[REMOVE ADS]

Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 67 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,850 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Is that the one where he tells us that the grease he uses is actually recycled pomade? I heard it was a good one.
    I always thought it was old bacon grease.

If I understand correctly, he uses old bacon grease as a personal lubricant. Grady says that he's allergic to K-Y but I think he just likes the smell of bacon during "intimate moments". Also runs it through a strainer and puts it in old motor oil containers that he sells in the alley behind his joint.

THE STATION THAT AIRED IT..[sub cable channel 0.1]REFUSED TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT GRADY MIGHT SHOW ON AIR.

I remember going to the barber as a little kid and getting a crew cut and
    the barber slathering that on my head. I guess it helped the hair in the
    front stand up. It smelled good...but, dear God...you could lay bricks and
    hang wallpaper with that stuff! I probably still have an inch of that adhered
    to my scalp!

I remember getting my afro touched up and having the barber spray enough Afro Sheen on make me run out of the shop for fresh air.

To this day, my barber, Rafael house of fades spray this alcohol that is so cold on your scalp and neck you almost want to jump out of the chair. LOL!!!

Remember when we always addressed our aunts and uncles as-aunt this-uncle that? These kids today don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember when we always addressed our aunts and uncles as-aunt this-uncle that? These kids today don't do it.
    They're too busy staring at their IPhones to addres anyone.

I remember when my mother sat us down and specifically asked us to to that. We had no reason not to since we didn't realize we were being disrespectful. To this day, all of them are "uncle" and "aunt" to me.

Exactly jerry,respect for our elders was something that was ingrained in us from the crib...today there's no crib.

I remember when my mother sat us down and specifically asked us to to that. We had no reason not to since we didn't realize we were being disrespectful. To this day, all of them are "uncle" and "aunt" to me.
    Same here, as well as, addressing adults as "sir" and "ma'am".

I remember my mother grilling me after she observed me in church: You STAND when you shake a woman's hand. I learned later that one should stand when shaking the hand of anyone regardless of gender. Who is teaching the youth of today such pearls?

I was taught to stand in attention every time "Lift Every Voice And Sing" [[the Negro National Anthem, as it was called) was played. Even my white teachers drilled it into us. The song is played every Sunday morning during Black History Month at my church. I work in the sound room with a couple other guys, one of whom is my age, and I'm the only one who stands when they sing it.

Along with such old school teachings as-standing when a lady enters a room,tipping your hat...of course with the women's movement these things might be taken out of context which is sad..tip your hat a get hit with sexual harassment..ladies calm down!!

Man, I still take off my hat in elevators when there are ladies present. And walking down the street with a female, I always make sure I'm on the side of traffic. And I still call my elders "sir" and "ma'am". Not sure why things like manner and decorum have been forgotten in our society but it appears that they're gone forever.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about a generation that thinks it's kosher to walk around with your underwear showing and your pants barely hanging onto your knees.

Jerry,the other day i saw this young dude with a baby trying to hold his pants up with one hand and carry the child with the other...what the hell??????

Great thread. You guys are too funny!

Jerry,the other day i saw this young dude with a baby trying to hold his pants up with one hand and carry the child with the other...what the hell??????
    A few years ago, I went downtown for a niece's graduation and I saw a guy trying to walk across the street while holding his pants up just high enough to cover his knees. It was crazy. He was taking baby steps while everybody else was breezing past him.

And I'll never forget when my cousin got married. He had two groomsmen light candles and one had to stretch up to get the highest one. When he did, the back of his tux raised up to reveal he was sagging! In a tuxedo! Jane, get me off this crazy thing.

Finally, I once worked in a group home. There was a particularly rough kid named Mike who got a $300 clothing voucher so he could get enough nice things to wear to school since he brought next to nothing with him when he was sentenced to us. For some reason, he wanted me to take him to get the clothes. He grabbed $120 worth of things in spite of my telling him to blow the one-time voucher and get as much as he wanted. That was all he wanted though, so I respect it. Well, when we got to the register, he had a pair of size 32 jeans even though he had about a 28 waist.

"Mike," says I. "Do you suppose these are big enough?"

I should have kept my pie hole shut because he looked at them, told me "Good looking out," and replaced them with a pair that was size 36. So glad I was born 20 years before everything went nuts.

