[REMOVE ADS]

Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 14 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 34 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey remember those pre[polariod]days when we had to send our photos to the drug store to get em developed,and our anticipation[about a week]to get em back?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember those days, related to our family's photos. But, I'm over 70 years old, and never owned a hand camera. I finally owned a camera when it came with my desktop I-Mac in 2007. I finally got a hand camera when I bought my first mobile phone 2 years ago. But, I've never used it. I worked for The UN for 20 years, in Africa and Asia, and traveled all over Europe and North America many years, and never took a photo [[other than tourists asking me to take photos of them with their cameras. I think I've pushed a button on a camera [[someone else's) maybe 10 times in my long life. I skied and mountain climbed in Morocco, Turkey, Slovakia, all over Canada, USA, Norway, Sweden, The Alps, highlands of Ethiopia, Lebanon. been to ancient ruins all over Europe, The Mediterranean, North Africa, The Middle and Far East, rainforests in Africa and Southeast Asia, and took not one photo. I have only a handful of photos friends or family have taken. I'm like Al Capone. Photos of me are rare. I have no photo album.

I was about four when i went with my father to the shop in da hood[where else?]
Views: 272
    I was about 3 when I got my first haircut. Like all my haircuts before age 10 or so, my parents just had the barber use the electric shaver to shave it pretty short all over. That was called a "butch haircut". I had kinky hair, so, I didn't mind. Children's haircuts were 25¢ Canadian in Winnipeg, and 25¢ US in Chicago, when we visited there in summer or Christmas vacation. After we moved to Chicago near the beginning of the '60s, I got my haircuts in "Da Hood", on The South Side, a couple doors down from my father's grocery store. I still got a clipper short-cropped cut, as I didn't like a lot of hair on my head. Afros hadn't come in yet, and when they did, I didn't let my hair grow out.

Remember the neighbor who had a great record collection and wasn't shy about letting it blast in the summer?

Remember the neighbor who had a great record collection and wasn't shy about letting it blast in the summer?
    Y'all must live up north! I blasted my huge collection in the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 301
    I remember those days, related to our family's photos. But, I'm over 70 years old, and never owned a hand camera. I finally owned a camera when it came with my desktop I-Mac in 2007. I finally got a hand camera when I bought my first mobile phone 2 years ago. But, I've never used it. I worked for The UN for 20 years, in Africa and Asia, and traveled all over Europe and North America many years, and never took a photo [[other than tourists asking me to take photos of them with their cameras. I think I've pushed a button on a camera [[someone else's) maybe 10 times in my long life. I skied and mountain climbed in Morocco, Turkey, Slovakia, all over Canada, USA, Norway, Sweden, The Alps, highlands of Ethiopia, Lebanon. been to ancient ruins all over Europe, The Mediterranean, North Africa, The Middle and Far East, rainforests in Africa and Southeast Asia, and took not one photo. I have only a handful of photos friends or family have taken. I'm like Al Capone. Photos of me are rare. I have no photo album.
    Photos of me are also rare. That's because since 1973 or so I was almost always the one taking the photos. For a variety of reasons photos I've taken have been and may still be in peoples homes all over the USA. Possible in other countries but I have no knowledge of that.

My childhood was fairly well documented but I personally have hundreds of photos of my nephews and nieces from the time they were babies until now that they're all in their 20s and 30s. I miss real photography. My first camera was a Minolta XG-1 back in 1980. My cousin dropped it one day and broke it, so I bought a Canon AE-1 that I still own. No need to use it though, my two digital cameras can do everything those cameras could do without waiting a day or so for processing. And now, cell phones have cameras that are nearly as good as my digital SLR. What a world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    My childhood was fairly well documented but I personally have hundreds of photos of my nephews and nieces from the time they were babies until now that they're all in their 20s and 30s. I miss real photography. My first camera was a Minolta XG-1 back in 1980. My cousin dropped it one day and broke it, so I bought a Canon AE-1 that I still own. No need to use it though, my two digital cameras can do everything those cameras could do without waiting a day or so for processing. And now, cell phones have cameras that are nearly as good as my digital SLR. What a world we live in.
    My first picture was one taken in the hospital at 2 days old which has led to about 40 100 page photo albums now. LOL!

Ha! My baby picture was taken downtown at about six months and I'm wearing a shirt with "USA Astronaut" on it because we were just starting the space race in early 1963.

Ha! My baby picture was taken downtown at about six months and I'm wearing a shirt with "USA Astronaut" on it because we were just starting the space race in early 1963.
    Jerry, I have one of me from 1962 taken at Kendall's studios wearing a sailor suit and looking like a little butterball turkey! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry, I have one of me from 1962 taken at Kendall's studios wearing a sailor suit and looking like a little butterball turkey! LOL!
Views: 290
    Ha! Ha! I had my OWN sailor suit from age 3 to 4. After that, the only uniforms I ever wore were for my hockey teams, from age 5 through 17.

