[REMOVE ADS]

Page 16 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 26 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    People would just spontaneously catch on fire... It would simultaneously be horrible and funny as hell.

And we would just laugh and laugh have more of JAI's hooch! LOL!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....it's always a good time for this wonderful elixur!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....it's always a good time for this wonderful elixur!!
    MAN! I wished I had some right now! Oh well, my left over J&D will have to do........ LOL

J&d??? That koolaid...i got some of my fastest carrier buzzards on the way.

J&d??? That koolaid...i got some of my fastest carrier buzzards on the way.

Kool-aid? Uh oh, I'm nervous now. What have I gotten myself into? LOL! Thanks JAI I'm going to climb to top of the house and wait for them on the roof. Thanks again bro.

Don't mention it my brother,if you're gonna destroy your liver do it with the best livertearupper of all time!!!

Don't mention it my brother,if you're gonna destroy your liver do it with the best livertearupper of all time!!!
    Wow~! thanks. LOL!!!!

We'll all be hittin' it if Trump wins the White House.

Actually, if he wins the White House, most of us are already doing something much harder than hooch!

Hey jerry,don't worry brother i got a deal going for some of us to move to[antartica]i know some penquins down there who will hook us up,if trump gets in.

Remember when even the republicans had a clue when running for the big job,now we just get a clown show.
    Last edited by arr&bee; 01-08-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Remember when even the republicans had a glue when running for the big job,now we just get a clown show.
    Don't you mean blow job? LOL

I remember when the elected president set the nation's legislative agenda and congress figured out how to make it work. Now, they're so contrary, that when he proposes things that they first suggested [[like increased background checks and how to set up health care), they hate him do much they won't even enact their own ideas.

It's all set up for hillary to become the first female president,you want to tell me that the republicans can't find anyone smarter than-donald trump?????

I remember when the elected president set the nation's legislative agenda and congress figured out how to make it work. Now, they're so contrary, that when he proposes things that they first suggested [[like increased background checks and how to set up health care), they hate him do much they won't even enact their own ideas.
    The main issue I have with Pres. Obama is that he has always been too pragmatic, too conciliatory, especially when he did have a Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate.

It's all set up for hillary to become the first female president,you want to tell me that the republicans can't find anyone smarter than-donald trump?????
    Honestly, Trump is a very smart guy, and he knows just when to push or pull back. he knows his audience and followers very, very well, and he really understands the media. Those things alone make him dangerous. But, he still, as of this moment, cannot beat Hillary Clinton.

I think Hillary is just biding her time, reserving her venom on the eventual republiKKKan nominee. The more time those clowns waste on attacking each other and other things is all the better for the Democrats. The only real issue is Bernie Sanders.

If only Joe Biden had run, this contest would be his for the taking.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-08-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The main issue I have with Pres. Obama is that he has always been too pragmatic, too conciliatory, especially when he did have a Democratic majority in both the House and the Senate.
    I understand why he takes the high road but it irritates me that they buy only suspect him, they disrespect the office of the president. In fact, Tea Baggers have fun and best conservative and moderate incumbents solely on the promise that they would oppose him, no matter what he wanted. Give them credit for being willing to lie in order to control the narrative.

I'll never forget that President Obama sat down with Republican leadership the first week after his election and they tried to tell him what they expected him to do. He wanted to get their ideas in how to enact his policies and they blew him off. He told them "gentlemen, I won the election" so that they understood that the electorate voted for his agenda. The bullshit started the next day.

Remember when we kids would skin our knees and mom would put that old[mucricone]on it and it stung like heck and we would get a bandade which took off our skin when we finally removed it?

Remember when we kids would skin our knees and mom would put that old[mucricone]on it and it stung like heck and we would get a bandade which took off our skin when we finally removed it?
    OMG! The red stuff in the little bottle with the glass stick! LOL! I bet my mother still have what's left of that muccricrome in a box somewhere at here house. Boy do I remember that now. I remember peeling back the bandage to look at the scab. hehehehehehe.....

Ok this was the stuff. I can't remember exactly how the bottle looked but it was a small bottle:

Attachment 10953

Check out this article I found on it:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-mercurochrome

The problem with mercurochrome if that it looks like iodine, which doesn't burn. You see Mom break out the little bottle of dark red liquid and you think "oh, that stuff? I got this!"

And then you find out it's the other stuff when she wipes it on...

I grew up around medicine and never heard of mercurochrome until just now. You got a scrape as a kid, you just wash the scrape with warm soap or Phisohex, and water.

Man! I haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid! I can still smell it. I also didn't know they still make the stuff, but my mom used to bring it home from the hospital.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That reminds me of Bactine from way back when.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...hey sometimes mom would just pour some pure peroxide on it-yeeeooowwww,that stuff would ooz up the stinging would begin,awww the good old days almost makes you wanna go out and skin up your elbows,who's with me..haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...ouoch!!!

Mom used peroxide but it never burned too badly. Now, when she broke out a cotton ball and a bottle of alcohol, that was a different matter all together.

