[REMOVE ADS]

Page 45 of 77 FirstFirst ... 35 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 55 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Does anybody remember these?
    I remember gas station attendants using them when they actually came
    out to the car, filled your tank up, cleaned your windows and checked
    the oil.

Yep,you didn't have to leave the car...hey remember when there were no[spandex]uniforms,we wore those good old[wool]baseball uniforms with the baggy pants,haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

I still can't get used to straight, full-length baseball pants. Is nothing sacred?

If you don't, you'll remember soon enough when Spanky the Moron privatizes infrastructure improvement by letting his buddies create toll roads all over the country. But I digress...

It's been so long since I've taken a road trip that I am surprised if those don't still exist!
    Road trip, we had use these twice a day when I lived in Philly and at the Mid Town Tunnel anytime you had to go into Manhattan before E-Z Pass came along. LOL!!!!

Heading east on I-71, we never got to a toll booth until we reached the Pennsylvania turnpike and usually didn't have to ante up until we got to Harrisburg on the other side of the state. Thank God for small things [[like not having to pay to drive everywhere).

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  21.1 KB
    In Illinois we had Tollways started in 1958 for inclusion in The US Interstate Highway System, which were supposed to pay for themselves, and become freeways after 10 years. They never did pay for themselves, and still require payment to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 599
    In Illinois we had Tollways started in 1958 for inclusion in The US Interstate Highway System, which were supposed to pay for themselves, and become freeways after 10 years. They never did pay for themselves, and still require payment to this day.
    That's exactly what happened with the Ohio Turnpike. It opened in 1964. It was suppose to be paid for from the tolls by the early 90s. They continued to collect tolls saying that now the tolls were needed to keep the turnpike maintained. LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's exactly what happened with the Ohio Turnpike. It opened in 1964. It was suppose to be paid for from the tolls by the early 90s. They continued to collect tolls saying that now the tolls were needed to keep the turnpike maintained. LOL!!!!
    If Trump's infrastructure plan passes, it's going to provide a quarter of the money needed to fix bridges and highways and let private entities bid to maintain the rest. They're only going to do it for a profit, meaning toll roads everywhere.

Everybody here should remember analog car radios. I'll bet you could make a lot of money if you could design a digital stereo with old analog buttons.

Beautiful jerry,simply beautiful,i'm tearing up over here,sniff sniff!!

If Trump's infrastructure plan passes, it's going to provide a quarter of the money needed to fix bridges and highways and let private entities bid to maintain the rest. They're only going to do it for a profit, meaning toll roads everywhere.
Views: 602
    I guess all the independent truckers who voted for Trump will be sorry now.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I remember gas station attendants using them when they actually came
    out to the car, filled your tank up, cleaned your windows and checked
    the oil.
    YES! I remember all of that now. They also use to give kids suckers where I grew up. My father even bought the Goodyear and Firestone Christmas albums at the gas station. When I was very young, the gas station attendants wore uniforms.

Views: 602
    I guess all the independent truckers who voted for Trump will be sorry now.
    I think eventually everyone that voted for Trump are going to be sorry........
    Last edited by marv2; 04-01-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Tired and used poor grammar

I think eventually everyone that vote for Trump is going to be sorry........
    ...as everyone else already is. He's put a dent in the American brand that will take generations to smooth out. Voting is not just a privilege, it's a responsibility.

...as everyone else already is. He's put a dent in the American brand that will take generations to smooth out. Voting is not just a privilege, it's a responsibility.
    We still haven't smoothed out "The Reagan Revolution" yet!

Hey,remember when the mailbox was that ugly green before they redid em?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey,remember when the mailbox was that ugly green before they redid em?

They still had the, drab green color mailboxes on Long Island up until the early 2000s. In Ohio they were mostly red, white and blue and some of the green ones.

Hey,remember when the mailman actually walked from block to block,and had no little truck?

Remember when you got your mail with some amount of accuracy in your own mailbox and didn't have to rely on your neighbors to be decent people [[mine aren't) and give you the mail that frequently finds its way into their boxes? Since I keep getting theirs, I presume they get mine and too much gets lost. The Postal Service is a far cry from what it used to be. Rant over.

