[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Horn & Hardart's Menu - 1959
    The food was delicious & the portions generous.
    When I look at the menu now, it just doesn't seem possible--but it was!

Attachment 10017

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember putting the cards in the spokes as well as a balloon [[louder, at least until they burst) to make it obvious when I was riding by. And I remember sissy bars on old Stingray bikes. Stingrays look so funny nowadays. For some reason, I only see old stoner looking dudes on them instead of kids.
    here's one with a sissy bar, hand brakes, and gears. These bikes look fugly now.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    it's it just me, out did kids seem to enjoy the simplest things back in the day more than they do now? My mom would cut holes in paper bags and we would put our heads and arms through them and walk around playing "robot" for an hour. I wonder if kids still play tag or hide-and-go-seek these days. I've seen them have meltdowns when they aren't given $59 for a brand new video game.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey jerry,if you see a kid with a paper bag over his head today,he's robbing a store.

The bags were over our whole bodies. Tells you that was a long time ago, eh?

Remember when [am]was all you got on the radio?

I Remember When [[Dedicated to Beverly) - Ivy Jo...oops, sorry, wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember when [am]was all you got on the radio?
    There was always one classical FM station, though. That all changed for me around 1973, when pop stations started to shift to the FM band.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    There was always one classical FM station, though. That all changed for me around 1973, when pop stations started to shift to the FM band.
    For us it started in early 1971 when FM stations in Michigan and Ohio started switching to album/rock formats. We did have a R&B station on FM as far back as 1965 called WKLR.

The bags were over our whole bodies. Tells you that was a long time ago, eh?
    Shit, we use to steal my mom's clean bath towels, tie them around our neck and jump off the back stairs playing "Superman"! LOL!!!!!1

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,marv we all did that,you guys are babes in the woods talking bout[one fm station]nope not in da hood,heck we were lucky to get[am].

And how many of you remember THIS?

I remember the Black kids and White kids arguing in our high school art class over which station the tuner should be set to play. Finally, the teacher said that he'd alternate between the AOR and R&B stations. Then my friend Loren talked him into making one of the R&B days a day for Jazz, which I couldn't stand. So, we got to listen to the R&B station no more than twice per week and often listened to the Rock station three times...

Long story made short: in the 37 years since then, I'm as big a fan of '60s and '70s era Rock as I am of R&B and a full third of my music collection is Jazz. I wonder why I resisted in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post

Oh Gawd yes!LOL! That and the playing of the national anthem just before sign-off at night.

I remember the Black kids and White kids arguing in our high school art class over which station the tuner should be set to play. Finally, the teacher said that he'd alternate between the AOR and R&B stations. Then my friend Loren talked him into making one of the R&B days a day for Jazz, which I couldn't stand. So, we got to listen to the R&B station no more than twice per week and often listened to the Rock station three times...

Long story made short: in the 37 years since then, I'm as big a fan of '60s and '70s era Rock as I am of R&B and a full third of my music collection is Jazz. I wonder why I resisted in the first place?

Jerry growing up in Toledo and Detroit [[and Windsor) we all have the chance to hear R&B, Rock and Pop music equally through a Canadian station called CKLW. One of the reasons Bob Seger and the Guess Who are two of my all time favorites is because of growing up with that station!

Remember when those[19in.]tv consoles were the coolest things going?

Remember when HBO first came on and it didn't broadcast its first movie of the day until 5:00 PM? It went off at 1:00 AM or so.

As a child, one of the local TV stations went off the air at 2am. But before they did, they'd show the FBI posters of the 10 most wanted criminals in the country. Used to scare me to death. But whenever I was awake at that time, I still watched it. Go figure.

I remember something close to it.

It was always an eerie feeling when all of the stations signed off at around 1:00 AM on weeknights. It was like the world disappeared, and was a subtle reminder that I should be in bed!

On weekends and holidays, though, we were allowed to stay up all night, and by that time, we had cable, and had access to the major California indie stations like KTTV, KHJ, and KTLA, and some other station from Oakland. I got into liking old B&W films from the 40s, and those endless Cal Worthington and his dog Spot commercials.

Having KTTV in the early 70s allowed us to see Soul Train every Saturday afternoon right from the KTTV studios. I later found out that most of the rest of the country didn't have it so good when it came to Soul Train. They either didn't show it, or, if they did, they buried it at 1 AM.
    Last edited by soulster; 09-17-2015 at 09:57 AM.

When I was in elementary school in the early 70s, we could bring in our own 45s and play them on the record player on days when we had music class, and the teacher didn't have anything planned, or on rainy days. Those of us who brought in records had pop/soul records. No one liked country! Whew!

In high school in the late 70s, I had one high school class that had a stereo in it. One of the English teachers who also taught marriage had one in the room, and we'd get to listen to it during study time. So, we got a nice mixture of stuff with no country, thank god!

We also had a stereo in the band room hooked to big Peavey monitors, and we'd put it on during non-class hours. We got off lucky because we only had one top 40 station, and NO ONE wanted to hear country. Everyone was happy in that respect. If we wanted to hear anything else, usually jazz, hard rock, or R&B i'd bring in, we could play that too.

