[REMOVE ADS]

Page 19 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, we had a similar strategy in Canada before late 1952, as well as evacuation plans to get to public fallout shelters, and to avoid the firestorms, based on WWII's fire bombing of German cities. But, in late 1952, after The Americans exploded the first Hydrogen Bomb, Canada realised that there ws no point in ducking under a table if all the buildings in your city will be flattened instantly in an explosion that would evaporate people instantly. Starting in 1953, plans involved more preemptory evacuation to public fallout shelters, and more to do with attempted survival after the explosions. And, a lot of rich Toronto suburbanites built fallout shelters under their houses. But, there wasn't much of that in Manitoba.

Views: 480
    Looks like I'M the "kiss of death" on these threads! Every time I post, there;s no action for several days. I guess I'll have to stop being so dull.

Anyone of y'all had your parents build a bomb shelter under your house during the '50s or '60s?

Dull???????!!!!...hey robb you're the guru here,don't ever stop giving this great history..more,more...robb forever!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 511
    Yes, we had a similar strategy in Canada before late 1952, as well as evacuation plans to get to public fallout shelters, and to avoid the firestorms, based on WWII's fire bombing of German cities. But, in late 1952, after The Americans exploded the first Hydrogen Bomb, Canada realised that there ws no point in ducking under a table if all the buildings in your city will be flattened instantly in an explosion that would evaporate people instantly. Starting in 1953, plans involved more preemptory evacuation to public fallout shelters, and more to do with attempted survival after the explosions. And, a lot of rich Toronto suburbanites built fallout shelters under their houses. But, there wasn't much of that in Manitoba.

Yep Robb that is what was happening in Ohio schools in early 1960s. A little later on we were trained in Tornado drills.

Views: 480
    Looks like I'M the "kiss of death" on these threads! Every time I post, there;s no action for several days. I guess I'll have to stop being so dull.

Anyone of y'all had your parents build a bomb shelter under your house during the '50s or '60s?
    What are you talking about dull? This is interesting!

I love robb_k's posts because I learn more fun him than anybody else on line. And Marv, I don't remember the tornado drills until after Xenia had five of them in one day and was almost wiped off the map. We had them every year after that.

I remember being a high school sophomore one day when tornadoes touched down. The principle called us all together to dismiss us two hours early. By the way, I was too young to drive and I lived two miles away from school.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I love robb_k's posts because I learn more fun him than anybody else on line. And Marv, I don't remember the tornado drills until after Xenia had five of them in one day and was almost wiped off the map. We had them every year after that.

I remember being a high school sophomore one day when tornadoes touched down. The principle called us all together to dismiss us two hours early. By the way, I was too young to drive and I lived two miles away from school.
Views: 478
    You had to walk home 2 miles with funnel clouds headed your way??? I would have guessed that the school buildings would have been safer than a house. Did your house have a deep basement?

We had a nice, safe basement when I lived in Homewood, Illinois. But it didn;t matter. The Chicago area was so big and created such a heat dome, that tornados couldn't penetrate it. Pretty much the same in Winnipeg, But, they don't get many true tornados that far north, anyway.

Did you live in a small town or rural area, where the tornado danger is much higher than in big cities?

I lived [[still do, actually) in Columbus, which had about half a million people then [[1977). The school had a basement. The decision to send us home was a total cluster **** decision. My sister got word of it and she drove her car to find me about halfway on the way. I was scared to death until I saw her.

I lived [[still do, actually) in Columbus, which had about half a million people then [[1977). The school had a basement. The decision to send us home was a total cluster **** decision. My sister got word of it and she drove her car to find me about halfway on the way. I was scared to death until I saw her.
Views: 487
    Those school people should have spent some time in County jail for making that asinine decision. The only way you send the kids home with tornadoes on the way, is if the school doesn't have a safe basement and all the kids houses do. And then, the school administrators should go to jail for having no safety system to protect kids during a tornado. The schools are legally responsible for the safety of the children who attend their schools.

The USA is one weird place. It's the richest country in The World. But they don't even try to make sure their kids are safe. I can't imagine such a scenario in Canada or Western Europe [[not tornados - but something else dangerous).

