[REMOVE ADS]

Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ... 10 50 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 70 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 3,000 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok now I understand. That was in the early 60s when people were more civilized. Can you imagine a liquor delivery man today? It would never work.
    Wait until Amazon and Walmart start delivering stuff with drones. You know exactly what's going to happen. Those things are going to be shot out of the air with regularity. The pizza delivery drones, too. Amazing that they're going to have to learn the hard way.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 06-29-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Hey jerry,i bet cha that as soon as one of those get shot down in [nra]country they'll start talking about stricter gun laws,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey jerry,i bet cha that as soon as one of those get shot down in [nra]country they'll start talking about stricter gun laws,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    I'm guessing that they're going to start flying them only in the suburbs. Too many guns in the inner city and out in the country.

And let's not forget the driverless cars and robot deliveries. All this new tech's going to start a whole new industry. Legal problems too.

I dare em to send a robot car to the hood...can't wait to see the headlines on that one-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wait until Amazon and Walmart start delivering stuff with drones. You know exactly what's going to happen. Those things are going to be shot out of the air with regularity. The pizza delivery drones, too. Amazing that they're going to have to learn the hard way.
    Jerry, they already have driver-less pizza delivery cars for Dominos in parts of the country. I can already imagine a lot of "missing" drones when they start using them LOL!

I'm guessing that they're going to start flying them only in the suburbs. Too many guns in the inner city and out in the country.
    You'd be surprised though. People in the suburbs and especially in rural areas have tons of guns of all types!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    And let's not forget the driverless cars and robot deliveries. All this new tech's going to start a whole new industry. Legal problems too.
    and I thought it was bad when they installed the auto tellers at the toll bridges in Philly back in the mid 80s and then went to the "EZ - Pass" all around NY in the mid 90s!

You'd be surprised though. People in the suburbs and especially in rural areas have tons of guns of all types!
    Yep. And the suburban kids all have plenty of loot and social issues out the ying yang. They can afford the pizza but will steal it because they think it's funny. But the first time somebody in the hood tries to use an expired credit card, they'll stop delivering there. They'll be flipping robot cars over left and right in the suburbs and they'll still find a reason to continue serving them.

Yep. And the suburban kids all have plenty of loot and social issues out the ying yang. They can afford the pizza but will steal it because they think it's funny. But the first time somebody in the hood tries to use an expired credit card, they'll stop delivering there. They'll be flipping robot cars over left and right in the suburbs and they'll still find a reason to continue serving them.
    The Opioid crisis is really strong in rural and suburban areas. Also, those kids always tried to mimic urban kids because they thought it was cool.

The Opioid crisis is really strong in rural and suburban areas. Also, those kids always tried to mimic urban kids because they thought it was cool.
    I'm amazed by it, Marv. They hold parties in suburbs where the kids grab random pill bottles out of their parents' medicine cabinets, pour the contents into a bowl and pass it around for everybody to grab one. They don't even know what the pills are or what they can do to you. never understood why anybody would get caught up on drugs. Poor people have enough problems already and rich people can self-medicate by indulgence in other areas. I remember seeing needles in the gutters and smelling the piss and crap from winos and hoppers invading abandoned storefronts as a kid and swearing that I'd never go that route. I don't even drink or smoke because of what I saw as a kid.

I'm amazed by it, Marv. They hold parties in suburbs where the kids grab random pill bottles out of their parents' medicine cabinets, pour the contents into a bowl and pass it around for everybody to grab one. They don't even know what the pills are or what they can do to you. never understood why anybody would get caught up on drugs. Poor people have enough problems already and rich people can self-medicate by indulgence in other areas. I remember seeing needles in the gutters and smelling the piss and crap from winos and hoppers invading abandoned storefronts as a kid and swearing that I'd never go that route. I don't even drink or smoke because of what I saw as a kid.
    Those are called "Pill Parties". I have heard of them. I still have lots of family in Ohio where the opioid crisis is really bad. Just lost another childhood friend to it 2 weeks ago.

Back to current styles. Remember when your hair got too long, your buddies would say, " Hey, man! Ain't heard about that new invention? The comb [[brush - for ladies)?!" Or when the only one who had blue hair [[add any color nowadays) was your 81 year old Grandma? If you got holes in your jeans, Mom would promptly sew or iron on a patch[[es)? And the only person wearing sliders [[flip-flops) with socks was your 83 year old grandpa! " Times, they are a'changin'.

I'm on a roll! A computer used to be something the size of a small newsroom. It had to be climate-controlled and run by a team of highly skilled scientists! A hard drive was something you and the family made to the grandparents' house! A mouse was something Dad caught In a trap! A disk was something your uncle always complained about in his back! Technology--shmecnology!!!

