[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt sony receiver. Living with shared walls, i can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so i bought one that i can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so i can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old marantz 4240 that i bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components i plugged into it [[a sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; i was never an audiophile, just a music fan...
    hey jerry,that thing is beautiful,i'm getting misty over here.

Yeah, it more than served the purpose. Remember when you could knock on a neighbor's door to ask them to turn the music down if it was too loud without being shot? When did talking to people without kissing their butts about your concerns become disrespectful?

I don't know man,but at some point it all went to hell...remember when you could compliment a lady on her appearance without her sueing you for sexual harrassment?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I don't know man,but at some point it all went to hell...remember when you could compliment a lady on her appearance without her sueing you for sexual harrassment?
    Or treated a woman in public special without being considered a male chauvinist or having ulterior motives..................

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yeah, it more than served the purpose. Remember when you could knock on a neighbor's door to ask them to turn the music down if it was too loud without being shot? When did talking to people without kissing their butts about your concerns become disrespectful?
    I had that problem with this Puerto Rican chick [[yeah I said chick! LOL!) that lived downstairs from me. I did not play my stereo for nearly 4 years to avoid committing a homicide. LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-21-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Hey marv,i was just over in the motown section[the freda payne post]and was crackin up...i started to invite em all down to[greasy grady's]for dinner...that'll loosen em up literally,heheheheheheheehehe!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...meth you're a hoot.

Remember the old Hai Karate commercials? Can't sell cologne by having a man beat up women anymore. But that's probably a good thing...

Hey marv,i was just over in the motown section[the freda payne post]and was crackin up...i started to invite em all down to[greasy grady's]for dinner...that'll loosen em up literally,heheheheheheheehehe!!!
    They need loosing up! LOL! You cannot say anything good about any singer except Diana Ross because is [[to them) the greatest God ever created LOL!!! Give me Freda any day!

hey jerry,that thing is beautiful,i'm getting misty over here.
    Much nicer than the generic black components from the 80s and 90s!

And, they appreciated it, too! Now you can get fired and be forced to register as a sex offender!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They need loosing up! LOL! You cannot say anything good about any singer except Diana Ross because is [[to them) the greatest God ever created LOL!!! Give me Freda any day!
    Aw shit! You just had to mention the name of DR! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!

Remember the old Hai Karate commercials? Can't sell cologne by having a man beat up women anymore. But that's probably a good thing...

My favorite Hai Karate commercial was the one of the diving out of the plane and the women parachuting right behind him LOL

Here's one that if you are over 40 yrs old you should remember:

This one is like a companion commercial to the Hai Karate ones LOL! I know you guys remember this product. [[Madison Ave. was cheesy in those days.)

And 'member this one?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  21.1 KB
    What about the commercial in which a French Foreign Legionnaire says to his colleague [[in a French accented English), "You left your family defenceless??? !!! Get off my sand dune!!!" I don't even remember the product. Was it an antiperspirent?

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    And 'member this one?

Views: 503
    Iron Eyes Cody. Interesting that a Native American, from a plains tribe, ended up with the same family name of Buffalo Bill Cody, who, personally, killed thousands of bison, which was much of the sustenance for the plains tribes. That's similar in negative irony to slaves taking on the family names of their masters.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    aw shit! You just had to mention the name of dr! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey soulster,i got greasy grady standin out front with sandwiches,no [dr]fan in thier right mind will get dare come over here without a certificate from the state health board.

Hey robb,according to iron eyes,he hated that commercial.

Yeah, but ol' Iron Eyes wasn't actually a Native American. He was actually Oscar de Corti, the son of Italian immigrants. He moved to Hollywood back when cowboy movies became popular and changed his identity, much like Rachel Dolezal recently did when she became "Black". Iron Eyes' story is truly interesting. If you want to read it, I provided a link.

http://priceonomics.com/the-true-sto...crying-indian/

Jerry you da man,i remember reading that to back in the day,but had forgotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrtGzu View Post
    And 'member this one?

Oh most definitely! I knew that one by just seeing the still photo of the Native American man crying.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 503
    Iron Eyes Cody. Interesting that a Native American, from a plains tribe, ended up with the same family name of Buffalo Bill Cody, who, personally, killed thousands of bison, which was much of the sustenance for the plains tribes. That's similar in negative irony to slaves taking on the family names of their masters.
    A very good observation Robb.

