[REMOVE ADS]

Page 58 of 77 FirstFirst ... 8 48 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 68 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,900 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We got cable in the mid-70s. I remember when HBO started at 5:00 PM every day [[went off around midnight or 1AM). Everybody in junior high was captivated by HBO. The cable company sent a little TV guide with HBO programming with the monthly bill and I'd rip the envelope open as soon as it arrived to see what was coming on.

Does anybody remember Pong? It was the first computer game. Who could have predicted that it would lead to things like Mortal Kombat, where the goal is beat down your opponent in a martial arts contest. Some video games are complex and rendered as realistically as movies, who would have thought something so simple would evolve that way?
    I remember Pong even before Pac-Man. It was dull and boring compared to the video games that came after. Just playing ping pong on a dark background on your TV. Didn't have a big box that came with it?

Yep. There were a couple of other games on the console. One was Knockout but I can't remember the other. We played those stupid games for hours over my aunt's house. LOL. Kind of like the first generation of brain dead gamers. But we got tired of it within a month and were back playing tackle football in the field down the street.

Yep. There were a couple of other games on the console. One was Knockout but I can't remember the other. We played those stupid games for hours over my aunt's house. LOL. Kind of like the first generation of brain dead gamers. But we got tired of it within a month and were back playing tackle football in the field down the street.
    We use to got to this place called Cherry Hot Dog, a restaurant near my cousins. We'd plug in the pinball machine and play it over and over without paying LOL!

Check this: when we did go out to play, when did we have to be back home? Wait for it. Right-o! When the street lights came on! We barely made it!! Cause all us kids had a mass exodus of Huffys and 10-speed Schwinns traveling the world, it seemed!! If not that playing at least 2 or 3 sports [[sandlot). Then, eating dinner over your best bud's house!!! That was the real "Simple Life!"

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Check this: when we did go out to play, when did we have to be back home? Wait for it. Right-o! When the street lights came on! We barely made it!! Cause all us kids had a mass exodus of Huffys and 10-speed Schwinns traveling the world, it seemed!! If not that playing at least 2 or 3 sports [[sandlot). Then, eating dinner over your best bud's house!!! That was the real "Simple Life!"
    I'll never forget the day when I was 10 years old and stayed over my friend Duke's house until after 9:00 PM. It was only six or seven houses away across the street but my folks absolutely freaked out. They weren't angry with me but had called all over to find out where I was. I felt horrible [[still do) even though we never talked about it again.

Going back to the original post: Remember when anybody in the neighborhood who saw a kid doing something wrong [[smoking, fighting, throwing rocks at passing cars, etc.) could either chastise the kid or call his parents [[because everybody knew everybody in the neighborhood back then) without the parents going crazy and wanting to fight the 'nosey' neighbor for not minding his own business? I knew better than to mess up anywhere in a three block radius of my house because my folks would find out.

Seems like nowadays, if you try to stop a kid from running at [[literally) breakneck speed in a grocery store, his mom will swear at you like she's a drunken sailor. You're probably lucky if she doesn't call store security and threaten to sue you if you touched the brat.
    Jerry Oz - they called it extended family, after the fact! I had a friend's mom use her credit card [[no debit cards in the 70's) when I cracked my head on a mailbox [[hide-and-seek at night)and needed stitches!! I was wrapped up like The Mummy!! Today? You can be dying in the street from blood loss and that's where you'll be until someone, anyone calls for an ambulance!!!

Jerry Oz - they called it extended family, after the fact! I had a friend's mom use her credit card [[no debit cards in the 70's) when I cracked my head on a mailbox [[hide-and-seek at night)and needed stitches!! I was wrapped up like The Mummy!! Today? You can be dying in the street from blood loss and that's where you'll be until someone, anyone calls for an ambulance!!!
    If you're lying in the street from blood loss, they won't use their phone to call an ambulance, they'll use it to get you on video so they can post it on Facebook. "LOL!!!! Saw this dude today!! He got f***ed up!!!"
    <Please share>

Our society is circling the drain.