Remember those old insect sprays back in the day?..it's a wonder we all ain't dead from those fumes,now that stuff worked..no bug in his right mind would come anywhere near that stuff.

Remember those old insect sprays back in the day?..it's a wonder we all ain't dead from those fumes,now that stuff worked..no bug in his right mind would come anywhere near that stuff.
    JAI, back in the day when I was a kid, they would send the mesquito trucks through the neighborhood with thick, white billowing smoke coming out of them. All the kids would run into that thick fog of pesticide for fun!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    jai, back in the day when i was a kid, they would send the mesquito trucks through the neighborhood with thick, white billowing smoke coming out of them. All the kids would run into that thick fog of pesticide for fun!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...and they call me crazy!!

Remember when almost every neighborhood had a-big junior-little junior,and they weren't related?

Remember when almost every neighborhood had a-big junior-little junior,and they weren't related?
    Yep! My friend Troy was little Junior to his Dad Big Troy or Big Junior. His Dad was in the Black Panthers too!

Remember when the local news was at-6pm and 11pm? Now it's every fifteen minutes!

Remember when the local news was at-6pm and 11pm? Now it's every fifteen minutes!
    Yep! The also use to call the brief update at 12 midnight "The Sign Off Edition" and the National Anthem was played and then nothing but snow until the next morning! LOL!!!

Yep! The also use to call the brief update at 12 midnight "The Sign Off Edition" and the National Anthem was played and then nothing but snow until the next morning! LOL!!!
    Remember when there were cartoons on Saturday mornings and if you were lucky, creature features on Saturday afternoons? Now, they have live action shows and reality TV on Saturday mornings and infomercials in the afternoon until the sports shows come on. Infomercials!

Remember when there were cartoons on Saturday mornings and if you were lucky, creature features on Saturday afternoons? Now, they have live action shows and reality TV on Saturday mornings and infomercials in the afternoon until the sports shows come on. Infomercials!
    Jerry yes I remember. That all changed in 1990 when the networks began dropping cartoons from the their Sat. morning schedules. They claimed animated shows were too expensive.

Here's how it use to go in the 60s and 70s at my house. Up at 7:30 am on Sat. Have a bowl of some super, sugary sweet cereal and milk, then on came the TV for the start of the cartoons. The cartoons on all three networks would run up to about noon. Then you had shows like The Monkees or Children's Playhouse that showed short films directed towards kids,etc. Then after 1pm we had "Sir Graves Ghastly" who hosted "Monster Movies" every Sat afternoon on WJBK, Channel 2 Detroit! LOL! We watched him every weekend from the time I was in the 3rd Grade until I was almost out of high school:

We had pretty much the same routine, except Columbus didn't have Saturday afternoon movies until we got cable. Then, Superhost came on channel 43 from Cleveland. Super Corny would have been a better name because he was also their main news anchor during the week, but with a poor-fitting Superman suit and red makeup on his nose. He made me laugh involuntarily during the news because I kept seeing Superhost talking about fires and bank robberies. Then, the Ghoul came on channel 61 at midnight [[I think we talked about him) and he was the best ever, including Elvira [[except for her perfect boobs). After he got fired, we watched Hoolihan & Big Chuck on yet another Cleveland channel late on Saturday night.

Cable TV changed the game for me and my friends.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 06-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.

True dat, Jerry! And once the Afro Sheen fog cleared, then the leftover hairs on your neck and back started itching like crazy! You couldn't wait to get home to either wash your new cut in the sink or take a shower!!

Yup! We kids weren't even allowed to use our female kinfolks name. They were simply Auntie, Grandma. Go figure! But I agree with everyone: respect was behind it all.

Lakeside, you're on to something. A study was done back in the 2000's with some teens. They took away all their electronic devices for a week. And were told to find another way to communicate. It was suggested to write a letter, for example. To say those younguns were clueless was an understatement!!

Arr&bee, that's on point! Black Flag! Raid! [[The commercial showed the roaches screaming, Raid! And then exploding!!)

Jerry yes I remember. That all changed in 1990 when the networks began dropping cartoons from the their Sat. morning schedules. They claimed animated shows were too expensive.