Aw shit! You just had to mention the name of DR! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!
    Oh right! I am very sorry Soulster man. I will try hard not to let that happen again. LOL!

Remember when you could have an accident and no one would end up getting sued?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when you could have an accident and no one would end up getting sued?
    Yeah, before 1977.

Remember when men wore hats year round?

Attachment 10110

Attachment 10111

Attachment 10112

The good old days weren't always so good.
    I'll need a bit of convincing on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'll need a bit of convincing on that one.
    From my perspective, those good old days had:

unchecked racism
    worse misogyny
    cigarette smoking anywhere one wanted to light up
    more trans-fats in foods

unchecked racism
    worse misogyny
    cigarette smoking anywhere one wanted to light up
    more trans-fats in foods
    I was referring to the specific points you selected from my post.

Remember when you would[cut]church and hang out with your buddies and spend that dime your mom gave you to put in the basket.hehehehehe?

Remember when arr&bee spelled his name "arrr&bee"?

Historians point out that he had considered going with " arrr&beee" at one time but decided it was just too Dionne "Warwicke".

Remember when you would[cut]church and hang out with your buddies and spend that dime your mom gave you to put in the basket.hehehehehe?
    I remember spending it in the basement of the church on cupcakes and other sweets. My Dad tore me up when he'd find out! LOL!

Umm marv,we put our dimes together and bought something a little stronger,hehehehehe!!!

unchecked racism - We still have issues with this one, in my opinion. It's actually cool to display it thanks to Faux News and the current iteration of the conservative movement.
    worse misogyny - With so many men having multiple babies by multiple women and women still being limited in job opportunities, I'd argue it's worse than ever.
    cigarette smoking anywhere one wanted to light up - Thank God for this one!
    more trans-fats in foods - We still have 30% of the population who are obese. There are still way too many foods that are fried or made with high fructose corn syrup.
    We haven't cleared all of these hurdles [[from my perspective, anyway).
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 09-23-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by methuselah2 View Post
    remember when arr&bee spelled his name "arrr&bee"?

Historians point out that he had considered going with " arrr&beee" at one time but decided it was just too dionne "warwicke".
    back when i was sober i was gonna spell it...our ann b.

Remember when our parents would put us in front of the tv and actually leave the room?

Does anybody remember galoshes? My mom would wrap my shoes in newspaper [[for some reason; never found out why) and then take five minutes to manipulate my feet into my galoshes. It only took me ten seconds to do it myself when it was the end of the school day [[minus the newpaper).

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...jerry i think i still have a pair somewhere.

Remember when our bible toting grandmothers thought that the[bikini]was the end of decency?

And the girls who were considered "fast"?

Remember when our bible toting grandmothers thought that the[bikini]was the end of decency?
    Both of my grandmothers had passed on long before I was born, but I am 100% sure that neither one of them were bible-thumpers. One was a schoolteacher, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    And the girls who were considered "fast"?
    But, those were the ones you wanted because you knew [[or the rumor was) that they "put out".

Umm marv,we put our dimes together and bought something a little stronger,hehehehehe!!!
    Uh huh , yeah see because you guys were bad boys! LOL!

But, those were the ones you wanted because you knew [[or the rumor was) that they "put out".
    They were THE ones every guy wanted LOL!

I remember my aunt who was a teacher and a bible toter,would see the rocketts on tv and conplain about those sinners and make us turn off the tv...we would crack up...those were the days.

Does anybody remember galoshes? My mom would wrap my shoes in newspaper [[for some reason; never found out why) and then take five minutes to manipulate my feet into my galoshes. It only took me ten seconds to do it myself when it was the end of the school day [[minus the newpaper).

We wore those as kids in the 60s. By the early 70s we wore steel toed brogues or combat boots LOL

I remember my aunt who was a teacher and a bible toter,would see the rocketts on tv and conplain about those sinners and make us turn off the tv...we would crack up...those were the days.
    My aunt's neighbor thought that any woman appearing on television in a sleeves dress was a hussy. LOL!