[REMOVE ADS]

Page 41 of 77 FirstFirst ... 31 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 51 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,050 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Someone actually wrote an article for Politico this week that proposed having rich people "sponsor" immigrants, who would essentially be their serfs. Consider that for just a moment. Someone wants people to be allowed into the country to serve at the beck and call of a presumably wealthy "benefactor". Sounds way too much like human trafficking to me.
    What they really want are slaves or indentured servants. Just like in the long ago past. They want people to take care of their kids, homes, lawns. They want people that will work for whatever they can get in restaurant kitchens, factories and out on farms picking produce. They want people to beg for their crumbs and will do whatever they are told.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 13977
    Will those Serfs have at least a limited period of serfdom and a "buyout" clause, the way indentured servants had in the 1600s, 1700s and early 1800s? Or are we going back to The Roman days of slavery?
    I believe it will be a form of modern day slavery. There would be no end to it if things are allowed to continue to progress in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What they really want are slaves or indentured servants. Just like in the long ago past. They want people to take care of their kids, homes, lawns. They want people that will work for whatever they can get in restaurant kitchens, factories and out on farms picking produce. They want people to beg for their crumbs and will do whatever they are told.
    With the underlying understanding that if they don't like the terms of their servitude, their option is to go back to Mogadishu or some ravaged town in Syria. Horrible, horrible idea, no matter how you want to frame it.

With the underlying understanding that if they don't like the terms of their servitude, their option is to go back to Mogadishu or some ravaged town in Syria. Horrible, horrible idea, no matter how you want to frame it.
    Taking it a step further. I can see it happening with U.S. citizens! They will have everyone over a barrel. I think about how Trump and the Republicans tax plan is punishing New Yorkers [[and other high taxed areas of the country). NY did not vote Trump. NY never votes Republican in Presidential elections. This new tax plan limits the amount of your property taxes you can deduct from your Federal returns. Property taxes here are already in the 5 figure range for most people!

Now my head is racing. What if the wealthy wanted to "sponsor" welfare recipients by having them do domestic work, gardening or working as handymen in exchange for paying some or all of their government benefits? The incentive would be to lose your benefits if you don't want to scrub a hedge fund owner's toilets.

Now my head is racing. What if the wealthy wanted to "sponsor" welfare recipients by having them do domestic work, gardening or working as handymen in exchange for paying some or all of their government benefits? The incentive would be to lose your benefits if you don't want to scrub a hedge fund owner's toilets.
    I remember under Clinton they did try a "work for welfare" program where they had welfare recipients sweeping and washing streets in some cities. This could definitely happen. When you threaten people's ability to get food, they will do whatever it takes. Food is a basic requirement. You've seen people holding the signs "Will work for food". They are kidding. Hard to believe that it goes on in America, but it does everyday somewhere!

Consider also, as robb_k said, they're making it harder to be educated in both primary school and college. It's becoming too expensive for many to go college I think fewer people will enter the teaching profession as salaries don't maintain pace with wages in other vocations. That's a bigger pool of people who will feed into that caste of underprivileged who are only equipped for that lifestyle.

And we're not even talking about the people who are being forced to do manual labor as part of their incarceration in prison. Judges have been found to have deals with private prisons that resulted in more people being sentenced to time for crimes that can easily be punished via probation. Guess who gets sentenced to prison more than anybody else? Yep, black men. It's not about rehabilitation. It's about free and underpaid labor. Nobody is paying attention to what's going on with the penal system but it ties into the discussion about classism and cheap labor.
    https://theintercept.com/2018/01/14/...al-conditions/

Is it me,or did the streets seem less crowded when cars were bigger?

I remember under Clinton they did try a "work for welfare" program where they had welfare recipients sweeping and washing streets in some cities. This could definitely happen. When you threaten people's ability to get food, they will do whatever it takes. Food is a basic requirement. You've seen people holding the signs "Will work for food". They are kidding. Hard to believe that it goes on in America, but it does everyday somewhere!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  21.1 KB
    Already, in The Netherlands, people applying for welfare and unemployment compensation need to work at menial jobs, if they want to receive money from The State. I'm sure that will happen in USA, and I am for it, as long as all people are treated equally, in that regard.

