[REMOVE ADS]

Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...that's the funniest stuff i've heard today jerry.

It seems we've run out of stuff to remember!!!!!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  21.1 KB
    Do any of you remember the old-fashioned wrought iron and hardwood individual desks with attached chairs from the late 1800s and early 1900s?

And are any of you old enough to remember having all old white-haired women for teachers because all the men were in the military, and all the young women were working in war industries, right after World War II?

I had women as teachers exclusively in elementary school, although I never thought about the war as a reason. Does anybody remember pledging allegiance before the school day began or the teacher leading the class in prayer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I had women as teachers exclusively in elementary school, although I never thought about the war as a reason. Does anybody remember pledging allegiance before the school day began or the teacher leading the class in prayer?
    the Pledge of Allegiance, yes. A prayer, no.

All except my sixth grade teacher and P.E. teacher were women, and those two men were older. This was in the late 60s and early 70s.

1967-1968: We said the pledge of allegiance and prayed, and sang "America The Beautiful" in kindergarten.

1968-1970: We said the pledge of allegiance.

After 1971: nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    All except my sixth grade teacher and P.E. teacher were women, and those two men were older. This was in the late 60s and early 70s.

1967-1968: We said the pledge of allegiance and prayed, and sang "America The Beautiful" in kindergarten.

1968-1970: We said the pledge of allegiance.

After 1971: nothing.
    That's about how it was with me. You, Marv, and I had a lot of the same experiences even though we grew up in different cities.

That's about how it was with me. You, Marv, and I had a lot of the same experiences even though we grew up in different cities.
    Well, i'll correct that and say I had three male teachers in elementary school. I should add that I had a male teacher starting in 1971.

In jr. high and beyond, it was an equal split between men and women.

Same here. There was only one male teacher in my elementary school and they have him the awkward task of explaining the facts of life to all the boys in the sixth grade. He struggled badly with the questions of a bunch of kids who already heard about them from their big brothers, who had 99% of it wrong.

He did turn on the television and let us watch Hank Aaron tie Babe Ruth's homerun record, so that was cool. I had a bunch of male teachers in junior high. We ranked them by who gave the hardest swats. Mr. Tracy, our gym teacher, used to drill holes in his paddle so he could swing it faster, so he was high on my list.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....hey jerry i had a shop teacher who kept a paddle he called it-the board of education,and he wasn't afraid to use it..ahhh the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 390
    do any of you remember the old-fashioned wrought iron and hardwood individual desks with attached chairs from the late 1800s and early 1900s?

And are any of you old enough to remember having all old white-haired women for teachers because all the men were in the military, and all the young women were working in war industries, right after world war ii?
    hey robb,i'm not as old as you,but the school system was so cheap that we had some of those desk.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    the Pledge of Allegiance, yes. A prayer, no.
Views: 393
    We sang "God Save The King" until late 1952. From then on, we sang "God Save The Queen". I'm too old to have sung "Oh Canada" in school. although I attended University at U. of British Columbia after "Oh Canada" became our national anthem. But we didn't sing it before university classes. We sang The Dutch national anthem in basis [[elementary) school. In NONE of my schools in Canada, USA or The Netherlands, did we say prayers, other than a prayer for The King or Queen of The Netherlands on King's or Queen's Day. We DIDN'T say a pray for The King or Queen of The Bitish Commonwealth on their birthdays, despite making a fuss over them, and listening to their speeches on the radio.

I guess The USA is overzealous when it comes to religion [[but I think it's expressed in a hypocritical manner). If they were really religious, they would live by the golden rule and be tolerant of all people, and not so exclusivist and racist.

I guess The USA is overzealous when it comes to religion [[but I think it's expressed in a hypocritical manner). If they were really religious, they would live by the golden rule and be tolerant of all people, and not so exclusivist and racist.
    A lot of people in the U.S. just pay lip service to religion and christianity. Many don't believe in it but are afraid to speak up about it. Millennials, less so, but people, say, over 40 are really schizoid about it, and older people are sometimes up in your face about it. And, a lot of those people will try to argue that racism and hatred of gays is allowed in the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....hey jerry i had a shop teacher who kept a paddle he called it-the board of education,and he wasn't afraid to use it..ahhh the good old days.
    Good name for it! My shop teacher had a paddle too, but, to my knowledge, never used it. He made people run laps around the track. He got in trouble for making a kid with a heart condition run laps. He also had a bad temper.

