[REMOVE ADS]

Page 44 of 77 FirstFirst ... 34 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 54 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,200 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Honestly, I know the 50's and 60's were visually 'challenging'....but, I truly believe that
    the 70's won the prize! OMG...that shag carpet! Does anyone remember foil wallpaper?
    http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...decades/1970s/

Did any of you have an attic? In one of the earliest houses we lived in we had a huge attic where my brother and I would go up there to watch TV, play games and even try to ride tricycles around without making noise.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Honestly, I know the 50's and 60's were visually 'challenging'....but, I truly believe that
    the 70's won the prize! OMG...that shag carpet! Does anyone remember foil wallpaper?
    http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...decades/1970s/
    The one good thing about that shag carpet is that you could waste soda, kool-aid or whatever and your Mom couldn't immediately see it .........LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The one good thing about that shag carpet is that you could waste soda, kool-aid or whatever and your Mom couldn't immediately see it .........LOL!
    I think you could lose a body in there and no one would find it for awhile!

Anyone remember 'bead curtains'? I had some hanging in my first apartment and boy, did I think I was way too cool....NOT!

Foil wallpaper and let's not forget about 'floss' wallpaper, too. Just as delightful!

Who remember these?

Attachment 14077

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    this looks like it came out of my family's photo album. Our basement floor looked just like that and we also had a bar. We had plenty of get togethers at our house and at my uncles' and aunts' houses that remind me of that photo. I can almost hear the music that they're dancing to!
    that's too cool,and that date,the golden years.

Who remember these?

Attachment 14077
    OMG! Pole lamps! I begged my parents to get one. I thought they were so hip and cool. This is around the time aluminum trees were popular. I begged for one of those, too...with the rotating color lights!

who remember these?

Attachment 14077
    haaaaaaaaaaaaa,remember em,heck i still got one in my basement.

Hey remember those pole album racks,man i loved those things.

Memories of the sixties! Yes I remember those pole album racks with the metal brackets, slot to hold the albums. I wouldn't use them now. I think they would make the records warp after a while.

I remember the aluminum trees. I liked them, but they were not as big as our real trees.

Remember when you'd go to the doctor's and they made you take off your clothes and put a 'patient gown' on? Thankfully, those days are gone....as are those white lab coats for a lot of docs. Mine usually waltzes in in jeans.
    Last edited by lakeside; 03-28-2018 at 10:48 AM.

That makes me think about all of these commercials with "doctors" where they all have a stethoscope hanging around their necks. I have never once been to a doctor who walks around with a stethoscope around his or her neck. A lot of time, they actually will have "actor portrayal" at the bottom of the screen and the device and a white jacket are supposed to convince you that they're authentic.

But I remember those darned gowns. I'd swear, they turned the air conditioner down to 65 degrees, knowing that you had to sit there, semi-naked, on a piece of paper pulled onto a cold chair/chaise. Not cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    That makes me think about all of these commercials with "doctors" where they all have a stethoscope hanging around their necks. I have never once been to a doctor who walks around with a stethoscope around his or her neck. A lot of time, they actually will have "actor portrayal" at the bottom of the screen and the device and a white jacket are supposed to convince you that they're authentic.

But I remember those darned gowns. I'd swear, they turned the air conditioner down to 65 degrees, knowing that you had to sit there, semi-naked, on a piece of paper pulled onto a cold chair/chaise. Not cool...
    The examination gowns they use now are made out of paper!

The examination gowns they use now are made out of paper!
    Saving money by not washing and sterilizing them. That reminds me that I saw a news report about how many poor families can't afford diapers, which cost as much as $1,000 per year. Anybody remember this:

They could save a thousand bucks per year by buying cloth diapers and a box of Tide.

Worse! I remember when diapers were just a square piece of white cloth material and you mother had to fold it in a shape to fit the baby and then fasten it on both sides with big safety pins.

LOL. We use those around the place as rags. I remember them hanging on the clothes line. My wife says that plastic diapers are more sanitary and nobody has time to wash a dozen poopy diapers a day.

Remember when you'd go to the doctor's and they made you take off your clothes and put a 'patient gown' on? Thankfully, those days are gone....as are those white lab coats for a lot of docs. Mine usually waltzes in in jeans.
    They still have them in the day-stay outpatients' ward in my local hospital in London.

LOL. We use those around the place as rags. I remember them hanging on the clothes line. My wife says that plastic diapers are more sanitary and nobody has time to wash a dozen poopy diapers a day.
    They also had the diaper service people. The truck that would come pick up the dirty diapers and drop off a package of newly laundered ones. It had the big naked baby on the top of their trucks LOL!!!

Women in my mother and grandmothers generations were something else! They would wash all of that laundry and hang it out on several clothes lines. Then at the end of the day, go out and take it all down, bring it in the house, fold, iron and put it away! I don't even remember any of them complaining about it!

women in my mother and grandmothers generations were something else! They would wash all of that laundry and hang it out on several clothes lines. Then at the end of the day, go out and take it all down, bring it in the house, fold, iron and put it away! I don't even remember any of them complaining about it!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...the good ol days,hey marv,remember baby whites? Those old shoes shaped our ankles and made em strong,don't see em much today all these modern mothers are putting[nikes]on their babys and messin up their feet.

I know I'm not the only one who had some Chucks back in the day. Bought some a few years ago and they had no arch support at all. They looked cool but my feet were sore.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...the good ol days,hey marv,remember baby whites? Those old shoes shaped our ankles and made em strong,don't see em much today all these modern mothers are putting[nikes]on their babys and messin up their feet.
    Yeah I remember. I use to try to kick my Dad and Uncle with them all the time. They even have picture of me doing it. LOL!!!