I'm on a roll! A computer used to be something the size of a small newsroom. It had to be climate-controlled and run by a team of highly skilled scientists! A hard drive was something you and the family made to the grandparents' house! A mouse was something Dad caught In a trap! A disk was something your uncle always complained about in his back! Technology--shmecnology!!!
    I bought my first home computer from CompUSA in 1996 [[remember them?). It had a 16 gigabyte hard drive that I would eventually add a 40 gig drive to supplement. Nowadays, I'll buy a 32 or 64 gig hard drive when I see them on sale for $8, not because I need them but because that storage is bound to be important. The laptop I'm using has a terabyte of memory and it only cost $350 a couple years ago. Yeah, the times changed.

Then there's the one boxed with cow patches all over it! What did a cow have to do with a computer?

That was Gateway computers. Once a major player; now a trivia question.

Yes, Jerry and Marv. Growing up in the Boogie Down Bronx, it was nothing to see crack baggies in the gutter. Down the street of my aunt's, there was what was then called a "head shop". Sold drug paraphernalia right alongside the Twinkies and Little Debbies. Needless to say, we kids grew up fast! Fort Apache. Bronx River Projects was our neighborhood!

Was walking up the steps to my aunt's house and saw a guy shooting up in an abandoned bldg next door! In broad daylight! With packs of kids on the sidewalk, no less!

Yes, Jerry and Marv. Growing up in the Boogie Down Bronx, it was nothing to see crack baggies in the gutter. Down the street of my aunt's, there was what was then called a "head shop". Sold drug paraphernalia right alongside the Twinkies and Little Debbies. Needless to say, we kids grew up fast! Fort Apache. Bronx River Projects was our neighborhood!
    I used to buy reggae records from a Jamaican head shop near downtown Columbus. And yeah, it was owned and staffed by real Jamaicans and smelled unashamedly like weed every time I visited. It was the only place I could find some music. I still have an African-shaped red, black, gold and green "Jamaica/Africa" pin on one of my Autumn jackets from back then. Every time I see it, I think about where it came from.

Was walking up the steps to my aunt's house and saw a guy shooting up in an abandoned bldg next door! In broad daylight! With packs of kids on the sidewalk, no less!
    Yeah, as I said, I've seen needles in gutters. Heard voices from the dark of old stores with broken windows, seen people stoned out of their minds when I was a boy visiting family on Sundays after church. Thank God, that area was zoned for business investment and cleaned up about a decade later. And as an adult, I've seen grown women staggering bare-a**ed naked down city streets late at night. You'll never convince me that people do it because it makes them feel good. Crack is bad enough. But how in the world did horse make a comeback? It's pure poison and nobody can look at a tweaker and think that he's having fun. What's the allure?

Whenever I get into an elevator in the Bronx, I always check the mirror on the ceiling first. LOL!

We've gone from those foam ear thingys connected to an adjustable metal head piece, to Apple's wireless Air Pods! I miss the old Sony Walkman days!!!

Remember in elementary/middle school, when we had truant officers? Way before metal detectors and cops/ security officers!

We've gone from those foam ear thingys connected to an adjustable metal head piece, to Apple's wireless Air Pods! I miss the old Sony Walkman days!!!
    The Walkman turned 40 this week. Way to make us feel old, hunh?

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...music-player-p

Ever hear this? It's dated by about 20 years, but still a chuckle:

My Walkman got me through many a last lap while jogging. I was never much of a runner but when I could convince myself to keep going, it was usually so I could hear the last minute or so of a song that was playing. Left to my own imagination [[and no music), I couldn't run a mile.

I bought my first home computer from CompUSA in 1996 [[remember them?). It had a 16 gigabyte hard drive that I would eventually add a 40 gig drive to supplement. Nowadays, I'll buy a 32 or 64 gig hard drive when I see them on sale for $8, not because I need them but because that storage is bound to be important. The laptop I'm using has a terabyte of memory and it only cost $350 a couple years ago. Yeah, the times changed.
    I use to have boxes of those discs back in the 90s. All hand labeled. Only thing that was worse was all of those VHS tapes I made in the 80s and 90s. I had be buy whole shelving unit to hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Ever hear this? It's dated by about 20 years, but still a chuckle:

She talks about "clickers". There was a time I had 5 remotes at the same time, no kidding.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..the walkman,those things were too cool,i saw one in the thrift store for a dollar..i paid two hundred for my first one in the eighties.

Who remembers the TV show "Dobie Gillis"?

