[REMOVE ADS]

Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Nah, just that you don't have to be a child to behave like one. Trump didn't become blind to the people's needs because he never cared about them.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  21.1 KB
    I see that Trump is so "Bleep" awful, that we can't even enjoy a joke, and laugh about him! Booooo!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    For those of us who get snow,remember when it always snowed on christmas? Now it's[75degrees]outside on christmas day,and whatever happened to[christmas movies on christmas eve???]
Views: 616
    I remember when we started laying down our backyard ice rink in early October, and there was no thaw until May! Almost half a year of backyard hockey. We always had a nice buildup of snow by Christmas. Thems was the good ol' days, back during "The Little Ice Age".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I remember when we started laying down our backyard ice rink in early October, and there was no thaw until May! Almost half a year of backyard hockey. We always had a nice buildup of snow by Christmas. Thems was the good ol' days, back during "The Little Ice Age".
    Oh yes Robb! The good ole days when kids could stand to be outside in the snow and cold for what seemed like hours!

Views: 569
    I see that Trump is so "Bleep" awful, that we can't even enjoy a joke, and laugh about him! Booooo!
    A lot of stand up comedians have lamented the fact that it's hard to make fun of the things that he says and does because they're already hilariously over the top. Joking about the president in 2017 is more likely to cause a bout of depression than a fit of laughter.

One of my best friends migrated to Duluth, Minnesota and he told me that Lake Superior doesn't thaw sometimes until May. If I ever visit, it'll be in the Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh yes Robb! The good ole days when kids could stand to be outside in the snow and cold for what seemed like hours!
    Do you remember flocks of thousands of birds flying south for the Winter and north for the Spring? I haven't seen migrating birds in Ohio in at least 20 years. I remember how we used to play football all year around, but it was always more fun when it got cold. We played better when the ground in the field was hard as a rock. And playing and sledding in the snow was always fun.

Do you remember flocks of thousands of birds flying south for the Winter and north for the Spring? I haven't seen migrating birds in Ohio in at least 20 years. I remember how we used to play football all year around, but it was always more fun when it got cold. We played better when the ground in the field was hard as a rock. And playing and sledding in the snow was always fun.
    I can remember standing in our backyard, sky is gray and watching huge flocks fly over heading south. With the current climate change the bugs from last summer don't die completely off and some of the birds hang around all winter.

We played football on fields and especially in the streets. We make up our own little teams and the neighborhood girls would cheer lead. This all was before I -Phones and video games, etc.

What about playing with these guys? We had leagues in my neighborhood. We kept standings and scheduled games just like the NFL.

What about playing with these guys? We had leagues in my neighborhood. We kept standings and scheduled games just like the NFL.
    Our board/field is still in my Mom's basement. We would have leagues with other kids in the neighborhood. We'd paint our players with that dime store paint and rub on numbers. LOL! Oh great memories of the good old days.

Hey,remember standing in the back yard after the snow when the sky was light and it looked like daylight,and you'd get so cold your fingers and toes would hurt and mom would make you come inside to thaw out,haaaaaaaa..good old days!!!

Hey,remember standing in the back yard after the snow when the sky was light and it looked like daylight,and you'd get so cold your fingers and toes would hurt and mom would make you come inside to thaw out,haaaaaaaa..good old days!!!
    When they began to thaw, they felt all itchy. Remember? LOL! Remember those old rubber boots with the metal snaps?

These things......

Attachment 13833

I remember playing football in an alley on one of those nights when one of our friends said "Look!" and pointed toward the sky. We looked up and a Great Snowy Owl was flying just over the five story building that was on the other side of the alley. It was one of the most beautiful things that I ever saw. It must have had a wingspan that was five feet across. In nearly 50 years since, I've never seen another one here. Things like that are awesome to little kids.

Our board/field is still in my Mom's basement. We would have leagues with other kids in the neighborhood. We'd paint our players with that dime store paint and rub on numbers. LOL! Oh great memories of the good old days.
    We took our allowance to the hobby shop and bought that paint and those numbers. My brother painted teams better than the official toys.

These things......

Attachment 13833
    LOL. Mom used to stuff newspaper into those before we slipped our feet inside. Galoshes were just a fact of life for us. I could probably use a pair these days.

LOL. Mom used to stuff newspaper into those before we slipped our feet inside. Galoshes were just a fact of life for us. I could probably use a pair these days.
    Jerry we also wore our shoes inside them to school. Once there, we'd pull them off in stored them in the "Cloak Room" heheheheehehehehe!

Remember when you were young enough to fall over and not be likely to break your hip in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when you were young enough to fall over and not be likely to break your hip in the process?
    Oh dear 144man, can we infer from this that you have broken your hip? I do hope not! [[not for Christmas especially!!!!!)