Do you guys remember "the Milk Man"? LOL! Everyone had this little metal box on their porches and the milk man would put glass bottles of milk, containers of cottage cheese and other dairy products. My mother would leave the money for him in the box after each delivery. Try leaving money now. There is no more "Honor System".

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...try leaving anything on your porch,those fools would steal your milk,and try to sell it back to you..the world is a madhouse,that's why i'm glad we come here to-remember when it was somewhat sane.

I heard about a guy who puts dog poop in an Amazon box and leaves it on his porch for the idiots to steal. I also know that the police in some cities put tracking devices in boxes to arrest thieves. I hate thieves.

Me too,i'd rather deal with a lier..remember when your friends would play at your house,and after put all your toys back where they found em unbroken...today the little brats will not only break stuff,but eat you out of house and home..and back in the day if offered food we took only a small portion,haaaaaaa today the little monsters will clean out your fridge and belch in your face!

I heard about a guy who puts dog poop in an Amazon box and leaves it on his porch for the idiots to steal. I also know that the police in some cities put tracking devices in boxes to arrest thieves. I hate thieves.
    I hate thieves and litterers! I may hate litterers the most.

Me too,i'd rather deal with a lier..remember when your friends would play at your house,and after put all your toys back where they found em unbroken...today the little brats will not only break stuff,but eat you out of house and home..and back in the day if offered food we took only a small portion,haaaaaaa today the little monsters will clean out your fridge and belch in your face!
    Starting about Christmas 1964 on through to about 1971, my cousins John and Donnie would come over and break our toys and then go home. Whenever we went to their house, all of their stuff would be put up where we could not get at it! LOL!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...try leaving anything on your porch,those fools would steal your milk,and try to sell it back to you..the world is a madhouse,that's why i'm glad we come here to-remember when it was somewhat sane.
    I remember back in the early days of working, they would have these cardboard boxes in the break room with snacks in it. You had to leave the correct amount in this little slot. You can't do that kind of stuff today.

Views: 485
    What I hate about The USPS is that they insist on leaving packages at my front doorstep when I am not home, and NOT leaving a not home receipt and keeping the package for me at the post office. Anyone can see the box on my front porch, and come up and take it. Furthermore, they leave them out there without even ringing my doorbell, so I don't know it is there, to bring it in before someone steals it. I requested that they just keep my packages at the post office and leave me a receipt that they have a package for me to pick up. But they refuse to do that now. I have family or friends stay in my US house while I am away [[6 to 9 months each year), and they constantly have to open my front door to look for packages, so they won't be stolen.

At my homes in The Netherlands, Denmark and Germany, the local postal services will ring the doorbell to see if someone is home, or they come into the foyer of the building on the ground floor, and ring your unit buzzer, and come up to hand deliver it to you, and if you aren't home, they will leave it with a designated trusted neighbour. They will also hold packages for you, in the rare cases when you have no trusted neighbour. The USPS is no longer very efficient, nor cooperative. The customer is never right anymore. Those USA patriotic chauvinists, who scream that USA is "the greatest country in The World", see it with tinted [[or should I say, tainted) glasses.

Unfortunately, there are American things that I buy that cost too much to ship to me in Europe, so I want them shipped to my US address. So, I have to continue to risk things being stolen, or pay someone to sit on my front porch to wait for package deliveries. Bah! Humbug!

