[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...i bet that lady went to church with my aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...i bet that lady went to church with my aunt.
    She was just strange. Any time a goodlooking woman would come on TV , she'd make her husband turn it off! LOL
    !

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....i don't think that even my aunt could top that!!

Remember the old days on the old sdf when there were no fueds?

Yes, I do!

Remember the best lineup for television was CBS on Saturday night? They had 'All In The Family', 'The Jeffersons', 'Mary Tyler Moore Show', 'Bob Newhart', and 'The Carol Burnett Show' for three hours of great entertainment. I still contend that Carol Burnett's variety show probably is the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Remember the best lineup for television was CBS on Saturday night? They had 'All In The Family', 'The Jeffersons', 'Mary Tyler Moore Show', 'Bob Newhart', and 'The Carol Burnett Show' for three hours of great entertainment. I still contend that Carol Burnett's variety show probably is the best ever.
    I agree! "Carol Burnett Show", with its ensemble of Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, and Vicki Lawrence, was the funniest variety show ever

But, as a kid, it was as good as the Friday night lineup of "The Brady Bunch", "The Partridge Family", Room 222", "The Odd Couple", and "Love American Style".

That was a good one too. I was too young to understand why, but I used to watch 'Room 222' just to see Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine. Shows with diverse casts always were more interesting to me, even if I wasn't sure why. I also used to watch 'Julia' because Corey Baker was my favorite TV character. Oh, and I have to say that the funniest sitcom for me was 'Sanford and Son'.

That was a good one too. I was too young to understand why, but I used to watch 'Room 222' just to see Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine. Shows with diverse casts always were more interesting to me, even if I wasn't sure why. I also used to watch 'Julia' because Corey Baker was my favorite TV character. Oh, and I have to say that the funniest sitcom for me was 'Sanford and Son'.
    I watched "Julia" mainly because my home situation was the same, right down to my mother being a nurse, except I also had a sister.

I watched "Room 222" because, face it: in those days, it was still somewhat rare to see Blacks on TV, and young ones with afros, at that. And, yes, I watched it because largely of Karen Valentine [[I forgot all about her!).

My mom didn't really like me watching "Love American Style", but I watched it anyway. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

"All In The Family" was the funniest show ever! I hurt myself laughing!

Remember when we could laugh with each other because of our differences instead of at each other? Archie Bunker was so disrespectful but ultimately, the joke was on him, so it wasn't really offensive. Same with Fred Sanford and George Jefferson. The best way to handle bigotry is to laugh at it. Now, if somebody says that stuff, it's immediately shot down as being too racist to laugh at.

Can you imagine Mel Brooks making 'Blazing Saddles' in 2015?

Remember when we could laugh with each other because of our differences instead of at each other?
    Uh...no...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Uh...no...
    So you never saw 'Blazing Saddles'? Or 'The Jeffersons'? You said you liked 'All In The Family' and that whole show was based on a man with a sense of White privilege dealing with an increasingly diversified world.

I remember when folks in the neighborhood got along,white,black,oriental,native american[yes we had them too]we had a jewish temple on our block and the rabbis were well respected and nice men[my father was very fond of them]remember when right was right and wrong was wrong didn't matter your skin color,case in point the early sixties two tough guys fought it out-one black-one white[imagine the fonz]well after a brutal battle the white guy won and nothing more was thought about it...[the black guy was the agressor]today there might be a race riot.

So you never saw 'Blazing Saddles'? Or 'The Jeffersons'? You said you liked 'All In The Family' and that whole show was based on a man with a sense of White privilege dealing with an increasingly diversified world.
    No, i'm saying that in my world, I don't remember anyone ever laughing with each other over differences.

Gotcha. My school was interesting. You had the rockers, the jocks/cheerleaders, the pot smokers, the audio/visual kids, the brainiacs, band, and art class kids. There was a little overlap among all of these groups, but for the most part, after 10th grade, the only White and Black kids who hung with each other were on the football team or the smart kids. I had White acquaintances, but no White friends [[unlike in junior high). I don't recall any racial incidents in school at all; there was absolutely no beef between any of us [[thank God). So no, we didn't joke with each other, let alone make fun of each other.

I would have had a much different experience had that occurred and I'm glad that it didn't. I was speaking much more from a societal standpoint, not a personal standpoint.

