'll post as soon as it's finalised. Meantime - here's the track list:

1. Reassure Me That You Love Me - Brenda Holloway
    2. Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I’m Going Through) - Gladys Knight The Pips
    3. My Love Is Your Love [[Forever) - Barbara Randolph
    4. This Is The Love [[I’ve Been Waiting For) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    5. I Can’t Make It Without You - Debbie Dean
    6. Midnight Johnny [[Early Version) - Liz Lands
    7. Many Good Times - The Lewis Sisters
    8. Just Go On Sleeping - LaBrenda Ben *
    9. Lonely Teardrops - Brenda Holloway *
    10. Now That Love Is Gone - Hattie Littles *
    11. Fugitive - LaBrenda Ben *
    12. Envious [[Fast Version) - Linda Griner
    13. Mr Pride And Mr Gloom - Connie Haines
    14. Momma Tried To Warn Me - Oma Heard
    15. Check Yourself - Chris Clark
    16. Come Back Half Way - Barbara McNair
    17. Mother Tell Me What To Do - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    18. Girls Need Love And Affection - The Marvelettes
    19. Give Back The Good Things - Rita Wright
    20. Go For Yourself - The Lollipops
    21. The Good Times Are Gone - Barbara McNair
    22. The Things Time Can’t Erase - Gladys Knight & The Pips
    23. Close My Crying Eyes - Yvonne Fair
    24. Forgotten - Chris Clark
    25. Lover Man [[Oh Where Can You Be) - Kim Weston *

All previously unreleased, except for the ones marked *, which appeared on the "Motown Unreleased" digital download series as MP3s.
    Did you look at any Blinky tracks for inclusion? And how did you decide which tracks to include on this collection?

You can stop guessing now, Carole!

Name:  Motown Girls 2 cover [[3).jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  89.4 KB

Well that narrows the possibilities greatly. It's a good guess that the first cover was chosen because of a fellow Brit's [[who is of great assistance to such releases) devotion to that group .
    I can think of another and his devotion to yet another group.....
    Can't wait to see and hear this release [[although most of us know that we will have to)!
    Thanks, Mr. Hughes, for verifying my theory. Martha's U.K. strongest support will be happy- and it is appropriate as Martha has been very visible in concert in the U.K. recently.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  21.1 KB
    Wow!!! More LaBrenda Ben, Linda Griner, Rita Wright, Liz Lands, Oma Heard, Lollipops, and even more Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Martha and Gladys! I'm drooling! And Kim Weston's is a slow Jazz tune! I can't wait!

Name:  Motown Girls 2 cover [[3).jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  89.4 KB
    A question:

Is the colorization process done digitally or by hand?
    The reason I ask is that there is a semblance of blue-green above Roz's right eye and muted red above Betty's right eye.
    And I'm curious about the dark red at the center [[in direct line with the chin) of Roz and Martha's tops that is totally absent in the same spot of Betty's top.

A question:

Is the colorization process done digitally or by hand?
    The reason I ask is that there is a semblance of blue-green above Roz's right eye and muted red above Betty's right eye.
    And I'm curious about the dark red at the center [[in direct line with the chin) of Roz and Martha's tops that is totally absent in the same spot of Betty's top.
    Looking at the photo in black & white [[as it has been previously published), I see that there was the same level of saturation on Roz and Martha's tops- although I'm not sure how that even occurred.
    But the blue-green eye shadow effect on Roz makes it appear that either she or her make-up artist were off target that day.

Wow, these questions are way out of my area, Ms C! All I was told is that this is the pic that will be "all over the internet" [[ahem) on Monday, but that there may be tweaks before it goes to printing. Have passed your comments along to People Who Know.

Carole, looking at the picture, Roz and Martha both have their shoulders rolled forward where as Betty's are pulled back. I'd say those "dark areas" on Roz and Martha's dresses are actually shadows. As good a job as was done with tinting this photo [[whether by hand or digitally--and I suspect the latter), I'd say that the subtlety of some of the shadows was lost.

I've seen other photos of the girls in those gowns and there doesn't appear to be any difference in the front so I think danman869 is correct. Here's one. I was unable to download it but the link should work.

http://www.last.fm/music/Martha+Reev...f6c6f7e4a72cca
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-05-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Another wonderful compilation! I like the color tinting of the old photos that I've only seen in black & white. And I agree with Dan, I think they darker spots are shadowed. I didn't really think about them until they were mentioned. I love that Martha Reeves & The Vandellas appear in the line right above the picture. Smart placement!

