[REMOVE ADS]

Page 73 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23 63 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,650 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

In the late 60s and 70s, us kids' example of a gaming system [[PS5, X Box) was UNO cards, checkers or backgammon!

One of the best nights of my life was when I was around 12 years old and my parents went to a Saturday night ball. They ordered a pizza and left my big sister in charge of my brother, my cousin Junior and me. We watched It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World until 11:00 PM and then played Monopoly until one or two o'clock. No video games. No cell phones or internet. No cable TV, just four kids [[my sister was 15) having fun being kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    One of the best nights of my life was when I was around 12 years old and my parents went to a Saturday night ball. They ordered a pizza and left my big sister in charge of my brother, my cousin Junior and me. We watched It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World until 11:00 PM and then played Monopoly until one or two o'clock. No video games. No cell phones or internet. No cable TV, just four kids [[my sister was 15) having fun being kids.
    Dope, Jer! I STILL watch Mad World!! Love the frenetic energy!! Dom DeLuise, etc.

Movies were so much better back in the day. I can't imagine a comparable cast of today's performers to what that movie put on screen. Spencer Tracy was actually great in a comedy! Of course, one of my favorite comedies was Blazing Saddles, a movie that couldn't even be made in 2020. It was Mel Brooks' magnum opus.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    one of the best nights of my life was when i was around 12 years old and my parents went to a saturday night ball. They ordered a pizza and left my big sister in charge of my brother, my cousin junior and me. We watched it's a mad, mad, mad, mad world until 11:00 pm and then played monopoly until one or two o'clock. No video games. No cell phones or internet. No cable tv, just four kids [[my sister was 15) having fun being kids.
    you ain't never lied,those classic golden days are what happy memories are made of...i remember being five and my aunt left me with my uncle while she went to the store,now unk being a good soul let me sample some of his hooch,man we were staggering around and having a good time until auntie came home and almost killed him...my favorite uncle was never allowed to baby sit me after that,i wonder why??? The good ol days!!!

That explains a few things...

that explains a few things...
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

Have you noticed that most of the regular guests, broadcasting from home, now have vases of fresh flowers, usually right over their shoulder, strategically placed on a bookshelf? I like to identify their flowers or houseplants -- whether the orchids are fake or real. Of course, if they have authored a book, it is prominently displayed in view.

I also enjoy seeing fireplaces and kitchens. I try to envision what the rest of the
    house might look like.
    Last edited by 9A; 02-02-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9A View Post
    Have you noticed that most of the regular guests, broadcasting from home, now have vases of fresh flowers, usually right over their shoulder, strategically placed on a bookshelf? I like to identify their flowers or houseplants -- whether the orchids are fake or real. Of course, if they have authored a book, it is prominently displayed in view.

I also enjoy seeing fireplaces and kitchens. I try to envision what the rest of the
    house might look like.
    I find myself reading the spines/jackets of the books!

Hah! I try to read the names of the books too to get a feel for what they want me to see about their interests. You know all of that has been carefully organized. There are now cops telling people to be careful about what they let people see. They showed Dr. Fauci for example and I think he had something relating to Ohio State's hockey team behind him. They said that a good crook can use details like that [[if he can get enough) to scam unsuspecting folks. Some people are wise and use fake backgrounds, which I think is neat.

REMENDS ME OF THE INTERVIEW GRADY DID YEARS AGO...[of course it was from his jail cell]BUT HE FIXED IT UP REAL NICE WITH SOME OF HIS INFAMOUS RECEIPES SCRALLED ON THE WALL BEHIND HIM....[that interview was never shown for reasons of public health]OF COURSE THAT DIDN'T STOP GRADY FROM SELLING THE BOOTLEG DVD'S FOR A BUCK EACH AFTER HE GOT OUT!!

This morning on Morning Joe, Jason Johnson, a frequent political analyst and all-around good guy, had Cicely Tyson's new book, Just As I Am, proudly displayed on a shelf behind him during the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    REMENDS ME OF THE INTERVIEW GRADY DID YEARS AGO...[of course it was from his jail cell]BUT HE FIXED IT UP REAL NICE WITH SOME OF HIS INFAMOUS RECEIPES SCRALLED ON THE WALL BEHIND HIM....[that interview was never shown for reasons of public health]OF COURSE THAT DIDN'T STOP GRADY FROM SELLING THE BOOTLEG DVD'S FOR A BUCK EACH AFTER HE GOT OUT!!
    They actually let Grady out? What a terrible indictment of the US justice system!

All the witnesses were too sick to testify!

Remember when a lady would walk past,and all you could do was talk about her-great legs, because that's as much as she would show?

All the witnesses were too sick to testify!
    I remember that! The prosecutor really regretted advising them to spill their guts. I heard he had to bury his pants and shoes after that first day in court.

Remember when a lady would walk past,and all you could do was talk about her-great legs, because that's as much as she would show?
    Now, they show a lot more and you'll get in trouble for noticing it.

