[REMOVE ADS]

Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  21.1 KB
    I never wore ANY of those clothes. I usually wore bluejeans [[Levis), sneakers or basketball shoes, and a T-shirt or plaid "Pendleton" lumberjack shirt [[Red Green has been accused of copying ME!). I STILL wear the same thing. Since my one year as a consultant for an engineering firm, I have only worn a suit at weddings, bar mitzvahs and funerals. I NEVER went in for fads. I always cut my hair the same way, wore similar clothing, etc.

I'm still stuck in the early 1960s [[never really left 1964). I've had my beard and moustache since graduating high school at age 17 in 1963) and NEVER shaved it off. I did eventually get a computer [[2001), and I even got a mobile phone finally, last year [[but it's NOT a s"smart phone", it's a little one that I don't use for Internet surfing, only to make and receive telephone calls, and to text [[which I almost never do). I DO use SKYPE, which is a great help, in that I work with partners in The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, and Sweden, and speak with family in USA, Canada, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden almost every day. But those are the only concessions I make to "modernity". I have bicycles in all my 5 homes [[Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Canada and USA), but only have a car in USA [[as it is in public transportless L.A.), and only drive it a couple thousand miles per year. I'll probably give it up and leave L.A. for good within the next 2 years.

Hey,marv you gotta let me rummage your closet,i'd never have to shop for clothes again,hehehehehehehe.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 400
    i never wore any of those clothes. I usually wore bluejeans [[levis), sneakers or basketball shoes, and a t-shirt or plaid "pendleton" lumberjack shirt [[red green has been accused of copying me!). I still wear the same thing. Since my one year as a consultant for an engineering firm, i have only worn a suit at weddings, bar mitzvahs and funerals. I never went in for fads. I always cut my hair the same way, wore similar clothing, etc.

I'm still stuck in the early 1960s [[never really left 1964). I've had my beard and moustache since graduating high school at age 17 in 1963) and never shaved it off. I did eventually get a computer [[2001), and i even got a mobile phone finally, last year [[but it's not a s"smart phone", it's a little one that i don't use for internet surfing, only to make and receive telephone calls, and to text [[which i almost never do). I do use skype, which is a great help, in that i work with partners in the netherlands, denmark, germany, and sweden, and speak with family in usa, canada, netherlands, denmark, sweden almost every day. But those are the only concessions i make to "modernity". I have bicycles in all my 5 homes [[netherlands, denmark, germany, canada and usa), but only have a car in usa [[as it is in public transportless l.a.), and only drive it a couple thousand miles per year. I'll probably give it up and leave l.a. For good within the next 2 years.
    robb i dig where you're coming from brother,in my mind it's still[1956-66]my greatest decade heck if my youngest didn't need one for school i wouldn't have a computer.

Does anybody remember jumping into piles of leaves after you spent an hour raking them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Does anybody remember jumping into piles of leaves after you spent an hour raking them up?
    Nope. We had rocks on our lawn. We had one mulberry tree in the front yard, but couldn't rake the leaves, so we had to pick them up one by one!

I remember doing that every year. i remember people use to burn their leaves also. We lived in a neighborhood that had a great variety of trees. We use to collect buckeyes and acorns for school projects.

Views: 349
    Yes! We did that. And then we had to rake them back into the high piles and carry them to the incinerator to burn them.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Nope. We had rocks on our lawn. We had one mulberry tree in the front yard, but couldn't rake the leaves, so we had to pick them up one by one!
    Now I'm imagining a bunch of kids jumping into piles of rocks...

Now I'm imagining a bunch of kids jumping into piles of rocks...
    Nope, not piles of rocks. If you've ever been out here to this part of the country, you'll find that it is [[or used to be) popular to cover the yard with rocks or gravel instead of having a lawn. Not only is it much less maintenance, but it still looks nice, and saves water.

Nope, not piles of rocks. If you've ever been out here to this part of the country, you'll find that it is [[or used to be) popular to cover the yard with rocks or gravel instead of having a lawn. Not only is it much less maintenance, but it still looks nice, and saves water.
Views: 309
    Where did you grow up? Somewhere in The West?

My brother lives in Las Vegas. I was surprised when I saw the first photos of his home with white rocks where grass would be in the Midwest.

