[REMOVE ADS]

Page 50 of 77 FirstFirst ... 40 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 60 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 14449
    It was still around in the 1990s. But, I don't think they make it any more, unless they use it to anchor bricks together!
    Robb, Dixie Peach hair dressing [[I guess that was the formal name) was something straight out of the 1940s and 50s. They advertised in the old magazines etc.

Attachment 14450
    Once my full hair came in [[a few months old?) I've always worn my hair the same length, fairly short [[a couple inches).

Since age 6 or so [[last almost 70 years), I've worn the same uniform [[baseball cap, T-shirt, blue jeans, white athletic socks, and sneakers/tennis shoes/trainers). That only differed for very short periods, like the one year I was actually an employee [[an engineering company), where I had to wear a suit everyday. I nipped THAT in the bud, by becoming an independent consultant on 3rd World projects, and working for Native American and First Nation Tribal governments in Canada and USA, all of which allowed me to wear my T-shirt and jeans, except for a day or two of first client meetings.

Of course, in winter in Canada and northern US, I had to wear a few layers and a winter coat over my "uniform". Spending summers in The Netherlands as a youth, I was easily identifiable as a North American, despite speaking Dutch, because of my baseball cap. Or else, people thought I was eccentric at a young age, because absolutely no one else [[except maybe US GIs in Germany) ever wore them. Traveling in Europe as a teenager was the same. Same when I moved to The Netherlands in 1972. Finally, during the early 2000s, men and boys started wearing baseball caps in Europe. But, nobody over 30 did. So, I was still thought of as as an eccentric upon first sight, as old men in Europe would never wear such a thing. Of course, after people met me they found out I was a LOT more eccentric than they even guessed [[but for other reasons ).

Nowadays, even some crotchety old men here wear them, so I don't stand out as much. Now they think I'm just one of a group of eccentric old men, who want to recapture their youths. So, they finally followed me, and I can consider myself, loosely, a trend setter!
    Robb, a suit and tie has been my "uniform" most of my working life. In the early 00s, when being allowed to work from home, I didn't have to wear one everyday. My first job I had to wear one even if it was my day off and I wanted to just top into the office to pick up something!

I have noticed that even retirees and some VERY senior guys in nursing homes wear baseball caps in America. My grandfather and his friends wore them all the time when I would see him in summer. He wore a dress hat whenever he wore a suit though. Culture can seem strange, but it is also a lot of fun to me in many ways. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, a suit and tie has been my "uniform" most of my working life. In the early 00s, when being allowed to work from home, I didn't have to wear one everyday. My first job I had to wear one even if it was my day off and I wanted to just top into the office to pick up something!

I have noticed that even retirees and some VERY senior guys in nursing homes wear baseball caps in America. My grandfather and his friends wore them all the time when I would see him in summer. He wore a dress hat whenever he wore a suit though. Culture can seem strange, but it is also a lot of fun to me in many ways. LOL!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  21.1 KB
    I did wear a "stingey-brim" with a small feather in it for a few years, in last year of high school and first year of collage, when I went out, at night. And I carried around a "Ghetto Blaster" also for a couple years.

My first work suit was a three-piece, with a fancy vest [[silk back). It was hotter than Hell, to wear all that in more than 45 degrees or so. So, I quickly dropped the vest and didn't wear my coat unless we had a client meeting, or a meeting with the big bosses. That all drove me to become an independent consultant, and, eventually, to become a free-lance cartoonist!
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-18-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Robb, Dixie Peach hair dressing [[I guess that was the formal name) was something straight out of the 1940s and 50s. They advertised in the old magazines etc.
Views: 372
    Lots of people I knew still used it all through the 1960s. You can just play old WVON, WDIA, KGFJ and KDIA DJ soundchecks, and hear the adverts.

Lots of people I knew still used it all through the 1960s. You can just play old WVON, WDIA, KGFJ and KDIA DJ soundchecks, and hear the adverts.

I checked on line, and they still sell both Dixie Peach, and Royal Crown. But they have new label styles on the jars.

i remember putting vitalis in my hair in grade school. It made my hair feel like wire or steel wool lol!
    vitalis-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,marv you're crazier than me,that stuff wasn't made with[brothers] in mind-hehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    vitalis-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,marv you're crazier than me,that stuff wasn't made with[brothers] in mind-hehehehe!!!
    Who knew! Where I went to college, all you could find was stuff like Vitalis, Bryl Creem, etc. My brother had to ship me black hair care products and Jet Magazine! LOL!!!!

I checked on line, and they still sell both Dixie Peach, and Royal Crown. But they have new label styles on the jars.
    It's funny to me that these products and brands just refuse to die! LOL! Royal Crown I had not heard of in probably 30 years.

who knew! Where i went to college, all you could find was stuff like vitalis, bryl creem, etc. My brother had to ship me black hair care products and jet magazine! Lol!!!!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaa..bryl cream-stop it i'm on the floor-a little dab will do ya!!!