Views: 487
    Already, in The Netherlands, people applying for welfare and unemployment compensation need to work at menial jobs, if they want to receive money from The State. I'm sure that will happen in USA, and I am for it, as long as all people are treated equally, in that regard.
    Picking up litter is very needed in most American cities. I hate litter and those who do it!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Is it me,or did the streets seem less crowded when cars were bigger?
    Is it me, or does it seem like most people live in a bubble with the world extending only as far away as their cell phones? You see four people looking at their phones while sitting around a table in restaurants. Why'd they bother going out of they prefer to spend their time with others? Isn't that rude anymore?

Is it me, or does it seem like most people live in a bubble with the world extending only as far away as their cell phones? You see four people looking at their phones while sitting around a table in restaurants. Why'd they bother going out of they prefer to spend their time with others? Isn't that rude anymore?
    How about getting the train to city in morning with 70 other people. You all ride for about 1:20 mins and not one person speaks to another because they are all looking at their cell phones the whole ride!

If we survive long enough, we'll live in a virtual world inside of 30 years. Nobody will know anyone other than their families when schooling and most jobs can be done from home. Might make finding a girlfriend tricky, though.

I can see the time coming where you could be arrested for speaking to strangers.

We will probably all have cameras embedded to record our interactions. If someone is murdered, cops can use the data to help solve crimes. Unless the cops shot him, in which case the data will be "corrupted" and prove to be unhelpful. I expect all currency to be via a chip so we won't need credit cards or cash. Police will subpoena your chip to track illegal transactions. The good news will be sliding your chip into a hooker's "reader" will be fun.

We will probably all have cameras embedded to record our interactions. If someone is murdered, cops can use the data to help solve crimes. Unless the cops shot him, in which case the data will be "corrupted" and prove to be unhelpful. I expect all currency to be via a chip so we won't need credit cards or cash. Police will subpoena your chip to track illegal transactions. The good news will be sliding your chip into a hooker's "reader" will be fun.
    It has already begun with this new 5G Technology. Scary stuff here:

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...remember when the only[chips]we talked about were[potato]?

Remember the Lay's Potato Chips slogan [["Bet you can't eat just one")? How about when Pringles first launched? I hated Pringles because they didn't seem like real potato chips.

Remember the Lay's Potato Chips slogan [["Bet you can't eat just one")? How about when Pringles first launched? I hated Pringles because they didn't seem like real potato chips.
    Pringles tasted strange. My favorites were a brand sold in Ohio.....Cain's Potato Chips.

I wasn't a big fan of Cain's but they were everywhere back in the day, so I had to get used to them. Do they sell Grippo's barbecue potato chips where you are? Grippo's had more barbecue flavoring than chip and used to only be sold in the inner city but now they're in the 'burbs. They're selling that barbecue seasoning separately now. Back in the '80s, darn near every 40 ounce got sold with a bag of them.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...remember when the only[chips]we talked about were[potato]?

What about Buffalo??? Are Buffalo Chips anything like Buffalo Wings??? Or Buffalo Bearcats???
    Last edited by robb_k; 02-22-2018 at 12:13 AM.

I wasn't a big fan of Cain's but they were everywhere back in the day, so I had to get used to them. Do they sell Grippo's barbecue potato chips where you are? Grippo's had more barbecue flavoring than chip and used to only be sold in the inner city but now they're in the 'burbs. They're selling that barbecue seasoning separately now. Back in the '80s, darn near every 40 ounce got sold with a bag of them.
    My cousin Debbie likes those. Grippo Bar-b-q chips.

What about Buffalo??? Are Buffalo Chips anything like Buffalo Wings??? Or Buffalo Bearcats???
    I think they are Buffalo flavored potato chips.