HEY JERRY I DID THAT THE OTHER DAY....[it's a good thing that can outrun my wife]

My brother lives in Las Vegas. I was surprised when I saw the first photos of his home with white rocks where grass would be in the Midwest.
    We desert rats are used to it. People who haven't been out here are often startled about how we do things out here, from architecture, landscaping, and even typical city streets which can be as wide as a six-lane freeway [[both ways).

You're lucky. Remember when streets being wide enough to park on both sides and still have room for two lanes of travel was the norm? New developments have streets that are barely three lanes wide and houses that sit literally ten feet from the sidewalks and three feet from the neighboring houses. It's barely worth the time it takes to more the lawn when it only takes fifteen minutes to finish the job.

Also, remember when kids playing in the street got out of your way before you had to honk your horn? And when you do nowadays, they look at you like you have a problem instead of them. And you can't do it everywhere for fear that the bastards might pull out a gun and shoot you for "disrespecting" them.

You're lucky. Remember when streets being wide enough to park on both sides and still have room for two lanes of travel was the norm? New developments have streets that are barely three lanes wide and houses that sit literally ten feet from the sidewalks and three feet from the neighboring houses. It's barely worth the time it takes to more the lawn when it only takes fifteen minutes to finish the job.

Also, remember when kids playing in the street got out of your way before you had to honk your horn? And when you do nowadays, they look at you like you have a problem instead of them. And you can't do it everywhere for fear that the bastards might pull out a gun and shoot you for "disrespecting" them.
    No, I can't say i've ever seen that or had that problem.

I remember that and I know what you are talking about that goes on today with kids in the street. Warning: do not speak to them~!!!

Ahh... City life! Or at least, city life east of the Mississippi.

I grew up with my back yard backed up on the edge of a creek, with forest on the other side. We had a moose come into our yard a few times in the summer. We had only a middle height fence after we put in our hockey rink. On weekdays we could have played in the street, as all the cars were taken to work by the fathers, and no family had 2 cars [[some didn't even have one). We had big lots because we were the last suburb.

My dad drove a Bonneville when I was born but the first car I remember is a 1965 Chevy Impala, which is still my dream car to this day. It was put on bricks and replaced with a '72 Caprice. Eventually, my mom bought a 1976 Nova [[we were a GM family). Living in a city like Columbus, we needed a car, even back in the '60s.

My friends and I played touch football in the street in front of our house. We also played tackle football at various fields throughout the neighborhood and area. It was more fun when it got cold outside and the ground in the fields was snow covered or nearly brick hard. I'm amazed to this day that nobody was seriously hurt but I remember no broken bones or concussions [[just a few bloody noses).

Reminds me of how four of us used to play touch football every day for a year. No injuries, no fights, no disagreements. Just four good friends having fun.

Hey jerry,it's so bad now the kids park thier bigwheels in your space and you have to pay them to park there...and they might still rob you!!

My dad drove a Bonneville when I was born but the first car I remember is a 1965 Chevy Impala, which is still my dream car to this day. It was put on bricks and replaced with a '72 Caprice. Eventually, my mom bought a 1976 Nova [[we were a GM family). Living in a city like Columbus, we needed a car, even back in the '60s.
    Pretty much the same here. Our family was also a GM family.

We bought a blue silver'65 Chevy Impala, fully loaded model right before we moved out here. When my mother got tired of that, she bought a '69 Chevy Malibu. Same color except with a white hood. My brother in-law at the time bought a green '69 Chevy Nova. I then continued by getting a '70 Malibu in 1981. It got totaled in a car crash.

I broke the chain buy buying a used AMC Pacer for $150 in the late 80s when I needed transportation. That car was butt-ugly, but ran well for about six years. Then I bought my other brother in-law's Izuzu Impulse. It was a great car, but it just started to fall apart. In 1998 I went back to GM and bought a Saturn, which was a very good car. It drove great, but the interior started to fall apart, partly because of the hot Phoenix Arizona sun. Man I put some miles on that puppy! I almost got it up to 200,000 miles when I got another Malibu. That was totaled by a drunk driver two years later, so I bought another Malibu. That was totaled by an accident with a blown tire. So, I gave up on Malibus and got a Cruze. Somewhere in there, one sister bought a caddy, and the other got a GEO Metro. The only bad cars we all had were Fords.

Oh, wait, my father owned a Bonneville in the early 70s, and a Cordoba in the late 70s. My other sister and brother in-law also owned a Cordoba in the mid-70s. The last car he owned was a Lincoln with an interior that he ruined with his smoking. I couldn't even stick my head in the door it was so bad!
    Last edited by soulster; 11-17-2015 at 06:43 PM.

