[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Melody Maker Article 1973

Name:  Melody Maker Article Feb 1973.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  100.6 KB

Ah yes, the days when you could only find out news about your favourite acts by buying a music paper! This nice piece from February 1973 was dutifully clipped and filed away. Hope you enjoy it.

We quite rightly look back fondly on the "good old days" but as you rightly say we had to rely on radio and music mags to get news on our favourite artists. I couldn't manage without the internet these days though I do wish we had the same high standard of music as we had back in the day.

Speaking of the Vandellas at Motown , Martha says ''I've had eight different girls, and eventually it got to where another switch was no big thing"

Might she be counting the Andantes in that number?

With all due respect to all the other ladies it was Martha whom we paid to listen/watch on record or stage. It was all about Martha and that rightly or wrongly is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    With all due respect to all the other ladies it was Martha whom we paid to listen/watch on record or stage. It was all about Martha and that rightly or wrongly is a fact.
    It's definitely the case that Martha was THE driving force, spokesperson, and sole lead voice in MR&TVs. She made the group happen, organised them, lobbied for them, and saw and seized opportunities on their behalf. Without her, there would have been no show - I never heard of anyone standing in for Martha at a MR&TVs gig! Her vocal style also defined the group and its sound. She is certainly including the Andantes in her "eight women", and always goes out of her way to mention them when describing her 1960s recordings.

So I do generally agree with you Bluerock - on record [[apart from the very distinctive early recordings) the voices in the background are very much secondary to the star voice singing lead. However, live on-stage, nowadays, I think there is a preference for seeing Martha with her Vandellas, over seeing her without them. Perhaps this has something to do with nostalgia for the original appearances back in the day. And then there is also the fun of seeing three beautiful women moving in synch.
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 08-25-2015 at 12:32 PM.

I find it interesting that Martha seems so throw-away about the Vandellas. While some might see "the girls" as just background noise, I think they were essential, at least through Lois joining the group, to the overall package. That's most likely why she's kept several incarnations over the years. I've seen several clips of Martha in the 70's [[most notably an appearance with Sha-Na-Na) that features two women marketed as the Vandellas. I think they just go hand in hand.

Truth is, Martha didn't achieve the solo career heights that she anticipated; I'm sure it was nice to use two lovelies a few feet behind her as a crutch.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Speaking of the Vandellas at Motown , Martha says ''I've had eight different girls, and eventually it got to where another switch was no big thing"

Might she be counting the Andantes in that number?
    Perhaps she was thinking of these two, in addition to Nettie, Lois, Betty, Roz and Sandy......

And if memory serves me right, didn't Martha once list all of the individuals she considered Vandellas? Was it in her autobiography? Seems to me a male name was mentioned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Perhaps she was thinking of these two, in addition to Nettie, Lois, Betty, Roz and Sandy......

And if memory serves me right, didn't Martha once list all of the individuals she considered Vandellas? Was it in her autobiography? Seems to me a male name was mentioned as well.
    I have a photograph that I took of Martha when she had a male Vandella.

I read once that when she used guys, they were called the Vandals. I can't remember his name at the moment but one of the guys used to be a Soul Train dancer. I think maybe, a Glenn?

In the special thanks of her book, Martha does thank many women who she used as Vandellas including the two women seen in this SHA NA NA clip: Alfie Silas and Vonciele [[sp) Faggett.

But when she mentions "eight" Vandelllas in the original article posted above, I think she was just miscounting. I don't think she was including the Andantes in that number. And I do agree with her that there was a certain sound missing, particularly after Rosalind left the group. Her voice was very distinctive in the background.

RossHolloway Guest
    Can someone name the 8 different Vandellas that Martha mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Can someone name the 8 different Vandellas that Martha mentioned?
    VANDELLA, according to Martha: It's a name given to the back-ground singers that I have employed over the years. ROSALIND ASHFORD, ANNETTE HELTON, and GLORIA WILLLIAMSON, were the DEL-PHIS. Because of former contractual stipulations, we had to come up with a new name for a song entitled "I'LL HAVE TO LET HIM GO", released in 1961. BETTY KELLEY, SANDRA JACKSON, SANDRA TILLEY, ALPHANETTE SILAS, VONCIELLE FAGGETT, PATTY HOWARD, CLYDIE KING, BARBARA KING, JANICE SINGLETON, LISA McCALL, DEBRA STEVERSON, JAISON EPPS, JAQUE SHELBY, EUDORA REEVES, REGINA CARGHILL, JEAN TRIMBLE, SALLI ALEXANDER, BERYL MARSDEN, CHERYL DANIELS, SANDY BOMAR, KRISTIE WOODARD, ROCHELLE YOUNG, MARION JOHNSON, DELPHINE REEVES, CAROLYN CRAWFORD, KAREN MCMURRAY, are just a small number of ladies who have graced my stage, and "DANCED IN THE STREET."