Remember how big those[indoor]lights were that we put on the tree,just about everybody had a real tree in those days,some had those aluminum ones with the light that shined colors on em,yuck,where are those little hats we wore with the wool ears that folded down,those hats were warm.

Remember how big those[indoor]lights were that we put on the tree,just about everybody had a real tree in those days,some had those aluminum ones with the light that shined colors on em,yuck,where are those little hats we wore with the wool ears that folded down,those hats were warm.

Yeah, I remember those big, incandescent Christmas lights. They would get very hot and if left unattended on a live tree [[which we always had during the sixties) could catch on fire. The combination of the hot lights and real tree, however did make everything smell really nice and like Christmas with the pine scent etc.

I remember seeing the aluminum trees with the color wheel at people's homes in the sixties and thinking that it looked cheap, etc LOL! As far as the hat with the ears go, I bought a Russian Navy hat about 3 years ago with the flaps on it. I never take the flaps for the ears down though.

Yep,those light were very hot but nice looking and bright...remember just sitting by the tree after everyone had gone to bed?

Jerry we also wore our shoes inside them to school. Once there, we'd pull them off in stored them in the "Cloak Room" heheheheehehehehe!
Views: 570
    That's what we ALL did. What other possibility was there?

Actually, many days I skied to school on my cross-country Nordic skis, and left the boots clamped to my skis outside, leaning against the classroom wall. No one would steal them back in the early '50s. Several other kids skied to school, too. I carried sneakers in my rucksack [[small backpack), and put them on in front of the classroom door, after taking off my ski boots. Some kids wore snowshoes on blizzard days. It would have been ridiculous to close the schools in Winnipeg whenever there was a lot of snow. I can remember only a couple times the schools were closed in all those years of 5.5 month snow covers [[back during "The Little Ice Age", which lasted from roughly 1450-1959).

Yeah, I remember those big, incandescent Christmas lights. They would get very hot and if left unattended on a live tree could catch on fire.
Views: 578
    You think THAT is a fire hazard, eh? My sister married a Dane. The Danish traditional Christmas has a giant fir tree covered with lit candles, wooden figures of lots of angels, and the rest of the needles' branches are covered with paper Danish flags attached to little wood poles stuck between the needles. I'm shocked that none of my brother-in-law's family households have been burned to the ground after over 100 years of that daredevil behaviour! They drink Snaps[[Aqvavit), too. SOMEONE, who has remained reasonably sober, has to remember to snuff out the remaining burning candles before everyone goes to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh dear 144man, can we infer from this that you have broken your hip? I do hope not! [[not for Christmas especially!!!!!)
Views: 583
    The first generation of Northern Soul dancers is well into their '70s. They're still dancing at all-nighters. Bound to be some falling if they're drinking heavily, or taking drugs. Let's hope most of the oldies still out there on the floor are more prudent than they were in their 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    It was a few years ago in the January snow. I always hope we don't have a white Christmas in case I do the other one in!

We wore shoes in them, too. And I'd run to the coat room to get them at day's end to start the process so I could run home. Galoshes made me feel invincible in rain and snow.

I remember those hot lights. The strands we had didn't work out one light was out and when we broke them out, it was always a process to first untangle them and then figure which might had to be replaced. I also remember Dad on the ladder placing the really big lights on the house each year. Nothing elaborate like these fools these days who spend hundreds of dollars per week in electricity.

Does anybody remember putting tinsel on the tree? Mom would delicately place one string on each branch but I'd need a new box after two or three branches.

Yep,those light were very hot but nice looking and bright...remember just sitting by the tree after everyone had gone to bed?
    I remember being lucky to get an hour's sleep and then wondering what was in the biggest box and who it was for. Also, how quickly I threw aside the clothes as I sat with hands stretched out for the next toy. Greedy little bastard was I.

Views: 570
    That's what we ALL did. What other possibility was there?

Actually, many days I skied to school on my cross-country Nordic skis, and left the boots clamped to my skis outside, leaning against the classroom wall. No one would steal them back in the early '50s. Several other kids skied to school, too. I carried sneakers in my rucksack [[small backpack), and put them on in front of the classroom door, after taking off my ski boots. Some kids wore snowshoes on blizzard days. It would have been ridiculous to close the schools in Winnipeg whenever there was a lot of snow. I can remember only a couple times the schools were closed in all those years of 5.5 month snow covers [[back during "The Little Ice Age", which lasted from roughly 1450-1959).
    Robb, I always get a vision of how great it would have been to be able to ski to school! It would have been like in a movie LOL! We walked many blocks to school in the winter during my earliest years in school before we moved closer to the school. There were far more children around in those days than say the past 10-15 years, so there were large groups of us all walking on different sides of the streets. But skiing to school would have been amazing!