Same here. There was only one male teacher in my elementary school and they have him the awkward task of explaining the facts of life to all the boys in the sixth grade. He struggled badly with the questions of a bunch of kids who already heard about them from their big brothers, who had 99% of it wrong.
    In my school, we didn't separate the boys from the girls for sex ed, and the female teachers did all the classes. The vast majority of us already knew the mechanics of it anyway, so most of us were very bored.

Good name for it! My shop teacher had a paddle too, but, to my knowledge, never used it. He made people run laps around the track. He got in trouble for making a kid with a heart condition run laps. He also had a bad temper.
Views: 406
    My principal in elementary school in The North End of Winnipeg [[back in the '40s and beginning of the '50s), took off his belt and whipped the boys who were sent to him. He'd be sent to prison if he did that now. In middle school [[in West Kildonan, the phys. ed. teachers swatted us with paddle-ball paddles, that had holes drilled in them to lessen wind resistance. You couldn't sit down on a chair without a pillow after being swatted by him [[a musclebound ex Olympics wrestler). My electric shop teacher stodd all us boys in a line and gave us each a high-voltage electric shock [[presumably to "show" us that electricity was dangerous. But we could tell that the dirty sadist was doing it just for fun, by the evil grin that was on his face and the joy in his eyes [[the windows to the soul) as we jumped and our hairs stood on end and frizzd when we were shocked. Thank goodness our chemistry teachers didn't make us place our hands in strong acid to "warn" us about the potential danger.

Views: 383
    I went straight to first grade at five years old, so, I missed Kindergarten. But my younger sister told me that her old lady [[witch) kindergarten teacher used to punish the boys by placing them under the grand piano, while she pounded down hard on the keys, and then they had to sit in the girls' "dollhouse" for 15 minutes. She must have traumatised many a little kid, and maybe altered their psyches for life.

I'm a nostalgist, who sees "the good old days" with rose coloured glasses. But, even I have to admit that, in SOME ways, our society has progressed [[at least in Canada and Western Europe).

Our shop teacher, upset that the class was talking too loud instead of working on our project, put a metal trash can in his desk and smacked it with his paddle so hard, it flew 25 feet across the room. We were quiet as we worked diligently on our projects for the rest of the period.

Our shop teacher, upset that the class was talking too loud instead of working on our project, put a metal trash can in his desk and smacked it with his paddle so hard, it flew 25 feet across the room. We were quiet as we worked diligently on our projects for the rest of the period.
Views: 353
    Do you mean put ON [[atop) his desk, and it flew in the air, OR that he put the trash can inside the desk and the whole desk went skidding across the room's floor?

Views: 383
    I went straight to first grade at five years old, so, I missed Kindergarten. But my younger sister told me that her old lady [[witch) kindergarten teacher used to punish the boys by placing them under the grand piano, while she pounded down hard on the keys, and then they had to sit in the girls' "dollhouse" for 15 minutes. She must have traumatised many a little kid, and maybe altered their psyches for life.

I'm a nostalgist, who sees "the good old days" with rose coloured glasses. But, even I have to admit that, in SOME ways, our society has progressed [[at least in Canada and Western Europe).
    We are regressing here in the United States.................................and fast!

Views: 353
    Do you mean put ON [[atop) his desk, and it flew in the air, OR that he put the trash can inside the desk and the whole desk went skidding across the room's floor?
    Ha! I meant "on top of his desk". Autocorrect strikes again making my "on" into "in" for no really good reason.

My mom didn't play when it came to school,heck i would rather be punished by the teacher than to have a note sent home to mom.

Ha! I meant "on top of his desk". Autocorrect strikes again making my "on" into "in" for no really good reason.
Views: 350
    I absolutely HATE when the automatic speller and grammar tools "correct" what it thinks I've done wrong, or anticipates what I "want" to say. When I'm writing in English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish or Danish, I use those languages' keyboards and the automatic spell and grammar checkers that go with them. But, I often put phrases from English or another language in my writing and the automatic checker invariably "corrects" them to the keyboard's language, much to my distress. And I always have to write over its change for a 3rd time, before it believes [[understands) that that is not a mistake on my part, but actually what I WANT to write. I almost never actually get help from those functions. I should probably turn them off altogether. But, sometimes seeing my note with virtually ALL words with red lines underneath, makes me realise that I was writing a letter to a person in the WRONG LANGUAGE! So, for that reason alone, it's worth it to me to struggle with having to change the corrector's "errors".

