[REMOVE ADS]

Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 27 67 71 72 73 74 75 76 77
Results 3,801 to 3,827 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

I shoveled coal into the furnace as well. My mother was pregnant two years in a row and we lived in a second floor apartment making it difficult for her to get down to the basement and to lift a shovel of coal. I was 10 and 11 at the time. Not sure if I was on furnace duty when I was 10 but definitely when I was 11.

We moved shortly after that winter to a house with oil heat. Yes the house did smell after an oil delivery. My father still owns that house. It’s been our family home for 61 years.

Ashes on the icy sidewalk - lol - I forgot about that.

Hey gang, one golden oldie that came to mind that you don't see anymore...remember when newly weds would tie tin cans to the bumper of their car on their wedding day? Of course that was when cars still had bumperrs,hehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Do you all realize that[1980] was forty two years ago??? 1980!!!

WHAT???

Google says
    "Generation X is anyone born from 1965 to 1980. Baby boomers are anyone born from 1946 to 1964. Millennials are anyone born from 1981 to 1996. Generation Z is anyone born from 1997 to 2012."

Some of us have no "generational" designation -- or we were not born. Hatched?

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post

WHAT???

Google says
    "[FONT="]Generation X is [/FONT][FONT="]anyone born from 1965 to 1980[/FONT]. Baby boomers are anyone born from 1946 to 1964. Millennials are anyone born from 1981 to 1996. Generation Z is anyone born from 1997 to 2012."

Some of us have no "generational" designation -- or we were not born. Hatched?
    9A, you got me curious so I went to the wikipedia page for Baby-Boomers which led me to other pages regarding previous generations. So, fear not, everyone seems to have a generational designation!

The Silent Generation, also known as the Traditionalist Generation, is the Western demographic cohort following the Greatest Generation and preceding the Baby boomers. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1928 to 1945.

The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation and the World War II generation, is the Western demographic cohort following the Lost Generation and preceding the Silent Generation. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1901 to 1927.[1] They were shaped by the Great Depression and were the primary generation composing the enlisted forces in World War II. Most people of the Greatest Generation are the parents of the Silent Generation and Baby Boomers.

The Lost Generation was the social generational cohort in the Western world that was in early adulthood during World War I. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1883 to 1900. "Lost" in this context refers to the "disoriented, wandering, directionless" spirit of many of the war's survivors in the early postwar period.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

The Silent Generation, also known as the Traditionalist Generation, is the Western demographic cohort following the Greatest Generation and preceding the Baby boomers. The generation is generally defined as people born from 1928 to 1945.

Wow, thanks for the enlightenment, JJ. We are anything but silent.
    Traditional? Sometimes.

Well, since summer is here, does anybody remember the simple childish pleasure of freeze pops? Nothing more than food coloring in frozen sugar water, but everybody had their favorite "flavor". Mine was purple. Also, I recall how much more I liked it when the truck was Mr. Softee and I could get soft serve ice cream in a cup [I never liked ice cream cones].

Sure do, Jer! Also, survey question here: What did you call frozen Kool-Aid on a stick in a Dixie Cup where you grew up? Different regions call it different things; in Savannah, we called them "thrills."

I always have these on hand in my freezer. My favorite is orange. Remember when two were frozen together?

sans: I never enjoyed that particular treat as a child. I used to love Kool-Aid, so I would have appreciated it as a child.

9A: At least Popsicles have a real flavor. I'd try to get the orange ones before they were gone [and then grape]. I insist freeze pops are nothing but sugar in water and the colors are not indicative of the flavor. It's like when my recently deceased aunt used to put sugar and food color in a cup of milk when I was a child. Somehow, that was the best treat when I was too young to realize she was using a magic trick on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    9A: It's like when my recently deceased aunt used to put sugar and food color in a cup of milk when I was a child. Somehow, that was the best treat when I was too young to realize she was using a magic trick on me.
    Try putting Hershey's chocolate syrup in milk. Still yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    Try putting Hershey's chocolate syrup in milk. Still yummy.
    Agreed. I still do that, by the way. Actually, since Hershey's syrup has recently gone up in price in my local stores, I now mix a tablespoon of sugar with a teaspoon of Hershey's cocoa powder and it's like Nestlé's quick from scratch. Some things never grow old, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    ummmmm....i want one!!!

Hey...does anyone still put good ol[kero syrup]on pancakes?

