[REMOVE ADS]

Page 17 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

LOL. That's the first thing that I thought about when I saw the book in your post. Can you imagine how telling kids to be respectful would be received in 2016? Parents hardly even do that anymore.

This is what was on TV on Sunday mornings as we got ready for church. I still remember some of the morals from some of the episodes:

Attachment 11014

Yup. "Davey and Goliath" still pops up on the low power Christian stations in our area.

Do you guys remember when local stations would have late night or mid-day movie hosts? We used to have "Chiller Theater" on Friday nights and I used to fall asleep before the movies ended. I love old monster movies to this day.

I used to watch Davey and. Goliath every Sunday. Also Elvira mistress of the dark on Saturdays. And you can forget pippi longstocking. In LA the family film festival came on every Saturday and Sunday on channel 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    LOL. That's the first thing that I thought about when I saw the book in your post. Can you imagine how telling kids to be respectful would be received in 2016? Parents hardly even do that anymore.
    I don't think that is totally true. I see lots of parents disciplining their kids and teaching them how to have respect for others.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I used to watch Davey and. Goliath every Sunday.
    I watched it and it came on every weekday morning on the ABC affiliate before "Dennis The Menace" reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't think that is totally true. I see lots of parents disciplining their kids and teaching them how to have respect for others.
    I was speaking generally. When I was a kid, parents appreciated neighbors who kept an eye out for their kids. Now? People who tell some parents [[not all) that their kids are misbehaving might get shot in some areas. I've seen plenty of kids go nuts on their parents in public settings. I'm sure most parents teach their children right from wrong. But there are plenty [[like the affluenza mom) who don't want to be bothered with the task of parenting.

I was speaking generally. When I was a kid, parents appreciated neighbors who kept an eye out for their kids. Now? People who tell some parents [[not all) that their kids are misbehaving might get shot in some areas. I've seen plenty of kids go nuts on their parents in public settings. I'm sure most parents teach their children right from wrong. But there are plenty [[like the affluenza mom) who don't want to be bothered with the task of parenting.
    I'll never forget about 12 years ago on Long Island I saw this 8 year old boy throw and hit his mother with a lunch box at a Targets because she was buying him one he did not like! She apologized to him and to the cashier!!!! I nearly fell out.

I'll never get used to the ones who laugh when their three year old kids break off a stream of profanity that would make a sailor blush.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'll never forget about 12 years ago on Long Island I saw this 8 year old boy throw and hit his mother with a lunch box at a Targets because she was buying him one he did not like! She apologized to him and to the cashier!!!! I nearly fell out.
    Have me try that with my moms. I would be snatched up and drop kicked faster than I could yell 911

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Have me try that with my moms. I would be snatched up and drop kicked faster than I could yell 911
    Have me try that with my Dad back in the 60s and he would have probably "disappeared" me. LOL!

LOL. I laugh when I hear about kids using the threat of reporting their parents to Child Protective Services to get things from their parents. My folks would have given me a phone and a phone book before making me pack my bag and wait for them on the porch.

LOL. I laugh when I hear about kids using the threat of reporting their parents to Child Protective Services to get things from their parents. My folks would have given me a phone and a phone book before making me pack my bag and wait for them on the porch.

That is the major difference between now and in MY day. They had a dept called Child Study Institute [[aka Kids Jail) you were sent there for infractions such as being expelled from school to stealing bikes! Adults had all of the power. LOL!

That is the major difference between now and in MY day. They had a dept called Child Study Institute [[aka Kids Jail) you were sent there for infractions such as being expelled from school to stealing bikes! Adults had all of the power. LOL!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  21.1 KB
    When I was young they sent the badly behaved kids to "Reform School". That was like a prison. It had guards, and the principal was like a warden. It was where all the future burglars, armed robbers and murderers could meet each other. In Winnipeg, it was run by the city's school district. I'm not positive, but I believe that in Chicago, the reform schools may have been run by juvenile authorities within the Correctional Dept. [[e.g. under the same umbrella as the Police Dept.). They may have been analogous to the "boot camps" that exist today.

That's because in our day, nothing would have happened, even if there was a CPS. Today, they can be investigated, have their jobs screwed up, and even go to jail. So, the threat is real.

