[REMOVE ADS]

Page 74 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 64 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,700 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Grocery carts should be used for what they were intended, wheeling your friends home when they've had too much to drink.

Ahhh yes...saturday night limos....

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you guys are still nuts!!

I'm listening to the sounds of-doo-wop...on the radio-how bout dat??

Remember when only women painted their nails?

Remember when no guy would be caught dead with a tiny dog?

I had one of these in the 5th grade...or thereabouts. I 'thought' I was SO cool.
    OMG....I was never cool. This didn't help. I also loaded that sucker up with several
    different color of pens [[ink), a pencil, a large rubber eraser, a comb...I was just a disgrace.
    Things haven't changed much. :[[

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember when no guy would be caught dead with a tiny dog?
    Yes, I see 200 lb. guys walking tiny dogs all the time. Somehow they look rather
    'mismatched'...but, the wife may have sent them out the door for a walk and no questions asked. Peace in the family!
    My dog walks me...and he ain't tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

I had one of these in the 5th grade...or thereabouts. I 'thought' I was SO cool.
    OMG....I was never cool. This didn't help. I also loaded that sucker up with several
    different color of pens [[ink), a pencil, a large rubber eraser, a comb...I was just a disgrace.
    Things haven't changed much. :[[
    Remember these little dudes? I used to be jealous when my friends had four-colored ballpoint pens. Never owned one in my life, but when I picked them up, I could play with them for an hour without writing or drawing anything on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Remember these little dudes? I used to be jealous when my friends had four-colored ballpoint pens. Never owned one in my life, but when I picked them up, I could play with them for an hour without writing or drawing anything on paper.
    These were big at my job back in the day. Working in the hospital on 3-11 shift you used 'green' for your charting/paperwork. Night shift used 'red' and day shift used 'blue'. Reading a patients chart was a colorful experience, but easy to detect different shifts. Now it's all on a computer...no pens needed!

I remember when I was really little, my Grandmother had one of these in the basement. The damn thing scared the bejesus out of me. That 'wringer' looked
    like something out of a horror movie. She actually got her hand caught in there
    once....see...it'd eat you alive given the chance. My Grandparents finally ditched
    the monster and upgraded to something less sinister looking...and kinder.

My grandma had an old washer with a ringer, too. Things have come a long way. Remember when this was what you used to mow your lawn?

My grandma had an old washer with a ringer, too. Things have come a long way. Remember when this was what you used to mow your lawn?

Yes, and I had to use the darn thing a couple of times. It took forever. Good
    aerobics, I guess? I actually saw some guy using one of these last summer.
    He appeared to have a very small yard. Maybe he thought a power mower
    could be too much? He wasn't that old, either. Do they still sell them??

I used to have to mow the back garden with one of those when I was a kid. It put me off gardening for life.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I used to have to mow the back garden with one of those when I was a kid. It put me off gardening for life.
    LOL! You and me both...and I only used it a couple of times. Horrible things!

Yes, and I had to use the darn thing a couple of times. It took forever. Good
    aerobics, I guess? I actually saw some guy using one of these last summer.
    He appeared to have a very small yard. Maybe he thought a power mower
    could be too much? He wasn't that old, either. Do they still sell them??
    Great question. If they do, their biggest purchasers are probably parents who think their kids need something to do in the Summer besides Playstation.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...you guys had it good,we couldn't afford one of those,so we used scissors....i cut for a week and then my brother took over,we started in june and finished just before the first snowstorm...the good ol days!!!

For $81.00 you can pick one of these little beauties up at Lowe's!

Yeah,i can do that today,but back in the day pops wasn't gonna spend good [hooch]money when he had two healthy sons and a pair of sharp scissors,hehehehehehe!!!

Yeah,i can do that today,but back in the day pops wasn't gonna spend good [hooch]money when he had two healthy sons and a pair of sharp scissors,hehehehehehe!!!
    you should have been fathered-in a barbers license!

Remember back in the day when[security gaurds]were called[night watchmen]?

And when environmental services were called 'janitors'.

And when airline flight attendants were "stewardesses"?

And when hair salons/spas were called 'beauty shops'.

