[REMOVE ADS]

Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Seeing the few samples of your Robb has inspired me to return to drawing. I was pretty good if I say so.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  21.1 KB
    Post some of your drawings. I'm curious to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 312
    Post some of your drawings. I'm curious to see them.
    Robb, those drawings are way back at my parents house in Ohio probably fading away. If I get to do some over the holidays. I'll do that. Thanks.

I once drew a stickman...and once he found out he threatened to beat me to death with that stick,darn stickmen..no sense of humor!!

I used to buy two or three Archie Comic books a week Dennis The Menace, too. The Christmas editions were special. I pretty much stopped buying them in 1976, though. I felt the stories weren't as much fun, the books were getting thinner, and by 1975, I was moving onto Mad and Cracked magazines.

I was all over Mad and Cracked. I stopped buying them when every issue started having Fonzie on the covers.

By the way, does anybody remember the "Happy Days" episode when LaVerne and Shirley were introduced as "easy" girls? Fonzie set Richie up to score with Shirley. They got a makeover into decent blue collar working women when they got their own show.

Can't say that I remember that. I was never a Happy Days fan. I remember in sixth grade the morning after the premiere of Happy Days the night before. All the other kids went on and on about Fonzie this, Fonzie that. I didn't care one bit.

One year later, all the guys talked about was the TV show Kung Fu,

Haaaaaaa,there was a guy that lived next door way back in the day who was the fonz[motorcycle,leather jacket,greased hair,chicks]we kids thought he was the coolest dude on the block...til my cousin rolled up in his block long el dorado-sharkskin suit-three chicks-moneyroll.

Arthur Fonzarelli was a background character the first season of "Happy Days". He was the gang banger who intimidated Richie and his friends, not through anything he said or did, but by his presence. He became wildly popular and wound up being that show's version of Steve Urkel; a character who was there as color for the show but not part of the ensemble who somehow became the lead character for the series.

Yep and today the[cool]fonz is an old man doing commercials for home loans...motorcycle one day...scooter the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Arthur Fonzarelli was a background character the first season of "Happy Days". He was the gang banger who intimidated Richie and his friends, not through anything he said or did, but by his presence. He became wildly popular and wound up being that show's version of Steve Urkel; a character who was there as color for the show but not part of the ensemble who somehow became the lead character for the series.
    Uh, we remember all that. I just didn't care for the show. I didn't think it was funny or entertaining. I also could not relate to it in any way.

The show was funny to me when it focused on Richie and his family dynamics. When Potsy's hair was nearly long enough to touch his shoulders, it killed much of the idea that the show was set in early '60s Milwaukee. When I saw Mr. Cunningham wearing a quartz watch, I stopped watching it altogether. Even at age 14, I thought people should have taken enough pride not to let that happen. If they didn't care, I sure as hell wasn't going to.

The show was funny to me when it focused on Richie and his family dynamics. When Potsy's hair was nearly long enough to touch his shoulders, it killed much of the idea that the show was set in early '60s Milwaukee. When I saw Mr. Cunningham wearing a quartz watch, I stopped watching it altogether. Even at age 14, I thought people should have taken enough pride not to let that happen. If they didn't care, I sure as hell wasn't going to.
    Pride? It wasn't about pride. It was just the social norm back then. Long hair on a man was seen like a man wearing a dress. It just wasn't done. That's why it was so shocking to see when The Beatles came here.

When I mentioned pride, I meant on the part of the show creators. When they started, they took care to give Richie, Ralph, and Potsy crew cuts that were everywhere in the early '60s. But eventually, Potsy's hair was quite clearly styled like that of a lot of the white kids that I went to school with in the mid-70s, not like the Beatles or any pop artists from the 60s. It was like the actors showed up, put on 60s style clothes and went to work. And the digital watch was ridiculous.

When I mentioned pride, I meant on the part of the show creators. When they started, they took care to give Richie, Ralph, and Potsy crew cuts that were everywhere in the early '60s. But eventually, Potsy's hair was quite clearly styled like that of a lot of the white kids that I went to school with in the mid-70s, not like the Beatles or any pop artists from the 60s. It was like the actors showed up, put on 60s style clothes and went to work. And the digital watch was ridiculous.