In our day, they would have shipped us off to a boys or girl's camp, which was actually a juvenile detention, so you didn't want to make that call.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 528
    When I was young they sent the badly behaved kids to "Reform School". That was like a prison. It had guards, and the principal was like a warden. It was where all the future burglars, armed robbers and murderers could meet each other. In Winnipeg, it was run by the city's school district. I'm not positive, but I believe that in Chicago, the reform schools may have been run by juvenile authorities within the Correctional Dept. [[e.g. under the same umbrella as the Police Dept.). They may have been analogous to the "boot camps" that exist today.
    Robb, in New York City we have actual prisons for children. They are called Juvenile Justice Centers. In 2004 I was given a tour of the Juvenile Justice Center in the Bronx. It was an eye opening experience. Housed in this fortress with tons of barbed wire circling the roof and a main entrance door that weighed a ton were hundreds of kids that had committed serious crime. 35 of the inmates had killed their own parents. Others had murdered other children. They wore the orange jumpsuits like you see in adult prisons and were shackled together at the ankles when they were walked from one area to another. The sleeping areas were arranged in pods with heavy plexi-glass along the wall of each space to view the kids inside. One girl actually threaten me for looking at her!

In Columbus, we have two detainment facilities, TICO and Forensic, for kids who were convicted of crime. We also have Buckeye Youth Ranch and many group homes for the ones who can't be sufficiently cared for by their parents. To show how things have changed over the years, if a kid is caught for truancy for the third time, the parent[[s) can be fined or jailed for lack of control. That's how the tail comes to wag the dog.

Hmmm...republicans, with the help of Bill Clinton, got stricter penalties for child neglect and abuse in the 90s, and now when the system they created actually works, they whine about government intrusion in their lives.

Well, whadya expect from a group that bitches about a balanced budget, gets one [[thanks to working with Clinton), sells it out to buy Dubya a presidency, and then bitches again about the guy who inherited it? And their backwoods base that was happy to sell their votes for $500 but eager to blame the Black guy [[who wasn't even in federal office) for their ridiculous choice? You can't make this stuff up.

Well, whadya expect from a group that bitches about a balanced budget, gets one [[thanks to working with Clinton), sells it out to buy Dubya a presidency, and then bitches again about the guy who inherited it? And their backwoods base that was happy to sell their votes for $500 but eager to blame the Black guy [[who wasn't even in federal office) for their ridiculous choice? You can't make this stuff up.
    They turn it around and say we make it up. And, their lies get repeated so much that everyone believes it.

You know who I blame for a lot of this mess? Democrats and liberal/progressives. They don't toot their own horn. They don't brag. They don't run on their achievements. They didn't buy up media and exploit it like conservatives and Rupert Murdoch did. I guess they always just thought everyone would see through republiKKKan/conservatives lies. They were wrong. The largely ignorant and unaware public gets spoon-fed crap because they ignore the world around them and are easily brainwashed. Now you have conservatives whining about the so-called liberal media bias, when almost all of the media you hear, see, and read is controlled by conservatives. Even on Sunday mornings on liberal newscasts, look at who they give airtime to: conservatives! Go on the internet, where most of the under 65 crowd gets their news: pull anything up and what do you see in any search engine? Conservative viewpoints. Conservative blogs and news agencies.

All in all, liberals have done a very shitty job of getting their message out. When something comes up on a news site, Facebook, or Twitter, what do you see happens? The far-right always dominates the comments. Why aren't liberals/progressives doing that? Because they are passive! Why aren't the democrats and liberals as brash, loudmouthed, and outspoken as the conservatives? While the Democrats and liberal/progressives are trying to make this a better place to live, the right wing is successfully winning over the hearts and minds of the country by lying at the top of their lungs. That is the truth. Their strategy is a long-term one. The hiccup in their master plan was President Barrack Obama. That's part of why they oppose him so much.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-24-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Exactly. I'm wondering why the MSM continues to ignore the chairman of the Benghazi committee, who proudly declared that the purpose of the hearings is to erode confidence in Hilary Clinton when they report on the illegal leaks that keep coming out. But only that, but they also conveniently ignore the fact that she broke no laws and that any top secret it confidential e-mails are because they were reclassified after the fact.

I'm still tripping over Trump kicking protesters out and the news making them look like they are crazy after the tea baggers screamed through Democrats' town hall meetings in 2010 and were presented like earnest but frustrated Mercans exercising their right to free speech.

And you're right about the Democrats. They ran from the president's record in the mid-terms and has their asses handed to them. What as bunch of milquetoasts.