It's obvious when you see they don't care about providing adequate health care for all their population, or healthy food for their people, or a relatively healthy environment for their people.
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-26-2016 at 12:50 AM.

Those school people should have spent some time in County jail for making that asinine decision. The only way you send the kids home with tornados on the way, is if the school doesn't have a safe basement and all the kids houses do. And then, the school administrators should go to jail for having no safety system to protect kids during a tornado. The schools are legally responsible for the safety of the children who attend their schools.

The USA is one weird place. It's the richest country in The World. But they don't even try to make sure their kids are safe. I can't imagine such a scenario in Canada or Western Europe [[not tornados - but something else dangerous).

It's obvious when you see they don't care about providing adequate health care for all their population, or healthy food for their people, or a relatively healthy environment for their people.
    Robb, exactly! We spent nearly 6 hours in our schools basement due to tornadoes that killed 44 people in 1965.

If you want to freak out, spend a day working on the 23rd floor of an office building when the tornado siren sounds. You either wait it out or battle hundreds of people on the stairway, neither of which is a comforting option. That happened to me in 1986.

If you want to freak out, spend a day working on the 23rd floor of an office building when the tornado siren sounds. You either wait it out or battle hundreds of people on the stairway, neither of which is a comforting option. That happened to me in 1986.
    I know what you mean. I was working in the University's library in 1981 when one of 7 tornadoes that struck Denver that day blew in a glass wall at the library......!

People react to tornadoes in funny ways. I sit and wait to see what happens since there's nothing that I can do. I'm always ready to get to shelter in the basement if one is reported to be nearby. But I don't automatically head downstairs when I hear the sirens because they very rarely touch down inside the city [[although a farm that is located five miles from my home blew away about six years ago).

When I worked in a warehouse near Memphis, we had a shelter-in-place when five tornadoes touched down in a nearby town. One of my employees insisted on leaving and going into the heart of the storm to be with her family. Stopping her would technically have been kidnapping, so we had to let her go. Another one freaked out to the point that she became uncommunicative and began to shake as if she'd seen the devil. I'll never forget that day.

Those school people should have spent some time in County jail for making that asinine decision. The only way you send the kids home with tornadoes on the way, is if the school doesn't have a safe basement and all the kids houses do. And then, the school administrators should go to jail for having no safety system to protect kids during a tornado. The schools are legally responsible for the safety of the children who attend their schools.

One word: republicans.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Consider that less than 30% of the population identifies with being Republican, yet they swept the congressional races in 2014 when fewer than 40% of eligible voters chose to go to the polls. Yeah, they are a bunch of greedy, lying, moralistic sell outs, but who put them in office by commission or omission? Good ol' America.

On one hand, the people that they hurt either voted for them out chose not to vote against them so they deserve their bullshit. But on the other hand, I don't. How is it not known that every Republican president has has negative effects on the economy yet they keep getting elected by saying that the Democrats [[whose policies consistently have resulted in higher job growth) are the ones who kill the economy?

I suppose it's not important enough for most of those supposedly pissed off voters to find out on their own. The fact that Trump and Cruz are taken seriously tells you that our version of the democratic process has failed. And really, whose fault is that?

Remember when the election process worked? Those days are gone forever.

Ohhhh...tornadoes,hehe i was wondering why folks would hide from...tomatoes-opps,gotta fix these keys.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Consider that less than 30% of the population identifies with being Republican, yet they swept the congressional races in 2014 when fewer than 40% of eligible voters chose to go to the polls. Yeah, they are a bunch of greedy, lying, moralistic sell outs, but who put them in office by commission or omission? Good ol' America.

On one hand, the people that they hurt either voted for them out chose not to vote against them so they deserve their bullshit. But on the other hand, I don't. How is it not known that every Republican president has has negative effects on the economy yet they keep getting elected by saying that the Democrats [[whose policies consistently have resulted in higher job growth) are the ones who kill the economy?

I suppose it's not important enough for most of those supposedly pissed off voters to find out on their own. The fact that Trump and Cruz are taken seriously tells you that our version of the democratic process has failed. And really, whose fault is that?