I think I'm the last man in town who still takes his hat off in elevators in the presence of women. I also let them off first. And it still amazes me that young men [[and old ones, too) don't walk on the street side while walking down the sidewalk with women. I guess societal manners went by the wayside when it became kosher to have a dozen babies by a dozen men and a dozen by a dozen women.

Now, they show a lot more and you'll get in trouble for noticing it.

I think I'm the last man in town who still takes his hat off in elevators in the presence of women. I also let them off first. And it still amazes me that young men [[and old ones, too) don't walk on the street side while walking down the sidewalk with women. I guess societal manners went by the wayside when it became kosher to have a dozen babies by a dozen men and a dozen by a dozen women.
    I guess it's just you and me, Jer! I also still take off my hat indoors. Offer seat to ladies on public transportation and call older ones by last name: usually Miss or Ma'am. Bronx-bred!!

i remember that! The prosecutor really regretted advising them to spill their guts. I heard he had to bury his pants and shoes after that first day in court.
    now jerry,you know that it ain't ever that simple with grady...special agents in hasmat suits were brought in and everyone within a ten mile radius of the courthouse had to be moved to a secret location far-far-far away...some of em never returned!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I guess it's just you and me, Jer! I also still take off my hat indoors. Offer seat to ladies on public transportation and call older ones by last name: usually Miss or Ma'am. Bronx-bred!!
    Birds of a feather, I guess. I insist on referring to my elders by "Mister" and "Miss". Of course, the list of "elders" is growing smaller. Heck, there's a guy my age who recently became ordained as a minister in my church and I no longer refer to him as Johnny, preferring to call him Rev. Sutter [[names are fake, BTW). It's not difficult to be respectful. Curiously, I've never had a younger person call me Mister so I guess those days are gone.

Makes me think about this song, which was a unique collaboration between reggae band Third World and Thom Bell [[it sounds like a Thom Bell song):

If you borrowed something from a nieghbor,you returned it in the same shape as you borrowed it as soon as you finished using it...remember when our dads would get mad they would utter...damn sam!

That makes me think of something else. If you borrow money from me and I have to ask for it back, you already got the last loan from me. Now, I never lend more than I can afford to give away. I'll still love you, I just won't trust you anymore.

And even when an older person says: 'No call me...' With ingrained "home training " still bristle! What about when "my word is bond" actually meant something?! A handshake sealed a promise? Edith Bunker said it best, "Those were the days. "

That makes me think of something else. If you borrow money from me and I have to ask for it back, you already got the last loan from me. Now, I never lend more than I can afford to give away. I'll still love you, I just won't trust you anymore.
    Jerry, if you lend me any money, I'll be forever in your debt

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Jerry, if you lend me any money, I'll be forever in your debt
    Thanks for the warning.

Do you remember when your memory was good enough to enable you to enter a really obscure song title on the forum's Word Association thread without your having to check if you'd got the name of the artist who originally recorded it right?...or is it just me who has to do that?

I get roughly 50% of my titles for that thread by checking Windows Media Center. If I had wax for all of the music I have on my laptop, it would literally fill an entire room.

Remember when you had to actually take time to cue your music? Whether dropping the needle on the track, fast forwarding/rewinding your cassettes, taking weeks to find it on reel-to-reel or taking your chances with 8-track, it always took manual effort.

Now? I can find any one of probably 40,000 songs in a few seconds. Heck, i can create a 24 hour playlist in less than 15 minutes. We live in a rotten era but it has its advantages.

jerry, if you lend me any money, i'll be forever in your debt
    jerry's lending out money?? Oh boy!!!

It's Monopoly money and I'm charging interest. So if you've got collateral, slip on by and get you some.

Do you remember when your memory was good enough to enable you to enter a really obscure song title on the forum's Word Association thread without your having to check if you'd got the name of the artist who originally recorded it right?...or is it just me who has to do that?
    Ha. I have to check Wikipedia to see if I got the song title right. I remember lyrics to many of the oldies, but the song titles are re-purposed over the years. Over and over. It oughta be a crime. Sometimes one teeny word like "on" will be added or deleted. I like to add the year for some frame of reference -- rarely from the last three decades. I also see who charted with it. Sometimes it is surprising.

I like to test Ralph -- I will name a song and he will have to name the artist who popularized it. He is right 99 % of the time. It's amazing. He sometimes says that he used to play it in his band[[s). Of course, naming Bing Crosby is a cop out. Is there anything he didn't record?
    Last edited by 9A; 02-09-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Ha. I have to check Wikipedia to see if I got the song title right. I remember lyrics to many of the oldies, but the song titles are re-purposed over the years. Over and over. It outa be a crime. Sometimes one teeny word like "on" will be added or deleted. I like to add the year for some frame of reference -- rarely from the last three decades. I also see who charted with it. Sometimes it is surprising.

