[REMOVE ADS]

Page 43 of 77 FirstFirst ... 33 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 53 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,150 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've done that, throw them out the window on the highway in my youth. Not now! I hate when people walk from a store or restaurant eating in public and through the paper and containers right down on the lawns of others. That brings RATS!
    When I lived in Memphis, I couldn't drive a single block at night without seeing cigarettes spark up off the pavement from being chucked from the window. Everybody seemed to smoke down there and they couldn't care less about how they disposed of the butts. In Columbus, the trash on the sides of the highways is everywhere. You can't walk 100 feet anywhere near the freeway in the city without filling up a trash bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    When I lived in Memphis, I couldn't drive a single block at night without seeing cigarettes spark up off the pavement from being chucked from the window. Everybody seemed to smoke down there and they couldn't care less about how they disposed of the butts. In Columbus, the trash on the sides of the highways is everywhere. You can't walk 100 feet anywhere near the freeway in the city without filling up a trash bag.
    Just about every exit ramp along the L.I.E. [[Long Island Expressway) in New York, it look like huge ashtrays. The Towns on Long Island are really clean, the freeways, parkways are not. I can drive for almost 300 miles along the 401 Highway in Ontario Canada and not see any litter at all!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Just about every exit ramp along the L.I.E. [[Long Island Expressway) in New York, it look like huge ashtrays. The Towns on Long Island are really clean, the freeways, parkways are not. I can drive for almost 300 miles along the 401 Highway in Ontario Canada and not see any litter at all!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  21.1 KB

Ha!Ha! We used to know exactly when we entered into USA because we started to see trash immediately when we crossed the border! That was most impressive when the border was the middle of a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 401

Ha!Ha! We used to know exactly when we entered into USA because we started to see trash immediately when we crossed the border! That was most impressive when the border was the middle of a bridge.
    Robb! LOL!!!! But I know exactly what you mean. I use to get depressed coming back across the border home hehehehehehe!

Remember when Ebony magazine had those huge pages? I wonder why it was one of the largest format magazines on the newsstand. And Johnson Publishing had that little tiny Jet magazine as Ebony's companion. My brother and I used to look forward to the annual issue of Ebony that showed the black players on every NFL team. They ranged between 7 and 20 or so. Now, you're hard pressed to find a team that has fewer than 35.

And don't even lie. The first thing you did when you picked up a copy of Jet was look at the Jet Beauty of the Week, wasn't it?

Was there any other reason? ,hehehehehe!!!

Remember when Ebony magazine had those huge pages? I wonder why it was one of the largest format magazines on the newsstand. And Johnson Publishing had that little tiny Jet magazine as Ebony's companion. My brother and I used to look forward to the annual issue of Ebony that showed the black players on every NFL team. They ranged between 7 and 20 or so. Now, you're hard pressed to find a team that has fewer than 35.

And don't even lie. The first thing you did when you picked up a copy of Jet was look at the Jet Beauty of the Week, wasn't it?
    I made a huge scapebook of all the Jet Beauties of the Week from about 1973-80!

LOL. I remember all the fellas on the school bus went crazy over Bernadette Stanis' [[Thelma from Good Times) Halloween photo in Jet. Weren't most of those photos snapped by LaMonte McLemore from Fifth Dimension?

LOL. I remember all the fellas on the school bus went crazy over Bernadette Stanis' [[Thelma from Good Times) Halloween photo in Jet. Weren't most of those photos snapped by LaMonte McLemore from Fifth Dimension?
    A lot of them were LaMonte's photo's. I used an old TV Guide to glue them in and fill every page front and back LOL!!!!

And that's why I should have paid more attention to arts and crafts.

BTW: Remember how little the TV Guide magazines were back in the day? They were the same size as Reader's Digest and Jet. They only had info for four stations [[that signed off at 1:00 AM) where I grew up, I wonder if they can put enough information for 24 hours of local TV, all of the super stations, all of the news channels, HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Epix/Starz, all of the sports channels, all of the weather channels and all of the music channels people subscribe to when they pay for 200+ channel cable TV packages?

And that's why I should have paid more attention to arts and crafts.