Hey...does anyone still put good ol[kero syrup]on pancakes?
    We used it on pancakes when I was a kid. Last year, I bought a bottle to try, I guess for nostalgia purposes. I put it on my pancakes and did not like it.

We grew up on a budget. Did people use it back then to save money or was there no such thing as pancake syrup?

I'm making pancakes for lunch. My wife puts grape jelly on hers but I'm only ever going to use maple syrup.

I actually use[king]syrup these days, but man karo was so good back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The song I Can't Give You Anything But Love had the line "Diamond bracelets Woolworths doesn't sell, baby" in it. To get played on BBC, they had to change it to "...that the stores don't sell...".
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  21.1 KB
    Why? Did The BBC prohibit references to specific commercial operations because it would give them an unfair free advertising advantage over firms not mentioned? I know there were Woolworth's stores in The UK between 1909 and 2008. I've seen many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    And when adult came over, us kids had to be quickly herded to the backrooms. All doors were closed and locked. And you better not even think about coming up front! You shoulda eat beforehand!! And you voice bet not be heard out of your room. No gaming, Internet, cellphones, or 99 inch Surround Sound 5K Viewing Stations[[TV set) in the late 60s-70s!! Many a kid perished from sheer boredom.
Views: 230
    Back in the late 1940s and early 1950s we had not only none of that, but also no TV, and no portable, or even small radios. All we had was a large radio console in the living room, with a record player [[old Victrola style, for 78s), and comic books, and board games, and cards. Amazing how life has changed!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Why? Did The BBC prohibit references to specific commercial operations because it would give them an unfair free advertising advantage over firms not mentioned? I know there were Woolworth's stores in The UK between 1909 and 2008. I've seen many of them.
    Yes, advertising was not allowed.

Views: 230
    Back in the late 1940s and early 1950s we had not only none of that, but also no TV, and no portable, or even small radios. All we had was a large radio console in the living room, with a record player [[old Victrola style, for 78s), and comic books, and board games, and cards. Amazing how life has changed!
    Same for me during that time period. But we did have a small cathedral radio in kitchen, mostly for news and music. TV existed, but not in our home. I watched Horn & Hardart Children's Hour every Sunday on TV in the apartment downstairs.

But I have no regrets. Others my age, have no memories of radio. They had a tv. I remember sitting in parlor with my family listening to the last remnants of radio shows such as Baby Snooks, The Shadow, Lone Ranger, etc. Great memories

Ralph and I are currently watching DVDs of "Mr. Selfridge," originally aired on PBS.
    I believe there is a reference to Woolworth's in it. Selfridge is historical fiction, I'm sure, and F. W. Woolworth came across the "pond" to open a rival department store that had discounted items, a new phenomenon.

Hey gang, when was the last time you heard someone say...great day in the morning???

Hey gang, when was the last time you heard someone say...great day in the morning???
    I still say it regularly! [If I'm not saying "good googly moogly."]

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    i still say it regularly! [if i'm not saying "good googly moogly."]:d
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....that's why you're my hero!!

ANOTHER LOST OLDIE...THE MATERNITY BLOSE, TODAY THESE YOUNG WOMEN WANT TO ACTUALLY SHOW THEIR STOMACHS [maybe I'm out of style, but I believe that a woman's stomach should be covered when expecting]!

Hey gang, when was the last time you heard someone say...Great day in the morning!???
Views: 187
    That exclamation phrase of surprise rings such a bell in my memory. Yet I can't, for the life of me, remember the TV series or film series character from the 1940s and 1950s who always yelled it [[like a calling card) whenever he, or she, was surprised. He was a well known elderly character actor. It was similar to "Daily Planet" Chief Editor, Perry White, saying "Great Caesar's Ghost!"
    That [[the former) saying was very popular among older folks in The African-American community back in The '40s and '50s. Maybe it was just some people who I knew when I was a kid? But, I think there was a TV or film character who said it a lot. I seem to remember that George Stevens [[The Kingfish) said it a lot.

Surely some other oldie [[who has a better memory than I) on this forum, can answer my question.

My answer to your question is: [[1) The last time I heard it in person was probably during the early 1960s. [[2) After that, I probably only heard it watching 1940s or 1950s American films [[which I still do quite often, although, I'm concentrating more on British, Irish, Australian, Canadian, Dutch and Danish films these days).
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-02-2023 at 02:46 AM.