Get that Tony Curtis look.......................hehehehehehehehe!

Hey remember when being[stylist]didn't matter,we just put on whatever pants and shirt we saw and ran outside to play,i do that sometimes today...but my wife makes me come in and change-i never have any fun!!

Hey remember when being[stylist]didn't matter,we just put on whatever pants and shirt we saw and ran outside to play,i do that sometimes today...but my wife makes me come in and change-i never have any fun!!
    If I'm not going to church or gathering that requires more appropriate gear, I'm in blue jeans and a tee shirt. I'm wearing a pair of shorts and a sleeveless Tee right now and I'm about to go to the store as-is. With that said, I wonder if my parents would have let me bounce off to school back in the day without combing my hair and with my pants hanging low enough to see most of my drawers?

Jerry,you already know the answer!

I can't get that Brylcreem advert out of my head now.

It went:

"Brylcreem, a little dab'll do you.
    Brylcreem, you look so debonair.
    Brylcreem, the girls will all pursue you.
    They love to run their fingers through your hair."

My friend Cliff that I grew up with, his Mom passed in March. We were standing in the church vestibule before the funeral mass started. All of these ladies came up and hugged Cliff and he goes "I guess my Hai Karate is working". I reminded him that he was showing his age when he said that and we had a little chuckle over it.

My friend Cliff that I grew up with, his Mom passed in March. We were standing in the church vestibule before the funeral mass started. All of these ladies came up and hugged Cliff and he goes "I guess my Hai Karate is working". I reminded him that he was showing his age when he said that and we had a little chuckle over it.
    LOL. Those commercials would get that cologne pulled off the shelves in the "Me Too" era.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    LOL. Those commercials would get that cologne pulled off the shelves in the "Me Too" era.
    It would be strictly a no-no now! Men are not allowed to chase women and women are robots LOL!

It would be strictly a no-no now! Men are not allowed to chase women and women are robots LOL!
    Or use martial arts to beat away their advances! Dudes used to beat those girls up in those commercials.

Or use martial arts to beat away their advances! Dudes used to beat those girls up in those commercials.
    I know. Can you imagine a commercial like that getting approved and aired today? NO WAY! LOL!!!

Anyone remember Jade East? I remember wearing Canoe to High School and thinking
    I was SO cool. I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

I was SO cool. I wasn't.
Views: 356
    That's too NEW for me to remember! I don't remember much after 1965. I remember that my father used Old Spice back in the late 1940s and early 1950s. I liked the smell of that stuff. It didn't make me sick like most perfumes and colognes. I used an after shave that didn't make me sick, and didn't have a real strong smell, but it felt really cool on my face. I can't remember it because I started using it after I was 20. I don't remember much after that. I used Old Spice from 12-22 or so.

I started shaving with a safety razor at 11, because I had started growing a beard then. I had to bring my ID to the movie house already at 10 years old, to get in for the children's rate for under 12. At that time, my barber shaved my cheeks and neck, as part of my children's haircut for 50 cents Canadian. But, at 11, he told me that I'd have to add $1.00 to it for him to keep shaving me. So, I started shaving with my father's electric razor, but it burned, and didn't shave close enough to get the stubble off. Besides, my father got angry at me for dulling the blades, so he couldn't get a close shave anymore. So, I switched to a straight edge razor. My grandfather had a barbers one edge old-fashioned razor, but it was too sharp, cutting my face all up. I don't know how my barber used one of those on me and didn't cut me. I looked like a mummy with all the toilet paper to stop the bleeding. So, I started with Gillette 2-edged blades. Now I use Wilkenson Sword blades. I could use my Sudanese sword from the 1800s. But it is so sharp that it rip a cut along most of the scabbard that holds it. It MUST have been used by one of The Mahdi's men to kill lots of British soldiers in 1898!

At 17[[1963), after high school graduation, I stopped shaving my beard [[just my lower neck and cheeks), and have never shaved it off. I've had my beard and mustache for about 56 years now.

Anyone remember a really cool-feeling after shave from the early '60s that didn't smell much? I tried Hai-Karate, but didn't like the smell.

Robb, you are killing me. I actually could picture everything in that post. Thanks for making my day.

I shave every three days. My wife didn't appreciate the gray hair in my otherwise somewhat youthful face and asked me to shave the beard although I'd prefer keeping it. I feel like I earned those gray hairs but I cut it for her. She hates it when I shave my mustache, though so I just shape it. Since I don't fade or really wear my hair in a style, I cut it myself by putting my clippers on their lowest setting. It takes longer to clean up than it does to trim. When my low spot becomes a bald patch, I'm going to shave my head.

Robb, you are killing me. I actually could picture everything in that post. Thanks for making my day.

