[REMOVE ADS]

Page 20 of 77 FirstFirst ... 10 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yep. It was rumored to be something like you see in horror movies, but blueskies knows better than I do. And in my city, the citizens in the west side are just as crazy as the ones in those facilities I was talking about. You would feel right at home there...

[[Just kidding, homeboy)
    http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/buildings/columbus/
    Yes, it was horror movie deluxe! We [[as students) were not allowed to go through those underground tunnels by ourselves as patients periodically escaped and would hide in the tunnels. They had a large number of violent patients housed there. It was a very sad place, really. This 'asylum', as they called it back in the day, was a Kirkbride structure. I found them to be particularly creepy as they were so gothic. They were all over the US. Several websites are devoted to the Kirkbride psychiatric hospital architecture.
    http://www.asylumprojects.org/index....State_Hospital
    http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/buildings/
    Last edited by blueskies; 04-04-2016 at 06:19 AM.

I learn so much around here...

Remember when people were easily committed to psychiatric fafacilities? Judges were working on kickbacks from the hospitals like they are today with private prisons to send them patients/inmates. The courts decreed involuntary commitment to the psych facilities to be unconstitutional and put millions out patients on the streets, more than a few of whom still needed care.

HMMMM,THAT'S STRANGE...WHEN THE DOCTORS SAID THAT I COULD LEAVE,THE CITY FATHERS[and most of the mothers]PASSED AROUND A PETITION THAT INSISTED THAT I BE KEPT THERE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE[or until the sun fell out of the sky]WHICHEVER CAME FIRST.

Well, at least they gave you a new suitcase and a one-way bus ticket to anywhere but where you were.

I learn so much around here...

Remember when people were easily committed to psychiatric fafacilities? Judges were working on kickbacks from the hospitals like they are today with private prisons to send them patients/inmates. The courts decreed involuntary commitment to the psych facilities to be unconstitutional and put millions out patients on the streets, more than a few of whom still needed care.
    Another legacy of Ronald Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/buildings/columbus/
    Yes, it was horror movie deluxe! We [[as students) were not allowed to go through those underground tunnels by ourselves as patients periodically escaped and would hide in the tunnels. They had a large number of violent patients housed there. It was a very sad place, really. This 'asylum', as they called it back in the day, was a Kirkbride structure. I found them to be particularly creepy as they were so gothic. They were all over the US. Several websites are devoted to the Kirkbride psychiatric hospital architecture.
    http://www.asylumprojects.org/index....State_Hospital
    http://www.kirkbridebuildings.com/buildings/
    Oh it was awful. Some of the families tried to take the in. There are two very large abandoned psychiatric hospital campuses on Long Island. Google Pilgrim State Hospital to get an idea of the magnitude of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh it was awful. Some of the families tried to take the in. There are two very large abandoned psychiatric hospital campuses on Long Island. Google Pilgrim State Hospital to get an idea of the magnitude of the place.
    http://opacity.us/site23_pilgrim_state_hospital.htm
    Yes, this hospital was huge. Warehousing at it's finest. These were sad places and so many sad stories.

http://www.suitcaseexhibit.org/index...tion=suitcases

I read the book and saw the traveling exhibit. Heartbreaking.

http://opacity.us/site23_pilgrim_state_hospital.htm
    Yes, this hospital was huge. Warehousing at it's finest. These were sad places and so many sad stories.
    They also buried many patients onsite there over the years. Driving through the property is like driving through a 1960s Horror film.

And the US penal system is still doing that today. How else to account for the fact that we have 5% of the world's population, but have 25% of the world's prisoners? Prisons employ a lot of people just like policing does. The fictional "war on drugs" is really just a job stimulus they keeps a huge segment of the population working with zero possibility of ending the problem it purports to address. If it worked, why are so many still doing drugs?

America needs to wake up.

I'm very saddened at the state of homelessness,golf courses get built in a year,but when the matter of where to house the homeless the government closes it's ears.

That's because the homeless don't vote or pay taxes. It's a poor excuse, but the folks downtown know what side their bread is buttered on. I watched a documentary on PBS last night about how South Carolina is dealing with an HIV crisis. Governor Nikki Haley refused to accept available funds from the Affordable Care Act for political reasons. SMH. I wonder if Jesus would have done that?

If a homeless person still has a valid ID, like a driver's license, they can vote.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm very saddened at the state of homelessness,golf courses get built in a year,but when the matter of where to house the homeless the government closes it's ears.
    This is true. It is one of the problem with the mentality of many in this country.