I like to test Ralph -- I will name a song and he will have to name the artist who popularized it. He is right 99 % of the time. It's amazing. He sometimes says that he used to play it in his band[[s). Of course, naming Bing Crosby is a cop out. Is there anything he didn't record?
    Using Sound Hound app to get the name/artist of that dope tune on the food court pa in the mall?

I just love the Amazon Prime commercial with Chuck Berry singing "It Wasn't Me Baby," but I wish they would play more. Lots of food. Sometimes I go to Youtube to hear the rest of it.

Ha. I have to check Wikipedia to see if I got the song title right. I remember lyrics to many of the oldies, but the song titles are re-purposed over the years. Over and over. It oughta be a crime. Sometimes one teeny word like "on" will be added or deleted. I like to add the year for some frame of reference -- rarely from the last three decades. I also see who charted with it. Sometimes it is surprising.

That reminds me of when a group called Klique remade Jackie Wilson's Doggin' Around but renamed it Stop Doggin' Me Around. It was a very respectful and well-done cover but renaming it never set well with a lot of people, including me. It's the first thing I think of when I hear their version.

It's Monopoly money and I'm charging interest. So if you've got collateral, slip on by and get you some.
    HEY JERRY,I'M GONNA LET YOU IN ON THIS GOOD INVESTMENT THAT I'M GONNA MAKE WITH THE LOAN FROM YOU...NOW NOT MANY FOLKS KNOW ABOUT THIS GOLDMINE...YES IT'S AN ACTUAL GOLDMINE,LOCATED WAY DOWN AT THE BOTTOM END OF DA HOOD...[even Grady don't know about this one]NOW NO GOLD HAS BEEN FOUND YET BUT IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE WE'RE ROLLING IN THE DOUGH...[i hope??]THE PROSPECTOR WHO FOUND IT CLAIMS THAT IT HAD A GOLD TOOTH IN THE WALL..REAL GOLD NONE OF THE FOOLS GOLD STUFF,ANY DAY NOW JERRY...ANY DAY NOW AND YOU CAN RETIRE A RICH MAN...DON'T THANK ME JUST YET...GOTTA GO TAKE A LOOK AT THAT GOLD TOOTH!!

Ladies,please don't kill me for saying this,but i remember when there were no women on the sidelines of pro sports...just sayin!!

Remember when you could tell your folks that you were going to the movies with the gang,and they didn't give it a second thought ?[if your chores were done,hehe]unlike today,where they would check to see if the film was ok for kids.

Remember when the worst words you would hear on tv were-gosh darn it?

Remember when racism from politicians was met with a rebuke that was harsh enough to run them out of office? We now have a party full of racists so bad that they're making sure Black people don't have the ability to vote. I'm betting our republic is in its last decade.

Ladies,please don't kill me for saying this,but i remember when there were no women on the sidelines of pro sports...just sayin!!
    I'm old-fashioned I guess. I wince when I see women referees or managers of all male teams. Sorry, ladies. Well, maybe lady sportscasters are okay.
    Last edited by 9A; 03-27-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Remember when racism from politicians was met with a rebuke that was harsh enough to run them out of office? We now have a party full of racists so bad that they're making sure Black people don't have the ability to vote. I'm betting our republic is in its last decade.
    This voting situation has me sick to my stomach. At my age, maybe I won't live
    to see the end of democracy. Something HAS to be done. I can't wait. Can we
    simply give the voters citizenship in a blue state? Maybe we can hand each voter
    some bottles of water before they get in line and tell them to pass them down -- or is that outlawed, too?

There was a report on BBC news yesterday that Georgia was passing legislation to stop water being handed out to lines at polling stations.

Yes, but it isn't over yet!!! ["It isn't over till the fat lady sings" -- no offense intended.]

Yo, I’m with George...

Name:  1FD7CACB-6E24-40AE-88EB-0FB3BA578295.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  18.8 KB

GREAT!!! Let's have a crowd of celebrities out there. But there are not enough
    polling locations or reasonable hours or reasonable absentee registration.
    They get more and more creatively wicked.

[Ralph and I posted on Facebook. Thanks.]
    Last edited by 9A; 03-28-2021 at 12:22 PM.

No problem! Let's make it go viral!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    No problem! Let's make it go viral!

We each posted for mosty separate groups of "friends." Let's see if Facebook
    takes it down. I have 58 and Ralph has 514.

Not just that, but the state legislature now has the right to replace any county's election board if the legislature decides the board didn't do its job the way it should. In the last election, that means that the Fulton County board that certified Atlanta's votes would have been replaced with another one that would have thrown them out. Arizona's passing a similar law. And Michigan is doing stuff just as bad. There are 40 states that are currently restricting voting access. The only way to mitigate it is for Congress to act and the GQP isn't on board for fair elections.

You are right. This has become a cancer. The Federal Government has to intercede.
    It is a runaway train.

Remember your first kiss?...and your mom wondering why you walked around for a week with that silly grin on your face!

Remember when grocery carts had no child seats? If your kid didn't walk then you had to carry em or sit em in the cart.