[REMOVE ADS]

Page 23 of 77 FirstFirst ... 13 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 33 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    My neighborhood was integrated. My elementary/Jr. High was 60% white, 40% black when I started and became about 70% black and 30% white by the time I graduated from Jr. High. My High School was 98% black. My college was 99.9% white. Through all of that I never had any real problems except one asshole [[who happened to be black) spit on my new sneakers during Freshman basketball practice in high school.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  21.1 KB
    My first high school, in West Kildonan, Manitoba, was 100% Caucasian. My second, in South Chicago, was about 50% Caucasian, and 50% African American [[or whatever people in North America, whose forbears came from Africa to North America in the 16th through 19th Century, want to be called). My third high School, in Homewood, Illinois, was about 90% Caucasian, and 10% African American.

I enjoyed my inner-city high school in Chicago best. The students there were almost all middle class, with a few poor kids. My las high school, in the Chicago suburbs, had a lot of rich kids, who wouldn't associate with us poorer kids. I enjoyed my first high school, too, as I was a hockey player. My schools in Illinois didn't have hockey teams.

I was 22 the first time I had the N-word hurled at me by a car full of white guys passing by in Denver Co. I was at the bus stop behind my building on my way to work one afternoon.
Views: 348
    All through junior high school, we had Ukranian gang members calling us the "K word" , and jumping us in big numbers [[outnumbering us).

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    My first high school, in West Kildonan, Manitoba, was 100% Caucasian. My second, in South Chicago, was about 50% Caucasian, and 50% African American [[or whatever people in North America, whose forbears came from Africa to North America in the 16th through 19th Century, want to be called). My third high School, in Homewood, Illinois, was about 90% Caucasian, and 10% African American.

I enjoyed my inner-city high school in Chicago best. The students there were almost all middle class, with a few poor kids. My las high school, in the Chicago suburbs, had a lot of rich kids, who wouldn't associate with us poorer kids. I enjoyed my first high school, too, as I was a hockey player. My schools in Illinois didn't have hockey teams.
    All throughout my schooling, my schools were around 70% White, 19% Mexican, 10% Black, and 1% Asian. That is the racial breakdown I am used to even today. I had to put up with a lot of racial crap from mostly white kids, but some from Mexican ones too. Most kids weren't racists, but it's always that small bunch. In my school, they didn't all pal around together, they were here and there.

We didn't have gangs at my school.

I was 22 the first time I had the N-word hurled at me by a car full of white guys passing by in Denver Co. I was at the bus stop behind my building on my way to work one afternoon.
    I was nine years old when I first heard the n-word. It was at school, and from a white kid who transferred to town because his father took a pastor job at my church. Soon after, some of the other kids started it too. Fourth grade was also about the time when the Black kids and the White kids started to gradually separate, and that cycle became mostly complete by high school. However, during Jr. high, everyone kind of re-integrated.
    Last edited by soulster; 08-21-2016 at 01:15 AM.

Views: 348
    All through junior high school, we had Ukranian gang members calling us the "K word" , and jumping us in big numbers [[outnumbering us).
    That sucks, but that is usually the way cowards come at you.......

Attachment 11620
    i have one suit, that i bought in 1972 [[yes, it still fits perfectly), which i wear to weddings, bar mitzvahs and funerals. I work at home, so no formal clothes. As an artist, i can wear jeans and a t-shirt at meetings with my editors, and at drawing signings.

As an employee for only one year [[engineering firm), i had to wear a suit every day. For 20 years after that, i worked for the un, as a consultant on development projects in the 3rd world. I only had to wear a suit a few days a year, in meetings with government representatives [[i only had that suit i bought in 1972). In 10 years at motown, i wore jeans and t-shirts or pendletons.
    robb ,that is why you're a legend...and my hero!!!!

Remember when the men's singles at the U.S. Open Tennis Championship used to be won by Americans?

Yep and they all wore[blue tips]

Remember those old heavy hoover vacuums that our moms used to use,darn things wore a ton and those dust bags were toxic,whenever it was time to vacuum i made sure that i was far away,hehe!!

Wow
    People can be so horrible

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember those old heavy hoover vacuums that our moms used to use,darn things wore a ton and those dust bags were toxic,whenever it was time to vacuum i made sure that i was far away,hehe!!
    Yeah, shit yeah! LOL! My mom use to wag that thing up the stairs as she vacuumed them. I always hated when she would ask me to go get it for her LOL! She still has one like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Wow
    People can be so horrible
    What made it horrible to me was that I could not get at them because they sped by in car.

yeah, shit yeah! Lol! My mom use to wag that thing up the stairs as she vacuumed them. I always hated when she would ask me to go get it for her lol! She still has one like that.
    my wife had one too,until she turned her back and i sold it for scrap metal.

my wife had one too,until she turned her back and i sold it for scrap metal.
    I could not believe a company would market and sale an appliance that heavy and awkward to woman for the most part. This is not being chauvinistic, just practical.