Exactly. I'm wondering why the MSM continues to ignore the chairman of the Benghazi committee, who proudly declared that the purpose of the hearings is to erode confidence in Hilary Clinton when they report on the illegal leaks that keep coming out. But only that, but they also conveniently ignore the fact that she broke no laws and that any top secret it confidential e-mails are because they were reclassified after the fact.
    Uh...maybe you don't keep a close eye on the news, but this all was all over the MSM news cycle months ago.

I'm still tripping over Trump kicking protesters out and the news making them look like they are crazy after the tea baggers screamed through Democrats' town hall meetings in 2010 and were presented like earnest but frustrated Mercans exercising their right to free speech.
    The MSM has paid so much attention to the republicans that few people are even thinking about the democrats, except for the younger generation, who don't get their news from TV. They like Bernie Sanders because they care about income equality. They're the ones dealing with it. The republicans are largely old and retired, and want the world to go back to what they were comfortable with.

And you're right about the Democrats. They ran from the president's record in the mid-terms and has their asses handed to them. What as bunch of milquetoasts.
    And, they still haven't learned. The ones who are running are still quiet and passive.

Uh...maybe you don't keep a close eye on the news, but this all was all over the MSM news cycle months ago.
    Stay with me here... They still bring up the e-mails and her liability in the incident, but they never bring up the fact that the committee has a partisan purpose anymore. This stayed in the news for two days but it is no longer talked about, even though leaks continue without question as to why.

The MSM has paid so much attention to the republicans that few people are even thinking about the democrats, except for the younger generation, who don't get their news from TV. They like Bernie Sanders because they care about income equality. They're the ones dealing with it. The republicans are largely old and retired, and want the world to go back to what they were comfortable with.
    In 2009, Tea Baggers were disruptive to the point the news led off with the phenomenon. They screamed and cursed while looking insane. The news went to great lengths to give them a voice, as if their cause excused their lack of decorum. With Muslim, Black Lives Matter, and progressive protesters at Republican events, they are presented as rude afterthoughts.

And it's interesting that the sound bites over non-issues get heavy play on the evening news while things that the Dems talk about, like minimum wage, Wall Street reform, healthcare, and criminal justice reform are seldom, if ever worthy of news attention at the major networks or cable news outlets.

And it's interesting that the sound bites over non-issues get heavy play on the evening news while things that the Dems talk about, like minimum wage, Wall Street reform, healthcare, and criminal justice reform are seldom, if ever worthy of news attention at the major networks or cable news outlets.
    That is because the democrats/liberals/progressives allowed the republicans and conservatives to control the discussion.

Robb, in New York City we have actual prisons for children. They are called Juvenile Justice Centers. In 2004 I was given a tour of the Juvenile Justice Center in the Bronx. It was an eye opening experience. Housed in this fortress with tons of barbed wire circling the roof and a main entrance door that weighed a ton were hundreds of kids that had committed serious crime. 35 of the inmates had killed their own parents. Others had murdered other children. They wore the orange jumpsuits like you see in adult prisons and were shackled together at the ankles when they were walked from one area to another. The sleeping areas were arranged in pods with heavy plexi-glass along the wall of each space to view the kids inside. One girl actually threaten me for looking at her!
Views: 480
    California and, Illinois, [[and I dare say, most US states with populations above a few million), have juvenile detention centers that are de-facto prisons.

There is huge profit in prisons. There are many [[including myself) who believe that mass incarceration has less to do with criminal justice than it does with making sure the right political donors are rewarded with a steady stream of inmates for crimes that barely warrant jail, let alone years in a prison.

I supported the legalization initiative in Ohio last November. It went down really hard for some of the most BS reasons, in my opinion. I don't even smoke but I think we spend too much money and effort on the bogus drug war. I knew it wouldn't pass though, because there's too much money for state and local law enforcement for sending people - predominantly Black, hispanic, and broke - to prison for possession of marijuana. In nearly a century of cracking down on weed possession and consumption, we still have the "problem" of people getting high when half the appeal of weed is its criminality.

But as I said, take those folks out of the general population [[and release those who were convicted before legalization) and we can save a lot of loot for schools, shore up the infrastructure, and invest in the economy. But we don't want kids eating marijuana candy, do we? That's one of the arguments they used to get an emotional response for voting the measure down.