Remember when we could celebrate our birthdays without worrying that we were getting old?

I still do, 144man. I figure I have two options and growing old ain't the worst of the two. I do remember no wondering where the time went, though.

Maybe I should have said "...without worrying that we had reached our peak and it was now downhill all the way."

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when we could celebrate our birthdays without worrying that we were getting old?
    I quit having birthdays about 20 years ago! I like younger [[over 18) girls anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Maybe I should have said "...without worrying that we had reached our peak and it was now downhill all the way."
    Hah! Most of us can see the finish line from here!

I quit having birthdays about 20 years ago! I like younger [[over 18) girls anyway.
    Liking them is not the problem. Getting them to like YOU is the hard part.

Remember when you had to wind up your watch?

Yeah. Sometimes I forget I don't have to do that anymore and start trying to wind mine. LOL!

Yeah i really miss those days when my batteries die and i have to haul that[sundial]out of the cellar...those things weigh a ton.

I remember when folks in the neighborhood got along,white,black,oriental,native american[yes we had them too]we had a jewish temple on our block and the rabbis were well respected and nice men[my father was very fond of them]remember when right was right and wrong was wrong didn't matter your skin color,case in point the early sixties two tough guys fought it out-one black-one white[imagine the fonz]well after a brutal battle the white guy won and nothing more was thought about it...[the black guy was the agressor]today there might be a race riot.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  21.1 KB

No you didn't have a "Jewish Temple" on your block. You my have had a synagogue. There can be only one Jewish Temple, and that MUST be in Jerusalem. There has been no "Jewish Temple" since The Second Temple [[Herod's) was destroyed in 70 AD. There is one wall of it left. The buildings where Jews worship in an organised manner are Synagogues. Even in Israel, there is no temple. The Temple will be rebuilt only when The Meschiach [[Messiah) arrives. For Jews, he has not yet arrived.

As most Jews in USA are not very religious at all, even many of them don't really understand that fact. Many Synagogues are named "Temple ...........whatever". But, that is misleading. It is only "figurative. It is just an honourary name [[a placeholder. It is not meant to imply that that building is a "temple". The Temple is supposed to house The one and only "Ark of The Covenant". Their are not thousands of Arks of The Covenant to be housed in all those synagogues.

I am not very religious at all [[and was not even raised Orthodox, and yet I know that).

Views: 430
    So many youngsters on this forum.

I remember NO TV, radio dramas and comedies, and The Hopalong Cassidy and The Lone Ranger and Mollie Goldberg and Burns and Allen and Jack Benny and Your Hit Parade, and Hockey Night in Canada as new TV novelties.

I also had an aunt I knew well for 5 years, who was born in 1848. And I used to get haircuts at the barber shop for 25¢, which include a chin shave and trimming my sideburns with a straight razor and foam all in the price. Newspapers were a nickle, so were cups of coffee [[refilled free), and a good dinner in a sitdown restaurant was a dollar.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-01-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Or treated a woman in public special without being considered a male chauvinist or having ulterior motives..................
Views: 515
    Out of force of habit, I still hold doors opened for women, and often I get lectured that these women are not helpless. And with some, if you DON'T do it, you get scolded. You can't win!

LOL. Tell us, robb_k, if you remember when your dinosaur went extinct.

LOL. Tell us, robb_k, if you remember when your dinosaur went extinct.
Views: 735
    We didn't have a garbage disposal, nobody had air conditioning in their houses, not even "swamp coolers". Not even offices did. If you wanted relief from the Midwestern heat, you had to sit all day in the picture show [[cinema), I had to shovel coal into the boiler for our "central heating". We had an "ice box" in our first house [[metal-lined, wood kitchen cabinet with heavy steel door [[like bank safe door). We had no dryer [[hung wash on outdoor clothes lines [[stretched from pole to pole). I flicked chickens, My father and grandfather cut off their heads[[the chickens, of course!). We had a moose in our back yard a few times.

I remember when we sang "God Save The King", and The Canadian Football League" was still called "The Canadian Rugby League". and I remember the old official [[pre WWII) word spellings in Dutch and Danish language, and when at least 20% of the US coins in regular circulation were Indian head pennies, V nickles [[Morgan), Barber dimes, Liberty Standing quarters, , Liberty Standing half Dollars and Morgan silver Dollars, many from the 1800s, We had The Union Jack in a corner of our Canadian flag. The Canadian Dollar was always worth between $1.06 - $1.09 US, Middle class people in USA actually used reasonably correct grammar and reasonable spelling in English [[now almost NO Americans do!)
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-02-2015 at 12:33 AM.

An elderly man is stretched out on his back on the beach, totally nude and with an erection. An elderly woman sees him and says, "What on Earth do you think you're doing?"

The man says, "I use my penis as a watch--actually just like a sundial. And I can see by the shadow from my penis that it must be 1:00 pm."

The woman replies, "Oh, that's interesting" and then she moves along.

A while later, she passes by the man again and as she does, he says to her, "Well, I can tell by the shadow of my penis that it's now 3:00 pm." The woman nods and then continues walking.

But soon she returns and sees the man frantically masturbating. Indignantly she says, "How dare you masturbate on the beach! That's just terrible!"

And the man says, "I'm doing nothing of the sort. I'm just rewinding my watch!"

Liking them is not the problem. Getting them to like YOU is the hard part.
    I have no problem there!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 735
    Middle class people in USA actually used reasonably correct grammar and reasonable spelling in English [[now almost NO Americans do!)
    Thas cuz we speak Mercan. You can keep that English on that side of the lake, Bruh!

BTW: If I ever consider a list of my top five SDF posters [[I won't), please know that you are easily one of them. I can't speak for others, but your posts are among the most interesting and educational that I read on these forums.

Hah! Most of us can see the finish line from here!
    I'm more worried about which part of me is going to fall off next!

Views: 521

no you didn't have a "jewish temple" on your block. You my have had a synagogue. There can be only one jewish temple, and that must be in jerusalem. There has been no "jewish temple" since the second temple [[herod's) was destroyed in 70 ad. There is one wall of it left. The buildings where jews worship in an organised manner are synagogues. Even in israel, there is no temple. The temple will be rebuilt only when the meschiach [[messiah) arrives. For jews, he has not yet arrived.

As most jews in usa are not very religious at all, even many of them don't really understand that fact. Many synagogues are named "temple ...........whatever". But, that is misleading. It is only "figurative. It is just an honourary name [[a placeholder. It is not meant to imply that that building is a "temple". The temple is supposed to house the one and only "ark of the covenant". Their are not thousands of arks of the covenant to be housed in all those synagogues.

I am not very religious at all [[and was not even raised orthodox, and yet i know that).
    what's up robb,you're right of course but i can't spell[synagogue]no disrespect to anyone of the jewish faith.

Quote Originally Posted by methuselah2 View Post
    an elderly man is stretched out on his back on the beach, totally nude and with an erection. An elderly woman sees him and says, "what on earth do you think you're doing?"

the man says, "i use my penis as a watch--actually just like a sundial. And i can see by the shadow from my penis that it must be 1:00 pm."

the woman replies, "oh, that's interesting" and then she moves along.

A while later, she passes by the man again and as she does, he says to her, "well, i can tell by the shadow of my penis that it's now 3:00 pm." the woman nods and then continues walking.

But soon she returns and sees the man frantically masturbating. Indignantly she says, "how dare you masturbate on the beach! That's just terrible!"

and the man says, "i'm doing nothing of the sort. I'm just rewinding my watch!"
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...i'm on the floor stop it you're killin me..haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! !

[ATTACH]Middle class people in USA actually used reasonably correct grammar and reasonable spelling in English [[now almost NO Americans do!)
    Define "reasonable", because, as long as i've been around blue-collar types from the beginning of the 80s, i've never known them to speak correctly, or know how to spell.

Remember when the tv weatherman had those maps and a magic marker?

Remember the old days on the old sdf when there were no fueds?
Views: 439
    And a LOT more interesting threads than there are now, with label histories, discographies and record label scans, and comments by people that were there at the time and helped make the music?

Define "reasonable", because, as long as i've been around blue-collar types from the beginning of the 80s, i've never known them to speak correctly, or know how to spell.
Views: 524
    I was talking about the 1940s and early 1950s.