If you're lying in the street from blood loss, they won't use their phone to call an ambulance, they'll use it to get you on video so they can post it on Facebook. "LOL!!!! Saw this dude today!! He got f***ed up!!!"
    <Please share>

Our society is circling the drain.
    I'll never forget about 15 years ago, a woman collapsed right in the heart of Times Square. Several people ran up to her, one stole her purse and another took her shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'll never forget about 15 years ago, a woman collapsed right in the heart of Times Square. Several people ran up to her, one stole her purse and another took her shoes!
    I guess we've been on this road for a while. Reminds me of the case in California where the Stanford student saw a girl passed out drunk by a dumpster and decided it'd be smart to rape her. Why did that seem like a good idea? The judge felt compassion on the rapist and gave him 6 months in jail instead of a decade in prison and instead of kissing the sky in appreciation, the punk's family is trying to appeal to get him off with probation. I believe the judge had to quit due to the backlash.

I guess we've been on this road for a while. Reminds me of the case in California where the Stanford student saw a girl passed out drunk by a dumpster and decided it'd be smart to rape her. Why did that seem like a good idea? The judge felt compassion on the rapist and gave him 6 months in jail instead of a decade in prison and instead of kissing the sky in appreciation, the punk's family is trying to appeal to get him off with probation. I believe the judge had to quit due to the backlash.
    Guess what? That punk only served 3 months and then sent back home to Ohio with his wealthy dad! The judge didn't want to hurt the young animal's future. In the same note ANOTHER young man just kissed a girl in a bar and they gave him 12 years in prison for rape!

We're lost in the...sicko zone!!!

But let's stay with the brighter side..remember when your older-sister,brother cousin would have a party and you being all of ten would try to crash it,and you'd almost pull it off until a voice said...if you don't get your little butt up these stairs,and the laughing would start.

Guess what? That punk only served 3 months and then sent back home to Ohio with his wealthy dad! The judge didn't want to hurt the young animal's future. In the same note ANOTHER young man just kissed a girl in a bar and they gave him 12 years in prison for rape!
    Yeah, I heard that story. White college woman, black college man. Zero evidence beyond her complaint and the jury voted 12-0 to convict. Sadly, we can't say "remember when American justice was really 'American just us'?" because we still are not equal partners in this society. Every day, I read something else that rips at my soul.

JERRY,THOSE ARE THE PARTS OF[REMEMBER WHEN]THAT I TRY NOT TO,LIKE THE TIME I HAD A SHOTGUN POINTED AT ME FOR BEING IN A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD AT THE WRONG TIME,WHICH MEANT ...ANY TIME,OR THE TIME I WAS PICKED UP BECAUSE I[FIT]THE DISCRIPTION OF A BANK ROBBER..[YOUNG BLACK DUDE]BUT NO APOLOGY FROM THE COPS WHO DETAINED ME AFTER WASTING MY TIME..OR THE RACIST WOMAN I ONCE WORKED FOR WHO ALMOST CALLED ME THE[N]WORD...LUCKILY FOR BOTH OF US SHE DIDN'T...[maybe it was the crazed look in my eyes that did it]I'M GLAD THAT I'VE HAD MANY MORE GOOD[REMEMBER WHENS]THAN BAD ONES.

I'll never forget when I was a paperboy. There were a few older people on my route and they were all nice to me. There was one old white lady who I saw only when I went to collect. One day, she told me that I did a great job and gave me a dime for a tip [[1976). One Sunday morning, I woke up late and had to rush out before I could pick my hair. I flew through my route to get it done before my manager got a complaint. That old white lady was up waiting for me at 7:00 AM and when she saw me, she smiled and told me how nice I looked that day. I wondered what she was talking about and only later realized that she appreciated seeing a black kid with kinked up nappy hair. Probably reminded her of her younger days. I probably shouldn't have taken offense, but I kind of saw her differently after that.

BTW: This is not even a grievance. I have grievances that shaped my worldview and this anecdote doesn't rank.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    JERRY,THOSE ARE THE PARTS OF[REMEMBER WHEN]THAT I TRY NOT TO,LIKE THE TIME I HAD A SHOTGUN POINTED AT ME FOR BEING IN A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD AT THE WRONG TIME,WHICH MEANT ...ANY TIME,OR THE TIME I WAS PICKED UP BECAUSE I[FIT]THE DISCRIPTION OF A BANK ROBBER..[YOUNG BLACK DUDE]BUT NO APOLOGY FROM THE COPS WHO DETAINED ME AFTER WASTING MY TIME..OR THE RACIST WOMAN I ONCE WORKED FOR WHO ALMOST CALLED ME THE[N]WORD...LUCKILY FOR BOTH OF US SHE DIDN'T...[maybe it was the crazed look in my eyes that did it]I'M GLAD THAT I'VE HAD MANY MORE GOOD[REMEMBER WHENS]THAN BAD ONES.
    I've had my experiences too. They happened mostly in the last 20 years which is strange to me. I try hard not to think about it.