Remember those dances we had in the gym,and the girls would get mad cause the boys wouldn't ask em to dance.

Remember playing dodge ball in the gym when you were lucky enough to hide behind the big kids until the last one on your team got put out and you were playing one-on-five against upperclassmen who had the hard soccer balls and all you had was one of those big red super soft balls that nobody ever got put out with? Good times...

Remember playing dodge ball in the gym when you were lucky enough to hide behind the big kids until the last one on your team got put out and you were playing one-on-five against upperclassmen who had the hard soccer balls and all you had was one of those big red super soft balls that nobody ever got put out with? Good times...
    We had something called "wall ball". The jocks would line up one one side of a main corridor, and the other side was a brick wall. They would forcefully throw basketballs at any "nerd" who dared to pass through. Of course the poor kid would have to dodge the balls coming at him.

Wow. We didn't have much bullying at any of the schools I attended, let alone something as rotten as that.

Wow. We didn't have much bullying at any of the schools I attended, let alone something as rotten as that.
    Interesting. That was only in jr. high school, too! We are about the same age, but I grew up in a "boys will be boys" world. The staff knew this kind of thing went on, but only wagged their finger at it. In high school, all kinds of things went on especially on away games. I was in the band, so we had things like wrapping up somebody to a pole from head to toe with a whole roll of duct tape and leaving him there [[the teacher was more pissed about wasting a roll of tape to do it), everyone de-pantsing girls on the bus [[that's where a bunch of people in the back of the buss forcefully pull of the poor girl's pants and won't give them back), making someone sit in a bathtub full of ice water in hotel rooms, and gang-banging the sweet but troubled girl in a hotel room.

That's insanity. My high school was kind of unique. Black kids did hang out mostly with Black kids, but there were overlapping cliques everywhere that pretty much precluded bullying. There were kids in the A/V society who were friends with athletes who were friends with the pep squad who were friends with the kids in the art room who were friends with student government who were friend with the language clubs. Picking on somebody would have put you on the wrong side of somebody who could and would kick your ass.

People got into fights but that was more personal business than the socialized pecking order taking root. And usually, those people were friends, so the fights were much more fair than they would have been if a football player fought with a band member. I never thought that was unique, but now I'm starting to think that I caught a break.

That's insanity. My high school was kind of unique. Black kids did hang out mostly with Black kids, but there were overlapping cliques everywhere that pretty much precluded bullying. There were kids in the A/V society who were friends with athletes who were friends with the pep squad who were friends with the kids in the art room who were friends with student government who were friend with the language clubs. Picking on somebody would have put you on the wrong side of somebody who could and would kick your ass.

People got into fights but that was more personal business than the socialized pecking order taking root. And usually, those people were friends, so the fights were much more fair than they would have been if a football player fought with a band member. I never thought that was unique, but now I'm starting to think that I caught a break.
    In jr. high. which was from 7th grade to 9th grade, the races mixed really well. There were cliques of the jocks, nerds, and the "gays".

But, in my high school, the same cliques were there, but the Blacks mainly associated only with other Blacks, and the Mexicans really separated themselves, and were the most violent. You had the cowboys, which we called "goat ropers", you had the NHS [[National Honor Society), German club, Greek club, the choir people, band people, jocks and cheerleaders, gays, the druggies, the guys who were focused on business/politics, and everyone else.

Mexicans were always at war with Blacks. The jocks were mostly assholes, but not in a bad way.

We never really had bullying either. The kids I came up with could not be intimidated. Every now and then we would get a new transfer student from Chicago or Cleveland who thought they were going to punk people. That would not even last through the course of a month before someone gets bored and jump on him and beat the shit out of him.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv it was like that in da hood back in the day,too many gansters for anybody to be a main bully...yes i'm talking about jr.high school.

Most of our teachers were old world war ii dudes..[you think any kid was gonna intimidate them??haaaaaaaaaaaaaa]

Views: 406
    My principal in elementary school in The North End of Winnipeg [[back in the '40s and beginning of the '50s), took off his belt and whipped the boys who were sent to him. He'd be sent to prison if he did that now. In middle school [[in West Kildonan, the phys. ed. teachers swatted us with paddle-ball paddles, that had holes drilled in them to lessen wind resistance. You couldn't sit down on a chair without a pillow after being swatted by him [[a musclebound ex Olympics wrestler). My electric shop teacher stodd all us boys in a line and gave us each a high-voltage electric shock [[presumably to "show" us that electricity was dangerous. But we could tell that the dirty sadist was doing it just for fun, by the evil grin that was on his face and the joy in his eyes [[the windows to the soul) as we jumped and our hairs stood on end and frizzd when we were shocked. Thank goodness our chemistry teachers didn't make us place our hands in strong acid to "warn" us about the potential danger.
    Man, a teacher would go to prison for that shit today.