Of course, in those days, a lot of guys brought their boom boxes to school and played their own music, usually funk music like Parliament/Funkadelic, Brick, Bootsy, and Bar-Kays. White kids had their Pink Floyd, Queen, Styx, and whatever else they liked. I really liked rock back then, but just wasn't really into it. The only rock album I bought in the 70s was ELO's Greatest Hits. It wasn't until after high school that I caught up on all that stuff I ignored before, starting with Van Halen and The Beatles.

Remember when HBO first came on and it didn't broadcast its first movie of the day until 5:00 PM? It went off at 1:00 AM or so.
    We got it in 1977. I wasn't too impressed, though. I just wasn't big into movies at that stage. But, I did like the Playboy Channel. In those days, they didn't scramble the signal for those who didn't want it.

Remember when those[19in.]tv consoles were the coolest things going?
    Yes I remember. But the coolest things where those nearly block long stereo consoles with the fake wood cabinet and the 8 track players built in. hehehehehehehehe............

Attachment 10051

Attachment 10052
    Last edited by marv2; 09-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.

I remember having to go to bed at 9:00 PM. We used to want to stay up to watch "The Invaders" or "The Fugitive", but only got to see the intro if we were lucky. Mom finally relented and let my brother and me stay up to watch Monday Night Football, so long as we made sure to take our baths and keep up our grades.

I remember having to go to bed at 9:00 PM. We used to want to stay up to watch "The Invaders" or "The Fugitive", but only got to see the intro if we were lucky. Mom finally relented and let my brother and me stay up to watch Monday Night Football, so long as we made sure to take our baths and keep up our grades.
    Wow~! Both of them were favorite shows of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    yes i remember. But the coolest things where those nearly block long stereo consoles with the fake wood cabinet and the 8 track players built in. Hehehehehehehehe............

Attachment 10051

Attachment 10052
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...that's it we had one just like it.

Remember those cluch cargo cartoons with the human mouth?

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...that's it we had one just like it.
    Yep we did too.....from Montgomery Ward's! LOL! It had the 8 track player built into ours. That's what we had in the early 70's. Now the one we had from the 60's was a Sears model. Not quite as big as the thing above, but played and sounded much better. it is still in my parents basement.

'Clutch' was fine. But he was no 'Flash Gordon'. Or 'Ming the Merciless', for that matter.

Attachment 10055
    Attachment 10056

For some perhaps, the real day the music died.

Attachment 10057

I remember listening to the radio for updates of the Muhammad Ali/Joe Frazier fight [[March 8, 1971). I was a huge Frazier fan - even at age 9 - and that fight was one of the first shown on closed-circuit [[live on movie screens), which meant that we couldn't watch it. It was a school night and I lay wide awake for the updates every three minutes.

I remember listening to the radio for updates of the Muhammad Ali/Joe Frazier fight [[March 8, 1971). I was a huge Frazier fan - even at age 9 - and that fight was one of the first shown on closed-circuit [[live on movie screens), which meant that we couldn't watch it. It was a school night and I lay wide awake for the updates every three minutes.
    I was in the 5th grade during the time of that fight in March of 1971. I had a TV in my bedroom and the first thing I did when I woke up the morning after was turn on the TV to hear about the fight. It was on the Today Show I learned that Ali had lost. I actually cried! I did not want to go to school that day LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yep we did too.....from Montgomery Ward's! LOL! It had the 8 track player built into ours. That's what we had in the early 70's. Now the one we had from the 60's was a Sears model. Not quite as big as the thing above, but played and sounded much better. it is still in my parents basement.
    The one we had was built in 1961, and it had FM radio.

Who had one of these?

And am I the only one who STILL has her parent's Magnavox stereo WITH the 8track player that you spoke of?

Also STILL have the 1960 Magnavox stereo downstairs, and it still plays ALL formats...

Who had one of these?

And am I the only one who STILL has her parent's Magnavox stereo WITH the 8track player that you spoke of?

Also STILL have the 1960 Magnavox stereo downstairs, and it still plays ALL formats...
    I did, I did until it fell off my bicycle handle bars and broke! LOL! I had much cheaper transistor radios too.

I had one of those radios when I was four years old.

Wow your's had[am-fm]mine only had[am]....who knew???

Remember when "grass" was just a plant grown to cover lawns and "weed" was only a plant that grew where you didn't want it to?

Remember when a gentleman could hold a door open for a lady without being labelled as sexist?

Remember when a stranger could help up a child who had fallen over without worrying that he might be suspected of being a pervert?

Remember when people still said "Merry Christmas" instead of "Seasons Greetings"?

Remember when you could make a harmless joke such as "Did you hear about the Indian cloakroom attendant, Mahatma Coat?" without being accused of being a racist?

Remember when the USA and the UK really did have a special relationship?

I sure do...remember when you could go into a business and actually speak to the manager about employment and he would actually call you back.

Remember those classic[blue light]in the basement parties[8pm-midnight]and at five of twelve the lights would flicker meaning[last dance].