I know I'm not the only one who had some Chucks back in the day. Bought some a few years ago and they had no arch support at all. They looked cool but my feet were sore.
    I wore those [[ the white ones mostly) for basketball and gym all through high school. Michael Jordan was not Michael Jordan yet. He was a couple of grades behind me. LOL!!!

Remember the corduroy pants with the elastic waste? I use to wear them until at least the first grade. LOL!

Remember shoe polish! Haven't done that in years.

Remember shoe polish! Haven't done that in years.
    Yep! What was the name of the brand that had the cat on the label?

I also remember Kiwi shoe polish.

Foil wallpaper and let's not forget about 'floss' wallpaper, too. Just as delightful!
    My Uncle John and Aunt Dorothy had the foil wall paper going up the stairwell to their second floor in their house. We had the wood paneling in our television room/Den.

Worse! I remember when diapers were just a square piece of white cloth material and you mother had to fold it in a shape to fit the baby and then fasten it on both sides with big safety pins.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  21.1 KB
    I stuck myself many a time pinning a cloth diaper. That's all we had in the "good ol' days", and we washed our own. No diaper washing service for us poor peons.

I also remember Kiwi shoe polish.
Views: 463
    I still have some [[solid brick) from the 1960s. So, it hasn't evaporated, and is still useable. I don't throw useful things away. But, I never use my black dress shoes, so, maybe I should give it away? I go to maybe 1 wedding/bar mitzvah or other dress up social event per year in USA. And I wear my brown dress shoes. In Europe, I'm known as an "artist", so I can wear sneakers or even go barefoot to a wedding and no one would say a word.

Hey marv, my son brought me a pair of[chucks]back with him when he got out of the service[12yrs ago]...and i still have em!!

Remember when-security guards were called[night watchmen]and had to carry those heavy clocks around and each hour they had to turn a key in those things or the alarms in the building would go off,haaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 459
    I stuck myself many a time pinning a cloth diaper. That's all we had in the "good ol' days", and we washed our own. No diaper washing service for us poor peons.
    My mom washed ours too until my two youngest brothers came along. Those pins were dangerous even if they were called "Safety Pins" LOL!

Hey marv, my son brought me a pair of[chucks]back with him when he got out of the service[12yrs ago]...and i still have em!!
    I wish I still had a pair of mine.

I wore those [[ the white ones mostly) for basketball and gym all through high school. Michael Jordan was not Michael Jordan yet. He was a couple of grades behind me. LOL!!!
Views: 454
    We had Joe Lapchicks. A lonnnnnnggggg time before Michael Jordan. More like George Mikan's time, and when Bud Grant [[that great future Blue Bomber coach) was in The NBA!

Views: 463
    I still have some [[solid brick) from the 1960s. So, it hasn't evaporated, and is still useable. I don't throw useful things away. But, I never use my black dress shoes, so, maybe I should give it away? I go to maybe 1 wedding/bar mitzvah or other dress up social event per year in USA. And I wear my brown dress shoes. In Europe, I'm known as an "artist", so I can wear sneakers or even go barefoot to a wedding and no one would say a word.
    Robb, yes! I remember sitting with my Grandpa and watching him polish his wing tip shoes for church on Sunday. He always bought the black ones. I have his very last pair.

Remember when-security guards were called[night watchmen]and had to carry those heavy clocks around and each hour they had to turn a key in those things or the alarms in the building would go off,haaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    I was an armed security guard when I was in college. It was for Children's Hospital in Denver. The Night watchmen you are talking about were the guys around stores and some schools when I was a kid.

Views: 454
    We had Joe Lapchicks. A lonnnnnnggggg time before Michael Jordan. More like George Mikan's time, and when Bud Grant [[that great future Blue Bomber coach) was in The NBA!
    I remember George Mikan. Do you remember Bob Cousey?

I remember George Mikan. Do you remember Bob Cousey?
Views: 442
    Sure, I remember Bob Cousy. He was the best guard in The NBA at the beginning of the 1950s, and before Oscar Robertson. He had his own brand of basketball shoes. We didn't know all that much about The NBA in Canada in those days. And, even in my regular visits to Chicago, I didn't get much exposure, as that city's franchise [[The Stags) last season was 1949-50. They didn't get another team [[The Packers/Zephyrs) until after I moved there, in 1961.

Is anyone old enough to remember those pneumatic tubes they had for money transactions in department stores. I barely remember them. I was fascinated by
    them as little kid.

Is anyone old enough to remember those pneumatic tubes they had for money transactions in department stores. I barely remember them. I was fascinated by
    them as little kid.
    They still use them at a lot of bank drive-thru windows.

them as little kid.
Views: 444
    We used those tubes to send messages, back when I worked for The State of California in 1965-67, before The Internet, when people wanted the physical document, or to see something written, rather than having to write down something said in a telephone call.

Does anybody remember these?

Does anybody remember these?
    I remember those along with my customer card book when I was a paperboy.

How many of you remember this?

Attachment 14093

How many of you remember this?

Attachment 14093
    If you don't, you'll remember soon enough when Spanky the Moron privatizes infrastructure improvement by letting his buddies create toll roads all over the country. But I digress...

It's been so long since I've taken a road trip that I am surprised if those don't still exist!

Haaaaaaa,hey robb,that packers team morphed into the wizards team that plays in d.c. And yes bob cousy was da man.