man, a teacher would go to prison for that shit today.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa....you know that's right,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey marv it was like that in da hood back in the day,too many gansters for anybody to be a main bully...yes i'm talking about jr.high school.
    Yeah, that's exactly the time frame. Jr. High [[7th & 8th Grades). I can see it now, looking back. Anyone coming up to a kid at school and tells them something like "I am going to get you!". The response back would usually be something like "When?!" as in "When are we going to do this" LOL! The girls we just as tough as the boys.
    Last edited by marv2; 03-16-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa,heck we had girl gangs that would jump dudes.

We didn't have gangs in my school. Seriously, we never heard of 'em!

We didn't, either. Imagine my surprise to find out later that one out the most notorious outfits in our city was based on a street just five blocks from where I live and two blocks from where I went to elementary school. They were doing really bad stuff a full decade before the Chicago and LA gangs moved in on other parts of town.

We didn't, either. Imagine my surprise to find out later that one out the most notorious outfits in our city was based on a street just five blocks from where I live and two blocks from where I went to elementary school. They were doing really bad stuff a full decade before the Chicago and LA gangs moved in on other parts of town.
    Hell, in the 70s, and most of the 80s, we didn't even have gangs in my state! I didn't even know what street gangs were until that film "The Warriors" came out in 1979.

In the late 80s, L.A. street gangs moved in because they were trying to escape the gang wars there. Problem is, they started up their shit here too! To make matters worse, they had infiltrated the military as well. They were able to because Ronald Reagan's army, and the better economy in the mid-80s left a deficit of soldiers, and they wound up recruiting just about anybody.

In Detroit and New York City we had gangs of one kind or another since the late 1930s. Most could not be described as criminal enterprises, but we've had those types too.

Sitting on the floor at age 3 doing exercises with the exercise man, Jack Lalanne. LOL!

Hah! My aunt used to exercise with him on the TV. Then, we'd watch "Dark Shadows", which creeped the mess out of my young mind. I watched a couple of episodes of it recently and wondered how anybody stayed awake long enough to be scared by it.

Hah! My aunt used to exercise with him on the TV. Then, we'd watch "Dark Shadows", which creeped the mess out of my young mind. I watched a couple of episodes of it recently and wondered how anybody stayed awake long enough to be scared by it.
    We didn't have Jack LaLane on TV when I grew up, but my sister would watch Dark Shadows every day and it would creep me out too. Before that, we would watch the newlywed Game and then the Dating Game right after it.

Who remembers-bob richards,who was an all around athlete and minister who also was the spokesman for wheaties.

Jerry , I have watching all the original episodes of "Dark Shadows" in order [[ about 10-15 of them during the week). I also watched with it first aired back in July 1966. "Where the Action Is" came on directly following "Dark Shadows".

Who remembers-bob richards,who was an all around athlete and minister who also was the spokesman for wheaties.
    Uhhhh, kinda, sorta. Did he do a television commercial for them?

Views: 291
    Jerry, what city was that, where you lived, where gangs from both Chicago AND L.A. moved in, later?

Views: 282
    I do. I remember him as an all-around track and field man, and Olympic medalist. He was a Decathlon medal holder [[several times). He was on the Wheaties boxes from near the end of The 1940s through the early to mid '50s.

He was joined on the boxes by other sports celebrities in the early '50s. I also remember the following sports stars' photos with a one-page comic sports story on "Sparkin' with Wheaties" on the back of Dell comic books from 1952-1955:

Baseball: Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Ferris Fain, Robin Roberts, Phil Rizzuto, Ralph Kiner, Yogi Berra

Football: Yale Lary, Bob Waterfield,

Tennis: Bobby Riggs [[or, am I mixing this up with a Lucky Strike Cigarette print add that had a photo of several sports stars endorsing their cigarette, that had Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Sammy Baugh, Bobby Riggs, George Mikan, a golfer and another one or 2 sports celebs on it?

Basketball: Some obscure, short. non-scoring guard from The Rochester Royals

Hockey: Sid Abel, Rocket Richard[[Canada only)

I'll bet some of you old heads will remember these..............