Name:  HtZKR.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  12.1 KB

Here's the ALPHANETTE SILAS/VONCIELLE FAGGETT incarnation of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, from the 70's.

An interesting side note: Alfie Silas recorded a solo album for Motown, released in 1985:

http://www.discogs.com/Alfie-Silas-T.../master/387320

Here's the ALPHANETTE SILAS/VONCIELLE FAGGETT incarnation of Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, from the 70's.
    This woman on the left is Patty Howard, not Alfie Silas.

[QUOTE=marybrewster;297897]Perhaps she was thinking of these two, in addition to Nettie, Lois, Betty, Roz and Sandy......

I don't think that she was including these 2 lovely ladies as this appearance is from 1977 and the quote from 1973.
    And yes Martha lists a great parade of Vandals/Vandellas in her autobiography , but again this is a 1973 interview speaking of her Motown days.
    It's likely she may have been miscounting as Reese suggests, or perhaps....was including the Andantes in that number.. [[bless you, Martha, if you were) even in an era when the Andantes were not being publicly acknowledged, as they are today.

That's a lovely photo and it's beautifully personalised by each of them.

Indeed it is! I've learned a hell of a lot reading this thread. Thank you for all your erudite posts, including a beautiful photograph I've never seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Indeed it is! I've learned a hell of a lot reading this thread. Thank you for all your erudite posts, including a beautiful photograph I've never seen before.
    erudite...isn't that something you buy in a tube!! LOLOL

So who's the JOHN that got the autograph on the picture?

I remember watching this show back in '78. The one lady on the left is name Vonceil and performed with the Andre Crouch singers for a time. Both ladies appeared with Martha on Soul Train and in a feature article in the Black Stars magazine in the late 70s.

Yes that's them. Alfie Silas was a very respected session singer in the LA recording market.

Preach Bluebrock preach. Its still all about Martha today which is why shes the First Lado of Motown Records IMO and motwns greatest star and the face and voice of Motown and the most demanded singer from the Motown label in the world today.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

The more so with Diana!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The more so with Diana!
    True, as it is with basically every successful group with a prominent lead. We love the "and The s... " but it was Smokey, Martha, Diana, Gladys, Patti etc who we were attuned to, as per Bluebrock.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    True, as it is with basically every successful group with a prominent lead. We love the "and The s... " but it was Smokey, Martha, Diana, Gladys, Patti etc who we were attuned to, as per Bluebrock.
    True. I was just being bad as I am prone to be at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Preach Bluebrock preach. Its still all about Martha today which is why shes the First Lado of Motown Records IMO and motwns greatest star and the face and voice of Motown and the most demanded singer from the Motown label in the world today.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta
    Martha is certainly in demand here in the UK. She seems to be spending more and more time with us and we are very happy to have her. She has appeared on high profile TV and radio shows and is certainly flying the flag for Motown.
    As I said previously it doesn't really matter much to anyone who is backing her up. It is Martha we come to see and whilst her current backing vocalists are doing a fine job it is the great lady herself whom all eyes are on. Long may she continue to cast her spell over us.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This woman on the left is Patty Howard, not Alfie Silas.
    Thanks for the clarification, reese! I suppose if I would have actually looked at the autograph, I would have noticed that too!

RossHolloway Guest
    Not to open Pandora's box on this issue, but Martha Reeves came to prominence as the lead singer of Martha and The Vandellas. It was not just Martha and two anonymous background singers, to say otherwise is to disparage the contribution of the many ladies who were once Vandellas. And to disparage the contribution of the Vandellas is tantamount to dismissing the rest of the Miracles, the Temptations, the Four Tops, the Marvelettes, the Supremes and every other singer who sang background. How can anyone who claims to be a Motown fan disparage the contributions of these singers? Shame on you.
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 08-26-2015 at 03:25 PM.