I'll never forget when I was a paperboy. There were a few older people on my route and they were all nice to me. There was one old white lady who I saw only when I went to collect. One day, she told me that I did a great job and gave me a dime for a tip [[1976). One Sunday morning, I woke up late and had to rush out before I could pick my hair. I flew through my route to get it done before my manager got a complaint. That old white lady was up waiting for me at 7:00 AM and when she saw me, she smiled and told me how nice I looked that day. I wondered what she was talking about and only later realized that she appreciated seeing a black kid with kinked up nappy hair. Probably reminded her of her younger days. I probably shouldn't have taken offense, but I kind of saw her differently after that.

BTW: This is not even a grievance. I have grievances that shaped my worldview and this anecdote doesn't rank.
    Jerry, I was a paperboy too in 1973. I had many elderly customers. Some would try to give me food; a funeral director tried to give me flowers for my mother left over from someone's service. All sorts of things. Back then, my neighborhood was about 70% white and 30% black. A year and half after I stopped delivering papers because I was busy with high school, a good chuck of the white residents moved away from the neighborhood after living there for decades! I was too young to really understand why that happened.

Jerry, I was a paperboy too in 1973. I had many elderly customers. Some would try to give me food; a funeral director tried to give me flowers for my mother left over from someone's service. All sorts of things. Back then, my neighborhood was about 70% white and 30% black. A year and half after I stopped delivering papers because I was busy with high school, a good chuck of the white residents moved away from the neighborhood after living there for decades! I was too young to really understand why that happened.
    My neighborhood was always about 95% black although it was a middle class area and all of us lived in two parent homes. Only five or so white kids went to my elementary school. My junior high school was probably about 60% white but it was a mile and a half from my neighborhood. High school was probably 50-50 and it was two miles away. Not surprisingly, Columbus lost a lawsuit that found it built small schools for white kids to keep them out of majority black classrooms and the overall makeup of most schools changed to about 70-30. That changed within a couple years after the lawsuit because the white people who could afford to move to the suburbs cut and ran out of the city.

My neighborhood was always about 95% black although it was a middle class area and all of us lived in two parent homes. Only five or so white kids went to my elementary school. My junior high school was probably about 60% white but it was a mile and a half from my neighborhood. High school was probably 50-50 and it was two miles away. Not surprisingly, Columbus lost a lawsuit that found it built small schools for white kids to keep them out of majority black classrooms and the overall makeup of most schools changed to about 70-30. That changed within a couple years after the lawsuit because the white people who could afford to move to the suburbs cut and ran out of the city.
    That sounds like the story of most cities in America and then people wonder why we are such a divided nation today. Amazing!

But let's get back to those happy times..like when your father would put you in charge when he left for work saying-ok son you're the man of the house til i get back-and being all of six made you feel so proud.

Who's had this experience - you could not go outside to play until the house was spotless!! Your buddies could ring the bell 10 times! Mom would remind them all ten times what you and your siblings were doing! Oh. And don't fail the clean test! You had to start all over again " until it's clean, mister"!!

Kids are so stupid. We used to waste more time griping about chores than it took to do them. With that said, I used to hate raking leaves in the fall but I can still smell them from when my brother and I would jump into the pile when we were done.

But let's get back to those happy times..like when your father would put you in charge when he left for work saying-ok son you're the man of the house til i get back-and being all of six made you feel so proud.
    That would have been my brother Danny. We would fight sometimes as soon as he pulled out of the driveway. LOL! I miss my Dad.

Kids are so stupid. We used to waste more time griping about chores than it took to do them. With that said, I used to hate raking leaves in the fall but I can still smell them from when my brother and I would jump into the pile when we were done.
    You know, I enjoyed raking the leaves compared to shoveling the snow! Cutting the grass was also fun to me. Either way you could see your progress doing any of those chores, unlike taking the garbage cans to the street.

Who's had this experience - you could not go outside to play until the house was spotless!! Your buddies could ring the bell 10 times! Mom would remind them all ten times what you and your siblings were doing! Oh. And don't fail the clean test! You had to start all over again " until it's clean, mister"!!
    My mother was and still the Queen of Clean! It is never clean enough for her.

Haaaaaaa,marv you ain't never lied i used to half do the job til mom rolled up in there and i had to do it right..funny because years later i thought that i had escaped but my wife is the same way..dang-hehehe!!