She talks about "clickers". There was a time I had 5 remotes at the same time, no kidding.
    Now it's a universal remote! Can even make calls on your TV!

Who remembers the TV show "Dobie Gillis"?
    Yup. And My Favorite Martian. Car 54? Where Are You? My Three Son's.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..the walkman,those things were too cool,i saw one in the thrift store for a dollar..i paid two hundred for my first one in the eighties.
    I needed to play some cassettes to do a thread last year. I had to find my walkman as that was the only thing I could safely play them on without destroying them.

Yup. And My Favorite Martian. Car 54? Where Are You? My Three Son's.
    That's good,because I don't. I am not that OLD! LOL! Just kidding. Although, I have clearer memories of My Favorite Martian and My Three Sons. "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" began airing exactly a year before I was born and concluded when I was 3 years old. Still I remember seeing it on TV. "Car 54 Where Are You?" began airing when I was just 1 years old and concluded when I was 2. So I mainly remember it from re-runs years later.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I needed to play some cassettes to do a thread last year. I had to find my walkman as that was the only thing I could safely play them on without destroying them.
    It's tough. I have a box full of cassettes that I may never get to play again. I bought a turn table years ago and it is still boxed up. I have to find a back up cassette player and yep, a VCR for future use.

It's tough. I have a box full of cassettes that I may never get to play again. I bought a turn table years ago and it is still boxed up. I have to find a back up cassette player and yep, a VCR for future use.
    Hey, Marv. They have these combo devices now. Pretty inexpensive. It has turntable, cassette player, CD functionality. VCR/,VHS? No. You'd have to go to one of those conversion stores. Bit pricey, though.

Hey, Marv. They have these combo devices now. Pretty inexpensive. It has turntable, cassette player, CD functionality. VCR/,VHS? No. You'd have to go to one of those conversion stores. Bit pricey, though.
    I actually have a vcr/dvd converter and a combo vcr/dvd player but they are in storage with other things I have not used in years. I had started converting some old VHS tapes to disc, but I don't think I will be able to convert all of that stuff from long ago. I would just rather watch what I can on a standard VCR.

Now it's a universal remote! Can even make calls on your TV!
    Now you can talk into your remote and get it to change channels.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I hadn't played my Sony dual cassette deck in over a decade. One day recently, my wife asked me what was on a tape and when I put it in, the motor conked out and now I can't even get the tape out. Yeah, it's 30 years old but it hardly has any miles on it.

The moral to the story: Always write down what's on your cassette [[or CD).

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    now you can talk into your remote and get it to change channels.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..i tried to talk to my remote,but it told me to go-h-ll..i never win!!

When the kids were little, the remote conked out: "What do we do now?!"

When the kids were little, the remote conked out: "What do we do now?!"
    Shit we were the remote for my Dad! LOL! "Roll over there and change channel for me......." That was our job whenever we watched tv with him back in the day, the days before remote controls! LOL!

Remember your parents not finding a q-tip,so they cleaned their ear with a safety pin?

shit we were the remote for my dad! Lol! "roll over there and change channel for me......." that was our job whenever we watched tv with him back in the day, the days before remote controls! Lol!
    hey marv,that was back in[bc]hehehehe!!

Remember when taking a bath or shower was a simple affair. Just a wash cloth, towel, and a bar of Dial or Ivory soap. Usually, baths were on Saturday. The only other item - Mr. Bubble! [[for bubble baths, of course!) Now?

Loofah
    Body wash
    Bath beads
    Bath gels
    Charcoal/organic/scent-free soap
    Moisturizer
    Conditioner
    Detangler
    Exfoliates
    Shampoo w/natural plant extracts
    Hair milk
    Pumice Stone
    Shower caddy
    Non-slip shower mat
    Multi-directional shower heads/pulsers
    Waterproof/water resistant stereo w/Internet capability

AND more furnished online!!

Remember your parents not finding a q-tip,so they cleaned their ear with a safety pin?
    Yeah or my Ma would twist a kleenex and use it in my ear.

Remember when we would be so happy just play with our little sparklers on the fourth,and only the bad boys set off cherry bombs...until we got older and became the bad boys who set off cherry bombs!!! Hehehehe!!

Remember when we would be so happy just play with our little sparklers on the fourth,and only the bad boys set off cherry bombs...until we got older and became the bad boys who set off cherry bombs!!! Hehehehe!!
    Yeah we would put them in soda cans or down in the sewer and blow em up! LOL

Haaaaaaaaaaa,marv,ashcans were worst but what did we know...[we were stupid,hehe]until we started hearing stories of kids getting their fingers blown off..yikes!