OK, I see what you're saying. But, that show was originally set in the late 50s, not the early 60s.

After a time, no one really cared. Laverne And Shirley had been spun off and was becoming more popular. I never watched that show either - it just didn't interest me. Three's Company, One Day At A Time, and Welcome Back Kotter were funnier and more contemporary, as America lost its infatuation with the 50s era.

As far as getting period props wrong is concerned, I was always annoyed by the show The Wonder Years. They always got something wrong, be it props or the music.

And that makes me remember when I actually watched network television with some amount of regularity. These days, there is little of interest to me on TV [[except sports) and I don't think there's one show that I try to watch. It's not worth the effort to be there when it comes on. I watch black-ish when I notice it's on but I don't try to be available.

And that makes me remember when I actually watched network television with some amount of regularity. These days, there is little of interest to me on TV [[except sports) and I don't think there's one show that I try to watch. It's not worth the effort to be there when it comes on. I watch black-ish when I notice it's on but I don't try to be available.
    As a fan of medical dramas, I do watch Code Black today, just as I watched ER, Emergency. and Medical Center before those. I also used to watch cop shows.

Except for a show here and there, i've pretty much stopped watching sitcoms and dramas. I'll watch science shows and the news. I have absolutely no interest in sports of any kind, unless it's women's nude oil wrestling.

Ummm... I checked my program listings and that's not in it. What channel is it on, again? I used to watch "St. Elsewhere" and "Hill Street Blues" every week, two of the best shows ever [[many don't remember Denzel Washington was on St. Elsewhere). After that, the only cop show I recall watching was "New York Undercover".

These days, it's hard for me to watch police dramas because I have a hard time finding sympathy for the cops. I loved "The Wire" because the cops were portrayed to be as shady as the criminals on it.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa...we all agree that tv today sucks,just to show how much it stinks the main shows other than sports are[the flash-empire]why do i still have a tv????????

Ummm... I checked my program listings and that's not in it. What channel is it on, again? I used to watch "St. Elsewhere" and "Hill Street Blues" every week, two of the best shows ever [[many don't remember Denzel Washington was on St. Elsewhere). After that, the only cop show I recall watching was "New York Undercover".

These days, it's hard for me to watch police dramas because I have a hard time finding sympathy for the cops. I loved "The Wire" because the cops were portrayed to be as shady as the criminals on it.
    Code Black is a medical show and been coming on Wednesday night at 9:00PM PST on CBS. If you have a cable or satellite service that lets you watch recent shows, it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Code Black is a medical show and been coming on Wednesday night at 9:00PM PST on CBS. If you have a cable or satellite service that lets you watch recent shows, it's there.
    LOL. I was referring to the nude oil wrestling...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Uh, we remember all that. I just didn't care for the show. I didn't think it was funny or entertaining. I also could not relate to it in any way.
Views: 255
    The first few episodes were okay. But it soon got too repetitive, "cutesy", formulaic, and just not funny. It was basically insulting to intelligence, as most US mass appeal commercial network sitcoms are [[in my opinion).

Of course, I was already an adult when that show started. And I had been a late teenager in the early 1960s, and had lived in Chicago, and knew Milwaukee enough. And, like Soulster, I didn't identify with the characters in that show.

Views: 255
    The first few episodes were okay. But it soon got too repetitive, "cutesy", formulaic, and just not funny. It was basically insulting to intelligence, as most US mass appeal commercial network sitcoms are [[in my opinion).

Of course, I was already an adult when that show started. And I had been a late teenager in the early 1960s, and had lived in Chicago, and knew Milwaukee enough. And, like Soulster, I didn't identify with the characters in that show.
    After the first couple of years it was all about Fonzie's "Aaaayyyyy" getting canned laughs.

But, if you think U.S. TV was bad, you may not remember "Maude", "All In The Family", "Mary Tyler Moore", "Carol Burnett", "Family, "M*A*S*H", "The Waltons", and other highly rated shows. You may not agree, but John Ritter's comedic excellence rivalled Carol Burnett and Lucille Ball" on "Three's Company".
    Last edited by soulster; 12-17-2015 at 03:30 AM.