Remember when the election process worked? Those days are gone forever.
    When I say "republicans", I mean at the state and local level where they usually do much better at winning seats. That way they can do their dirty work at lower levels, and, hopefully under the cloak of secrecy, while most Americans pay more attention to the President.

Yep. And meanwhile, they pass laws that deprive people of the right to vote while also legislating the right to discriminate and removing funds from Planned Parenthood. They have gone off the rails.

In Indiana, they are passing laws to restrict abortions for children diagnosed with severe birth defects after they already removed financial help for parents of kids with those same medical issues.

Texas passed one of the toughest abortion laws on the books and their birth rate has jumped significantly, even at a time that they're making it difficult for single moms to get general relief. Even still, they are going to have to provide extra money for their welfare programs to handle the jump in births.

Ohio defunded Planned Parenthood at a time when it has a child mortality rate that is comparable to those in third world nations. Forget the fact that PP is one of the state's largest providers of women's health and education and also prevent way more births than they terminate.

It's like they all got bit with the "Ziki fly" that Maine's brain dead governor recently referenced with a straight face to his constituents at a town hall meeting.

And, the reason Ohio was able to de-fund Planned Parenthood is because he did it when the media wasn't looking. Oh, it got some mention, but everyone is too focused on the Trump show to care.

They did it after the state's attorney general released a statement suggesting that Planned Parenthood was using a company to dispose of the medical waste in a manner that he considered to be unsanitary and inhumane. When a local TGLV station asked him why the state of Ohio also used the same company for medical waste, his response was essentially "we do? Well, that's different" without explaining why it was.

I honestly remember people suggesting that public service was a noble calling. Do you remember being able to look at politicians and cops with some semblance of admiration? Now, all I see when I watch a politician is a liar and all I see when I watch a cop is somebody who would lie to cover for a colleague if the other cop killed somebody, either intentionally or by mistake. That's just sad.

They did it after the state's attorney general released a statement suggesting that Planned Parenthood was using a company to dispose of the medical waste in a manner that he considered to be unsanitary and inhumane. When a local TGLV station asked him why the state of Ohio also used the same company for medical waste, his response was essentially "we do? Well, that's different" without explaining why it was.

I honestly remember people suggesting that public service was a noble calling. Do you remember being able to look at politicians and cops with some semblance of admiration? Now, all I see when I watch a politician is a liar and all I see when I watch a cop is somebody who would lie to cover for a colleague if the other cop killed somebody, either intentionally or by mistake. That's just sad.
    Jerry, that was a very long time ago when we use to say "Hello Mr. Officer"............

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Jerry, that was a very long time ago when we use to say "Hello Mr. Officer"............
    Yep. And before he'd beat your ass for speaking to him. I read today where one of your NYPD members was cleared after he followed a young man into his house, broke into the bathroom where he was presumably "taking care of business", and shot the kid when he allegedly "reached for his waist band". Of course the kid was unarmed. Four years and two thorough investigations later, the Justice Department couldn't prove that the pig wasn't scared for his life [[screw the fact that he BROKE INTO HIS HOME) and will not be filing charges.

Do you remember when "pissing while Black" was not something that the cops are permitted to kill you for?

Does anybody have the cherished experience of cashing your check on payday, running to the record store, browsing for an hour, and coming home with five to eight new albums? Sometimes, you'd be surprised that a new extended single dropped by one of your favorite bands and you got to play it for your friends before it hit the radio. I remember the plastic, the smell of the records, and eagerly going over the liner notes [[when they were provided) as the albums spun on my turntable. I'd make mental notes of which ones I'd like and the second time that I played them, I'd break out my watch and jot down the BPMs beside the titles on the jackets. I miss that experience as much as anything from the late '70s and '80s. By the time cassettes and CDs took over for vinyl, the fun of buying music was gone.