Here's how it use to go in the 60s and 70s at my house. Up at 7:30 am on Sat. Have a bowl of some super, sugary sweet cereal and milk, then on came the TV for the start of the cartoons. The cartoons on all three networks would run up to about noon. Then you had shows like The Monkees or Children's Playhouse that showed short films directed towards kids,etc. Then after 1pm we had "Sir Graves Ghastly" who hosted "Monster Movies" every Sat afternoon on WJBK, Channel 2 Detroit! LOL! We watched him every weekend from the time I was in the 3rd Grade until I was almost out of high school:

Don't forget Soul Train [[The Hippest Trip In America). And some kung-fu movies and then, and only then, were we free to go outside to play.

Speaking of which, this generation doesn't have to go outside to play. They got everything they need in their room! Plus social media!!

Man, I still take off my hat in elevators when there are ladies present. And walking down the street with a female, I always make sure I'm on the side of traffic. And I still call my elders "sir" and "ma'am". Not sure why things like manner and decorum have been forgotten in our society but it appears that they're gone forever.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about a generation that thinks it's kosher to walk around with your underwear showing and your pants barely hanging onto your knees.
    How true. In elevators and indoors. I'm 55, and I still take off my hat indoors! Even when no one else does!

JAI, back in the day when I was a kid, they would send the mesquito trucks through the neighborhood with thick, white billowing smoke coming out of them. All the kids would run into that thick fog of pesticide for fun!
    What the bombs and fumigators. You had to leave the house for hours. And you folks usually scheduled it when you favorite shows were either on or about to come on!!!

To your second point, Jerry: I truly believe it also ramped up after corporate world's Casual Friday engulfed the whole week! It's nothing to see biz people decked out in a stained logo t, pre-ripped/holed ratty jeans, and runned-over-by-a-Mack truck sneeks!! And don't get me started on the multi-,colored hair [[didn't Grandma start that trend in the ,'60',s?!)

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    To your second point, Jerry: I truly believe it also ramped up after corporate world's Casual Friday engulfed the whole week! It's nothing to see biz people decked out in a stained logo t, pre-ripped/holed ratty jeans, and runned-over-by-a-Mack truck sneeks!! And don't get me started on the multi-,colored hair [[didn't Grandma start that trend in the ,'60',s?!)
    ...or flip-flops/sliders, also with matching logo!!!!

Try this one on for size: whatever happened to customer service? The customer's always right? You go into a brick and mortar, and can stand for hours and the associate can be right behind you and ignore! And don't ask a question. Which never really comes up. Cause he's having a very animated conversation on his cellphone or eating. And proceeds to turn his back on you!! The gall! Arsenio used to say, things that make you go hmmmmm.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa..and try finding a manager,heck if and when one comes they might know less than the poor associate..customer service-gone to hell!!!

We had pretty much the same routine, except Columbus didn't have Saturday afternoon movies until we got cable. Then, Superhost came on channel 43 from Cleveland. Super Corny would have been a better name because he was also their main news anchor during the week, but with a poor-fitting Superman suit and red makeup on his nose. He made me laugh involuntarily during the news because I kept seeing Superhost talking about fires and bank robberies. Then, the Ghoul came on channel 61 at midnight [[I think we talked about him) and he was the best ever, including Elvira [[except for her perfect boobs). After he got fired, we watched Hoolihan & Big Chuck on yet another Cleveland channel late on Saturday night.

I remember channel 43 in Cleveland. We could pick it up sometimes after it rained. Detroit had a number of notable local movie hosts from Bill Kennedy, to Rita Bell, Sir Graves and others. CKLW Channel 9 out of Windsor, Ontario had their own set of great locally produced shows. Being so close to Detroit and Toledo, we considered it one of our local stations.

If you want to check out a pretty good Horror Movie Channel with in studio hosts, check out "Newcastle After Dark" here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...cbBI083GmKRY3A

Try this one on for size: whatever happened to customer service? The customer's always right? You go into a brick and mortar, and can stand for hours and the associate can be right behind you and ignore! And don't ask a question. Which never really comes up. Cause he's having a very animated conversation on his cellphone or eating. And proceeds to turn his back on you!! The gall! Arsenio used to say, things that make you go hmmmmm.
    Whatever happened to customer service? It moved to India! " Hello I am Bob, Pleased to be speaking to you now........"! LOL!