OF COURSE MANY YEARS LATER I USED PEROXIDE-MECURICONE-ALCHOHOL AND A LITTLE SOMETHING ELSE IN MY FIRST EXPERIMENTAL ELIXUR...[why are you frowning,most of the rats lived].

Soap and warm water was all you needed.

What you needed was somebody who didn't swear by the mantra that "if it doesn't hurt, it doesn't help". A lot of moms swear that it's the truth.

I grew up around medicine and never heard of mercurochrome until just now. You got a scrape as a kid, you just wash the scrape with warm soap or Phisohex, and water.

Man! I haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid! I can still smell it. I also didn't know they still make the stuff, but my mom used to bring it home from the hospital.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  21.1 KB
    That must be because you grew up in the '60s or after. Had you grown up in the '40s or early '50s, you would know what mercurochrome is.

Remember the days of doo-wop when the main instruments were the piano and drums? Of course the drifters changed all that in[1959].

Remember when lead singers were as likely to be baritones as tenors or falsettos? The Drifters had a lot to do with that as well. And wasn't the world a better place before everybody tried to be Stevie Wonder, who is unique?

... before everybody tried to be Stevie Wonder...
    Or Marvin Gaye...or Steve Arrington...

Or Marvin Gaye...or Steve Arrington...
    Thank you! There are [[in my opinion) some great singers but also fantastic stylists. Stylists are the most divisive among fans and detractors, by the way. You can mimic a great singer to a degree but aping a stylist is more obvious and makes some roll their eyes. Who needs somebody who sounds like someone we've heard already?

Skeaking of style,i think that liberace was one of the dressinest dudes ever.

So was Goldie the Mack.

Thank you! There are [[in my opinion) some great singers but also fantastic stylists. Stylists are the most divisive among fans and detractors, by the way. You can mimic a great singer to a degree but aping a stylist is more obvious and makes some roll their eyes. Who needs somebody who sounds like someone we've heard already?
    I was going to bring up Keith Sweat, but, even he sounds like Steve Arrington who came before him.

Them guys are sharp, makes me wanna pull out my floor lenth five peice triple breasted almost genuine fake imitation jumpsuit and forty foot hat from back in the day.

And he's a good example of what I said about stylism being divisive. I like Keith Sweat songs but when I focus on his voice, I can barely finish them. Curiously, in a huge fan of Steve Arrington, who irritates others the same way. I want to put Adam Levine in that category. I like a lot of Maroon 5 songs, but that voice... I don't know about it.

And he's a good example of what I said about stylism being divisive. I like Keith Sweat songs but when I focus on his voice, I can barely finish them. Curiously, in a huge fan of Steve Arrington, who irritates others the same way. I want to put Adam Levine in that category. I like a lot of Maroon 5 songs, but that voice... I don't know about it.
    I'm the opposite. While I like Keith Sweat, I can only take Steve Arrington in small doses, but I love the music of Slave during his era.

I'm the opposite. While I like Keith Sweat, I can only take Steve Arrington in small doses, but I love the music of Slave during his era.
    I went to college with Steve's cousin Margaret Arrington.

Remember when you could recognize music scenes by the sounds of the bands that came out of them? Memphis, New Orleans, Motown, Muscle Shoals, and Philly in the sixties and seventies, Minneapolis, Dayton, and New York in the eighties. Artists collaborate between cities and even continents these days and I don't know if any major producers are influenced by the local scenes like they used to be. I'll bet there's a bigger impact from the top down than vice versa.

Good point jerry,i hadn't thought about it because i seldom listen to radio these days

Remember sitting in a dark classroom and watching some of these:

http://www.tvschoolhouse.com/index.html

Check these photos out and you will really start to remember things.......LOL!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ls&FORM=HDRSC2

Does anybody remember the excitement they felt when their teacher opened up the box from Weekly Reader and passed out the books they ordered a few weeks earlier? I received my first book in second grade [[Funny Jokes and Foxy Riddles) and I still tell many of those same jokes 47 years after reading them as a child.

Does anybody remember the excitement they felt when their teacher opened up the box from Weekly Reader and passed out the books they ordered a few weeks earlier? I received my first book in second grade [[Funny Jokes and Foxy Riddles) and I still tell many of those same jokes 47 years after reading them as a child.

The Weekly Reader, yep. I remember. It didn't take much to excite kids in those days.

I subscribed to the Highlights magazine in the very early 70s. I loved it when I got them in the mail every two or three months.

Name:  il_fullxfull.332908363.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  23.8 KB
    Last edited by soulster; 01-22-2016 at 06:33 PM.

I subscribed to the Highlights magazine in the very early 70s. I loved it when I got them in the mail every two or three months.

Name:  il_fullxfull.332908363.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  23.8 KB
    My mother still has a stack of our old Highlights magazine in the basement at her house! LOL!

My mom subscribed to Highlights For Children for me, as well. I read those books cover to cover.

I always liked Goofus & Gallant.