Before I stopped eating meat, I used to love buffalo wings. I still put buffalo sauce on sardines and seafood.

Does anybody remember when chicken wings were the cheapest part of the chicken? After buffalo wings became a hit, they became short in supply and now you can't buy them for less than a couple bucks per pound. Church's Fried Chicken had to put a huge chunk of breast meat on each wing just to get them to sell. Now, Church's charges an arm and a leg for white meat.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you still have a churches chicken joint where you live????? Wow those places went under in the early eighties here,you could pour a pint of grease out of every box meal.

Yeah, there's a bunch of them in central Ohio. The last time I went to one was about ten years ago. I paid and extra $2.39 to my $7.99 eight piece so that it would be mixed with white meat. Instead of giving me two breasts and two wings like I would expect, having paid extra, those bums gave me one of each. I never understood why people who work in fast food restaurants feel comfortable giving as little as possible to customers. Like when you order a cup of pop and it's 2/3 filled with ice or a large fry that has the same amount in a bigger box as you'd get in a small fry. I'm not asking for anything I'm not paying for, but the commercials sure make the amount of food look to be more robust.

I think that the last time we were at churches,someone poured the grease from a box and backed up traffic for ten miles.

Yeah, man. I tried to use a paper towel to soak up some of the grease from a drumstick and it stuck to it. It wound up being the only fiber that I ate that day.

Yeah, man. I tried to use a paper towel to soak up some of the grease from a drumstick and it stuck to it. It wound up being the only fiber that I ate that day.
    That sounds gross. LOL!!!

Marv, Jai brings out the worst in me. I can't explain it. I don't post stuff like that anywhere else and I'm on five other message boards and Facebook. But when my brother breaks out with some of his good stuff, I have to get dirty with him. LOL.

Marv, Jai brings out the worst in me. I can't explain it. I don't post stuff like that anywhere else and I'm on five other message boards and Facebook. But when my brother breaks out with some of his good stuff, I have to get dirty with him. LOL.
    Next he'll have you drinking hooch at Greasey Grady's. I'm telling ya, better stay from that bad boy. LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-28-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..speaking of grady's,he has a new health salad coming out..[rumor has it that he actually uses one or two fresh leaves]this is big so get down there.

I had it and it wasn't bad. I asked him how he made those crunchy black croutons and he told me he didn't put croutons in his salads. That when I saw two of them moving.

I had it and it wasn't bad. I asked him how he made those crunchy black croutons and he told me he didn't put croutons in his salads. That when I saw two of them moving.
    hehehehehehehehe..........!

I asked my daughter about taking pics on the cell phone,she told me about the port that needs to be used for the printout??? Anyhow i told her about those good old polaroid cameras we used to use that gave us a pic in about five minutes.

I asked my daughter about taking pics on the cell phone,she told me about the port that needs to be used for the printout??? Anyhow i told her about those good old polaroid cameras we used to use that gave us a pic in about five minutes.
    Hey JAI, I had one of those all the way to the Mid 80s. Remember those camera's in the 60s where you took the pic, waited about 3-5 minutes and then peeled the paper off the front to reveal the picture? LOL! My poor Dad.

Yep,i still have mine from way back in the day,unfortunately they don't make the film for em anymore,or i would still be taking those shots,i'm gonna buy the new polaroid and show my automated daughter how it's done.

Yep,i still have mine from way back in the day,unfortunately they don't make the film for em anymore,or i would still be taking those shots,i'm gonna buy the new polaroid and show my automated daughter how it's done.
Views: 405
    I've never owned a free-standing camera in my life. I only got one on my most recent computers and my mobile phones [[and I didn't get one of those until 3 years ago, and have never used the camera). I've only taken about 15 photos in my long life, when someone handed me a camera to take a photo of them with other people. I've traveled all over The World for more than 65 years, but have only my memories, and a handful of photos from other people's cameras.