I shave every three days. My wife didn't appreciate the gray hair in my otherwise somewhat youthful face and asked me to shave the beard although I'd prefer keeping it. I feel like I earned those gray hairs but I cut it for her. She hates it when I shave my mustache, though so I just shape it. Since I don't fade or really wear my hair in a style, I cut it myself by putting my clippers on their lowest setting. It takes longer to clean up than it does to trim. When my low spot becomes a bald patch, I'm going to shave my head.
Views: 351
    My ladyfriend tells me if I'd shave off my gray/white beard, I'd take 30 years off my age. But I want to keep it. I haven't seen my face for 56 years. If I see it, I won't look like me. I'll be a stranger, and scare myself, and die of a heart attack. I was traveling through Europe at 17 and a half, with a 20 year old friend, who I knew only with his beard and mustache. One morning, on a train. he went to the WC and shaved them off. When he came back to our cabin, I was shocked. I'd never seen that stranger before. I almost had a heart attack. I never did get used to hearing his voice, and seeing that strange face. No. I'll die with my facial hair intact. It's too late for change, now.

Hey west,i'm working on a short film about a lady who's told never to repeat the name[candy bar]more than once,but she does and the candy bar comes to life and tries to eat her alive..kinda cute ain't it?,no i'm not casting our favorite[superstar]here..she's too big for such a small role,i have a new starlette under contract-and i've given her a top screen name...lascreenia tuu b.ceen,she was discovered running out of grady's one day last week at lunch time and the look of sheer terror on her face convinced me that she's got a future on the polaroid screen,she passed her screen test with flying colors[she actually named all the colors that flu over]a new talent in da hood-stay tuned!!

Hey west,i'm working on a short film about a lady who's told never to repeat the name[candy bar]more than once,but she does and the candy bar comes to life and tries to eat her alive..kinda cute ain't it?,no i'm not casting our favorite[superstar]here..she's too big for such a small role,i have a new starlette under contract-and i've given her a top screen name...lascreenia tuu b.ceen,she was discovered running out of grady's one day last week at lunch time and the look of sheer terror on her face convinced me that she's got a future on the polaroid screen,she passed her screen test with flying colors[she actually named all the colors that flu over]a new talent in da hood-stay tuned!!
Views: 332
    There was a stripper named "Candy Barr" during the 1950s!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

I was SO cool. I wasn't.
    You know not for nothing, I can't remember the cologne we wore in high school. I know it was that cheap drug store cologne you got at Christmas in a box with some other stuff like after shave. I remember we would get my father, uncle and/or grandpa........"Old Spice" LOL! We didn't even smell it first, we would just buy it because we knew it from the commercials. LOL!!!1

Views: 356
    That's too NEW for me to remember! I don't remember much after 1965. I remember that my father used Old Spice back in the late 1940s and early 1950s. I liked the smell of that stuff. It didn't make me sick like most perfumes and colognes. I used an after shave that didn't make me sick, and didn't have a real strong smell, but it felt really cool on my face. I can't remember it because I started using it after I was 20. I don't remember much after that. I used Old Spice from 12-22 or so.

I started shaving with a safety razor at 11, because I had started growing a beard then. I had to bring my ID to the movie house already at 10 years old, to get in for the children's rate for under 12. At that time, my barber shaved my cheeks and neck, as part of my children's haircut for 50 cents Canadian. But, at 11, he told me that I'd have to add $1.00 to it for him to keep shaving me. So, I started shaving with my father's electric razor, but it burned, and didn't shave close enough to get the stubble off. Besides, my father got angry at me for dulling the blades, so he couldn't get a close shave anymore. So, I switched to a straight edge razor. My grandfather had a barbers one edge old-fashioned razor, but it was too sharp, cutting my face all up. I don't know how my barber used one of those on me and didn't cut me. I looked like a mummy with all the toilet paper to stop the bleeding. So, I started with Gillette 2-edged blades. Now I use Wilkenson Sword blades. I could use my Sudanese sword from the 1800s. But it is so sharp that it rip a cut along most of the scabbard that holds it. It MUST have been used by one of The Mahdi's men to kill lots of British soldiers in 1898!

At 17[[1963), after high school graduation, I stopped shaving my beard [[just my lower neck and cheeks), and have never shaved it off. I've had my beard and mustache for about 56 years now.

Anyone remember a really cool-feeling after shave from the early '60s that didn't smell much? I tried Hai-Karate, but didn't like the smell.
    That's it Robb! Old Spice! Remember the commercial had this old sailor or captain in it. I use to grow a beard off and on in the early 80s before I got out of college. Then in the early 2000s I would grow a goatee every few weeks because it was popular. I have kept my mustache for centuries now. LOL!

Cool Waters was the cologne all of my NYC Latino buddies were wearing, so I started buying that before finally settling on Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein.