I agree with Captain. No Motown fan would even minimize the contributions of the background singers, even the Andantes, nor anyone else who contributed. But to much of the public, the centrepiece and the focus and what they remember are the Marthas and the other lead singers.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Not to open Pandora's box on this issue, but Martha Reeves came to prominence as the lead singer of Martha and The Vandellas. It was not just Martha and two anonymous background singers, to say otherwise is to disparage the contribution of the many ladies who were once Vandellas. And to disparage the contribution of the Vandellas is tantamount to dismissing the rest of the Miracles, the Temptations, the Four Tops, the Marvelettes, the Supremes and everyone other singer who sang background. How can anyone who claims to be a Motown fan disparage the contributions of these singers? Shame on you.
    I agree, and thank you for articulating what I have been meaning to say.

I wonder: how many gigs a year does Martha do sans Vandellas, versus how many with the group? Both times I've seen Martha, she's been with Lois and Delphine. And that's just the way I like it. Say what you will, Martha is synonymous with the Vandellas. That's why there is a list of them a mile long [[see above). Her counterparts, Smokey and Diana, have solo careers that have eclipsed their group days. But Martha? I have never thought of her as a solo singer.

I agree with Captain. No Motown fan would even minimize the contributions of the background singers, even the Andantes, nor anyone else who contributed. But to much of the public, the centrepiece and the focus and what they remember are the Marthas and the other lead singers.
    This. Enough with the phony outrage. No one is disparaging anyone and no one deserves a judgement of "shame". The fact is that to the world at large the lead singers are the known quantities [[not to mention that at Motown the "...and The s" frequently did not even sing on the records). Have Gladys Knight perform at one venue and William Guest at another and see who draws a crowd.

This. Enough with the phony outrage. No one is disparaging anyone and no one deserves a judgement of "shame". The fact is that to the world at large the lead singers are the known quantities [[not to mention that at Motown the "...and The s" frequently did not even sing on the records). Have Gladys Knight perform at one venue and William Guest at another and see who draws a crowd.
    Very good point RobertZ. It's a simple fact that most people do not give a monkey's chuff who is backing the main singer. It's the same with films and TV. Most people are only interested in the actors whilst the producer, director, scriptwriter are given little or no credit by the general public. It may not be right but that's life.

Very good point RobertZ. It's a simple fact that most people do not give a monkey's chuff who is backing the main singer. It's the same with films and TV. Most people are only interested in the actors whilst the producer, director, scriptwriter are given little or no credit by the general public. It may not be right but that's life.
    Thanks; I knew you [[and in fact, most of us here), understand the point at issue. Of course we applaud and acknowledge those who sang and performed with our favorite groups - but to presume that each-and-every group member was a billable star in their own right is just ... silly. Dr. Reeves implies as much with her non-judgemental comment.

Thanks; I knew you [[and in fact, most of us here), understand the point at issue. Of course we applaud and acknowledge those who sang and performed with our favorite groups - but to presume that each-and-every group member was a billable star in their own right is just ... silly. Dr. Reeves implies as much with her non-judgemental comment.
    Indeed. Let's hope we can put this to bed and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Name:  Melody Maker Article Feb 1973.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  100.6 KB

Ah yes, the days when you could only find out news about your favourite acts by buying a music paper! This nice piece from February 1973 was dutifully clipped and filed away. Hope you enjoy it.
    Back to day 1, it's a great article and thanks for posting it; I love Dr. Reeves in her Afro.

Back to day 1, it's a great article and thanks for posting it; I love Dr. Reeves in her Afro.
    It is a great article and that was the point of the whole thread. Somewhere along the way that has been lost.

Amen dear RobertZ. Dr Reeves ALWAYS gives credit to Mr Gordy and everyone at Motown. Miss Martha is Motpowns greatest ambassador and loved throughout the world. Dr. Martha Reeves is The First Lady of Motown and shes the face and voice of Motown imo and she loves her Sisters and they tour with her when time permit but the audience pay to see Miss Martha Reeves.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

You guys put that to bed very well!

And we love all the background singers too, including those behind the curtain on the revue.

You guys put that to bed very well!

And we love all the background singers too, including those behind the curtain on the revue.
    Amen to that!