I don't know what's worse, looking at their drawers, their hair, it realizing that doing so makes me seem more like my dad than I want to be.

Remember when we would get our hair cut every two weeks like clockwork?

My friends and I played touch football in the street in front of our house. We also played tackle football at various fields throughout the neighborhood and area. It was more fun when it got cold outside and the ground in the fields was snow covered or nearly brick hard. I'm amazed to this day that nobody was seriously hurt but I remember no broken bones or concussions [[just a few bloody noses).
Views: 275
    We had a 1946 Canadian Chrysler first, that I remember. My first car was a 1959 Simca [[French car). I've had mostly European and Japanese cars. In summer, we played football in a vacant lot that was covered with grass. It was mowed regularly. From October through April, we [[all the kids in our neighbourhood) played hockey in my family's backyard rink. So, we never really needed to play in the street, other than some roller hockey during the non-freeze half of the year [[but, there were outdoor roller hockey rinks at parks that we used most.

Remember when those back seats in our father's cars looked like sofa's?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember when we would get our hair cut every two weeks like clockwork?
    I still do! Gotta keep those grey hairs at bay.

My father's favorite 60's car was the Bonneville. He had a 1964, '66 and a '69 Bonneville. I remember his Ford Fairlane in the early 60's the Electra 225 shocking blue in 1970 and then another Bonneville in '71. He worked for General Motors! LOL!

My grandfather always have those big buicks,things were built like tanks and to us kids looked like caverns...we loved em!!

My first drivable car was a 1978 Chevy Chevette. I loved that thing. My folks let me take over the payments for $125 per month and I drove it my junior and senior year of high school. One day, my brother called from California [[he was in the Air Force) and while we were talking, he lamented the fact that his cars kept breaking down out there and he couldn't find a reliable ride. For some reason, I boasted how reliable my car was proving to be and [[gosh darn it) if there was only some way to get it out to Riverside from Columbus, I'd let him have it.

"Really?" he says. "Put Mom and Dad on the phone!" And just like that, they arranged for the folks to drive three days west and I gave up my beloved Chevette. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was just kidding. SMH. When I went out to visit him for the first time less than two years later, the Chevette was rusted, broken down, and sitting on blocks.

But my brother knew that I loved him, so I guess there's that...

Great story jerry,i remember my cousin's first car also high school,he had a[1954]ford gop[get out and push]which we did every other block,my uncle made him take that clunker back and get his fifty dollars back,can you believe that we tried to pick up chicks in that thing and got mad when they would laugh...the good ol days!!

For you[nfl]fans,remember the days before monday night football when[frank gifford]did the pregame show alone,and did it well?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    For you[nfl]fans,remember the days before monday night football when[frank gifford]did the pregame show alone,and did it well?
    Yep! You're going wayyyy back, pre- 1970!

Remember when one team was too far behind to win and Dandy Don Meredithv would start singing "turn out the lights, the party's over..."?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yep! You're going wayyyy back, pre- 1970!
Views: 257
    I remember before The NFL had ANY game shown on TV, back before people had TVs in there homes. I remember when The Dallas Texans were in The NFL, and when they moved to Baltimore, to become The Colts, and when Slingin' Sammy Baugh was still playing QB for The Redskins, and when there were only a few "token" African-American players in The NFL, and Bob Waterfield was #1 QB on The L.A. Rams, when they had only been in L.A. for a few years, after having moved there from Cleveland. And I remember when The Braves were still in Boston [[before moving from to Milwaukee), The Athletics were still in Philadelphia, and still managed by Connie Mack [[who started playing in The Major Leagues in 1880), and when The St. Louis Browns were still in St. Louis, before moving to Baltimore, to become The Orioles. And, I remember when The Canadian football League had just changed its name from The Canadian Rugby League. And I remember when Gordie Howe was in his early 20s playing for The Detroit Red Wings, and i remember Rocket Richard, and Sid Abel, and Red Kelly, and when Babe Ruth was still alive, and Satchel Paige playing both for The Cleveland Indians and The St. Louis Browns. And I remember The Negro Leagues, and both Willie Mays and Hank Aaron playing in the minor leagues, and both of them as well as Ernie Banks as rookies. And I'm old enough to have seen many Cub games in the bleachers for 25¢ per game[[same price as a haircut), and popcorn was 5¢.