Does anybody have the cherished experience of cashing your check on payday, running to the record store, browsing for an hour, and coming home with five to eight new albums? Sometimes, you'd be surprised that a new extended single dropped by one of your favorite bands and you got to play it for your friends before it hit the radio. I remember the plastic, the smell of the records, and eagerly going over the liner notes [[when they were provided) as the albums spun on my turntable. I'd make mental notes of which ones I'd like and the second time that I played them, I'd break out my watch and jot down the BPMs beside the titles on the jackets. I miss that experience as much as anything from the late '70s and '80s. By the time cassettes and CDs took over for vinyl, the fun of buying music was gone.
Views: 447
    I never bought new albums in quantity. I might buy one or two that I really wanted at the same time. I did by new 45s in quantity [[mostly at discounted prices at distributors or record shops that I helped carry in record boxes or did favours for [[often I got the 45s for free for helping), I did enjoy the smell of the new records [[especially at the distributor). I got a LOT of Motown records before they hit the radio. So. my friends got a chance to hear most of them before they hit the radio. And, because I bounced between Chicago, L.A., San Francisco and Winnipeg, I got a chance to hear songs that had been played in one city or another, before in the other ones.

I even requested songs be played by radio stations on request lines, when the song had not been released in the other city. I remember requesting that Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of The Brokenhearted" be played on Chicago's WVON, after having had heard it in L.A., and the DJ told me "It hadn't been released yet in Chicagoland". I was shocked, as I thought Chicago got all Motown product first, after local, Detroit release.

It didn't dawn on me until the '90s that a lot of what you heard on the radio back then was regional. Songs could be huge in Memphis [[where I briefly lived) but never be heard in Miami. In the 1980s, I frequented a record store on the Ohio State University campus that resold records from all over the country. I guess kids at a 50,000 student campus needed spare cash, so they hocked music first. I could find gems [[and frequently, massive duds) in their bins that I never would have heard from listening to the radio. The problem with that is most of those songs are unavailable digitally, so I have to connect my turntable with my computer if I want a sound file. But, that actually is something that's fun to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    does anybody have the cherished experience of cashing your check on payday, running to the record store, browsing for an hour, and coming home with five to eight new albums? Sometimes, you'd be surprised that a new extended single dropped by one of your favorite bands and you got to play it for your friends before it hit the radio. I remember the plastic, the smell of the records, and eagerly going over the liner notes [[when they were provided) as the albums spun on my turntable. I'd make mental notes of which ones i'd like and the second time that i played them, i'd break out my watch and jot down the bpms beside the titles on the jackets. I miss that experience as much as anything from the late '70s and '80s. By the time cassettes and cds took over for vinyl, the fun of buying music was gone.
    haaaaaaaaaa...hey jerry,those were the days,heck i would get paid on a friday and spend most of saturday in the record store this store carried nothing but lp's wall to wall and i was in soul heaven...[i almost cried when they closed down].

Yep Robb that is what was happening in Ohio schools in early 1960s. A little later on we were trained in Tornado drills.
    How so very different the World is today:

What It's Like Inside a School Shooting Drill

Who remembers the deluxe playmobile?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Who remembers the deluxe playmobile?
    JAI I had to look it up, but YEP, I remember the deluxe playmobile. I even had one. It looked like the dashboard to my Dad's Ford Fairlane LOL!

Attachment 11216

It didn't dawn on me until the '90s that a lot of what you heard on the radio back then was regional. Songs could be huge in Memphis [[where I briefly lived) but never be heard in Miami. In the 1980s, I frequented a record store on the Ohio State University campus that resold records from all over the country. I guess kids at a 50,000 student campus needed spare cash, so they hocked music first. I could find gems [[and frequently, massive duds) in their bins that I never would have heard from listening to the radio. The problem with that is most of those songs are unavailable digitally, so I have to connect my turntable with my computer if I want a sound file. But, that actually is something that's fun to do.
    As a kid, I used to go to Magnolia Thunderpussy to buy my records in Columbus. Yep, that's the real name! I think it may still be there. I could stay in there all day looking at all the goodies [[records....LOL).

I shopped across High Street at Singin' Dog Records and also a Mole's Record Shop. I went to Magnolia Thunderpussy a couple of times but like you, I could spend most of a night at the other two. I bought my new records around the corner from my home at Record and Tape Outlet, where the first album that I purchased [[Gloryhallastoopid by Parliament) cost me $3.49 still wrapped.