BTW: Remember how little the TV Guide magazines were back in the day? They were the same size as Reader's Digest and Jet. They only had info for four stations [[that signed off at 1:00 AM) where I grew up, I wonder if they can put enough information for 24 hours of local TV, all of the super stations, all of the news channels, HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Epix/Starz, all of the sports channels, all of the weather channels and all of the music channels people subscribe to when they pay for 200+ channel cable TV packages?
    They also use to print a local "TV Tab" in the Toledo Blade Sunday edition. All us kids would fight over who got to look through it first. We'd take it and circle the shows we wanted to catch that week. Remember there were so few channels and VCR's were not out yet, so if you missed it, you missed it!

I haven't looked at anytype of TV guide in probably a couple of decades. I watch most things now on NetFlix, Hulu and other channels that stream news from around the World over the internet. I learned I can live without cable.

I'm a cord cutter, too. Haven't had cable since I moved into my condo over 20 years ago. I have access to some cable channels via the internet and I watch sports and movies on my Amazon Fire Stick and Roku box. I have more free options than I have time to watch.

I'm a cord cutter, too. Haven't had cable since I moved into my condo over 20 years ago. I have access to some cable channels via the internet and I watch sports and movies on my Amazon Fire Stick and Roku box. I have more free options than I have time to watch.
    If you strip away all of the filler and useless channel on your cable system, there really isn't much there to watch.

I'm trying to get the folks to sign up for Sling TV. They offer 50 channels for $35 per month. All they watch is the four local stations, CNN, MSNBC, and ESPN. Especially since my nephew hooked them up on his Netflix account.

I'm trying to get the folks to sign up for Sling TV. They offer 50 channels for $35 per month. All they watch is the four local stations, CNN, MSNBC, and ESPN. Especially since my nephew hooked them up on his Netflix account.
    Sling TV? Are they national?

Yes. I guess they're international now. You need to have a Roku, Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV box which cost as low as $39. If you sign up, they provide a Roku box on some packages. You also need internet connectivity. I've been waiting for somebody to get it so I could get a review and he told me that he liked it a lot.
    https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-package-tab-3-60m

Yes. I guess they're international now. You need to have a Roku, Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV box which cost as low as $39. If you sign up, they provide a Roku box on some packages. You also need internet connectivity. I've been waiting for somebody to get it so I could get a review and he told me that he liked it a lot.
    https://www.sling.com/#dyn-grid-package-tab-3-60m
    Thanks Jerry. I hope it really takes off. The cable company on Long Island totally rips off it's customers. They will disconnect the line at the pole if you are late paying so that you have to pay them a $65 "reconnect" fee.

It's all about gimmicks these days. I made an electronic payment for my credit card at the bank last month before requesting an account balance inquiry. Since the transfer takes two days, the amount they told me was overstated and I made a withdrawal that overdrafted my account. I found out later that the bank made the payment, then charged me $35 to cancel it. The next day, they did the same thing [[total of $70). I told them that I didn't appreciate being ripped off and they informed me that they normally try three times, as if they were disappointed that they didn't get me for $35 more.

One thing that always makes me sad,is when i hear of a crime being committed in my old neighborhood,on the news the other night it was reported about a murder that happened on the street where i spent my happiest childhood days,yes i know it's a whole different world now but i remember when you could walk down that street at three in the morning and not a soul would bother you because everyone was in the house,some of the fond times i speak of here are from that street...how far we are from our-yesterdays.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    One thing that always makes me sad,is when i hear of a crime being committed in my old neighborhood,on the news the other night it was reported about a murder that happened on the street where i spent my happiest childhood days,yes i know it's a whole different world now but i remember when you could walk down that street at three in the morning and not a soul would bother you because everyone was in the house,some of the fond times i speak of here are from that street...how far we are from our-yesterdays.
    I know exactly what you mean. It has changed so much. Most of the businesses in my old neighborhood are gone.

I recall going to see the parents of an old friend back in the '90s. I had not seen them in 15 years or more. They lived on a street that I hung out on until the early hours after high school football and basketball games. Never had any problems then. Well, when I visited them, the street was crazy. Bangers and street people were everywhere. You'd think it was a main road instead of a side street. I left my windows up even though my air conditioner was not working and it was 90° outside. I made sure I avoided eye contact. It was wild.