Remember those classic[blue light]in the basement parties[8pm-midnight]and at five of twelve the lights would flicker meaning[last dance].
    Oooh yeah! The slow grind, the thumb motion, back bending of the girls and girls that did the old "booty - green" to............."let you know"! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when people still said "Merry Christmas" instead of "Seasons Greetings"?

Remember when you could make a harmless joke such as "Did you hear about the Indian cloakroom attendant, Mahatma Coat?" without being accused of being a racist?
    The good old days weren't always so good.

Remember reading "the tracks on this album were recorded at a state-of-the-art 16 track facility" in the liner notes?
    Or putting a penny on your turntable arm?
    Or recording a five minute song on a cassette and having the sucker skip with 20 seconds left?
    Or making your mix tape when somebody with concrete bricks for feet came walking across the floor?
    Or the smell of freshly opened vinyl albums?
    Or the frustration of finding out that even though there was very little information on the dust jacket, there was no supplementary information inside [[talking to you, MCA records!)?
    How about when you discovered MTV [[when it was still fun and videos were interesting)?
    Remember the excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band on the radio?

Remember when guys were called[cats]and girls were[chicks]and a[hoe]was a tool used in the yard and a[bitch]was the neighbors female dog.

Remember reading "the tracks on this album were recorded at a state-of-the-art 16 track facility" in the liner notes?
    I remember reading the liner notes of an Eagles or Linda Ronstadt album and it saying that ir was recorded on an MCI console or used the Aphex Aural Exciter, neither of which sounded very good, IMO.

Or putting a penny on your turntable arm?
    No way in hell would I ever do that today!

Or recording a five minute song on a cassette and having the sucker skip with 20 seconds left?
    Or having the tape run out just maybe ten seconds of the song left. Or, trying to calculate the end so you could pick a shorter song, or do some fancy editing with the pause button, if your machine was precise enough.

Or making your mix tape when somebody with concrete bricks for feet came walking across the floor?
    My stereo was in a room with a cement foundation.

Or the smell of freshly opened vinyl albums?
    Or, the warm smell of a freshly recorded reel-to-reel tape.

Or the frustration of finding out that even though there was very little information on the dust jacket, there was no supplementary information inside [[talking to you, MCA records!)?
    Back in the 80s, both CBS and MCA made reissues that were skimpy on packaging to get to a lower price point. They did it in the CD age, too.

How about when you discovered MTV [[when it was still fun and videos were interesting)?
    Remember the excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band on the radio?
    We got MTV on January 2, 1984, just in time for endless rotation of Van Halen's "Jump". Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I remember reading the liner notes of an Eagles or Linda Ronstadt album and it saying that ir was recorded on an MCI console or used the Aphex Aural Exciter, neither of which sounded very good, IMO.

No way in hell would I ever do that today!

Or having the tape run out just maybe ten seconds of the song left. Or, trying to calculate the end so you could pick a shorter song, or do some fancy editing with the pause button, if your machine was precise enough.

My stereo was in a room with a cement foundation.

Or, the warm smell of a freshly recorded reel-to-reel tape.

Back in the 80s, both CBS and MCA made reissues that were skimpy on packaging to get to a lower price point. They did it in the CD age, too.

We got MTV on January 2, 1984, just in time for endless rotation of Van Halen's "Jump". Yay.
    I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv.

I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv.
    That's true. I love life and have a lot of great memories. I thank God I grew up in era that I did!

IMO, I don't think we talk about this stuff enough around here. I remember two or three years ago starting a thread about what kind of stereo the members have, and half of the ones that did bother to respond got hostile. Maybe they listen on Crossleys.

Hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt Sony receiver. Living with shared walls, I can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so I bought one that I can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so I can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old Marantz 4240 that I bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components I plugged into it [[a Sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band Realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; I was never an audiophile, just a music fan...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 09-21-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt Sony receiver. Living with shared walls, I can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so I bought one that I can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so I can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old Marantz 4240 that I bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components I plugged into it [[a Sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band Realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; I was never an audiophile, just a music fan...
    I'm not laughing. Lots of audiophiles love those old Marantz units.

Just a warning: if you ever move to a house again, buy a more powerful receiver. You will blow your speakers driving them with such an underpowered amp playing it loud.

Thanks for the advice. But still living at home as a young adult back then, I seldom played it very loud. The speakers went out because they were super generic and quite old. Pops bought his first receiver and speakers off the back of a truck and they were cheap enough that the woofers blew with just a little juice. It was a good enough excuse for me to buy some JBLs that were better for the stereo's sound at the volume that I played.

Thanks for the advice. But still living at home as a young adult back then, I seldom played it very loud. The speakers went out because they were super generic and quite old. Pops bought his first receiver and speakers off the back of a truck and they were cheap enough that the woofers blew with just a little juice. It was a good enough excuse for me to buy some JBLs that were better for the stereo's sound at the volume that I played.
    Ha! He actually bought them from a "white van" [[as it's generally called)??? They are usually knock-offs not worth a damn in either quality or sound. Never do that!