I remember being lucky to get an hour's sleep and then wondering what was in the biggest box and who it was for. Also, how quickly I threw aside the clothes as I sat with hands stretched out for the next toy. Greedy little bastard was I.
    One particular Christmas I'll never forget. Christmas 1963 when my brother were so afraid that Santa would come and find out that we weren't asleep and catch us watching him. We pulled the covers over our heads until we nearly suffocated LOL! I am pretty sure we stayed awake most of that night in bed out of excitement.

I remember those hot lights. The strands we had didn't work out one light was out and when we broke them out, it was always a process to first untangle them and then figure which might had to be replaced. I also remember Dad on the ladder placing the really big lights on the house each year. Nothing elaborate like these fools these days who spend hundreds of dollars per week in electricity.

Does anybody remember putting tinsel on the tree? Mom would delicately place one string on each branch but I'd need a new box after two or three branches.
    Oh yeah I remember the tinsel and for some strange reason, the live trees never had the perfect shape back in those days. We'd draw a tree one way in school, but the one in the living always looked different LOL!

Did anyone else send their letters to Father Christmas by putting them on a fire in the fireplace?

Yep,tinsel lots of fun,being a kid was so much fun decorating the tree...[i'm such a grinch now that you couldn't pay me to decorate a tree]...one complaint-we had trouble finding christmas music on more than one radio station[sad]back in the day all the stations cranked those wonderful tunes!!

Yep,tinsel lots of fun,being a kid was so much fun decorating the tree...[i'm such a grinch now that you couldn't pay me to decorate a tree]...one complaint-we had trouble finding christmas music on more than one radio station[sad]back in the day all the stations cranked those wonderful tunes!!
    Back then it seemed like the Christmas or Holiday spirit was real and everywhere. Locally television played a part and then towns and cities had their own unique celebrations. Now it seems like the holidays are more of a chore and a brief chance to rest than anything else.

Remember when we didn't have to remember when because we were young and living it?

Views: 578
    You think THAT is a fire hazard, eh? My sister married a Dane. The Danish traditional Christmas has a giant fir tree covered with lit candles, wooden figures of lots of angels, and the rest of the needles' branches are covered with paper Danish flags attached to little wood poles stuck between the needles. I'm shocked that none of my brother-in-law's family households have been burned to the ground after over 100 years of that daredevil behaviour! They drink Snaps[[Aqvavit), too. SOMEONE, who has remained reasonably sober, has to remember to snuff out the remaining burning candles before everyone goes to sleep.
    Candles Robb? That's asking for trouble. I remember reading that Queen Victoria and Prince Albert had a Christmas tree decorated with candles. That is not only dangerous, but a lot of work lighting and putting them out.

Remember when we didn't have to remember when because we were young and living it?
    JAI please don't do that.........LOL!

Hehehehehehe!!!

Maybe each year seems to go faster as we get older because we've forgotten more of the things that have happened during it.

Remember when you never had to take a pill or go to a doctor except for that annual checkup[but mom the fellas are outside waiting for me]and now i have pills to remind me to take the other pills[even washing em down with hooch doesn't help]come back youth come back!!!

Remember when you never had to take a pill or go to a doctor except for that annual checkup[but mom the fellas are outside waiting for me]and now i have pills to remind me to take the other pills[even washing em down with hooch doesn't help]come back youth come back!!!
    I Use to be able to fall down 2 flights of stairs and get up and go back to party. LOL!!!

Remember when Stevie Wonder was "Little...".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when Stevie Wonder was "Little...".
    Yes and thinking that he was around my age when he was really much older than me at the time LOL

I remember when the miracles[new record]was-bad girl!

I remember when the miracles[new record]was-bad girl!
    I read about that in a history book in school.........hehehehehehehe!

Hey Jerry. You are in Ohio. Do you remember the "Blue Streak" roller coaster at Cedar Point?

Yeah. I also remember the twins at Kings Island. And when the Beast opened up.

LOL. Does anybody remember when the Brady Bunch did an episode at Kings Island? I was pointing out familiar sights.

Yeah. I also remember the twins at Kings Island. And when the Beast opened up.

LOL. Does anybody remember when the Brady Bunch did an episode at Kings Island? I was pointing out familiar sights.
    I couldn't wait until every spring/summer to go to Cedar Point and ride the Blue Streak. I only got to play golf down at Kings Island when I was all grown up with my first real job after college. LOL! I remember the Brady Bunch doing the Kings Island show. I think that's back when I believed they were a real family LOL!!!!

Every Friday night, we were in front of the television watching The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. Before that, it was Portrait of Eddie's Father on Friday nights that used to keep us glued to the screen. And when Sanford and Son hit, it was Friday night's must see TV in our household. The first serious shows that we watched were Room 222 [[whcih we already discussed) and The Mod Squad. Link Hayes was my hero.