Well, it's been more than 20 years since then and the street has been gentrified. My nephew bought a house near my buddy's old place and it looks good as new. All the houses do. And there are no more people hanging out, looking like they're just waiting to start trouble.

I recall going to see the parents of an old friend back in the '90s. I had not seen them in 15 years or more. They lived on a street that I hung out on until the early hours after high school football and basketball games. Never had any problems then. Well, when I visited them, the street was crazy. Bangers and street people were everywhere. You'd think it was a main road instead of a side street. I left my windows up even though my air conditioner was not working and it was 90° outside. I made sure I avoided eye contact. It was wild.

Well, it's been more than 20 years since then and the street has been gentrified. My nephew bought a house near my buddy's old place and it looks good as new. All the houses do. And there are no more people hanging out, looking like they're just waiting to start trouble.
    Well at least the area has once again improved. There are neighborhoods on the West side of Detroit that were once very nice family neighborhoods where I don't like even parking my car now.

I went to school in Denver when it was still pretty much considered a "Cow Town" now it is a Metropolis.

I used to trek through the old hood about once a year,from the late sixties til about[87]and it was so nice just walking through,well i was last up there about twenty years ago and it wasn't safe at all and still ain't,the only way i go through there now is in a sherman tank...very sad indeed.

Give these fools a little time and they'll figure out how to put a [[moving) Sherman tank on blocks.

Give these fools a little time and they'll figure out how to put a [[moving) Sherman tank on blocks.
    They figured out how to do that in Detroit back in the late 80s hehehehehehehe!

Remember how you would go into the backyard,sit in the grass and it seemed like you were the only one in the world,just you and the crickets.

Or jumping in the leaves after raking them up for an hour? I can still smell them. Another really great memory from back then was seeing hundreds of fireflies flying at dusk in the Spring and Summer. I hardly see any of them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    or jumping in the leaves after raking them up for an hour? I can still smell them. Another really great memory from back then was seeing hundreds of fireflies flying at dusk in the spring and summer. I hardly see any of them anymore.
    trump laid em off,hehehe!

trump laid em off,hehehe!
    hehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!

Question...with all the giant cineplex movie houses today,are there any old movie houses left anywhere in america that still show films?

There are about three in Columbus. One now has split it's huge screen into three or four and the others are now duplexes. They show mostly independent and limited run movies.

Your mentioning it made me remember watching "Star Wars" at age 14 on the biggest screen in the city. It put today's IMAX screens to shame. In the age of the cineplex, I've actually watched movies on screens that could fit along the wall of my condo [[which ain't that big).

I need to check to see if our last drive-in will be open this year. I know it was two years ago but don't think it was last Summer.

Question...with all the giant cineplex movie houses today,are there any old movie houses left anywhere in america that still show films?
    Yeah, we have an old movie theater in my town, Islip. It added a second screen about 10 years ago, but everything else is still the same including the old popcorn maker from the 50s.

I really miss those old movie houses,with those small screens but back then they were giant sized[compared to those 19inch tv's we had at home],hehehe.

Remember this [[now) antiquated word....and 'space' in the house?
    rum·pus room

/ˈrəmpəs ˌrum/

noun noun: rumpus room, plural noun: rumpus rooms

• 1. a room, typically in the basement of a house, used for games and recreation.

There are about three in Columbus. One now has split it's huge screen into three or four and the others are now duplexes. They show mostly independent and limited run movies.

Your mentioning it made me remember watching "Star Wars" at age 14 on the biggest screen in the city. It put today's IMAX screens to shame. In the age of the cineplex, I've actually watched movies on screens that could fit along the wall of my condo [[which ain't that big).