And I'm old enough to have been alive before the new word spellings were adopted in The Netherlands and Denmark [[1948), which occur about every 100 years or so. The same type of changing to match the spoken word is long overdue in English [[about 1200 years overdue).
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-23-2015 at 05:29 AM.

And now, the top five NFL quarterback makes more than the entire league earned before the merger in 1966. League revenues were $60.8 million in 1969 and the top current player earns well more than $80 million.

And now, the top five NFL quarterback makes more than the entire league earned before the merger in 1966. League revenues were $60.8 million in 1969 and the top current player earns well more than $80 million.
    I know. It's disgusting.

I'm cool with it. I support anybody getting what they can. A lot of people hate it when players sign contracts and then hold out when they have a good season, thinking their old contract is unfair. If they get paid, then they shouldn't care what everybody else thinks. The owners will cut them if they don't take pay cuts following bad seasons, so they don't honor contracts. Screw them.

Professional sports has always been business before entertainment. Jackie Robinson was brought into the league because he was good for the bottom line, not because he was Black. And if the public is so stupid as to pay $200 for a gameday experience for a father and his son to watch a football or basketball game, they aren't the ones to complain that some player is working the hustle well. God bless the players and their crazy loot and God bless that father who got what he paid for.

Remember when we would watch-cowboys an indians on tv....and root for the cowboys?

Remember when kids could play with toy guns without the fear of being shot by police officers? For that matter, remember when you could run the streets until after dark... And you were still in elementary school? I wouldn't let a kid that young out of my sight in 2015.

Remember when kids could play with toy guns without the fear of being shot by police officers? For that matter, remember when you could run the streets until after dark... And you were still in elementary school? I wouldn't let a kid that young out of my sight in 2015.
Views: 248
    Our parents had to drag us into the house for dinner virtually every night after dark. None of us were ever abducted by predators. Our house doors were never locked, and they were often wide open in summer [[except for screens. Mosquitos would have eaten us alive.

Remember when your parents would drop you off at the movies on a Sat. and you'd be there all day watching films like Godzilla vs....... the cartoons and then the movie would be repeated? All for like $0.75 for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 248
    Our parents had to drag us into the house for dinner virtually every night after dark. None of us were ever abducted by predators. Our house doors were never locked, and they were often wide open in summer [[except for screens. Mosquitos would have eaten us alive.
    Now that I remember!

Remember when your parents would drop you off at the movies on a Sat. and you'd be there all day watching films like Godzilla vs....... the cartoons and then the movie would be repeated? All for like $0.75 for kids?
Views: 455
    We walked or rode our bikes, to the movie show. It cost 25¢ for all day Saturday matinee. They played several feature films, and showed lots of serial shorts and cartoons. We brought our own food from home inside.

I do. Our grindhouse was at the old Southern Hotel downtown. I'll never forget the day my Uncle Sam visited from Virginia and asked my brother and me if we ever saw a kung fu movie. Of course we had not at that time, so he took us to see "The Hammer of God" and "Five Fingers of Death". Blood. Gore. Wire stunts. Boobies. We weren't old enough to see them but I was caught up and I love kung fu movies to this very day.

I do. Our grindhouse was at the old Southern Hotel downtown. I'll never forget the day my Uncle Sam visited from Virginia and asked my brother and me if we ever saw a kung fu movie. Of course we had not at that time, so he took us to see "The Hammer of God" and "Five Fingers of Death". Blood. Gore. Wire stunts. Boobies. We weren't old enough to see them but I was caught up and I love kung fu movies to this very day.
    I saw my first kung fu/martial arts movie at the drive-in in Toledo back in the early 70s! LOL! I also saw Dolemite's movie, hehehehehehe

Man, we saw all of those old blaxpoitation flicks at either the drive-in or grindhouse cinemas. Curiously, blood, bullets, revolutionaries, greed, klansmen, swearing, and Pam Grier's big ol' bitties didn't mess me up like parents resource groups would like people to believe.

I think.

Man, we saw all of those old blaxpoitation flicks at either the drive-in or grindhouse cinemas. Curiously, blood, bullets, revolutionaries, greed, klansmen, swearing, and Pam Grier's big ol' bitties didn't mess me up like parents resource groups would like people to believe.

I think.
    Yeah Pam Grier and Tamara Dobson kept things interesting if you know what I mean. LOL

I think.
    You think? LOL!!!!!

Tamara Dobson aka Cleopatra Jones. Six feet and bad.