I was nine, and got called it at school.

What made it horrible to me was that I could not get at them because they sped by in car.
    Yea, true

That kind of thing both frustrates and saddens me SO much
    Why do people have to be so HORRIBLE? Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I was nine, and got called it at school.
    That is just awful
    I mean, you were just a kid!
    Awful awful awful

Ugh!!!

That is just awful
    I mean, you were just a kid!
    Awful awful awful

Ugh!!!
    It's more common than you think.

They got me about 35 years ago in a crowded movie theater. Somebody shouted it from behind my cousin and me. I didn't see who said it, but it wouldn't have mattered with two of us and 250 of them. I'm sure most of the crowd wasn't party to it, but had we started something, we'd likely be outnumbered and also likely to be the ones thrown in jail.

i could not believe a company would market and sale an appliance that heavy and awkward to woman for the most part. This is not being chauvinistic, just practical.
    marv,i just think it was the times we lived in,as technology got better lighter materials were invented to make em lighter...thank goodness.

It's more common than you think.
    It's sad, but I suppose it is

I will admit that I really don't know anything, I live a very sheltered and ignorant life!

I do know, however, that such discrimination is, quite frankly, absolutely disgusting

[[Soz about getting all dramatic)

Hey tomatotom,you may be are toohard on yourself,just because you lived a sheltered life doesn't make you ignorant,just not exposed to certain things..that's just life.

Very true, arr&bee
    Thank you 😀

Let's remember something more pleasant, ok?

I don't know if you guys had them where you grew up, but one of the most pleasant things I can remember from my childhood days is being told that "tomorrow is a teachers' meeting, we don't have any school". Those were like unscheduled holidays that popped up somewhat unexpectedly once every school year.

I loved teachers' meetings.

Let's remember something more pleasant, ok?
    Yea, sorry Marv, got a little deep there
    LOL! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I don't know if you guys had them where you grew up, but one of the most pleasant things I can remember from my childhood days is being told that "tomorrow is a teachers' meeting, we don't have any school". Those were like unscheduled holidays that popped up somewhat unexpectedly once every school year.

Heck yeah, teacher meeting days!!

Yeah, but then there were the dreaded "Parent-Teachers" conferences when your parents would go up to the school to get a report on you directly from your teacher while you waited at home on pins and needles! LOL!

I also remember Parent - Teacher nights where you had to go with your parents to see your teacher and she would give her report on you right in front of you and your parents! I also made out on those ok.

Yeah, I'll never forget my Algebra teacher telling my mom that I was struggling after the first grading period during one of those conferences. Between them, they decided that instead of study hall, I would attend tutoring. The good news is that I'm now pretty good at Algebra and problem solving.

psssssssssssss...pssssssssssssss..over here jerry,look keep it down about being good at math and problem solving,if west reads this he may hire you to look over the contract I drew up for ms.moe[superstar]and then i'll have to pay her a real salary...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

It's sad, but I suppose it is

I will admit that I really don't know anything, I live a very sheltered and ignorant life!

I do know, however, that such discrimination is, quite frankly, absolutely disgusting

[[Soz about getting all dramatic)
    "Discrimination" is such a soft word that doesn't describe the situation. It is bullying and hatred.

Hey tomatotom,you may be are toohard on yourself,just because you lived a sheltered life doesn't make you ignorant,just not exposed to certain things..that's just life.
    I agree!

All of ours were scheduled.

Views: 245
    We had no surprise teacher meeting days. But we had "Blizzard Days" - when too much snow fell. We could have skied or snowshoed to school, but it was more practical to not open the schools on days with heavy dumpings and lots of wind, and no visibility. Back in the late '40s and early '50s the street lights were weaker, too.

Views: 245
    We had no surprise teacher meeting days. But we had "Blizzard Days" - when too much snow fell. We could have skied or snowshoed to school, but it was more practical to not open the schools on days with heavy dumpings and lots of wind, and no visibility. Back in the late '40s and early '50s the street lights were weaker, too.
    Robb, I remember. I use to LOVE the "Blizzards Days" or as they called them in other areas "Snow Days". I'm not talking 3-4 inches of snow and schools closed, we had to get at least a foot of snow before they would even consider it and we usually would not find out until the morning before school was to start. I remember being out for 2 weeks after the Great Blizzard of '78. One week during the December 1974 storm and days here and there in other years.