I love photography. My 35mm Canon is sitting in my dresser drawer begging for me to shoot with it. Although I prefer the photos, waiting two days to find out if your pictures came out right is not an option when I can shoot 200 pictures at a party and see the results immediately.

I love photography. My 35mm Canon is sitting in my dresser drawer begging for me to shoot with it. Although I prefer the photos, waiting two days to find out if your pictures came out right is not an option when I can shoot 200 pictures at a party and see the results immediately.
    I have taken 10s of thousands of photos since becoming one of my school's photographers back in the 10th Grade. I have several cameras. My favorite is my old, big Nikon model. Next the Pentax I've had since the 80s

I have a Canon AE-1. I bought it after one of my [[then infant, now very grown) nephews knocked my Minolta XG-1 over on its tripod and ruined its view finder. I used to shoot rolls of film and could hardly wait until they were developed. I'm almost perfectly set up to create a dark room in my home now, but I can't justify the expense and again, can barely justify the cost of film in the age of digital.

I have a Canon AE-1. I bought it after one of my [[then infant, now very grown) nephews knocked my Minolta XG-1 over on its tripod and ruined its view finder. I used to shoot rolls of film and could hardly wait until they were developed. I'm almost perfectly set up to create a dark room in my home now, but I can't justify the expense and again, can barely justify the cost of film in the age of digital.

I use to run back and forth the one hour photo finishing place at least 2-3 times a week. Here in New York, it was Moto-Photo. They use to give me free film.

I've had several Digital cameras. I lost one at Christmas in a movie theater. Another one was packed by movers and I have never seen it again. I was in Vermont in 2012 and bought a Nikon Coolpix. Had that one until 2014 when I was in Beverly Hills, Ca. I was leaning out of the window of my car to get some shot s of the Beverly Hills Hotel and I dropped it out of the window on to the street! Bought a Canon Powershot in LA and have had it every since.

Dag guys,i getting sentimental over here,heck i'm gonna pull out my old[brownie]from[1959]...do they still make film for those???

Dag guys,i getting sentimental over here,heck i'm gonna pull out my old[brownie]from[1959]...do they still make film for those???
    I highly doubt it........hehehehehehehe!

I use to run back and forth the one hour photo finishing place at least 2-3 times a week. Here in New York, it was Moto-Photo. They use to give me free film.

I've had several Digital cameras. I lost one at Christmas in a movie theater. Another one was packed by movers and I have never seen it again. I was in Vermont in 2012 and bought a Nikon Coolpix. Had that one until 2014 when I was in Beverly Hills, Ca. I was leaning out of the window of my car to get some shot s of the Beverly Hills Hotel and I dropped it out of the window on to the street! Bought a Canon Powershot in LA and have had it every since.
    I have a Nikon D-400 [[point and shoot) and a Nikon D-40 [[digital SLR) right now. Both are nice for different situations. I'm thinking about buying a couple of professional lenses to make some loot on the side with the SLR.

Last time i checked we had one of those little cardboard thinggies that you throw away after the pic is taken,where did it all go wrong,sigh!!!

Okay, speaking of pictures... Does anybody remember this?

^ HELL YES, Jerry! Not only did I have that model, but the one that looked like a little TV as well. I had a cool little collection, including the set for the movie THE WIZ.😀

Do you mean the one that had the little record player on it and raised up the film strip when the record played? We had one of those and I used to love that thing. My favorite Viewmaster slide had dinosaurs on them. I'm a dinosaur geek to this day.

Do you mean the one that had the little record player on it and raised up the film strip when the record played? We had one of those and I used to love that thing. My favorite Viewmaster slide had dinosaurs on them. I'm a dinosaur geek to this day.
    No, but one of my best childhood buddies had that record-player-filmstrip combo. What I had was an actual Viewmaster product; you put the reel inside and the images appeared on a little TV screen. This must’ve been around ‘79-‘80.