[REMOVE ADS]

Page 12 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

"Whispering Down The Lane"

Attachment 10522

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa.........i'm on the floor,tsop it my sides are splitting..haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Good one Methuselah2 LOL!!!!

Anybody remember picking out their afros with metal rakes? It was always a good idea to do it yourself because somebody doing it for you was likely to dig into your scalp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Anybody remember picking out their afros with metal rakes? It was always a good idea to do it yourself because somebody doing it for you was likely to dig into your scalp.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  21.1 KB
    I didn't use a "rake". But I did try Dixie Peach Pomade to try to straighten my kinky hair out a bit. Maybe I should also take a DNA test, like Tom Jones?

Here's what my hair looked like back then:

They used to call me "Staplehead"!
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-05-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Oh yeah! I had a few of those. I also had one of those big afro pics with the long teeth. People would walk around with one stuck in the back of their 'fro. They banned them in school, though, because they claimed they could be used as a weapon.

[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh yeah. I remember that particular founding one and others. They could be like torture devices. LOL! You could always tell when a company manufacturing "Picks" knew nothing about African American hair but just wanted to get in on the action. I remember some thick plastic afro pics with the flat and rounded edges that you couldn't even get through your hair let alone puff it out.

Yep,had one of those and the thicker ones too.

Remember when nobody used plastic trash bags and when you had to empty the can with the paper bag the wet stuff would spill all over the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember when nobody used plastic trash bags and when you had to empty the can with the paper bag the wet stuff would spill all over the floor?
Views: 422
    When I was a kid, back in the late 1940s and early 1950s, we burned most of our own trash in an incinerator in the back yard. The city only picked up big objects [[like construction materials and old furniture.

Hey robb,if we had burned trash in our yard back in the day,we would've been incinerated,hehehehe!!!

Views: 403
    I guess no one else here who had kinky hair was old enough to have used Dixie Peach. You're all from the natural and "Afro" era? It was a rumour that Little Richard used it to hold up the pompadour [[upward "spike" in front, atop his forehead).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 403
    I guess no one else here who had kinky hair was old enough to have used Dixie Peach. You're all from the natural and "Afro" era? It was a rumour that Little Richard used it to hold up the pompadour [[upward "spike" in front, atop his forehead).
    Robb, I had a HUGE Afro! My Mom used Dixie Peach way back in the day. Beurgamont was pop around where I grew up. It was like a pomade type hair dressing.

Views: 422
    When I was a kid, back in the late 1940s and early 1950s, we burned most of our own trash in an incinerator in the back yard. The city only picked up big objects [[like construction materials and old furniture.
    My Grandparents did that throughout the sixties because they lived in a rural area.

Views: 490
    I didn't use a "rake". But I did try Dixie Peach Pomade to try to straighten my kinky hair out a bit. Maybe I should also take a DNA test, like Tom Jones?

Here's what my hair looked like back then:

They used to call me "Staplehead"!
    LOL!!!! I want to go dig up my Afro pictures now ,hehehehehehehehe!

Here, I found one of many..........LOL!!!! My Fro' !

Attachment 10607

LOL. That reminds me of the time in the 10th grade when Darrell Griffith, Milt Wagner, and co. were playing for University of Louisville's basketball team. I remember it well because they created a national sensation by wearing their hair short. Within a year, almost every brother I knew was cutting his 'fro down. What's funny is that I recently looked for a photo of Dr. Dunkenstein [[Griffith) from that era and his hair would be considered long by today's standards. Take a peek:

LOL. That reminds me of the time in the 10th grade when Darrell Griffith, Milt Wagner, and co. were playing for University of Louisville's basketball team. I remember it well because they created a national sensation by wearing their hair short. Within a year, almost every brother I knew was cutting his 'fro down. What's funny is that I recently looked for a photo of Dr. Dunkenstein [[Griffith) from that era and his hair would be considered long by today's standards. Take a peek:

I remember them. I cut mine off and slicked what was left back in 1980. The next year came the first time , now dredful JHERI Curl! LOL!

I didn't have a jheri curl. By the time I was 20 years old, I was sporting a high and tight, which transitioned to a flat-top by the time I got married in 1992. Now? I just cut out low and whack it again when I can see the pattern site up on back of my head. I want to shave it but my wife freaks out at the notion.

I didn't have a jheri curl. By the time I was 20 years old, I was sporting a high and tight, which transitioned to a flat-top by the time I got married in 1992. Now? I just cut out low and whack it again when I can see the pattern site up on back of my head. I want to shave it but my wife freaks out at the notion.
    Oh the Jheri Curl only lasted for me from 1981- 83. I had the High Top Philly Fade from 1985-88. This makes me want to go dig through my old pictures. My brother and I use to laugh and say that we had every type of haircut that was popular between oh 1963 and now basically, hehehehehehehehe!

Remember when the brothers would wear stocking caps to get waves?

Remember when the brothers would wear stocking caps to get waves?
    Guys still do that. We use to do that in Jr. High . I did that in college as well.

You mean that guys are tryin to get waves with a bald head,amazin!!!