I shopped across High Street at Singin' Dog Records and also a Mole's Record Shop. I went to Magnolia Thunderpussy a couple of times but like you, I could spend most of a night at the other two. I bought my new records around the corner from my home at Record and Tape Outlet, where the first album that I purchased [[Gloryhallastoopid by Parliament) cost me $3.49 still wrapped.
    Small world, Jerry! I remember buying Jean Terrell's record further up the street at a record store [[on the right hand side going north, right across from the entrance to OSU). I think it up upstairs? Can't remember the name of it, which I'm sure is long gone. I remember these Hare Krishna's standing out front chanting and taking donations! Boy, am I dating myself! The good old days in Columbus! I certainly remember Mole's and Singin' Dog Records, too.

Hey Jerry,
    Do you remember the Kahiki, Reeb's on Livingston Ave., the Wine Cellar on 161 and Tommy's Pizza on Lane. My parents took me to the Kahiki when I was a kid and was quite dazzled. I think there was even a Playboy Club in Columbus at one time? All gone now except Tommy's. A rush of memories come back! I even remember The Clock restaurant downtown!

The Xenia ones happened when I was in the 8th Grade. Yep almost destroyed the entire city. The big ones I lived through were the Palm Sunday Tornado 1965[[they have the old news coverage up on Youtube) and the 4th of July Tornado 1969. That one destroyed our backyard.

jai i had to look it up, but yep, i remember the deluxe playmobile. I even had one. It looked like the dashboard to my dad's ford fairlane lol!

Attachment 11216
    that's it,that's it i haven't seen one since i had mine a looooong time ago,my favorite toy of all time...marv will you adopt me and let me live in your amazing attic????-hehehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Hey Jerry,
    Do you remember the Kahiki, Reeb's on Livingston Ave., the Wine Cellar on 161 and Tommy's Pizza on Lane. My parents took me to the Kahiki when I was a kid and was quite dazzled. I think there was even a Playboy Club in Columbus at one time? All gone now except Tommy's. A rush of memories come back! I even remember The Clock restaurant downtown!
    I remember all of them. The Kahiki was the scene of one of the most notorious police harassment cases in city history some time around 1975. Its owner is rumored to be the creator of General Tso's chicken recipe. The Playboy Club became a.McDonald's right across the street from the Kahiki. Reeb's finally came down about five years ago [[that was three blocks away from my childhood home).

I forgot about the Clock restaurant until your post! And I didn't know that the Wine Cellar closed. Finally, Tommy's it's a landmark. The original one is on Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington just west of OSU campus and they built a new one for the students on Lane Avenue near High Street. They are printing money with those locations.

I remember all of them. The Kahiki was the scene of one of the most notorious police harassment cases in city history some time around 1975. Its owner is rumored to be the creator of General Tso's chicken recipe. The Playboy Club became a.McDonald's right across the street from the Kahiki. Reeb's finally came down about five years ago [[that was three blocks away from my childhood home).

I forgot about the Clock restaurant until your post! And I didn't know that the Wine Cellar closed. Finally, Tommy's it's a landmark. The original one is on Lane Avenue in Upper Arlington just west of OSU campus and they built a new one for the students on Lane Avenue near High Street. They are printing money with those locations.
    I loved Reeb's. I went there a lot in those 'college years' as I lived in the German Village area [[Berger Alley). Also went to Planks. I have some recollection of the incident at the Kahiki. I love Tommy's on Lane....been going there forever....then, run across the street to Half Price Books! I heard the Wine Cellar closed because some mess with 'not paying taxes' or the like. And, I can't leave without mentioned the old standby on campus....the Blue Danube. The greasy spoon of all greasy spoons....but, it had a charm all it's own....esp. at 3 in the morning! LOL!
    Oh....remember 'Peaches' records and the Buzzards Nest?

I remember both stores. I shopped more at RTO because it was half a mile from where I worked. Besides, Peaches and Buzzard's Nest were mainly in malls and both charged about a dollar more for their records to cover their rent. And if you lived in German Village, you no doubt visited Schmidt's Sausage Haus, who used to sell the best bratwurst in town. And Planks wound up smack in the middle of the Brewery District, which is absolutely jumping seven nights per week. I'll bet their business has doubled.