Does anyone remember when department stores had 'elevator operators'? I remember
    as a [[really) little kid seeing them in the bigger department stores. That was my career goal at the time. I thought it was SO cool. I was also fascinated with those 'tube's they
    put money in and sent off through this elaborate tubing system at the check out area. I don't know what that system was called? Pneumatic something??
    Last edited by lakeside; 10-26-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Remember when only women painted their nails?
    ...and only women wore buns and poofs; wore earrings and dresses? Harry Styles? Kid Cudi? I see you.

Or a tiny home?

...or a tiny car?

Then, their was the washboard/musical instrument, later on for wannabe country stars.

I believe so. My neighbor was using one. Looked new. As her husband had knee surgery and couldn't use the gas mower.

In the 80s, security officers to sound more cop- like. We called them toy cops.

Don't forget custodians.

Manufacturing plants and hotels had them too.
    Most banks still use the pneumatic system - drive thrus. The DMVs too, inspection lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    In the 80s, security officers to sound more cop- like. We called them toy cops.
    Depending on the guard, I call them rent-a-cops.

I also remember when administrative assistants were known as "secretaries" and automotive service technicians were simply "mechanics".

Depending on the guard, I call them rent-a-cops.

I also remember when administrative assistants were known as "secretaries" and automotive service technicians were simply "mechanics".
    Remember that episode of "The Jeffersons" when Florence upbraided anybody who called her a maid? "It's 'household tech-ni-ci-an'!!!!"

Remember when people 'waxed' the kitchen floor?

Folks that I know/knew used to dress up to go shopping or to the movies. I'm not even sure what "dressed up" means in 2021. Ugghhh... I'm officially my grandparents.

Does anyone remember when department stores had 'elevator operators'? I remember
    as a [[really) little kid seeing them in the bigger department stores. That was my career goal at the time. I thought it was SO cool. I was also fascinated with those 'tube's they
    put money in and sent off through this elaborate tubing system at the check out area. I don't know what that system was called? Pneumatic something??
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  21.1 KB
    Pneumatic tubes.
    I used to wish I could get in a big Pneumatic tubes that would go to my house, when I was drunk, late at night at a party across town [[and especially when I rode my bicycle there). I used to have to drive my bike back home from 1:00 A.M. till about 2:30, about 30 kilometres to a village east of Bremen, from my friends' house near Oldenburg [[way west of Bremen). I usually felt terrible when I finally arrived. But there were no trains going between those 2 cities after 11:00 PM, and no other public transit. And, cabs for that distance across State lines would have been quite expensive.
    Those bottles that carried the messages or money within large building complexes and their tube systems looked like miniature rapid transit [[monorail) type systems. Which is why I thought of wanting something like that for personal changes of location. They were sort of like Downtown Seattle's monorail, if the cars had a plastic roof and sides to protect the riders from rain and stray bullets.

Banks here still use pneumatic tubes in the drive up lanes. Is that unusual? They've been using them for decades.

Banks here still use pneumatic tubes in the drive up lanes. Is that unusual? They've been using them for decades.
Views: 350
    I haven't seen that in The Netherlands. Most bank branches I've seen don't have driv-up lanes. Most bank transactions are done online. We can't even get cash in the bank. So, they wouldn't send cash in tubes to people in a drive-up lane, even if they had them. We have to use the transaction machines in an enclosed area just outside the bank. Inside the banks are "skeleton crews" - maybe 5-10% of the personnel they used to have, to handle situations that are difficult to handle online. Lots of bank branches are in areas where the bank is just part of a building complex with no large grounds for having a parking lot, or driving lanes. Many, many people don't have autos. Those who do, often don't drive them to city or town centers. They take public transit. It is expensive to park, and petrol is very expensive [[maybe from more than double to more than 3 times as expensive in many places). If they have bank branches near their homes, many people will walk or ride a bicycle to them. It's not like we need to get hundred of pounds of coins from them. The bills and few coins from the machines can be carried in our pockets. Even large-scale merchants don't need all that many coins any more. Most people do ALL their shopping with debit cards. I almost never use cash, and so do all the people I know. Many shops don't accept cash.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    folks that i know/knew used to dress up to go shopping or to the movies. I'm not even sure what "dressed up" means in 2021. Ugghhh... I'm officially my grandparents.
    haaaaaaaaaaaa..jerry i knw folks who would[dress up]to answer the front door,times have changed!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 350
    I haven't seen that in The Netherlands. Most bank branches I've seen don't have driv-up lanes. Most bank transactions are done online. We can't even get cash in the bank. So, they wouldn't send cash in tubes to people in a drive-up lane, even if they had them. We have to use the transaction machines in an enclosed area just outside the bank. Inside the banks are "skeleton crews" - maybe 5-10% of the personnel they used to have, to handle situations that are difficult to handle online. Lots of bank branches are in areas where the bank is just part of a building complex with no large grounds for having a parking lot, or driving lanes. Many, many people don't have autos. Those who do, often don't drive them to city or town centers. They take public transit. It is expensive to park, and petrol is very expensive [[maybe from more than double to more than 3 times as expensive in many places). If they have bank branches near their homes, many people will walk or ride a bicycle to them. It's not like we need to get hundred of pounds of coins from them. The bills and few coins from the machines can be carried in our pockets. Even large-scale merchants don't need all that many coins any more. Most people do ALL their shopping with debit cards. I almost never use cash, and so do all the people I know. Many shops don't accept cash.
    That's a world apart from my experience. My credit union is fully staffed and if I go through the drive-in lane, there's usually a wait. I am one of the few holdouts who still uses cash for 80% of my transactions, thanks largely to the fact that I've had my personal information stolen at least four times and I limit my digital footprint to keep it in as few locations as possible. My credit union once had dumpster divers find thousands of unshredded documents and I'll be surprised if they haven't been hacked as well.