Teacher/Parent meeting days were always on the calendar and scheduled so we all knew when they were.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...what blizzard days???we allllwayyyys had to go to school,of course some times the teacher didn't make it in so,as a treat we had the principle or vice principle sit in...and they never smiled.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...what blizzard days???we allllwayyyys had to go to school,of course some times the teacher didn't make it in so,as a treat we had the principle or vice principle sit in...and they never smiled.
    JAI way up North where I grew up, the blizzards sometimes were so bad that the National Guard was called in to drop food bundles in the streets. LOL! We would walk to school even if it were 10 deg below zero. I remember in January 1977 it went more than 25 degrees below zero.

Hey marv we used to get food bundles too...oh that was welfare,never mind.

Hey marv we used to get food bundles too...oh that was welfare,never mind.
    Gov'ment CHEEEESSSSSEEEEE! LOL!

Hey remember those pre[polariod]days when we had to send our photos to the drug store to get em developed,and our anticipation[about a week]to get em back?

Hey remember those pre[polariod]days when we had to send our photos to the drug store to get em developed,and our anticipation[about a week]to get em back?
    Yeah and how disappointed we'd be when some would come back blurry. LOL

I remember my father had a camera with the big flash bulb and how we would have to stand or sit completely still for him to take a pic that would not be blurry.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..hey marv i still have the old brownie,sadly it doesn't work but it's a classic.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..hey marv i still have the old brownie,sadly it doesn't work but it's a classic.
    I still have my first camera, an insta-matic and my first REAL camera a Pentax 1000 I bought at 2:00 in the morning in Times Square over 30 years ago!

I love this post and how we come up with these classic memories..who's next??

What are your earliest memories of going to the barber shop?

Even after Polaroid came out, you had to do that. Remember those pocket cameras? They were all the rage in the 70s.

I remember my sister had an Kodak Instamatic that used those cube flash bulbs.

Both kinds of cameras used cartridge-type film. I think Fuji still sells the film, but they are next to impossible to find. they went away with the disposable cameras that were still popular ten years ago.

Nowadays,. it'a all about either highly expensive cameras, digital cameras, and the digital cameras on your smartphone. Thing is, even with so many ways to get the picture off the phone and into your SD card, cloud service, or computer, many people still don't know how. The operating systems really aren't that easy to navigate. Wasn't it easier to just snap the picture, let it slide out, and wave it around for five minutes?

My dad taking me to the barber on the army base when I was a little kid. To this day, I see him, and get my hair cut at the place he started, even though he retired two years ago.

My dad taking me to the barber on the army base when I was a little kid. To this day, I see him, and get my hair cut at the place he started, even though he retired two years ago.
    Well my clearest, earliest memory of going to the barber shop was early 1964 [[Poor Clark's Barbershop which is still operating today!). My dad dropping me and my brother off but before leaving giving the barber instructions on how HE wanted our hair cut. I remember the little black and white TV there and watching ALI vs Liston on Wide World of Sports.

JAI way up North where I grew up, the blizzards sometimes were so bad that the National Guard was called in to drop food bundles in the streets. LOL! We would walk to school even if it were 10 deg below zero. I remember in January 1977 it went more than 25 degrees below zero.
Views: 220
    I was used to 60 degrees F below zero regular temperature and probably 100 below wind chill. I'm sure we had school opened on many days when the temperature was 20 below. I remember whole winter months that averaged under 10 below zero F, for the whole month [[average of temperature every hour of the month - meaning the highs could have averaged 0 degrees, and the lows 20 below zero.

Views: 220
    I was used to 60 degrees F below zero regular temperature and probably 100 below wind chill. I'm sure we had school opened on many days when the temperature was 20 below. I remember whole winter months that averaged under 10 below zero F, for the whole month [[average of temperature every hour of the month - meaning the highs could have averaged 0 degrees, and the lows 20 below zero.
    Oh Robb, if we included the wind chill factors, it would easily get 35 degrees or more below zero with the wind coming off of Lake Erie. I remember broken pipes in schools sometimes, snow almost covering the entire first level of the house etc,etc.

I remember the barber used to have a plank that was rested on the arms of the chairs for children to sit on. He used to give me a tube of Rowntrees Fruit Gums on the way out for being a good boy.

I was about four when i went with my father to the shop in da hood[where else?]