I remember both stores. I shopped more at RTO because it was half a mile from where I worked. Besides, Peaches and Buzzard's Nest were mainly in malls and both charged about a dollar more for their records to cover their rent. And if you lived in German Village, you no doubt visited Schmidt's Sausage Haus, who used to sell the best bratwurst in town. And Planks wound up smack in the middle of the Brewery District, which is absolutely jumping seven nights per week. I'll bet their business has doubled.
    Do I know Schmidt's! My love affair with those cream puffs continue to this day!

For some reason, that reminded me of all the food we used to eat at the state fair. They used to sell brats with tons of sauteed onions, elephant ears, cotton candy, sno-cones, sugared waffles, and just about any other diabetics' dream. My brother and I would catch the COTA bus to my cousin's house early in the morning and we walked about a mile from there to the fair. We'd start from 10:00 am until they closed at 10:00 PM. This is when we were still in elementary school [[kids can't have that much freedom these days). Those were the closest things to perfect summer days that I can recall.

For some reason, that reminded me of all the food we used to eat at the state fair. They used to sell brats with tons of sauteed onions, elephant ears, cotton candy, sno-cones, sugared waffles, and just about any other diabetics' dream. My brother and I would catch the COTA bus to my cousin's house early in the morning and we walked about a mile from there to the fair. We'd start from 10:00 am until they closed at 10:00 PM. This is when we were still in elementary school [[kids can't have that much freedom these days). Those were the closest things to perfect summer days that I can recall.
    Oh yes, the State Fair. Fond memories for me, too. Diana Ross and The Supremes performed there in the late 60's. I didn't see it, though.
    This should bring some memories back for you....it did, me.
    http://columbusrestauranthistory.com..._continent.htm

I remember when the Continent opened. I think it is still open although I don't believe it has any newer shops. The last time I went to it was 20 years ago, at which time its movie theater has become a dollar house after being one of the nicer two-screen cinemas in town. Now, no theaters in Columbus have fewer than 14 screens.

My mother took me to see "Star Wars" at the Cinema East on East Broad Street. Its screen was so large, it would blow people's minds in today's world. I went to movie houses all over the city by remember trips to the drive-in the most.

I remember when the Continent opened. I think it is still open although I don't believe it has any newer shops. The last time I went to it was 20 years ago, at which time its movie theater has become a dollar house after being one of the nicer two-screen cinemas in town. Now, no theaters in Columbus have fewer than 14 screens.

My mother took me to see "Star Wars" at the Cinema East on East Broad Street. Its screen was so large, it would blow people's minds in today's world. I went to movie houses all over the city by remember trips to the drive-in the most.
    I do remember Cinema East. I think I saw "Funny Girl" there! Yes, huge screen. Do you remember 'One Nation Restaurant"? The elevator went on the outside of the building and you got some fantastic views! I remember going to Studio 35 a lot in Clintonville when I was in college as well as the Drexel in Bexley. I also thought Engine House restaurant on Thurman where the waiters came down the pole was pretty cool! I still miss Lazarus!
    Dispatch File PhotoOne Nation afforded patrons a view of the Downtown from the top of One Nationwide Plaza. The restaurant opened when the building was dedicated in 1978 and closed in 1997.

Yeah, I remember One Nation, which was on the top floor of the Nationwide Building. I'll be surprised to find out it's not still open. And Studio 35 is still the only cinema in Columbus that runs first run double features [[well, but including the South Twin Drive In). Do you remember Lazarus' air curtain that blew heat on you in the winter?

There are so many good restaurants here. Most of the newest and best are in the Short North.

Yeah, I remember One Nation, which was on the top floor of the Nationwide Building. I'll be surprised to find out it's not still open. And Studio 35 is still the only cinema in Columbus that runs first run double features [[well, but including the South Twin Drive In). Do you remember Lazarus' air curtain that blew heat on you in the winter?