That's because the homeless don't vote or pay taxes. It's a poor excuse, but the folks downtown know what side their bread is buttered on. I watched a documentary on PBS last night about how South Carolina is dealing with an HIV crisis. Governor Nikki Haley refused to accept available funds from the Affordable Care Act for political reasons. SMH. I wonder if Jesus would have done that?
    Bobby Jindal of Louisiana did something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    If a homeless person still has a valid ID, like a driver's license, they can vote.
    And without a permanent residence, they will have a hard time getting the required identification thanks to the exclusionary laws that are being passed by so many states. They also need a permanent residence to register. And even if they managed to get it, they probably wouldn't vote anyway. Only 39% of registered voters bothered to go to the polls in 2014, making the quagmire in DC even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Bobby Jindal of Louisiana did something similar.
    And he also cut taxes to the point that people in Louisiana are being held in jail for weeks, even with minor charges, since the state can't afford to pay public defenders. Why the hell it's this not being discussed on the national news? The same people causing the problem aren't being made to answer for them even as they want to bring that mess to the federal level.

And he also cut taxes to the point that people in Louisiana are being held in jail for weeks, even with minor charges, since the state can't afford to pay public defenders. Why the hell it's this not being discussed on the national news? The same people causing the problem aren't being made to answer for them even as they want to bring that mess to the federal level.

Ironically, Jindal spent an enormous amount of time criticizing and slamming President Obama.

Remember when every car had a full sized spare?

Remember when the guy at the gas station put the nozzle in your tank, set it to fill automatically, and then started to clean your windows? Some even checked your oil for you with that filthy rag that used to hang from their back pockets. When my Pops gave them his money, they had that little change dispenser on their belts. Those dudes were smoking a cigarette with an inch of ash hanging from it the whole time they were dealing with gas and oil.

Oh yeah, I remember them days! I also remember in the late 70s when we had to start filling our own gas. I hated having to pull down the license plate just to get the gas cap off. But my mom always paid with her credit or gas card.

Oh yeah, I remember them days! I also remember in the late 70s when we had to start filling our own gas. I hated having to pull down the license plate just to get the gas cap off. But my mom always paid with her credit or gas card.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember when gasoline was 17¢ a gallon [[US) during gas wars.

Remember these for charge cards!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 380
    I remember when gasoline was 17¢ a gallon [[US) during gas wars.
    You sure about that? It was 78 cents a gallon here in 1978.

Remember these for charge cards!
    Sure do and you didn't worry about identity theft!

I remember when gas would dip that low in the early '70s. There would be cars lined up all the way down the street. I never understood the economic circumstances that led to gas wars but I clearly remember seeing them when they occurred.

Oh, and then OPEC figured out they held all the good cards in the game and played them. They brought President Carter down, even though he had no way to influence them as they gouged the world.

Hey Jerry, Do you remember Emil's out on the east side? What I remember are those pickles they'd put on the table.

I don't remember them. I remember the Top in Bexley, though. It's still open.

I don't remember them. I remember the Top in Bexley, though. It's still open.
    Sure do remember The Top. I bet you remember the Jai Lai!

Then there was Yong Mea's on E. Broad St. The first Chinese restaurant I was ever in. I think it closed in the 90's.

and I think I mentioned this one before, The Blue Danube [[or, the Blue Dube, as it is affectionately known to OSU students). I remember many a late night/early morning at the Blue Dube.....pretty hazy, though! LOL!
    Last edited by blueskies; 04-11-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Remember when you could get change on the bus, and those bus tokens?

Yeah, I remember Jong Mea. It was on Broad Street, right down the street from my church. And the Jai Lai was popular for years. I wonder if you remember any of the local fast food joints like Sandy's, Burger Boy, or BBF? Columbus is the home for lots of those businesses, with White Castle, Wendy's, and the now closed Sister's Chicken and Biscuits getting their start here.

Remember when you could get change on the bus, and those bus tokens?
    How about a transfer slip that could get you all around the city for a quarter? Did the bus drivers call the names of the streets where you lived? And he'd drive so fast that if you didn't pull the bell cord in perfect time, he wouldn't stop until you were three streets past your destination. LOL. I'm sure they did that on purpose.

Yeah, I remember Jong Mea. It was on Broad Street, right down the street from my church. And the Jai Lai was popular for years. I wonder if you remember any of the local fast food joints like Sandy's, Burger Boy, or BBF? Columbus is the home for lots of those businesses, with White Castle, Wendy's, and the now closed Sister's Chicken and Biscuits getting their start here.
    I do remember the fast food restaurants. I remember the original Wendy's in downtown Columbus. I think there was a White Castle on S. High St. we'd go to after the bars closed and also Sister's Chicken! I have lots of memories of Jerry's on N. High St. I also remember the Isle of Capri Pizza on Parson's Ave. I'm dating myself with that one!