Here's the black and white original picture.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  39.0 KB

Brad/144: "Mother Tell Me What To Do" is by Ivy Jo, is not in DFTMC because Martha's is the only version with vocals and hasn't been released [[yet). The Supremes never added voices to the band track that was made for them.

Russ: I made the long list, Mick the final cut. I seem to recall we horse-traded over a couple of items, but in general it was all Sweet Harmony. The only criterion was never-before-released on vinyl or CD. And Girls. [[Obviously.) And I can't remember whether there were any Blinky cuts on the long list, we started this project back in March...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 09-05-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Keep them coming Keith Hughes we will support these releases any unreleased Mary Wells in the Vault or Stevie Wonder produced 70s Supremes ?

Russ: I made the long list, Mick the final cut. I seem to recall we horse-traded over a couple of items, but in general it was all Sweet Harmony. The only criterion was never-before-released on vinyl or CD. And Girls. [[Obviously.) And I can't remember whether there were any Blinky cuts on the long list, we started this project back in March...
    LONG list .... obviously enough for a few further volumes...
    Although , in fairness, the guys will likely be given a Vol 2 before the girls see Vol 3. Please keep bringing them on.

I agree with Carole....yes Keith, please do keep bringing them on!

While I can't promise to love all the Motown tracks equally, I am enduringly grateful to have the opportunity of hearing them, so that I may then make my own decision.

Soulful Detroit forum is not only the most appropriate place to hear about what is happening with Motown releases from Ace, but also the very best.

As a matter of personal record [[if I were pressed) I could think of another internet group which treasures Motown, but where there is rigid insistence on controlling its members as Hitsville once did with the actual Motown recordings.

It seems that members of that other internet group [[many of whom constantly 'guest' here on SDF; surely the love which dare not speak its name) must accept that they are constantly subject to stringent Quality Control , may be released without warning, or even find themselves summarily deleted...LOLOLOL

We're in good hands right here. Thank you Ralph, and thank you Keith and everyone at Ace, for retaining the high values which Motown deserves.
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-07-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I agree with Carole....yes Keith, please do keep bringing them on!

While I can't promise to love all the Motown tracks equally, I am enduringly grateful just to have the opportunity of even hearing them, so that I may then make my own decision.

Soulful Detroit forum is not only the most appropriate place to hear about what is happening with Motown releases from Ace, but also the very best.

As a matter of personal record [[if I were pressed) I could think of another internet group which treasures Motown, but where there is rigid insistence on controlling its members as Hitsville once did with the actual Motown recordings.

Members on that other internet group constantly 'guest' here on SDF [[surely the love which dare not speak its name), knowing that they are constantly subject to stringent Quality Control , may be released without warning, or even find themselves immediately deleted...LOLOLOL

We're in good hands here. Thank you Ralph, and thank you Keith and everyone at Ace, for retaining the high values which Motown deserves.
    We ought to give a special mention to Harry Weinger too!

And I do believe you just did....so, very well done!
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

honest man Guest
    Cannot wait, another great project from ace and compilers,thank you always

Finally available to pre-order on Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Affecti...e+motown+girls

It's cheaper direct from Ace plus free p&p too.

https://acerecords.co.uk/love-affect...girls-volume-2

You're welcome, westgrand. Some of the stuff that comes up completely baffles me at times, but it all goes with the territory I suppose. All in all , we have a great group of people here who are plugged into what real music is all about. So we're all kindred souls here no matter what goes on from time to time.

Hi Copley, you're quite right, however it's an odd price on both sites.

The price on ACE [[£12.92) is the price you will pay for this item. However, the price quoted on Amazon of £12.99 is their pre-order price and will probably fall before it is released. Pre-order from Amazon and their price guarantee means that you will pay the cheapest price it falls to prior to release.

It is worth bearing in mind also that P&P is included in the price from Ace [[UK delivery only) whereas Amazon now charge delivery for any order under £20.00.

I think I'd rather support Ace...whether or not it costs a bit more or less.

I always try to support the 'little guy' unless there is a big difference in price.