I need to check to see if our last drive-in will be open this year. I know it was two years ago but don't think it was last Summer.
    Hey Jerry, is Studio 35 still on Indianola Ave.? I remember going there
    when I was in college. I think it was run [[then) by an old couple. They even had a parakeet in a cage by the concession stand and the lady sold
    homemade brownies. They ran foreign and independent films back then.
    They might have sold alcohol, too. We brought our own. It was always an
    'interesting' and fun crowd!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    remember this [[now) antiquated word....and 'space' in the house?
    rum·pus room

/ˈrəmpəs ˌrum/

• 1. A room, typically in the basement of a house, used for games and recreation.
    yep,it was no-mancaves back then as we kids mostly hung in the basement-to keep us from breaking anything upstairs...a small tv,linolium floors maybe a record player..and us kids havin fun.

Remember this [[now) antiquated word....and 'space' in the house?
    rum·pus room

/ˈrəmpəs ˌrum/

• 1. a room, typically in the basement of a house, used for games and recreation.
    Yeah that's what my Dad use to call our basement in the 60s.

yep,it was no-mancaves back then as we kids mostly hung in the basement-to keep us from breaking anything upstairs...a small tv,linolium floors maybe a record player..and us kids havin fun.
    OMG....linoleum floors! Yep! We had those ugly square vinyl tiles...they
    were also in the kitchen and bathrooms. Mercifully, we were spared any
    pink toilets and bathtubs!
    Last edited by lakeside; 03-25-2018 at 05:45 PM.

I think green was popular, too. Thankfully, we had white. I guess this is considered cool now. I'll still pass.

These were the 'lovely' floors we had....everywhere!

That's where we had our ping-pong table and where we showed our 8mm home movies, and where we had our pool table and a big extra food freezer. In addition to that Rec room, we had an adjacent room that housed the washer [[and later dryer), and the coal bin and furnace.

These were the 'lovely' floors we had....everywhere!
Views: 317
    In Canada, we had linoleum floors in our kitchen and back porch area/service room. But we were lucky to have tile floors in our bathrooms. In The Netherlands, we had wood floors in all our rooms, including the water closet [[separate room from bathrooms, with only a toilet and small sink and towel bar). Only our fanciest bathroom had a tile floor. The smaller one had wood, also.

Yeah well we went form the linoleum floor covering the 60s to the green shag carpet down there in the 70s! Yuk LOL!!!

My Granny had a pink tub and toilet at her house in those days. My Aunt Geraldine had the pink and white flamingos sticking out of the ground in her front yard! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    That's where we had our ping-pong table and where we showed our 8mm home movies, and where we had our pool table and a big extra food freezer. In addition to that Rec room, we had an adjacent room that housed the washer [[and later dryer), and the coal bin and furnace.
    Yes, we had the laundry room on the other side of the basement. There is a bathroom down there too.

Did any of you have an attic? In one of the earliest houses we lived in we had a huge attic where my brother and I would go up there to watch TV, play games and even try to ride tricycles around without making noise.

Hey Jerry, is Studio 35 still on Indianola Ave.? I remember going there
    when I was in college. I think it was run [[then) by an old couple. They even had a parakeet in a cage by the concession stand and the lady sold
    homemade brownies. They ran foreign and independent films back then.
    They might have sold alcohol, too. We brought our own. It was always an
    'interesting' and fun crowd!!
    Yes, it's still open. They were showing first-run double features until a couple years ago. When's the last time you heard of a double feature that showed two new movies? Now, I guess they do it only one day a week but people like going there for all of the old fixtures and the experience of watching a movie in a place that still looks like it did in the 1950s. That and I think they serve drinks, which is pretty neat.

This looks like it came out of my family's photo album. Our basement floor looked just like that and we also had a bar. We had plenty of get togethers at our house and at my uncles' and aunts' houses that remind me of that photo. i can almost hear the music that they're dancing to!

Yes, it's still open. They were showing first-run double features until a couple years ago. When's the last time you heard of a double feature that showed two new movies? Now, I guess they do it only one day a week but people like going there for all of the old fixtures and the experience of watching a movie in a place that still looks like it did in the 1950s. That and I think they serve drinks, which is pretty neat.
    Thanks for the update, Jerry. I went there in the late 70's and it was pretty cool. Always a fun crowd. As I remember, it was foreign and independent
    films back then. I remember going to the Drexel in Bexley, too.