MY MOM HAD A RULE FOR US EVEN THINKING [which we didn't]ABOUT CUTTIN UP IN PUBLIC...EMBARASS ME AND I'LL EMBARASS YOU[mom didn't play]OH AND WORKED FOR MY KIDS TOO.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    MY MOM HAD A RULE FOR US EVEN THINKING [which we didn't]ABOUT CUTTIN UP IN PUBLIC...EMBARASS ME AND I'LL EMBARASS YOU[mom didn't play]OH AND WORKED FOR MY KIDS TOO.
    My Mom had her covert ways of public punishment...... she would do the old pinch your arm and then twist the pinch LOL! Oh that shit hurt.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-29-2016 at 06:47 PM.

HEY MARV,I GOT ONE OF THOSE FROM AN AUNT[they didn't play either]OUCH!!!

HEY MARV,I GOT ONE OF THOSE FROM AN AUNT[they didn't play either]OUCH!!!
    Did you? LOL! My mother is an expert at it. She could be talking to a neighbor, the postman or whomever. If you came running up and interrupted her, she would put the pitch hold on your arm and twist it without missing a beat. LOL!

Remember the[look]one of those from mom and you would want to crawl into a hole and cover yourself,as a matter of fact when the[look]came you had better be moving away fast!!!

How many have taken a school trip to the airport and sat in the cockpit?....pretty cool and the stewertesses were cute too...of course today the little twerps would be trying to fly the plane.

I never sat in a cockpit. I remember when my uncle Buddy would take a bunch of us to the airport for the sole purpose of watching airplanes take off and land. Back then, you could entertain kids for hours with something simple like that. Nowadays, you have to the kids Prozac to get them to sit still for more than a few minutes.

Does anybody remember the old push button car radios? Those were great back in the days.

Remember when we thought that[bucket seats]were the coolest thing going?

I kind of liked being able to sit three across in the front seat, myself... I remember when my uncle bought his conversion van, though. I was quick to run to one of the bucket seats on it so that I didn't have to sit beside somebody. LOL.

Do you remember making sure there was an empty seat between you and a friend at the movie theater? The prevailing logic is that some hot chick might come in and need a seat, so you wanted to make sure you had one available beside you. We took it to another level, though. If the last available seat was between two of three friends, a fight would nearly break out over who would have to "sit bitch" in the middle. [[I know, that's stupid but that's how we rolled...)

Jerry back in the day,i always had a[hot chick]with me at the movies,hehehehe!!!

I can't say that. I'm talking about days when none of my crew was old enough to drive. There weren't a lot of hot chicks willing to ride for 45 minutes on the bus to see a flick with an eighth grader. But the juvie mind has to account for the eventuality that some super hot sophomore might somehow find herself in need of a seat and companionship. Hence, the empty seat. LOL. Cheers to being young and dumb. And two cheers to best friends.

How many have taken a school trip to the airport and sat in the cockpit?....pretty cool and the stewertesses were cute too...of course today the little twerps would be trying to fly the plane.
    No, our school field trips were to places like the museum of art, the zoo, television station, mayor's office etc.

I never sat in a cockpit. I remember when my uncle Buddy would take a bunch of us to the airport for the sole purpose of watching airplanes take off and land. Back then, you could entertain kids for hours with something simple like that. Nowadays, you have to the kids Prozac to get them to sit still for more than a few minutes.

Does anybody remember the old push button car radios? Those were great back in the days.
    I remember playing with those buttons in my dad and granddad's car. Everything was AM. My brother and I would starting singing whatever the latest Beatles song was! LOL!

YEP,WE DID THAT TOO,HEHE....HEY WAIT A TRIPTAKIN MINUTE HERE...YOU WENT TO THE TV STATIONS IN SCHOOL? THAT'S IT I'M SUEIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM FOR DEPRIVING ME OF MY TV EDUMACATION...[maybe they'll let me back in].

YEP,WE DID THAT TOO,HEHE....HEY WAIT A TRIPTAKIN MINUTE HERE...YOU WENT TO THE TV STATIONS IN SCHOOL? THAT'S IT I'M SUEIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM FOR DEPRIVING ME OF MY TV EDUMACATION...[maybe they'll let me back in].
    Yeah, me and my Cub Scouts troop were even on the Bozo the Clown show! LOL! This was back in the 60s.

I got a few bozo's here in da hood.

Views: 482
    Yeah, me and my Cub Scouts troop were even on the Bozo the Clown show! LOL! This was back in the 60s.
    Wasn't that show filmed in Chicago?