I'm unaware of any stores that no longer accept cash although I'm sure they prefer digital payment.

I remember when I was really little, my Grandmother had one of these in the basement. The damn thing scared the bejesus out of me. That 'wringer' looked
    like something out of a horror movie. She actually got her hand caught in there
    once....see...it'd eat you alive given the chance. My Grandparents finally ditched
    the monster and upgraded to something less sinister looking...and kinder.
Views: 327
    My father's mother had a big, wide-mouthed washtub, a washboard, a wringer, and, although she and my Grandfather had indoor plumbing, they didn't have a garbage disposal. They didn't have forced heating, just a big pot-belly stove and 2 fireplaces [[one above the other on separate floors, channeled into the same smokestack). The house was built in the very early 1900s. Their house in The Netherlands, [[in which I resided for about 40 years) was built in 1882, and although below sea level, luckily wasn't submerged when the dikes broke in 1953. My other grandmother had one of those old circular top-loading centrifugal spin washers, with a ringer attached. She also had a detached, metal washtub. Imagine taking a bath in that, outside in mid winter in Manitoba back during the "mini Ice Age" of The 1940s! [[I don't think so!).

Remember when we kids would be still when visiting someone's house, these little monsters of today will tear your house down before you can blink!

It might not have been as peaceful as you remember, Brother. Did any of your grandmothers and aunts cover their furniture with plastic? There was a reason for that.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...let me explain something my brother, i'm a boomer who was a kid in the[fifties-early sixties]yes even my mom had those covers[it was the thing in those days]but it wasn't to stop us from jumping on any sofas[you think we had a death wish??]it was to protect against spills,we were taught from da crib that you didn't jump on furniure unless it was something old and given as a plaything..even when the old folks weren't home we knew better than to even think about jumping on the living room sofa-chair...we were young but not suicidal,hehehe!!! The mothers of that era didn't play, and don't get me started on...grandma!!!!

Preach. Now you have a two-headed problem. First, if you yell at somebody else's kid, you're the bad guy. Even if the brat broke something that belongs to you by goofing around. Second, kids are so entitled, they have zero problems with destroying your stuff because their parents don't correct them at home. I don't know why a kid would feel compelled to behave because there's nothing to worry about if you get caught acting bad. Today's kids will never experience the dreaded Long Car Ride Home like we did.*

*Didn't those car rides go awfully fast to be so long? I'm still at a loss for which was worse, the ones where I was being yelled at for the whole trip or the quiet ones, where the folks were probably thinking about what they were going to do when we got home.

HAAAAAAA,JERRY YOU AIN'T NEVER LIED, MY MOM'S NUMBER ONE RULE WAS[DON'T LET ME HAVE TO COME TO THE SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN ACTING UP]WELL ME BEING THE KIND OF KID I WAS[STUPID-HEHE]I TESTED MOM'S RULE[and couldn't sit down for two weeks, after]WE LIVED FIVE BLOCKS FROM SCHOOL BUT MOM DRAGGED ME HOME IN WHAT SEEMED LIKE TWO MINUTES!!

I saw this and ran here to share it: