[REMOVE ADS]

Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 17 57 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,350 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 16887
    Wow! In Europe the rooms for normal middle and upper middle class families are small, so they usually have the bed headboard against a wall. The wood bed frames may have drawers under the bed, but they almost always fill the whole length of the bed, and open from the side of the bed. That's where the linens [[comforter covers) and blankets are kept. In my many years in Canada and USA, I've NEVER seen drawers in a headboard. Are you sure you didn't mean "bedframe", which includes the boards under the mattress, and all 4 sides of the bed? The "headboard is just the board that goes behind the sleepers' heads, and is generally higher than the foot board.
    Some of em had a shelf on top for frames, toys, etc. Those were the days, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

Remember these turtles you could buy at places like Woolworth's?
    I think they finally banned that. I would hope so. I think they carried
    salmonella.
    And the goldfish in a plastic bag from the pet shop?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Bunk beds were clearly the jam, back then. I remember the cool little from the top bunk. And my lil brother always would tumble off to the floor - in his sleep, no less!
    Cool little ladder, I meant to say upthread.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I got my first "mobile phone" in 1994. Big as shoe! I got my first "car phone" in 1995 in Boston. It took up the whole front seat console between seats. They gave me a mic attached to the sun visor so that I could drive and talk hands free. 8 Tracks always sucked! I miss seeing the rooftop TV antennas. Where did they all go? Who went up on all the houses and took them down?
    Marv, I still got a rooftop antenna on my house! By the time I get it down, it'll be back in style! Like everything else nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Remember the signs in the old video stores.....Be kind and rewind! I feel old.
    Cassette tapes? Is it live or Memorex?

Them and "Laurie" from the Partridge Family and every go go dancer on "Laugh-In" LOL!
    JoAnne was smoking hot!

[QUOTE=nativeNY63;570111] [/content://media/external/file/4375QUOTE]
    JoAnne Worley was smoking hot! Little boy crush!
    Last edited by nativeNY63; 04-06-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Wording

Attachment 16104
    You mean the first morning after you just bought your first free-standing house?
    Yeah, Robb! Remember that feeling all too well. And to arr & bee's point, and sitting on the back porch/yard in 7th heaven!

It really is an incredibly dumb phenomenon! I still don't get it.
    Sneaker heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Did anybody used to get served the grayish mystery meat "hamburgers" in school? They tasted like soy burgers taste today but I don't think they had soy meat back in the day. Also, we used to get these little square mystery meat pizzas once every couple of weeks. We would never buy that crap outside of school but I guess it says a lot about the rest of the menu that we went nuts over somewhat tasty food of unknown origin.
    Don't forget the Sloppy Joes. Loved me some.

Don't forget the Sloppy Joes. Loved me some.
    I'm glad you mentioned Sloppy Joes. I just might have that for dinner today. Self-isolation provides a lot of time for menu planning.

Marv, I still got a rooftop antenna on my house! By the time I get it down, it'll be back in style! Like everything else nowadays.
    Makes me thing about how my dad bought a satellite dish about six months after I moved out of the house. That thing was probably seven feet across and pulled in feeds from all over the world. I was mad because if he'd bought it earlier, I would never have left. To make it worse, my big brother moved home from California and got my bedroom AND the benefit of watching every basketball and baseball game [[in addition to all of the country's superstations) that I missed out on. C'est la vie.

My folks had to pay somebody to come salvage and remove that thing about 10 years ago. It was obsolete since all of the satellites began encrypting their feeds. I guess using the little dish from Directv and paying a monthly fee was more economically sound than paying some guy $100 or so every month or so when their box got scrambled again.

I'm glad you mentioned Sloppy Joes. I just might have that for dinner today. Self-isolation provides a lot of time for menu planning.
    I love sloppy joes when they are made right. In Detroit, we also had a thing called "the loose hamburger". You could get it at Coney hot dog places. It would be ground beef cooked and chopped up like you'd have with sloppy joes but with out the sauce.

Makes me thing about how my dad bought a satellite dish about six months after I moved out of the house. That thing was probably seven feet across and pulled in feeds from all over the world. I was mad because if he'd bought it earlier, I would never have left. To make it worse, my big brother moved home from California and got my bedroom AND the benefit of watching every basketball and baseball game [[in addition to all of the country's superstations) that I missed out on. C'est la vie.

My folks had to pay somebody to come salvage and remove that thing about 10 years ago. It was obsolete since all of the satellites began encrypting their feeds. I guess using the little dish from Directv and paying a monthly fee was more economically sound than paying some guy $100 or so every month or so when their box got scrambled again.
    Jerry, we always had rooftop antennas when I was growing up until I got to Jr. High. That's when my father got one of those antenna towers that go up from the ground past the roof of the house. The tower was connected to the TV and to a control box inside. You could turn the antenna in the direction you wanted just by turning the dial on the box. I had to use it most when it would get late if I wanted certain Canadian tv channels. That tower still stand behind my mother's house near her driveway.

Wish I had a good antenna right now. Since Congress made all stations go digital, I can't get all of the broadcast channels on my downstairs TV. If I adjust the antenna to get some, I lose others. We have six network TV stations but each of them has low def subsidiaries. I call it Poor Man's Cable because we have 37 channels that we don't need cable to get.

Wish I had a good antenna right now. Since Congress made all stations go digital, I can't get all of the broadcast channels on my downstairs TV. If I adjust the antenna to get some, I lose others. We have six network TV stations but each of them has low def subsidiaries. I call it Poor Man's Cable because we have 37 channels that we don't need cable to get.
    I know what you're going through Jerry. I remember back to when I first moved to Long Island. I wanted to see if I could get away without ordering cable. I had a good-sized indoor antenna I bought from Radio Shack. By coincidence, there was a television broadcast tower right across the highway from me. Even with my antenna, I got zilch in the way of broadcasts. I had no choice but to order cable. I never thought the day would come where we had to pay to watch TV. The cable companies have been so rich and so arrogant that they act like the utilities do.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  21.1 KB
    We finally have a photo of a headboard with shelves and drawers built in. OldiesNusicFan sent it to me to upload:
    Name:  2020-04-10_172558.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  87.1 KB
    I've seen those before, but I would never have called it a "headboard". To me, a headboard is a flat board that is placed between the sleeper's head and keeps him or her from hitting his/her head on the hard wall. This looks like a shelf placed behind a bed.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-11-2020 at 12:32 AM.

I know what you're going through Jerry. I remember back to when I first moved to Long Island. I wanted to see if I could get away without ordering cable. I had a good-sized indoor antenna I bought from Radio Shack. By coincidence, there was a television broadcast tower right across the highway from me. Even with my antenna, I got zilch in the way of broadcasts. I had no choice but to order cable. I never thought the day would come where we had to pay to watch TV. The cable companies have been so rich and so arrogant that they act like the utilities do.
    I'm good though. I cut the cord over 20 years ago and with my streaming devices, I'm accessing most cable channels and getting content from all of the major streaming services for free. Curiously, it's the "free" TV that I have trouble watching through broadcast and the paid TV that I find it easier to get through the internet.

Views: 426
    We finally have a photo of a headboard with shelves and drawers built in. OldiesNusicFan sent it to me to upload:
    Name:  2020-04-10_172558.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  87.1 KB
    I've seen those before, but I would never have called it a "headboard". To me, a headboard is a flat board that is placed between the sleeper's head and keeps him or her from hitting his/her head on the hard wall. This looks like a shelf placed behind a bed.
    My folks have had headboards with shelves, storage drawers and mirrors in them since the '80s.

Way to go robb,way to go!!

Remember when your first introduction to all things music was from those stacks of lps in the corner? 45s? Or in crates? Sweet sounds coming out of the hi-fi stereo? Which was actually a piece of furniture!

Remember when your first introduction to all things music was from those stacks of lps in the corner? 45s? Or in crates? Sweet sounds coming out of the hi-fi stereo? Which was actually a piece of furniture!
    Yep. Those old consoles were in every home back in the day. Surprised if there aren't updated versions of them with turntables, tuners, modern speakers, mp3 and wi-fi connectivity. Seems like there's a market among us old heads for it.

My first purchase from an electronics store was an old turntable/cassette/8-track player. I played it for years until my dad came home with an old Marantz receiver that he got from one of his lodge buddies. Anybody still irritated by the click and delay when an 8-track switched tracks in the middle of a song? I used to hate that, even when I knew it was coming.

Those are beautiful..i'm tearin up over here,sniff sniff!

Yep. Those old consoles were in every home back in the day. Surprised if there aren't updated versions of them with turntables, tuners, modern speakers, mp3 and wi-fi connectivity. Seems like there's a market among us old heads for it.
    My parents first console stereo they bought at Sears, an RCA in 1963 is a storage room in their basement today.

Views: 395
    I remember when the only console we had was for just a radio [[with a giant speaker), and the record player was a separate item, a Victrola phonograph, with only a 78 RPM speed! That's old!

My first purchase from an electronics store was an old turntable/cassette/8-track player. I played it for years until my dad came home with an old Marantz receiver that he got from one of his lodge buddies. Anybody still irritated by the click and delay when an 8-track switched tracks in the middle of a song? I used to hate that, even when I knew it was coming.
    Indeed! And it was even worse in an automobile! In my opinion, the technology was just wrong-headed.

Who remembers the old Benzee radio box for you car? You either carried it with you or shoved it under your seat. I was in the latter camp, and by the time I got back to the car, it vanished! It happened inna Bronx in early '90's. I shoulda known better.

You guys are all so young! My introduction was a stack of my parents' Boogie Woogie 78s by the Victrola! And on the wall in the living room was a bookshelf full of those green record-holder-sleeved Albums [[which, of course, is where the name "albums" used for LPs comes).

I hereby dub you...professor emiritus of soulful detroit,doctor robb k!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I hereby dub you...professor emiritus of soulful detroit,doctor robb k!!
Views: 378
    I'm sure it was the same for other SDF "Oldies, like Ralph.

My dad only had a couple of 78s. We had a who lot of 45s and a bunch of albums. At age 16 I got my first job [[McDonalds). A couple weeks after my first paycheck, I bought my first albums which were Candy by Con Funk Shun and LTD's Devotion. It wouldn't be long before I'd buy between two and four albums every week. I still have about 600 of them in boxes in the basement. About ten years ago, I broke them out and began to digitize them. Say what you will about digital media but nothing comes close to the fidelity and feel of a vinyl LP.

What about radiators? They would whistle and hiss - loudly. And gave of heat like a sauna!

What about radiators? They would whistle and hiss - loudly. And gave of heat like a sauna!
    They would bang too, at least the ones in buildings in the Bronx I remember.

They would bang too, at least the ones in buildings in the Bronx I remember.
    those things were so hot you could cook on em...and some folks did!

Remember sitting the floor fan in the window to cool the room? Haaaaaaaa it cooled nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember sitting the floor fan in the window to cool the room? Haaaaaaaa it cooled nothing!
    Oh yeah! I remember doing that a lot. It would just bring in and circulate the hot air. LOL!

Speaking of radiators, when is the last time anyone put water in a car radiator? Or for that matter, that you pulled your car over because your radiator sprung a leak and you had steam shooting out of it?

Speaking of radiators, when is the last time anyone put water in a car radiator? Or for that matter, that you pulled your car over because your radiator sprung a leak and you had steam shooting out of it?
    In early 2012. I was driving my old 1996 Ford Taurus around my town and it began running hot.

I think the last car that overheated like that for me was a Chevette back in 1979.

Food procressors
    Word processors
    Typewriters
    Florshiem Shoes
    Buster Brown Shoes
    jungle gyms
    Romper Room
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    tube socks, w/3 racing stripes
    station wagons w/wood door panels
    mirrored walls
    wooden school desks w/pencil slot

Quote Originally Posted by nativeny63 View Post
    food procressors
    word processors
    typewriters
    florshiem shoes
    buster brown shoes
    jungle gyms
    romper room
    the man from u.n.c.l.e.
    Tube socks, w/3 racing stripes
    mirrored walls
    buster brown shoes-haaaaaaaaaaaa...my wife made me throw mine out after we got married...i never have any fun-sigh!!

Food procressors
    Word processors
    Typewriters
    Florshiem Shoes
    Buster Brown Shoes
    jungle gyms
    Romper Room
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    tube socks, w/3 racing stripes
    mirrored walls
Views: 331
    In my elementary school, we had those old wood and wrought iron individual desks with an inkwell depression for holding the ink bottles. They were from before WWI. My mother's parents had a car from before WWII [[a 1938 [[Canadian) Chrysler). I, myself, still use a 1959 Smith-Corona typewriter case for my traveling art-supplies briefcase, because it is so sturdy. I've used it as a briefcase, since 1972. I didn't get a computer until 1998. Up until then, I used a hand non-electric typewriter. I didn't get a hand [[portable) telephone until 2003. That was a flip phone. I didn't get a smart phone until 2011, and I almost never use it [[only for retrieving my computer passwords). I've never used The Internet on it. I'm the only person I know who still has a landline telephone [[in 3 homes). I'm also the only one I know who doesn't use "The Cloud". I have a car, but don't use it at all any more. I still use a mechanical rotary desktop pencil sharpener.

What is a "food procressor"??? I don't even know what a "food processor" is! What is the action of "cressing"? That is not in The Oxford Dictionary of The English Language.

In my elementary school, we had those old wood and wrought iron individual desks with an inkwell depression for holding the ink bottles. They were from before WWI. My mother's parents had a car from before WWII [[a 1938 [[Canadian) Chrysler). I, myself, still use a 1959 Smith-Corona typewriter case for my traveling art-supplies briefcase, because it is so sturdy. I've used it as a briefcase, since 1972. I didn't get a computer until 1998. Up until then, I used a hand non-electric typewriter. I didn't get a hand [[portable) telephone until 2003. That was a flip phone. I didn't get a smart phone until 2011, and I almost never use it [[only for retrieving my computer passwords). I've never used The Internet on it. I'm the only person I know who still has a landline telephone [[in 3 homes). I'm also the only one I know who doesn't use "The Cloud". I have a car, but don't use it at all any more. I still use a mechanical rotary desktop pencil sharpener.

What is a "food procressor"??? I don't even know what a "food processor" is! What is the action of "cressing"? That is not in The Oxford Dictionary of The English Language.
    The direct descendant of the blender. With extra, useless accessories.

I spelled it wrong, Robb. Good eagle eye.

in my elementary school, we had those old wood and wrought iron individual desks with an inkwell depression for holding the ink bottles. They were from before wwi. My mother's parents had a car from before wwii [[a 1938 [[canadian) chrysler). I, myself, still use a 1959 smith-corona typewriter case for my traveling art-supplies briefcase, because it is so sturdy. I've used it as a briefcase, since 1972. I didn't get a computer until 1998. Up until then, i used a hand non-electric typewriter. I didn't get a hand [[portable) telephone until 2003. That was a flip phone. I didn't get a smart phone until 2011, and i almost never use it [[only for retrieving my computer passwords). I've never used the internet on it. I'm the only person i know who still has a landline telephone [[in 3 homes). I'm also the only one i know who doesn't use "the cloud". I have a car, but don't use it at all any more. I still use a mechanical rotary desktop pencil sharpener.

What is a "food procressor"??? I don't even know what a "food processor" is! What is the action of "cressing"? That is not in the oxford dictionary of the english language.
    haaaaaaaaaaa,hey robb,we were still using those old desk in high school,the d.c.school board didn't spend much money on desk in those days!!

What about the metal ones? Where the whole top opened on hinges?

What about the metal ones? Where the whole top opened on hinges?
    We had those in the 5th Grade! I remember those. In the earlier grades [[1st, 2nd, etc) we had the metal ones that had like an open compartment under the top surface and a little rack on the back near the floor for your stuff!

Remember the "Cloak Room"? LOL!

We had those in the 5th Grade! I remember those. In the earlier grades [[1st, 2nd, etc) we had the metal ones that had like an open compartment under the top surface and a little rack on the back near the floor for your stuff!

Remember the "Cloak Room"? LOL!
    Yeah! I remember that little metal rack down there...crammed with contraband -comics, Mad/Cracked/Crazy mags!
    It was called the Coat Room in the '70's. Place to go get beat up, pre-afterschool. Years later, with my own kids ready for kindergarten, I saw my daughter's and....

Back in the day,the[cloak room]was where i got my first kiss,hehehehe!!!