I know which Castle you're talking about in South High. It's still there on Thurman and High. It was across the street from a Big Bear grocery store, about two blocks outside of German Village.

Big Bear is gone, like Cub and all of the IGA, A&P, and Super Duper grocery stores.

Views: 373
    That was 25-30 YEARS AFTER the times I am describing [[the early 1950s).

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    how about a transfer slip that could get you all around the city for a quarter? Did the bus drivers call the names of the streets where you lived? And he'd drive so fast that if you didn't pull the bell cord in perfect time, he wouldn't stop until you were three streets past your destination. Lol. I'm sure they did that on purpose.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...yep they sure would go past your stop and pretend they didn't hear the bell,i got alot of free rides off those old transfers,hehehe!!!

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...yep they sure would go past your stop and pretend they didn't hear the bell,i got alot of free rides off those old transfers,hehehe!!!
    Dang, transfer slips. I think the last time I saw or use one was in the very early 80s in college LOL

Here's the place I remember having the best hamburgers [[at least in the 1960s!) KewPees!" Hamburg- pickle on top- makes your heart go Flippity-flop!" LOL!

Attachment 11257
    Last edited by marv2; 04-15-2016 at 04:30 PM.

That reminds me of the old White Tower restaurants that we patronized on our trips to Norfolk, Virginia in the 60s and 70s. I used to wonder why the burgers were not little squares that were slathered in onions...

And then I was confused when I moved to Memphis and went to Krystal, who DID sell little square burgers that were slathered in onions [[although not as good as White Castle; st least they didn't present the GI issues of the Castle).

That reminds me of the old White Tower restaurants that we patronized on our trips to Norfolk, Virginia in the 60s and 70s. I used to wonder why the burgers were not little squares that were slathered in onions...

Yeah Jerry we had those too in Downtown Toledo. There are still one or two operating in the city.

Remember when Presidential Candidates had class?

I remember when the media fact checked candidates. The lies and hyperbole coming from the candidates [[especially Trump and Cruz) is over the top. Nobody asks Trump why he said American workers are paid too much yet he campaigns on bringing "lots and lots of jobs" into an economy with 5.8% unemployment. Nobody asks Ted Cruz why he supports notoriously racist and anti-federal government cattle rancher Cliven Bundy. The media wants a close race, so they refuse to do their job if it affects the chances of one. It's crazy that one of these madmen may soon lead the strongest military in the world.

They don't fact check because they will offend their viewers. Viewers don't want facts, they want to feel good. They want the politicians to affirm their biases.

Yep. Anybody who listened to Trump read his speech about foreign policy and was not scared to death is just as bad as he is. He and his supporters don't seem to care that putting the button under the finger of a mental child doesn't only threaten the country, it literally threatens the world.

Yep. Anybody who listened to Trump read his speech about foreign policy and was not scared to death is just as bad as he is. He and his supporters don't seem to care that putting the button under the finger of a mental child doesn't only threaten the country, it literally threatens the world.
    I guess they think somehow that we will be protected under a dome and will not suffer any radiation poisoning. They also don't realize that any bomb will automatically trigger another bomb from the other countries. We will all be annihilated. This ain't 1945 where you can drop two small H-bombs by a plane and be done with it. Oh...wait...they'll start denying the science about that, too.

And now Cruz has picked Carly Fiorina [[or whatever that ugly broads name is) as his VP choice? Dear God....she's crazier than Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin put together! Batshitcrazy!
    Last edited by blueskies; 04-28-2016 at 10:26 AM.

LOL. I'm old enough to remember the 1968 elections. My parents took me to see Bobby Kennedy in a parade on Main Street but we didn't get close enough to see him pass by. Back then, you had respect for the president because you respected the presidency. These days? It's all politics; America and the world be damned. People are losing their right to vote and very few are outraged. Maybe it doesn't matter anyway when barely 40% show up on election anyway.

And now Cruz has picked Carly Fiorina [[or whatever that ugly broads name is) as his VP choice? Dear God....she's crazier than Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin put together! Batshitcrazy!
    hah! No one is crazier than Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann, but she if right up there with them! They fired her from HP because she ran the company into the ground.

hah! No one is crazier than Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann, but she if right up there with them! They fired her from HP because she ran the company into the ground.
Views: 330
    Michael Palin should change his name just so he wouldn't be associated in any way with Sarah!