You mean that guys are tryin to get waves with a bald head,amazin!!!
    They are not completely bald LOL! My brother Matt cuts his hair very short on purpose and the use Sportin' Waves, a brush and the the stocking cap to get his waves. Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh the Jheri Curl only lasted for me from 1981- 83.
    I had mine in late 1982, and again in 1986. 1986 was the last time, though, because this girl I worked with let me know that I looked too pretty. Besides, those hair styles for guys were on their way out, and the more manly hip-hop styles were emerging. Besides, that activator shit was greasy!
    Last edited by soulster; 11-08-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I had mine in late 1992, and again in 1996. 1996 was the last time, though, because this girl I worked with let me know that I looked too pretty. Besides, those hair styles for guys were on their way out, and the more manly hip-hop styles were emerging. Besides, that activator shit was greasy!
    I did notice people out West and in the South [[Atlanta) were still wearing Jheri Curls years and years after we had stopped. I was in Atlanta in 1993 at "Magic City" and the guys parking the cars all had this big Jheri Curls......LOL! My Dad even had one but that was in the 80s.

Y'all are killing me. I lived in Memphis for a year in the mid-90s and it blew my mind that I saw so many jheri curls and gold teeth. I thought that I was caught in a scene from "Boyz N Da Hood" because a lot of the hairstyles had played out five years earlier in the Midwest. I was hopelessly out of place in the deep South by the way and brought my square butt back home quickly.

Y'all are killing me. I lived in Memphis for a year in the mid-90s and it blew my mind that I saw so many jheri curls and gold teeth. I thought that I was caught in a scene from "Boyz N Da Hood" because a lot of the hairstyles had played out five years earlier in the Midwest. I was hopelessly out of place in the deep South by the way and brought my square butt back home quickly.
    I was trying to be polite. You see on the East Coast & Upper Midwest they would call that "country" LOL! Remember that family of characters in Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America"?

I was trying to be polite. You see on the East Coast & Upper Midwest they would call that "country" LOL! Remember that family of characters in Eddie Murphy's "Coming to America"?

Don't forget the gangster named Jheri Curl in "Hollywood Shuffle".

hehehehehehehe, you're good Jerry! LOL!

Don't forget the gangster named Jheri Curl in "Hollywood Shuffle".

Thanks for reminding me! I gotta get this on blu-ray!

I did notice people out West and in the South [[Atlanta) were still wearing Jheri Curls years and years after we had stopped. I was in Atlanta in 1993 at "Magic City" and the guys parking the cars all had this big Jheri Curls......LOL! My Dad even had one but that was in the 80s.
    Oops! I meant 1982 and 86!

I'll fix my post now.

I'll fix my post now.
    Good because I was wondering, who could you find to do one for you in the 90s , hehehehehehe!

I'll fix my post now.
    I'm laughing out loud into my tablet as I'm reading this! I didn't want to say anything for fear of being rude, but my whole impression of you changed when I imagined you with Soul Glo dripping from the hair in the 90s. The first thought after reading that post was "really?!"

I'm laughing out loud into my tablet as I'm reading this! I didn't want to say anything for fear of being rude, but my whole impression of you changed when I imagined you with Soul Glo dripping from the hair in the 90s. The first thought after reading that post was "really?!"
    Hah! I'm glad you did say something! I never would have caught it in time to edit it.

I didn't use Soul Glo. I used that stuff in the yellow bottle, Soft Sheen.

Exactly! LOL!!!!

Hah! I'm glad you did say something! I never would have caught it in time to edit it.

I didn't use Soul Glo. I used that stuff in the yellow bottle, Soft Sheen.
    Wasn't it TCB in the yellow bottle. That stuff that came in pink bottle I can't remember the name. My ex sister in law is a beautician , so my brother and I were sorta like her guinea pigs when new stuff came out. LOL!

Soul Glo was that commercial they played in "Coming To America". Still one of my favorite movies of all time. Eddie Murphy has wasted his talent.

My nephew did not know that we wore cornrows in the 70s until I showed him a picture lol

Hey marv,we thought that we were the first to wear bellbottoms in the seventies...til my father showed us a pic of him in the thirties with em...all we said was wow!!!

Man, we had almost as many hairstyles then as we do now. I remember friends who wore shags, cornrows, naturals, blowouts, processes, and pressed their hair. A decade later brought curls, fades, high and tights, high tops, and the first bald heads. I wore mine high and tight with a trimmed-in part on the right side.

One of the highlights of my existence in the 80s was my trip to the barber shop, which was exactly like those stereotypical places portrayed in films. The $4 that I paid for a haircut brought more entertainment and laughs than I got from anywhere else back then. My barbers were Coop and George and those brothers were off the hook.

Hey jerry,until the early[2000's]i still got a cut for[$5.00]no lie,well the barber retired [after fifty years in the same location]well i went to a new age shop[hiphop music and barbers under twenty five]and mentioned the five dollar cut and almost got laughed outta the place.

Hey marv,we thought that we were the first to wear bellbottoms in the seventies...til my father showed us a pic of him in the thirties with em...all we said was wow!!!
    I always knew sailors wore then a 100 years earlier, but did not know guys wore them in 30s, wow!

Most fashion is just reissued stuff with new lables.

Bell bottoms? Remember elephant leg pants?

And don't forget window pane blue jeans...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...hey jerry i still got a pair,but my wife won't let me wear em...i never have any fun!!!

Remember-banlon shirts?

Remember-banlon shirts?
    Yep! I had one like this that was black, white and gray....

Attachment 10694

Remember Nehru Jackets?

Attachment 10695