Yes, I remember when ALL the personal post boxes were that bilious olive green colour. I remember when they were gray in Canada. I remember when street fire hydrants were red in Chicagoland and yellow in Los Angeles. The colour red was used so that the hydrant would be easier to see if covered by snow. Yellow wouldn't be seen most of the time. So it can be used in a snowless place, like L.A.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Starting about Christmas 1964 on through to about 1971, my cousins John and Donnie would come over and break our toys and then go home. Whenever we went to their house, all of their stuff would be put up where we could not get at it! LOL!!!
    I'll never forget the time my cousin Dave came over and went to my room and started rifling through my comic book box. He'd come down and interrupt me as I was trying to watch a football game with a couple of books and ask if he could have them. I really didn't want to be bugged at the time by a hopped up younger cousin, even though he was going through my stuff unsupervised. Anyway, I bought some without covers, so they had no value and I'd let him have those. The ones with covers I told him to put back. After awhile, he came down with about 10 uncovered books in a row and of course, I told him he could have them [[in addition to the ones I already gave him). Well, at some point he was gone and my game was over. I went upstairs to my room and guess what I found? That little sack of **** had ripped the covers off about eight books. Some of them were first issues and bound to one day be worth more. He got me.

Views: 485
    What I hate about The USPS is that they insist on leaving packages at my front doorstep when I am not home, and NOT leaving a not home receipt and keeping the package for me at the post office. Anyone can see the box on my front porch, and come up and take it. Furthermore, they leave them out there without even ringing my doorbell, so I don't know it is there, to bring it in before someone steals it. I requested that they just keep my packages at the post office and leave me a receipt that they have a package for me to pick up. But they refuse to do that now. I have family or friends stay in my US house while I am away [[6 to 9 months each year), and they constantly have to open my front door to look for packages, so they won't be stolen.

At my homes in The Netherlands, Denmark and Germany, the local postal services will ring the doorbell to see if someone is home, or they come into the foyer of the building on the ground floor, and ring your unit buzzer, and come up to hand deliver it to you, and if you aren't home, they will leave it with a designated trusted neighbour. They will also hold packages for you, in the rare cases when you have no trusted neighbour. The USPS is no longer very efficient, nor cooperative. The customer is never right anymore. Those USA patriotic chauvinists, who scream that USA is "the greatest country in The World", see it with tinted [[or should I say, tainted) glasses.

Unfortunately, there are American things that I buy that cost too much to ship to me in Europe, so I want them shipped to my US address. So, I have to continue to risk things being stolen, or pay someone to sit on my front porch to wait for package deliveries. Bah! Humbug!

Yes, I remember when ALL the personal post boxes were that bilious olive green colour. I remember when they were gray in Canada. I remember when street fire hydrants were red in Chicagoland and yellow in Los Angeles. The colour red was used so that the hydrant would be easier to see if covered by snow. Yellow wouldn't be seen most of the time. So it can be used in a snowless place, like L.A.
    The USPS is supposed to ring, Robb. In some cases, you can instruct them to leave a notice when they get no answer and either leave the package on the third attempt or take it to the post office for pickup.

I hate package delivery companies leaving boxes on the porch for anybody to take. It's begging someone to rip you off.

The USPS is supposed to ring, Robb. In some cases, you can instruct them to leave a notice when they get no answer and either leave the package on the third attempt or take it to the post office for pickup.

I hate package delivery companies leaving boxes on the porch for anybody to take. It's begging someone to rip you off.
Views: 520
    I've been telling them to do that for several years now at the PO AND talking to the delivery person directly, and they still just leave the package anyway. And they DON'T even bother to ring the bell. Also, Federal Express and DSL also just leave the packages now, without leaving a note and trying to deliver them 3 times. Delivery cost is so cheap now that they don't care about keeping their customers happy. It all makes no sense.

I'll never forget the time my cousin Dave came over and went to my room and started rifling through my comic book box. He'd come down and interrupt me as I was trying to watch a football game with a couple of books and ask if he could have them. I really didn't want to be bugged at the time by a hopped up younger cousin, even though he was going through my stuff unsupervised. Anyway, I bought some without covers, so they had no value and I'd let him have those. The ones with covers I told him to put back. After awhile, he came down with about 10 uncovered books in a row and of course, I told him he could have them [[in addition to the ones I already gave him). Well, at some point he was gone and my game was over. I went upstairs to my room and guess what I found? That little sack of **** had ripped the covers off about eight books. Some of them were first issues and bound to one day be worth more. He got me.

I can see it now. LOL!!!