Views: 290
    Ha! Ha! I had my OWN sailor suit from age 3 to 4. After that, the only uniforms I ever wore were for my hockey teams, from age 5 through 17.
    Robb, you too? LOL! What was with the parents in those days? My old brother was dressed as a cowboy and made to sit on a rocking horse for one of his formal pictures at around age 4 LOL!

Does anyone remember the waxed toilet paper such as Izal that was still common in the UK during the 60s? Touring American artists would often complain about it and could not believe that we used such an uncomfortable product. I don't know if any other country used this.

Robb, you too? LOL! What was with the parents in those days? My old brother was dressed as a cowboy and made to sit on a rocking horse for one of his formal pictures at around age 4 LOL!
Views: 268
    That sailor suit photo of mine was from 1949. So, they were doing that for many years. My cousin, who shared a bedroom with me, had a cowboy suit, and took a picture on a rocking horse. I had a cowboy outfit, too, but never took a studio photo in it.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-07-2016 at 10:11 PM.

That sailor suit photo of mine was from 1949. So, they were doing that for many years. My cousin, who shared a bedroom with me, had a cowboy suit, and took a picture on a rocking horse. I had a cowboy outfit, too, but never took a studio photo in it.

Robb have you guys gotten any snow yet?

Marv, what's with the four letter word?

Marv, what's with the four letter word?
    Oh it is suppose to be awful this year. The Siberian Express is coming through. It has been predicted that this going to be like one of those 70s Winters with major snow and super low temps! Sorry to break it to you buddy.

Remember this..............

Attachment 11768

Yeah, I remember. On the commercial, the foil burst open when it was finished. The first time we bought Jiffy Pop, we thought that was how it was supposed to work and wound up making the whole crib stink of burnt popcorn for days.

Robb have you guys gotten any snow yet?
Views: 256
    If you mean Winnipeg, I don't think so, but don't know. I'm still in The Netherlands. I don't go to Canada until November.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-08-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Yeah, I remember. On the commercial, the foil burst open when it was finished. The first time we bought Jiffy Pop, we thought that was how it was supposed to work and wound up making the whole crib stink of burnt popcorn for days.
    Oh we use to always burn it. LOL!

Views: 256
    If you mean Winnipeg, I don't think so, but don't know. i'm still in The netherlands. I don't go to Canada until November.
    Ok Robb. I saw a report that they had snow already up there ,but I can't remember which Province.

Ok Robb. I saw a report that they had snow already up there ,but I can't remember which Province.
Views: 269
    They may well have had some snow already, but probably not a big storm. And it probably has melted away. If Manitoba got snow, then Alberta and Saskatchewan must have as well. We used to get our first appreciable snow in October. We started laying down our ice in the backyard rink, in October.

Views: 269
    They may well have had some snow already, but probably not a big storm. And it probably has melted away. If Manitoba got snow, then Alberta and Saskatchewan must have as well. We used to get our first appreciable snow in October. We started laying down our ice in the backyard rink, in October.
    There have been years when I was in Ohio where we'd get October snow falls. I notice that they did not get the big floods in Manitoba this year as they had in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    y'all must live up north! I blasted my huge collection in the winter!
    hey soulster,if you tried that up north back in the day your record collection would've frozen over.

hey soulster,if you tried that up north back in the day your record collection would've frozen over.
Views: 244

If I'd have tried that in winter, early spring or fall, even for just a half hour, my parents would have had a fit, and I'd have had to shovel tonnes of coal into the furnace, to get the house's temperature back to livable [[55 degrees F). And my neighbours wouldn't have heard it, anyway, as their windows would have been closed, in any case..

Views: 244

if i'd have tried that in winter, early spring or fall, even for just a half hour, my parents would have had a fit, and i'd have had to shovel tonnes of coal into the furnace, to get the house's temperature back to livable [[55 degrees f). And my neighbours wouldn't have heard it, anyway, as their windows would have been closed, in any case..
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa, robb you are the legend!!!

Remember when we would refer to a hot chick as...a badd mama jamma?

A "badd mama jamma"?!!
    LOL

Hey tomatotom,do you know what the term[phat]refers to?

Hey tomatotom,do you know what the term[phat]refers to?
    "phat" - um, yeah, I think so...
    Why?

Oh just checking,this thread is called[remember when]so you may read some things that aren't familiar.

Oh just checking,this thread is called[remember when]so you may read some things that aren't familiar.
    Oh, ok, and you're right, I probably will, hehe!!

*looks up 'phat' in online urban dictionary*
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-24-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Yeah in the 80s and "a brickhouse" in 70s & 80s

What was the worst Winter you all remember where you live or lived?

All of the winters in the sixties were bad,of course i was a kid in the early sixties so it was fun for me and my pals.

All of the winters in the sixties were bad,of course i was a kid in the early sixties so it was fun for me and my pals.
    Yes those were rough, especially the Winter of 1967,but the 70s were absolutely the worst in Michigan, Ohio and Southern Ontario Canada. I'd have to say that Winter 1977-78 with the Great Blizzard of '78 kicking off that January was the worst. I've lived through blizzards in different years ,but nothing like that one. This was a very familiar sight for about 2 weeks:

Name:  blizzard of 78.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  61.6 KB

Hey that looks like the inside of grady's freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    A "badd mama jamma"?!!
    LOL
    You didn't hear the R&B hit single "She's A Bad Mama Jama" by Carl Carlton that came out in 1981?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    You didn't hear the R&B hit single "She's A Bad Mama Jama" by Carl Carlton that came out in 1981?
    I remember that name, actually, but not "mama jama", hehe!

