[REMOVE ADS]

venue change for Martha Reeves this Saturday 5th September

Just in case anyone is going to see Martha Reeves and the Vandellas on Saturday night in Bristol UK the venue has been changed from Trinity to Thekla the Grove Bristol BS1 4RB

Just got in from this gig and it was a strange one the venue was a disused boat in a dock in the middle of Bristol. There were a couple of hundred. People there but those who got there later wouldn't of got a view of the stage. Martha told the crowd that she has been taking Lemsip cold remedy, but her voice was good she opened with higher and higher done the hits and a few lesser known songs no one there something [[ from Black Magic) the band were good and her sisters backing were amazing love going to see Martha and the Vandellas live better venue next though please !!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Just got in from this gig and it was a strange one the venue was a disused boat in a dock in the middle of Bristol. There were a couple of hundred. People there but those who got there later wouldn't of got a view of the stage. Martha told the crowd that she has been taking Lemsip cold remedy, but her voice was good she opened with higher and higher done the hits and a few lesser known songs no one there something [[ from Black Magic) the band were good and her sisters backing were amazing love going to see Martha and the Vandellas live better venue next though please !!
    I'm jealous! And "No One There" live to boot. Glad to hear Dr. Reeves and her magnificent sisters were unaffected by the ... shenanigans ... the other night - and that you had a good time. No pictures?

Martha does usually include 'No One There' when appearing in the UK, especially when accompanied by Lois and Delphine - which now seems far more often than Martha performing solo.

On the chorus where the background singers sing 'No one there.....no one there...', Lois takes the lower harmony note, and Delphine takes the top. When they are performing on a wider stage, it is particularly effective ,almost eerie - like the old wide 60s stereo sound.

When Martha was featured on the 'Dancing In The Streets' tour in 2004, I saw the show at the London Palladium, and also here in my home town [[Bournemouth). and got to chat with her three times, on the two occasions.

Martha sang 'No One There' with two young black lady singers on either side of her, each with a microphone. The five of them took up as much stage as they could, and totally replicated the sound of the original recording. In the middle break, they did some neat little Vandella footsteps and arm movements, in perfect unison.

NOTE: for anyone reading this, who has ever enjoyed Vandellas records, but hasn't seen Martha live, or not in a long time.

GO! : and make sure you have even a brief word, maybe even a photo with Martha. If you have her book, take it with you for her to dedicate to you.

Make sure you offer Martha a kiss on the cheek in thanks; just ask her politely if you may have a kiss. She particularly appreciates good manners. If seated, Martha will probably rise so that you may do so [[I got as far as "May I..?" and she was on her feet..) and will give you a broad, full beam smile, and say something like "Oh, I needed that...!"

The encounter will remain for you for a very long time. Roberta75 tells the truth about Martha.

The opportunity to meet Martha in person, after a show, will not be there forever...but just maybe for a LOT longer yet...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 09-06-2015 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Martha does usually include 'No One There' when appearing in the UK, especially when accompanied by Lois and Delphine - which now seems far more often than Martha performing solo.

On the chorus where the background singers sing 'No one there.....no one there...', Lois takes the lower harmony note, and Delphine takes the top. When they are performing on a wider stage, it is particularly effective ,almost eerie - like the old wide 60s stereo sound.

When Martha was featured on the 'Dancing In The Streets' tour in 2004, I saw the show at the London Palladium, and also here in my home town [[Bournemouth). and got to chat with her three times, on the two occasions.

Martha sang 'No One There' with two young black lady singers on either side of her, each with a microphone. The five of them took up as much stage as they could, and totally replicated the sound of the original recording. In the middle break, they did some neat little Vandella footsteps and arm movements, in perfect unison.

NOTE: for anyone reading this, who has ever enjoyed Vandellas records, but hasn't seen Martha live, or not in a long time.

GO! : and make sure you have even a brief word, maybe even a photo with Martha. If you have her book, take it with you for her to dedicate to you.

Make sure you offer Martha a kiss on the cheek in thanks; just ask her politely if you may have a kiss. She particularly appreciates good manners. If seated, Martha will probably rise so that you may do so [[I got as far as "May I..?" and she was on her feet..) and will give you a broad, full beam smile, and say something like "Oh, I needed that...!"

The encounter will remain for you for a very long time. Roberta75 tells the truth about Martha.

The opportunity to meet Martha in person, after a show, will not be there forever...but just maybe for a LOT longer yet...
    I can vouch for this. When I saw them in 2008 at the Jazz Cafe, they exited through the audience in the balcony [[somehow!), and before I knew it, there was Martha heading straight for me. My face must have been a picture, and I just opened my arms and she walked right into them, laughing and apologising for being a bit hot! Delphine followed suit, and then the lovely Lois. Hugs and smiles all round. It was a brilliant moment. Their star quality lies in the fact that they are so very, very warm, friendly and natural. No diva behaviour, just true diva grace and charm. That night they opened their set with One Way Out, a number I never thought to hear performed live, but there it was, and I was on my feet! Brilliant. I'm sorry about Martha's throat, and hope she can get over it quickly. The nastiness at the Brooklyn Bowl will have been water of a duck's back, I'm sure. The lady is way, way above that sort of thing.