Don't forget Soul Train [[The Hippest Trip In America). And some kung-fu movies and then, and only then, were we free to go outside to play.

Speaking of which, this generation doesn't have to go outside to play. They got everything they need in their room! Plus social media!!
    Oh yeah, Soul Train came on later in the afternoon in Detroit on the same channel as Sir Graves Ghastly, but that was later on into the 70s. When I moved to Denver to go to school, it was very strange. Soul Train did not come on out there until around 1 am in the morning. I remember asking people why and was told that there was not a big market for Soul Train in Colorado at that time. Hmmmm.........LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Nah we had to go outside and play! My mother did not allow kids playing all over her house. Now we could use the basement to, but that was when the weather was really bad,etc. From the time my father tied my shoes up at age 3 and set me back on the ground, we were off to the races playing with any and every kid we could find for blocks around. LOL!

I think I mentioned this before. We did not get cable TV until around 1982-83 and I did not see it until I came home on school breaks. All through the 60s and 70s we only got local channels with a roof antenna. We got one of those big rotary tower antenna's in 1973 which allowed us to get a few more independent channels in Detroit and a few more Canadian stations up into Ontario. Honestly, we did not know cable TV even existed until the 80s.

This is what we saw at "the end of the broadcasting day..." where I lived. LOL!

In earlier years, it went something like this:

Because we were so close to Canada, we also got this at night:

I remember channel 43 in Cleveland. We could pick it up sometimes after it rained. Detroit had a number of notable local movie hosts from Bill Kennedy, to Rita Bell, Sir Graves and others. CKLW Channel 9 out of Windsor, Ontario had their own set of great locally produced shows. Being so close to Detroit and Toledo, we considered it one of our local stations.

If you want to check out a pretty good Horror Movie Channel with in studio hosts, check out "Newcastle After Dark" here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...cbBI083GmKRY3A
    We didn't have Saturday afternoon movie hosts but we had Flippo the Clown in the daytime between 4PM and 6PM. Flippo was more talk than movie and he told the stalest jokes. He went off the air right when I started to figure out his brand of humor. We also had Fritz the Night Owl, who popped up and took over Chiller Theater, which was our Friday night creature feature in the mid-70s. He was pretty cool. The absolute worst was a guy named Jerry Beck who hosted the Almost All Night Theater, which literally showed 10 minutes of movie followed by 10 minutes of Jerry Beck talking about... nothing. It came on at midnight Saturday, was three hours long and I never survived one episode.

I think I mentioned this before. We did not get cable TV until around 1982-83 and I did not see it until I came home on school breaks. All through the 60s and 70s we only got local channels with a roof antenna. We got one of those big rotary tower antenna's in 1973 which allowed us to get a few more independent channels in Detroit and a few more Canadian stations up into Ontario. Honestly, we did not know cable TV even existed until the 80s.
    We got cable in the mid-70s. I remember when HBO started at 5:00 PM every day [[went off around midnight or 1AM). Everybody in junior high was captivated by HBO. The cable company sent a little TV guide with HBO programming with the monthly bill and I'd rip the envelope open as soon as it arrived to see what was coming on.

Does anybody remember Pong? It was the first computer game. Who could have predicted that it would lead to things like Mortal Kombat, where the goal is beat down your opponent in a martial arts contest. Some video games are complex and rendered as realistically as movies, who would have thought something so simple would evolve that way?

We didn't have Saturday afternoon movie hosts but we had Flippo the Clown in the daytime between 4PM and 6PM. Flippo was more talk than movie and he told the stalest jokes. He went off the air right when I started to figure out his brand of humor. We also had Fritz the Night Owl, who popped up and took over Chiller Theater, which was our Friday night creature feature in the mid-70s. He was pretty cool. The absolute worst was a guy named Jerry Beck who hosted the Almost All Night Theater, which literally showed 10 minutes of movie followed by 10 minutes of Jerry Beck talking about... nothing. It came on at midnight Saturday, was three hours long and I never survived one episode.
    I saw Chiller Theater before when they tried syndicating it for the Detroit/Toledo market. It lasted only a few months I believe. "Flippo the Clown"? LOL!!!!