Views: 520
    I've been telling them to do that for several years now at the PO AND talking to the delivery person directly, and they still just leave the package anyway. And they DON'T even bother to ring the bell. Also, Federal Express and DSL also just leave the packages now, without leaving a note and trying to deliver them 3 times. Delivery cost is so cheap now that they don't care about keeping their customers happy. It all makes no sense.
    Robb, that all started in the last 10 years or so. Fed Ex started doing it, just leaving the packages on the porch and taking off. I thought you always had to sign for at least UPS or Fed Ex deliveries. The USPS is just plain lazy now and they have severely cut back their services everywhere!

Like I said, I feel lucky to get all of my mail. I send the important stuff to a P.O. box because my home delivery is so sketchy. When I get something via UPS, Fed-Ex or USPS, I get a tracking number and make a point to be home when I see it's out for delivery. A luxury of early retirement, I guess. I'm about to place an on-line order now and do the whole thing all over again. Too much stress involved with something that is supposed to be a convenience.

starting about christmas 1964 on through to about 1971, my cousins john and donnie would come over and break our toys and then go home. Whenever we went to their house, all of their stuff would be put up where we could not get at it! Lol!!!
    yeah,i had some rowdy cousins too,but they never touched my toys...i would hide em hehe.

yeah,i had some rowdy cousins too,but they never touched my toys...i would hide em hehe.
    Mine were a couple of years older than me and I would just sit there dumb founded. LOL!

Is it just me, or did my cousins seem to have better toys than I did, even when I sometimes had more?

Does anyone remember the Jewel Tea truck that came around. They sold all sorts of spices, seasonings, dinner ware, kitchen gadgets, etc. It was always a big deal when
    they came around....esp. if you were from a one horse town.

I remember salesmen coming around in the summer,and my mom bought a jesus clock with the commandments on it[remember those]and a bible that i still have today.

Does anyone remember the Jewel Tea truck that came around. They sold all sorts of spices, seasonings, dinner ware, kitchen gadgets, etc. It was always a big deal when
    they came around....esp. if you were from a one horse town.
    I don't remember that one. I do remember the vegatable farmer man that came around neighborhoods in summers in the 60s.

I was watching some old episodes of[the lone ranger]and for a short time i was transported back to those good old days,nastalgia is alive and well.

Remember Jiffy Pop Popcorn?

Remember Jiffy Pop Popcorn?
    Yes ,we even talked about it a few times here. It never cooked the way it does in the commercial. LOL!

How appetizing does this look! I remember the Swanson chicken dinners from when I was a kid. I guess I thought they were pretty cool. I can't imagine what the hell I was thinking!

How appetizing does this look! I remember the Swanson chicken dinners from when I was a kid. I guess I thought they were pretty cool. I can't imagine what the hell I was thinking!

For us, the 70s meant fish sticks and tater tots for dinner because my Mother started back to working as a teacher after she had finished having kids. LOL!

I'm still not sure what that odd piece of chicken was that I used to get in mine. It wasn't a thigh or breast. Just a piece of... chicken. And the mashed potatoes were always gritty instant potatoes but the gravy made them taste batter. I used to like the fish dinners best.

I used to love Banquet's turkey pot pies. I ate them until about a decade ago when I realized that each of them had 19-23 grams of fat.

I'm still not sure what that odd piece of chicken was that I used to get in mine. It wasn't a thigh or breast. Just a piece of... chicken. And the mashed potatoes were always gritty instant potatoes but the gravy made them taste batter. I used to like the fish dinners best.

I used to love Banquet's turkey pot pies. I ate them until about a decade ago when I realized that each of them had 19-23 grams of fat.
    I loved those pot pies, too. God knows how much coronary damage I did!

I'm stuck on Sheppard's pie now. Love them!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,swanson dinners,we're all probably dead and our spirits are here writing this post,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,swanson dinners,we're all probably dead and our spirits are here writing this post,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    LOL!!!! You better quit JAI! LOL!!!!!

Remember those little secret pockets that used to be on our pants? We could put some coins up in there,or a girl's phone number,hehe!