Haaaaaaa,marv you ain't never lied i used to half do the job til mom rolled up in there and i had to do it right..funny because years later i thought that i had escaped but my wife is the same way..dang-hehehe!!
    I learned tricks on how to get out of work from our neighbor, Mr. Dotson from across the street. He was around my grandfather's age. He would tell me that whenever my parents tried to show me how to do the chore, just pretend you just couldn't get it right and make them show you again. He said that by the time they finish showing me, that the work would be almost done! LOL! His grandson is the popular, well known Hip Hop artist named Lyfe Jennings. RIP Mr. Dotson and thanks!

My mother was and still the Queen of Clean! It is never clean enough for her.
    I inherited her clean freak habits.

If you're old enough....you'll remember these. I thought they tasted gross. They
    had an odd taste...to say the least. God only knows what those straws were coated
    with.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    If you're old enough....you'll remember these. I thought they tasted gross. They
    had an odd taste...to say the least. God only knows what those straws were coated
    with.
    Yeah, I remember. Weren't they coated with wax?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    with.
    We had something like that but with a different name. Very very not good.

And I know everybody enjoyed Goober, even though it was not in the proper proportion for a really good PB&J sandwich.

Speaking of straws and flavored powder, I know you remember Pixie Stix. I was addicted to these.

Speaking of straws and flavored powder, I know you remember Pixie Stix. I was addicted to these.
    I remember those and I go even further back. I remember the paper pixie straws with the flavored powder [[we thought it was Kool Aid) in them.

Remember these? I was just explaining to my nephew [[who is now 33 years old!)what these were and that they were our favorites when I was a kid:

Attachment 15945

Remember the "Presidential Physical Fitness award"? You could earn one by the number of push ups, sit ups, chin ups,etc you could do. LOL!

I remember that. Do you remember your teacher rubbing something on your arm to see if you had Tuberculosis? I never saw what happened to somebody who was positive because nobody in my class ever had it. I recall at least two and possibly three different grades where they did that.

I remember that. Do you remember your teacher rubbing something on your arm to see if you had Tuberculosis? I never saw what happened to somebody who was positive because nobody in my class ever had it. I recall at least two and possibly three different grades where they did that.
    I don't remember that. I do remember in 1966, my first grade teacher Mrs. Harste making me go to the front of the class and stay there until I figured out how to tie my shoe! LOL! See, my Dad always tied my shoes up in mornings before I left for school, so I hadn't learned how by that point. During the day my laces came a loose, so my teacher made me keep trying to tie them until I got them to at least look like they were tied up LOL!

Did anyone have a wooden sled?

Did anyone have a wooden sled?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  21.1 KB
    I had a wood Flexie Flyer back in the 1950s.

remember the "presidential physical fitness award"? You could earn one by the number of push ups, sit ups, chin ups,etc you could do. Lol!
    wow marv,i had forgotten all about that one,it was a cool thing back in the day.

Does anyone remember drinking something in grade school that was supposed to replace the polio shot? It was just a quick swallow but i don't think it lasted too long,a faint memory!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  21.1 KB
    I had a wood Flexie Flyer back in the 1950s.
    I had one and loved it! We had hills at the end of my block and some yard that had decent slopes to them. So much fun!

wow marv,i had forgotten all about that one,it was a cool thing back in the day.
    Yeah. I remember my brother, my cousins and me always tried out for it.

I had one and loved it! We had hills at the end of my block and some yard that had decent slopes to them. So much fun!
    I remember sledding in the park as a kid on a wooden sled. In the summer time, we'd take big pieces of cardboard to the top of a hill near the railroad tracks and slide down on the dirt, gravel and grass. The hill was about 35 feet high and had about a 45 degree angle. We called it Kill Hill.

Kids don't need a whole lot to have fun.

And I know everybody enjoyed Goober, even though it was not in the proper proportion for a really good PB&J sandwich.
    I preferred the grape and pb version.

It was crack for 70's kids!

Remember these? I was just explaining to my nephew [[who is now 33 years old!)what these were and that they were our favorites when I was a kid:

Attachment 15945
    Yah!! Ice cream truck fave!��

And the test everybody had to take in the gym - 'to see if you got a crooked spine.' Freaked out every grade level!

Or the one in gym class, where you had to climb to the roof on an itchy humungous rope! Torture. Not kid-friendly.