There were plenty of good shows [[subjectively speaking). With that said, the 70s were pretty brutal for shows that followed formulas. SWAT, Baretta, Starsky and Hutch, The Rookies, and tons of other cop shows were pretty similar. Archie Bunker and M.A.S.H. changed sitcoms for the better, but most of them pretty much sucked. Sanford and Son easily stands out as an exception early in the decade.

There were plenty of good shows [[subjectively speaking). With that said, the 70s were pretty brutal for shows that followed formulas. SWAT, Baretta, Starsky and Hutch, The Rookies, and tons of other cop shows were pretty similar. Archie Bunker and M.A.S.H. changed sitcoms for the better, but most of them pretty much sucked. Sanford and Son easily stands out as an exception early in the decade.
    Again, all subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    lol. I was referring to the nude oil wrestling...
    what channel,what channel???

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    what channel,what channel???
    Women's nude oil wrestling is one of those things you just have to see live in person! Up close and personal!

Sounds a little slippery to me.

Remember when you had to meet a girl's whole family before the first date?

Nope. But I remember the dirty looks I got from their dads while I waited for them to get ready.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....dad's know!!!!

I REMEMBER EVERY CHICK I DATED IN THE SIXTIES HAD AT LEAST TEN AUNTS AND A BIBLE TOTING GRANDMOTHER,WHO WOULD SIT IN THE SEMI-CIRCLE OR THE CULDREN[as we called it]AND ASK THE ONE QUESTION THAT NO DUDE WANTED TO HEAR[and few could actually answer]YOUNG MAN,WHAT CHURCH ARE YOU AFFILIATED WITH??[by this time I'm damn near drowned in sweat]WHY COULDN'T SHE ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION LIKE[do you drink alchohol?]WELL BY SOME MIRACLE I WOULD BLERT OUT SOMETHING AND PASS THE TEST...TALK ABOUT TRIAL BY FIRE.

I REMEMBER EVERY CHICK I DATED IN THE SIXTIES HAD AT LEAST TEN AUNTS AND A BIBLE TOTING GRANDMOTHER,WHO WOULD SIT IN THE SEMI-CIRCLE OR THE CULDREN[as we called it]AND ASK THE ONE QUESTION THAT NO DUDE WANTED TO HEAR[and few could actually answer]YOUNG MAN,WHAT CHURCH ARE YOU AFFILIATED WITH??[by this time I'm damn near drowned in sweat]WHY COULDN'T SHE ASK A SIMPLE QUESTION LIKE[do you drink alchohol?]WELL BY SOME MIRACLE I WOULD BLERT OUT SOMETHING AND PASS THE TEST...TALK ABOUT TRIAL BY FIRE.
    Been there, done that many times JAI. I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Been there, done that many times JAI. I know the feeling.
    I never heard of that.

Remember when you had to meet a girl's whole family before the first date?
Views: 233
    YES! And sometimes [[depending upon the parents) You had to get her home by 11:00 PM, or even 10:00 PM!

Views: 237
    Ha! If the parents of the Christian girls I dated asked that, I'd have to had run out dodging bullets! Most of the Jewish girls I knew were too stuck up, materialistic, or spoiled. I dated a Japanese girl for a while. Her parents liked me, so it was fine. I was friendly with her whole family, and knew her brother before, so there was no problem. But yes, most fathers will consider the teenager who dates their daughter as the "enemy", who is trying to steal their baby girl away. They hate everything about you and the very ground beneath your feet.

But yes, most fathers will consider the teenager who dates their daughter as the "enemy", who is trying to steal their baby girl away. They hate everything about you and the very ground beneath your feet.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212338/

Name:  Meet The Parents.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  75.4 KB

Views: 237
    ha! If the parents of the christian girls i dated asked that, i'd have to had run out dodging bullets! Most of the jewish girls i knew were too stuck up, materialistic, or spoiled. I dated a japanese girl for a while. Her parents liked me, so it was fine. I was friendly with her whole family, and knew her brother before, so there was no problem. But yes, most fathers will consider the teenager who dates their daughter as the "enemy", who is trying to steal their baby girl away. They hate everything about you and the very ground beneath your feet.
    haaaaaaaa,hey rob the crazy thing is that those grandmothers were like the [cia]they had a network and if you lied that was it,you would never get a date.