What was the worst Winter you all remember where you live or lived?
Views: 237
    In Winnipeg in 1949-50, we had a tough winter. It was very cold, with extend periods below 30 degrees below zero, and both early and late heavy snowfalls from October to April. Then in late April and May, we had terrible flooding.

We had lots of winters back then with extended periods of Polar weather, others of lots of heavy snowfalls. Real winter was a normal occurrence back in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. We had more than 60 below zero several times and lots of cold wind, where unprotected skin would freeze. Sometimes we were colder than large parts of Mars! I used to ski to school [[like they do in Norway.

There were a handful of really cold winters I remember in Europe. I think 1989 [[or was it '87?) we had well below zero temperatures in places that it hadn't gotten so cold in a long time, like The islands in Denmark, Coastal Norway, The coast of Holland and Friesland, and they had a three foot snow dumping in Southern England. Also, we had another cold year in the early 1990s.

I also remember a couple really cold winters and other snowy winters in Chicago in the '50s, '60s and '70s.

Hey that looks like the inside of grady's freezer.
    JAI, there were even higher snow drifts, some up to 15 feet in areas. I could not see out of our front door.

Views: 237
    In Winnipeg in 1949-50, we had a tough winter. It was very cold, with extend periods below 30 degrees below zero, and both early and late heavy snowfalls from October to April. Then in late April and May, we had terrible flooding.

We had lots of winters back then with extended periods of Polar weather, others of lots of heavy snowfalls. Real winter was a normal occurrence back in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. We had more than 60 below zero several times and lots of cold wind, where unprotected skin would freeze. Sometimes we were colder than large parts of Mars! I used to ski to school [[like they do in Norway.

There were a handful of really cold winters I remember in Europe. I think 1989 [[or was it '87?) we had well below zero temperatures in places that it hadn't gotten so cold in a long time, like The islands in Denmark, Coastal Norway, The coast of Holland and Friesland, and they had a three foot snow dumping in Southern England. Also, we had another cold year in the early 1990s.

I also remember a couple really cold winters and other snowy winters in Chicago in the '50s, '60s and '70s.
    They still get some pretty good floods in Manitoba. I think the coldest January for us was January 1977 where the temps were like 25-28 below zero for whole weeks at a time. In 1982 we got a pretty good blizzard in Denver with about 23 inches and in January 1996 I measured 34 inches of snow at my house on Long Island.

When I was in the eighth grade, we had a blizzard so bad, they closed the schools for two weeks. Learning from the year before when something similar happened, the school board arranged to have kids go to another school two days a week in the second week instead of staying home. My junior high school went to class at our rivals, Roosevelt Junior High. The second day, we had a fire alarm ring out. We all rushed out, glad for the break in our day. When we got outside and lined up, we were pelted by hundreds of snowballs. The Roosevelt kids had made a bunch and set the trap to perfection.

It was hilarious. I guess it beats what they'd do today, which would probably be to mow us down with AR-15s.

When I was in the eighth grade, we had a blizzard so bad, they closed the schools for two weeks. Learning from the year before when something similar happened, the school board arranged to have kids go to another school two days a week in the second week instead of staying home. My junior high school went to class at our rivals, Roosevelt Junior High. The second day, we had a fire alarm ring out. We all rushed out, glad for the break in our day. When we got outside and lined up, we were pelted by hundreds of snowballs. The Roosevelt kids had made a bunch and set the trap to perfection.

It was hilarious. I guess it beats what they'd do today, which would probably be to mow us down with AR-15s.
    Jerry was that the Blizzard of '78?

jai, there were even higher snow drifts, some up to 15 feet in areas. I could not see out of our front door.
    neither can grady.

How many here used to actually go home for lunch in elementary school?

How many here used to actually go home for lunch in elementary school?
    We did! We walked all the way to school [[3 miles) in the morning, back home for lunch at about 11:30 am and then back to school for the afternoon and then home again around 3:30 pm1 It wasn't until I was in the 8th Grade did they start serving lunch at school.

JAI, there were even higher snow drifts, some up to 15 feet in areas. I could not see out of our front door.
    There many times I had to climb out of an upstairs window with a snow shovel, and make my way to outside the front or back door, and shovel away snow so we could get out, and then shovel snow away from the other doors.
    We kept a couple snow shovels in the tall cabinet in the back porch entry, so we didn't need to clear the garage door area first [[as that was a lot more) shoveling.

Yep, we had a ball because there was always a group of us,laughing and joning[making fun of each other]..as stevie once said-i wish those days could come back again!!

Hey robb,you make a good point about shoveling your neighbors yards, back then folks looked out for one another,and i still shovel my neighbors yard today and they shovel mine.