Remember when the tv weatherman had those maps and a magic marker?
    Hey JAI you mean like this! I actually remember watching this local weather report on the news about the Blizzard of '78. I was a senior in high school . It felt kind of weird finding this on the internet:

Views: 439
    And a LOT more interesting threads than there are now, with label histories, discographies and record label scans, and comments by people that were there at the time and helped make the music?
    ^ This is what I, and I suspect you originally came here for! There were all kinds of discussions that dealt more with the type of thing I like to discuss. Now it's nothing but stupid feuds.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    hey jai you mean like this! I actually remember watching this local weather report on the news about the blizzard of '78. I was a senior in high school . It felt kind of weird finding this on the internet:

hey marv,that map is a vast improvement over those old things from back in the day,i mean those maps were drawn by numbers and one of em had florida on the west coast,heck i was a senior in high school before i learned that california was not a suburb of miami.

hey marv,that map is a vast improvement over those old things from back in the day,i mean those maps were drawn by numbers and one of em had florida on the west coast,heck i was a senior in high school before i learned that california was not a suburb of miami.
    JAI, I do remember the earlier days when they used a marker to draw out the weather conditions. I hadn't seen the above video in a while and had forgotten how advance Joe Ashton the weatherman was by 1978 LOL!

One of my Mom's fond memories is when a local station broadcast a "we are experiencing technical problems, please stand by message". My big brother, who must have been about five years old at the time asked her what was going on. She read the message and he dutifully walked over and stood by the television.

One of my Mom's fond memories is when a local station broadcast a "we are experiencing technical problems, please stand by message". My big brother, who must have been about five years old at the time asked her what was going on. She read the message and he dutifully walked over and stood by the television.
    Now that is a funny story. I remember a show called "Land of the Giants". That's where I got the idea that there were really tiny people inside our television set that put on all of the shows! LOL! When our TV we had for most of the 60s finally went kaput! I remember looking inside at all of the tubes to see if I could see any of the little people, hehehehehehehehehe.......

Hah! I remember 'Land of the Giants'. I liked it as well as 'The Time Tunnel'. We used to try to talk my folks into staying up to watch 'The Invaders' and 'The Immortal' but we usually had to be in bed at 9:00 PM. BTW: Remember when you had to go to bed at 9:00 PM?

Remember when you had to go to bed at 9:00 PM?
Views: 472
    Yes! From 1953-1954. But, I usually stayed up until 11:00 - Midnight, or so, reading comic books with a flashlight. There was no TV in kids' rooms back then, and very few regular programmes on Canadian TV then, and nothing on after 10 PM, in any case [[at least in Winnipeg). I can't speak for B.C.,Ontario or Quebec, but I know that in Chacago we shut down one hour earlier than on the 2 US coasts. So, maybe Midwestern Winnipeg's TV was also shut down earlier than B.C. and The Eastern Provinces?

Hah! I remember 'Land of the Giants'. I liked it as well as 'The Time Tunnel'. We used to try to talk my folks into staying up to watch 'The Invaders' and 'The Immortal' but we usually had to be in bed at 9:00 PM. BTW: Remember when you had to go to bed at 9:00 PM?
    The Invaders caused me to get many spankings. I never remember getting to see a whole episode, so a few Christmases ago I bought the DVD's. Oh yeah, 9 pm was not only the cut off time for us, it was also when "Peyton Place" came on. That was my mom's favorite program that she and her ladies spent the next day on the phone discussing. LOL!

Views: 472
    Yes! From 1953-1954. But, I usually stayed up until 11:00 - Midnight, or so, reading comic books with a flashlight. There was no TV in kids' rooms back then, and very few regular programmes on Canadian TV then, and nothing on after 10 PM, in any case [[at least in Winnipeg). I can't speak for B.C.,Ontario or Quebec, but I know that in Chacago we shut down one hour earlier than on the 2 US coasts. So, maybe Midwestern Winnipeg's TV was also shut down earlier than B.C. and The Eastern Provinces?
    Robb! We use to get Canadian television living so close to the border. What was the name of that Barn dance like show that came on every weekend?

Yep,9:00 on weeknights and we could stay up on friday and saturday,we used to have a latenight horror show called[shock]which ran on cbs on saturday nights at 1am..count[gore devall]came much later.