There are so many good restaurants here. Most of the newest and best are in the Short North.
    I had long forgotten about that heated air curtain at Lazarus! That takes me back many years!
    Love the Short North. My favorite Greek restaurant, "The Happy Greek," is there.
    http://www.happygreek.com/
    The Gallery hop is fun, too. The Short North and the Brewery District seem to be booming these days. Remember The Claremont on S. High St.? I think that's long gone. I think there used to be a hospital south of German Village. I can't remember the name of it anymore?
    Remember St. Anthony's Hosp. off E. Broad St.? My first job out of college was there.

That hospital was Mercy Hospital. And Saint Anthony is now an Ohio State Hospitals subsidiary. Do you remember Saint Ann's? They were on Bryden Road and were primarily a maternity hospital. A whole lot of babies were born there. They moved to Westerville about 20 years ago.

And yeah, the Claremont is gone with the renewal of the Brewery District. The other trendy area is the Arena District, which is situated around Nationwide Arena and Huntington Ballpark downtown. Columbus has really grown.

Yes.....Mercy Hospital! I'd forgotten. I think it was changed to Columbus Community Hospital by the 70's? Yes, I remember St. Anne's. I think it's a Mt. Carmel Hospital now in Westerville as you said, off Schrock Rd. Do you remember the old Columbus State Hospital on W. Broad St. I did a couple weeks of my psych rotation there and it was right out of a horror movie with all those old tunnels connecting buildings. Also fond memories of the Veteran's Memorial on W. Broad. I think it's gone now. They used to have some pretty good concerts there back in the day. I saw The Supremes at the Ohio Theater when Jean became lead singer and Faith, Hope and Charity was the opening act .....a memory I'll never forget.....so many wonderful memories of Columbus and yes, it's grown tremendously. I read in one of my Mt. Carmel alumni newsletters that they plan on closing Mt. Carmel West and building a new Mt. Carmel in Grove City. The old Mt. Carmel will be expanded into the College of Nursing and the rest, outpatient offices. You live in a wonderful city, Jerry. I miss it.

Wow,that was a hospital? The place they used to take us looked like that windmill lab that dr.frankenstein used...and that was on the good side of town.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Yes.....Mercy Hospital! I'd forgotten. I think it was changed to Columbus Community Hospital by the 70's? Yes, I remember St. Anne's. I think it's a Mt. Carmel Hospital now in Westerville as you said, off Schrock Rd. Do you remember the old Columbus State Hospital on W. Broad St. I did a couple weeks of my psych rotation there and it was right out of a horror movie with all those old tunnels connecting buildings. Also fond memories of the Veteran's Memorial on W. Broad. I think it's gone now. They used to have some pretty good concerts there back in the day. I saw The Supremes at the Ohio Theater when Jean became lead singer and Faith, Hope and Charity was the opening act .....a memory I'll never forget.....so many wonderful memories of Columbus and yes, it's grown tremendously. I read in one of my Mt. Carmel alumni newsletters that they plan on closing Mt. Carmel West and building a new Mt. Carmel in Grove City. The old Mt. Carmel will be expanded into the College of Nursing and the rest, outpatient offices. You live in a wonderful city, Jerry. I miss it.
    I went to several concerts at Vets' Memorial back in the '70s. That's where I graduated in 1980. I also saw a few shows at Mershon Auditorium, Ohio Theater, and the RCA Palace [[in the old Lincoln-Leveque tower). That was a lifetime ago.

I'd be afraid to step into the State Hospital for fear of not being permitted to leave... The west side also has TICO, the Forensic facility, and Buckeye Youth Center for hardened teenaged criminals, criminally insane people, and adolescent criminals in training respectively.

Mt. Carmel West is about to move to Grove City and they are building a new Vets' Memorial at the old Central High School site. Our last mayor was truly good for the city and it grew a lot under his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wow,that was a hospital? The place they used to take us looked like that windmill lab that dr.frankenstein used...and that was on the good side of town.
    Yep. It was rumored to be something like you see in horror movies, but blueskies knows better than I do. And in my city, the citizens in the west side are just as crazy as the ones in those facilities I was talking about. You would feel right at home there...

[[Just kidding, homeboy)