Their grandmothers were one thing, but their big brothers were something else altogether. Especially when they popped up everywhere at school giving you a smirk and an exaggerated nod every time they saw you. Almost like they wanted you to know that you're on their radar and they'll tell their sister [[and grandmother) everything that they see or hear about you doing.

HAAAAAAAAAAAA...HEY JERRY IT WAS THE LITTLE BROTHERS I HAD TO WORRY ABOUT,THOSE BRATS WOULD POP UP AT THE WORST TIMES[like when I was putting the moves on his sister's best friend]I PROBOBLY PAID THIER WAY THRU COLLEGE,HEHEHEHE!!!

My superb and very human doctor wears jeans and is the best physician I've ever known. His style relaxes everyone and he is a world renowned specialist. Clothes do not make the person . I battle constantly with friends and relatives who have to always be on their cell phones...out to dinner etc. So rude and compulsive. Recently I caught a train to NYC at rush hour and everyone was on their phone at the station and absolutely no human interaction! Zombies!!

Yeah, people now think nothing about breaking out phones and texting during holiday dinners, church, on elevators, and pretty much where they want to. They pay hundreds of dollars for tickets to sporting events, concerts, and stage plays and then spend half the night texting instead of enjoying the event. Some kids sit next to each and text rather than talk to each other.

Can you imagine how it will be even they have kids?

Yeah, people now think nothing about breaking out phones and texting during holiday dinners, church, on elevators, and pretty much where they want to. They pay hundreds of dollars for tickets to sporting events, concerts, and stage plays and then spend half the night texting instead of enjoying the event. Some kids sit next to each and text rather than talk to each other.

Can you imagine how it will be even they have kids?
Views: 212
    Ha! Ha! I still have a land line and only first got a mobile phone last year. And I only use that to let my family or friends know my whereabouts or travel situation when I'm coming to visit them, and they are going to pick me up. My cell phone is the old-fashioned kind [[NOT a Smart Phone), So, I can only call out and receive calls, and texts. I don't have an i-pad nor Internet or video capability on my phone. So, if I sit at a holiday dinner table, I CAN'T be rude and look at The Internet nor play computer games, unless I sit there with my big, 20-inch screen laptop [[which I wouldn't do).

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    My superb and very human doctor wears jeans and is the best physician I've ever known. His style relaxes everyone and he is a world renowned specialist. Clothes do not make the person . I battle constantly with friends and relatives who have to always be on their cell phones...out to dinner etc. So rude and compulsive. Recently I caught a train to NYC at rush hour and everyone was on their phone at the station and absolutely no human interaction! Zombies!!
    That is exactly what I've noticed over the last few years commuting on the train back and forth to the city. No one talks to one another anymore. Everyone's looking at their mobile devices.

People use their phones in public as an excuse to avoid socializing with strangers. Sadly, crooks target a lot of these folks and steal their phones while they are focused on them instead of their surroundings.

I like the videos of people walking into fountains at the mall while texting, though.

Remember When?

Name:  remember when.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  70.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Look at the bright side: fewer human interactions means fewer chances for random violence.

Hey as long as we got[sdf]we'll always talk to each other.

Maybe, but you know if there was ever a get-together, there'd be a battle royale among a lot of us. All it would take would be for somebody to show up wearing a "Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme" tee shirt and we'd be lucky to have witnesses left to tell the cops what happened.

Maybe, but you know if there was ever a get-together, there'd be a battle royale among a lot of us. All it would take would be for somebody to show up wearing a "Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme" tee shirt and we'd be lucky to have witnesses left to tell the cops what happened.
    I'll do better than that! I'll bring the author with me. hehehehehehehehehe.............

People would just spontaneously catch on fire... It would simultaneously be horrible and funny as hell.