Remember those darge models with the square stering wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 482
    Wasn't that show filmed in Chicago?
    They had local "Bozo's" around the country. We had one in Toledo and along with Johnny Ginger and Mr. T.

We had Flippo the Clown in Columbus. He was a horribly boring afternoon movie host. It was only when I was in my teen years that I started listening to him and then I thought he was a hoot. Unfortunately, by then it was time for afternoon TV movies and local television hosts to disappear.

The best of these guys was the Ghoul, on Cleveland channel 61. He popped up around midnight on Saturday nights and absolutely trashed the movies that he played. He'd comment over the running film, play odd sound effects and songs, and generally have me laughing my ass off, even at movies that I liked.

The Ghoul had a little rubber frog toy that he played with. He did horrible things to that thing. Apparently, he lost his mind one evening and put a lit M-80 in the mouth of a live frog and blew it to pieces just as he screamed "Happy birthday, Froggy!!". He was fired immediately after and late night television has never been the same since then for me.

We had Flippo the Clown in Columbus. He was a horribly boring afternoon movie host. It was only when I was in my teen years that I started listening to him and then I thought he was a hoot. Unfortunately, by then it was time for afternoon TV movies and local television hosts to disappear.

The best of these guys was the Ghoul, on Cleveland channel 61. He popped up around midnight on Saturday nights and absolutely trashed the movies that he played. He'd comment over the running film, play odd sound effects and songs, and generally have me laughing my ass off, even at movies that I liked.

The Ghoul had a little rubber frog toy that he played with. He did horrible things to that thing. Apparently, he lost his mind one evening and put a lit M-80 in the mouth of a live frog and blew it to pieces just as he screamed "Happy birthday, Froggy!!". He was fired immediately after and late night television has never been the same since then for me.
    Jerry, the Ghoul was popular enough that they syndicated it and it was shown in Detroit Metro on WXON Channel 20. We had Sir Graves Ghastly that came on Sat afternoons on Channel 2. Our local movie hosts [[only Detroiters will know these names LOL) We had Rita Bell Prize Movie that came on in the mornings on Channel 7 WXYZ. I mostly saw her if I was home sick from school. Then you have the king, Bill Kennedy at The Movies that started off on Canadian CKLW 9 then moved to Detroit Channel 50. In Toledo, there was Joe Aston and "Dialing for Dollars" during breaks in the afternoon movie "The Big Show" on Channel 11 WTOL in Toledo.

In addition to Flippo the Clown, we had the All Night Theater with Jerry Reese. That dude was horrible. He knew next to nothing about movies and he talked for 10 minutes before showing a five minute movie clip and then talking for another 10 minutes. It literally took three hours to show 60 minutes of an edited 90 minute movie.

We saw the Ghoul when cable TV found its way to Columbus. Cleveland also had Superhost who popped up on Saturday afternoons on channel 43, who was funny unintentionally as well as Hoolihan and Big Chuck on channel 8, who came on late on Friday nights. They were a freaking hoot.

Channel 43 also had a guy named John Lanigan who did their weekday afternoon movies. You'd swear that this guy hated that assignment from the look on his face. He had a daily "guess what movie this is" segment where he'd literally show you two seconds of a ridiculously obscure movie for something like a $50 prize.

John Lanigan and the guy who played Superhost were also part of their station's news team, so it was funny watching them deliver news while imagining one with his nose painted red.

In addition to Flippo the Clown, we had the All Night Theater with Jerry Reese. That dude was horrible. He knew next to nothing about movies and he talked for 10 minutes before showing a five minute movie clip and then talking for another 10 minutes. It literally took three hours to show 60 minutes of an edited 90 minute movie.

We saw the Ghoul when cable TV found its way to Columbus. Cleveland also had Superhost who popped up on Saturday afternoons on channel 43, who was funny unintentionally as well as Hoolihan and Big Chuck on channel 8, who came on late on Friday nights. They were a freaking hoot.

Channel 43 also had a guy named John Lanigan who did their weekday afternoon movies. You'd swear that this guy hated that assignment from the look on his face. He had a daily "guess what movie this is" segment where he'd literally show you two seconds of a ridiculously obscure movie for something like a $50 prize.

John Lanigan and the guy who played Superhost were also part of their station's news team, so it was funny watching them deliver news while imagining one with his nose painted red.
    That's funny Jerry about the afternoon movies host. I can remember we could get Channel 43 on certain days once my Dad got the rotating tower antenna.