Views: 332
    there was a stripper named "candy barr" during the 1950s!
    haaaaaaaaaaaa..hey robb,i accidentally put one of my scripts here instead of the clubhouse-opps!!

you know not for nothing, i can't remember the cologne we wore in high school. I know it was that cheap drug store cologne you got at christmas in a box with some other stuff like after shave. I remember we would get my father, uncle and/or grandpa........"old spice" lol! We didn't even smell it first, we would just buy it because we knew it from the commercials. Lol!!!1
    haaaaaaaaaaa..marv,me an you had to have gone to the same school brother,that[no name]cologne was the same stuff i used i think til i got married and my wife made me throw it out,hehe!!

haaaaaaaaaaa..marv,me an you had to have gone to the same school brother,that[no name]cologne was the same stuff i used i think til i got married and my wife made me throw it out,hehe!!
    We probably did JAI! LOL! I was just not that concerned about brands, labels etc back then. For me it was like, if it did what it was suppose do, then that was all that mattered LOL!

What was the best men's clothing store for your hood back in the day? In d.c. It was cavelier's men's shop.

What was the best men's clothing store for your hood back in the day? In d.c. It was cavelier's men's shop.
    It was "Black Knights Men's Store" that opened in 1968

In Detroit, it was "The Broadway" downtown. Where all the players and pimps shopped......hehehehehehe!
    Last edited by marv2; 07-25-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Columbus had a men's shop called Lee's that was a staple of it's black community for decades. Not sure how long ago it went out of business.

Savannah had Heyman and Sons, “where the price to look nice requires very little sacrifice.” 😆

LOL. The radio commercials for Lee's used to always play the Bobbette's "Mr. Lee". As far back as elementary school and until I was in my 20s, they would end their commercials with "1-2-3, Here comes Mr. Lee...".

South L.A. had "Syd's For Men", where all the stylish suits and hats were bought. It was at the corner of Manchester and Broadway. Chicago had several places on Halsted, Cottage Grove and State Street, on The South Side, and in South Chicago.

Of course if price didn't matter..[which always left me out,hehe]then you went to georgetown where the cheap shoes started at[300.00]there was also another cool men's store[seth martin's ltd.]for the brothers.

Of course if price didn't matter..[which always left me out,hehe]then you went to georgetown where the cheap shoes started at[300.00]there was also another cool men's store[seth martin's ltd.]for the brothers.
    We had stores like that that fit my teenager budget called "Karps" and "Jacks Men Shop". Where I live now, there is still one of those stores with the really flashy clothes down on Main Street on Long Island. I can't remember the name because when I drive by it, I look at it like it was a museum. LOL!

Views: 283
    CHEAP shoes for $300 when you were young??? You must STILL be young. I remember when $300.00 got you a down payment on a house!

Views: 283
    CHEAP shoes for $300 when you were young??? You must STILL be young. I remember when $300.00 got you a down payment on a house!
    I don't know where they sold those, but I remember buying my shoes as a teenager at Florsheim's, Thom McAnn and Hanover's..........at the Mall ! LOL! The cost range was roughly $25 -45.00.

Same price range for me too marv,a pair of[40.00]bally's was the epitone of cool back in the day,that store in georgetown is still there today and those[300.00]dollar shoes are now [700.00]...and i still can't afford em,hehe.

i don't know where they sold those, but i remember buying my shoes as a teenager at florsheim's, thom mcann and hanover's..........at the mall ! Lol! The cost range was roughly $25 -45.00.
    georgetown is the exclusive part of d.c.where everything is expensive..the golden arches of the mcdonald's...are made of real gold,hehehe!!!

georgetown is the exclusive part of d.c.where everything is expensive..the golden arches of the mcdonald's...are made of real gold,hehehe!!!
    I know, Georgetown is well known, it's like Garden City or the Hamptons on Long Island. You have to have big bucks to live and shop in those areas.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-30-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Same price range for me too marv,a pair of[40.00]bally's was the epitone of cool back in the day,that store in georgetown is still there today and those[300.00]dollar shoes are now [700.00]...and i still can't afford em,hehe.
    I can believe it, about those stores prices. I remember the first $100.00 shirt I bought. It was on W. 57th in Manhattan in the summer of 1985! I bought and wore it for my first visit to the Palladium! It got me in the door, hehehehehehehehehe!

Hey,remember those old sweatsocks that were so thick,but would fall down to your ankles,hehehehe.

Hey,remember those old sweatsocks that were so thick,but would fall down to your ankles,hehehehe.
    yep and the tube socks we wore for basketball in the 70s. Once the rubber wore out, they just sagged. LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa,i used to put rubber bands on mine,hehehe!!

What about trading cards or balloons on your bike so everyone could hear the spokes when you rode down the street? Balloons made it sound like a motorcycle was coming.